Need ideas for outdoor country wedding!
Ok ladies, I'm not a very creative person, so I need some help! The FH and I are from a very small town filled with farms. I would really love to incorporate the country aspect into our wedding. I plan on wearing cowboy boots with my dress and also possibly having my bridesmaids where boots with short dresses. I really want to have orange be a main color because I LOVE IT! I'd love to incorporate horseshoes and all sorts of country/farm things. The picture below is of a cake I found on the internet that I would love to be my cake.

Married: 09/21/2013
Posted On: Mar 27, 2011 at 8:09 PM • Vendors are allowed • Add to My WatchlistFlag As Inappropriate1 like

19 Comments | Login or Signup to post a comment!
Mar 27, 2011 at 8:31 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
Your flower arrangements could be in old boots ore cowboy hats! I would just start a 'country/cowboy/farm' brain storm list and see what you come up with. Then incorporate the things you like best...tractors, horses, hay bails, pitch forks? :)

starlette7886
Married: 12/03/2011
Mar 27, 2011 at 8:38 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
I've planned a few country weddings in my time, so this is what I've done for them:
1) A barn is a GORGEOUS venue for a reception. It's rustic and fun. You can set it up the same way you would any other venue. If you have someone you know that owns one that is sturdy and large enough to hold you and your guests, you might be able to get them to either rent it to you for cheap, or allow you to use it for free, which is a real budget saver. The barn may also already be decorated with the horeshoes and other things you're wishing to incorporate.
2) While you wearing boots would be fine, I strongly reccomend against having your BM's wear them unless you'd like to go from classy country to "My Big Redneck Wedding." I know it sounds like fun, but in the grand scheme of things, it just looks tacky for such a dignified event.
3) Your wedding is showing to be in September, and orage would be a great color for that time of year, because it would fall into an Autumn theme (no pun intended).

starlette7886
Mar 27, 2011 at 8:45 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
(cont) I would suggest maybe chocolate and silver as your accent colors to tie in the silver horseshoes and add a darker accent color to what is normally a brighter color.
4) I LOVE the cake photo :) You could totally just change the colors used to your pretty orange an viola! :)
5) For your centerpieces, you can't go wrong with Mason jars for a country themed wedding. Catch them when they are most plentiful, which is during late spring and early summer when most people are preserving produce. They are usually cheaper at that time as well. The quart sizes are the best for arranging flowers, but depending on the length of the stem and type of flower you're going with, the pint sizes may work as well. The best part? You can invite your guests to take the centerpieces home and have them re-use the Mason jars. That way, every time they can something in the jar(s), they will think of the memories they shared with you and your FH on your special day. :)

starlette7886
Mar 27, 2011 at 8:49 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
6) I totally forgot to mention the ceremony venue lol...
If you can find a farm with a pretty lake/pond that is surrounded by pretty willows, oaks, maples, etc., that would be absolutely perfect for an outdoor ceremony. To save money on rentals, request your catering company to move the chairs used at the ceremony into the barn for the reception so that you're not paying for two sets of chairs.

I hope this helps. :)

Private User
Married: 1+ year ago
Mar 27, 2011 at 8:52 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
I know someone who used mason jars as center pieces and had some daisies as the flowers. I thought it looked really nice.

How about paper lanterns as well?

One of my cousins wore her cowboy boots with a long dress, and it helped her mix up the look she had in some of her pics! Her BMs wore dark red knee-length dresses with boots as well. She walked down the isle to Tim McGraw's Watch the Wind Blow By - I thought it was really beautiful but I am a little biased ;)

Private User
Married: 1+ year ago
Mar 27, 2011 at 8:54 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
And starlette I can see what you're saying about boots for BMs kind of being "iffy" but I personally think it more depends on the dresses they use and how the boots work with the dress :) Just IMO

shibben

Hibben Photography
Mar 27, 2011 at 8:56 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
if there are trees around, we have done several weddings southern style that had mason jars hanging from the trees with fake or real candles in them. Tie some twine around and hang them from a branch. You can get the little lights that have a AAA battery in them & they will last for hours. do about 25 of them to keep down the work & really adds to the look

starlette7886
Mar 27, 2011 at 9:00 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
I agree Anna. It really does depend on the type of dress you pair with it.
Shibben: Thank you for reminding me! I did that for a bride once, and it was beautiful. There are instructions online if you search for "mason jar lanterns."

