My son posted this on his FB...Good Question What do you think???
Question of the day: If divorce was illegal & you could only get married once & that was it. Would you wait till your 30s to get married? 40s? 50s? Higher? To make sure you were positive that your future spouse was truly the one you wanted to be with FOREVER? Would you ever even get married then? Let me know I'm curious.

Married: 2+ years ago
Posted On: Jun 24, 2010 at 7:28 PM • Vendors are allowed • Add to My WatchlistFlag As Inappropriate1 like

43 Comments | Login or Signup to post a comment!
«123»

Mrs. Johnson
Married: 07/02/2011
Reviews: 6
Jun 24, 2010 at 7:32 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
I would say 30's at least... You seem to have most of the bugs worked out by then, and then I'd wait until you really really know.

Good questions Mom

*~WiiFeY~*
Reviews: 1
Jun 24, 2010 at 7:33 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
Hmm, that's a really good question. My FS and I are going into our marriage with the theory "divorce isn't any option" Of course, there are acceptable reasons, and obviously if we DO grow to hate each other, it might be best (especially if we have kids) but we both want to give it every thing we have before we even THINK about divorce.

For me, the answer to the question is no. I wouldn't wait.. I guess in my case, FS and I have been together for 7 1/2 years and if I don't know by now- I'll NEVER know.

Married: 10/03/2009
Jun 24, 2010 at 7:33 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
Well, in PI, is IS illegal....and EVERYONE is either unhappy or keeps a mistress. Well, ok not everyone, but a LOT of people! (including my family there, it's pretty commonplace).
I don't plan on getting a divorce, and I know I have the right guy. But, I am glad I didn't marry *too* young. I know my DS feels the same way, and he is 10 yrs older.

Sunny
Married: 06/18/2011
Jun 24, 2010 at 7:38 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
I'd still get married right now (24). Thats the reason I'm getting married- because I truly believe we'll be together forever.

Married: 10/16/2010
Reviews: 7
Jun 24, 2010 at 7:39 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
I agree with Analy not on the whole illegal thing...I am still 100% sure you can get divorce in VA ;-) but on the whole plan on divorce thing. I am 30 now and I "thought" I had "found the one" but didn't because it never felt like this. I am glad I waited until now, the only problem I forsee with your whole illegal thing, is I wonder if it makes people feel...well what if I meet someone better. That whole I am sure I can do better and since I can only do it once...I might as well wait. You might just be missing out on something great. Just looking at it from the other side. I love that part in The Bronx Tale when Sonny tells "C" about getting three great loves...what if you keep looking for your last love and you miss them. Just playing the other side.

Married: 05/25/2012
Jun 24, 2010 at 7:47 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
if divorce was illegal I'd get married 5 day's after my 21st birthday...just like I already plan to.

Married: 03/26/2011
Jun 24, 2010 at 7:51 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
If it was illegal I'd still be where I am..... I've been engaged four times and ran the other way three times because I wasn't positive. Now at 27 I know I'm doing the right thing and am completely ready to put full effort into the commitment.

Brian Cesario Photography, LLC
Jun 24, 2010 at 7:56 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
You know, I had to take some time to think about this, Mom N; this is really thought-provoking! I don't know that there's a certain point in life when we've gotten all of the "bugs worked out", like Future Mrs. Johnson said. I know some people who just graduated high school and have both feet planted firmly on the ground and know what they want out of life. Likewise, I know people in their late 40's who still act and think like wild 'n crazy teenagers. Granted, life experience usually equates to more stability, and thus a more critical eye (and heart) when it comes to relationships. I think a lot of this has to do with knowing yourself and what you need and want in a relationship first, and that can happen at anytime in life. If I ever do decide to marry, I'd probably wait until I was in my 40's. And, for me, divorce may as well be illegal because I perceive marriage as an eternal commitment, so you better know what you're doing when you put that ring on your partner's finger.

Married: 10/10/2010
Reviews: 7
Jun 24, 2010 at 7:56 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
It wouldn't change my behavior. Legal or not, it's NOT an option for me! I do think that some people enter it lightly or think that they can get divorced if it doesn't work out. In my opinion, that's not a marriage. This is forever. Case closed.

Married: 07/31/2010
Jun 24, 2010 at 8:00 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
Well said Erin, I'm with you on that!

He-Gives-Me-Butterflyz
Married: 09/17/2010
Jun 24, 2010 at 8:18 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
I'd do it all the same... It's "illegal" for me already. Really! Not an option. We're getting married because we're certain we want to, not because we know there's an out through divorce.

Wifey To Be!
Jun 24, 2010 at 8:20 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
I would still marry FH tomorrow... no hesitations. :)However, I don't think anyone ever thinks they will actually end up in divorce when they get married. It's not exactly something you think about much when you're planning your wedding! lol

Jun 24, 2010 at 9:06 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
ANALY what state is PI
This is a thought provoking question. Marriage should be forever.

Married: 07/24/2010
Jun 24, 2010 at 9:10 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
This is thought provoking. It all depends on the person. For me, waiting to get a bit older seems better.

But, if a law said that you could only marry once, and you waited until you were, say 50, I wonder how many out-of-wedlock children there would be.

Jun 24, 2010 at 9:12 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
That is so true..Just because you could not marry does not mean people would not be living together, and having children.

Married: 10/01/2010
Jun 24, 2010 at 9:25 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
I would have waited until I was at least in my 30s.

sarah
Married: 08/28/2010
Jun 24, 2010 at 9:50 PM • 
This post has been flagged by the WeddingWire Community and is now hidden.

DreamComeTrue
Married: 06/25/2011
Jun 24, 2010 at 9:59 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
Really great question! I'd deff wait till 30 the same age I am now because I feel comfortable in my own skin and ready to share my life (that ive lived fully on my own) with someone else!

Fernnie
Married: 06/12/2010
Reviews: 5
Jun 24, 2010 at 10:46 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
I would wait until my 30's. I was 19 the first time I got married. Now that I look back I should have waited not because I wasnt ready its because he wasnt ready and he was 25. I agree with Brian C. Age doenst really have a factor in how prepared a person is to handle things in life.

Married: 06/12/2010
Reviews: 5
Jun 24, 2010 at 10:52 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
I still would have done it. There's no sense in getting married if you're plotting your escape at any age. The whole point is to be committed forever, regardless of how long you were together beforehand, your age, ect. I've known several couples who have been married for 20 years who dated for 3 months before getting married. Your commitment has to be high. If it isn't, then don't bother.
Login or Signup to post a comment!
«123»

Topics

Vow of Conduct