Married: 05/27/2011
Mar 27, 2011 at 9:01 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
i found a pattern for corn husk roses. ill have to see if i can find them online and send you a pic, or if you want them ill e mail you the how to.

Married: 05/27/2011
Mar 27, 2011 at 9:10 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mfobrien/3294375718/
http://www.hort.cornell.edu/art/gallery/2010fallprojects.html pictures 5 and 7
BLOSSOMY on etsy has LOTS of neat stuff. hope this helps.

Didi
Married: 05/15/2013
Mar 27, 2011 at 9:27 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
Katie, I am so excited to see someone who is getting married the month that I am!! I have heard from so many people, "Isn't your date a little far away to be planning already?" UGH!

I just want to get a head start and figure out my budget, plus this is fun!

I love your wedding cake inspiration, and the boots as well.

Here are some pics I got when I searched for country theme wedding. Hope it helps!!

Didi
Mar 27, 2011 at 9:28 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
Here are a few more!

starlette7886
Mar 27, 2011 at 9:30 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
It's NEVER too early to start planning and saving for a wedding, especially if you're footing 50% or more of the bill. Weddings are just plain expensive (no matter how much you try to save), and the longer you plan and save, the better it will turn out. I HATE when I ask a bride when her date is, and it's like 6 months away. I'm like, "I'm a wedding planner, not a miracle worker!" lol

Didi
Mar 27, 2011 at 9:49 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
@starlette, I wish everyone thought like you!! When I went to the open house of the venue I want to use, 90% of the vendors I talked to looked at me like I had 5 heads when I said I was a 2013 bride. LOL. I am used to it by now though. I would rather know what I want and have it set in my head (and my wedding binder) early, and then just save save save to pay for it before the big day! :)

Married: 07/30/2011
Reviews: 5
Mar 27, 2011 at 9:51 PM • Flag As Inappropriate

Edited On: Mar 27, 2011 at 9:52 PM

Hayley C™
Married: 2+ years ago
Reviews: 1
Mar 27, 2011 at 9:59 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
HI Katie
Welcome to WW !
There are a lot of DIY brides on here that will have tons of ideas to share.
Can't wait to hear about your plans.

Figure out your budget, how much you can save per week out of your paycheck, and multiply that by the number of weeks until your wedding. Then use the budget tool on here to help you stay on track.

Here are some some mason jar ideas...

Edited On: Mar 27, 2011 at 10:02 PM

Hayley C™
Married: 2+ years ago
Mar 28, 2011 at 1:55 AM • Flag As Inappropriate
also, I think cowboy boots on your girls would look cute.... if they all have them go for it... but if they are not cowboy boot kinda girls, maybe they can get heeled boots with hardware on them to have a cowboy boot feel to them.

Married: 05/29/2011
Mar 28, 2011 at 9:14 AM • Flag As Inappropriate
Bing an early fall wedding w/country flair, you could opt for sunflowers...they come in gorgeous shades of red and orange, besides the typical sunny yellow. Gathered together with twine, maybe some wheat heads popping out. I had a cousin married in the '90s w/country flair. All the groomsmen wore black western suits and hats, and danced to the old "achey brakey heart". Mmmm mmm - good looking guys!

Married: 09/21/2013
Mar 28, 2011 at 12:40 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
Thanks for all the great ideas! They are very helpful and I love all the pictures! Alot of people have given me ideas with the red checkered pattern and hankerchiefs but I kind of want to veer away from that aspect of country because it just reminds me of a picnic lol. One concern I have for my girls wearing boots are that they won't match. I am one of those people who can't stand for bridesmaids, ball teams, etc. not to be wearing matching shoes lol. I have thought about searching for some that won't be very expensive and buying them for the girls as maybe their bridesmaid gifts but i dont know yet. What do you all think?
Login or Signup to post a comment!

Topics

Vow of Conduct