Is ok to propose without a ring??
I had this convo with a friend & she feels that she would prefer a cz at least rather than not having a ring at all. I personally think its ok to propose without one because its the meaning behind the proposal not the ring. Whats your opinion??

Married: 01/29/2011
Posted On: Aug 10, 2010 at 11:18 PM • Vendors are allowed • Add to My WatchlistFlag As Inappropriate1 like

101 Comments | Login or Signup to post a comment!

Brian Cesario Photography, LLC
Aug 10, 2010 at 11:21 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
I agree with you, Michelle. The ring is nothing more than a tangible symbol. The decision to marry someone cannot be purchased for any amount of money. And now, I'll be getting harassed by every jeweler in the Western hemisphere... :-)

Aug 10, 2010 at 11:23 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
@brian lol...but true its just a piece of material

I Yee Yee
Married: 07/15/2011
My opinion is that I would prefer to have a ring. My mom made the comment once that there's an underlying purpose for having a ring. Rings cost money . . . saving money takes time . . . therefore the time it takes him to save the money, he can think over his decision and not jump the gun. Also, I'd prefer the money to be saved and laid down at one time so we don't have a ring payment hanging over our heads. My FH did it this way, and I was very proud he did. Not that the ring has to be the nicest thing in the world, but something chosen within budget and meaning. I think it says a lot when someone goes through the trouble of saving, deciding and planning a proposal. That's my opinion.

I Yee Yee
**and with meaning

Married: 12/19/2010
Reviews: 5
Aug 10, 2010 at 11:24 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
I would have been fine without one. I did get a temporary ring (not even CZ engagement) for the first 6 months and then got my ring for a Christmas present though. I don't think it makes a difference though.

Aug 10, 2010 at 11:25 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
@ianthe i can see your point so if he brought you a sterling silver CZ ring, would that be good enough? If he proposed without one would you have said no??

I Yee Yee
Aug 10, 2010 at 11:29 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
I had someone propose without one. I just thought it was tacky because, just as you are saying, I would have been happy with even a CZ. Something to show he put some effort forth, you know? It could have been a $50 with my initial in it, bought from a mall kiosk. I just think there's a lot of meaning behind the planning necessary to get the ring, even if it's not the shiniest thing in the world. Just give me SOMETHING, other wise it's just another one of our discussions. LOL!

Aug 10, 2010 at 11:31 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
@ianthe...lol thats well put i can def. see your point

Married: 2+ years ago
Reviews: 6
Aug 10, 2010 at 11:31 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
The ring to me is proof of how commited the person is to proposing. It's not really about the perk of accepting jewelry, how big the diamond is, whether it's gold or platinum or titanium...those are just details...but if my FS had proposed without a ring, I have to admit, I'd be bummed because I would feel like he didn't try that hard because it's not as important as it should be to him. I don't know if that makes any sense. Even an inexpensive ring is better than no ring. Also..the thought of my man paying for a ring with his hard earned cash is very sexy to me cus it means he worked hard for a romantic purpose. :) And anytime I've ever seen someone propose without a ring, it turned into a break up.

I Yee Yee
Aug 10, 2010 at 11:33 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
There is something sexy about knowing he planned, saved and used his hard earned money on it. :o)

MelKel
Married: 05/23/2010
Reviews: 5
Aug 10, 2010 at 11:33 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
@Ianthe, I agree with you. I want to know thought was put into it. I don't need fireworks (although I did get them ), but I do want effort.

Aug 10, 2010 at 11:34 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
@mrs.turner2b it makes alot of sense...here is a question you guys just couldnt afford it & he wanted to propose right away would that make it ok

Aug 10, 2010 at 11:36 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
Very good points ladies... i think my thoughts may have been changed cause what you guys are saying makes alot of sense

I Yee Yee
Aug 10, 2010 at 11:36 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
If we couldn't afford it and he wanted to propose right away, it would send a big red flare into my dark night sky. :o)

Aug 10, 2010 at 11:37 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
I guess a proposal with no ring is like a wedding with no vows

I Yee Yee
Aug 10, 2010 at 11:38 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
It would suggest he is impulsive . . . and marriage is such a big decision that it would lead me to wonder about what other decisions he is or has been impulsive about. You know? I'd also wonder how those decisions have burned him/ worked out for him.

Aug 10, 2010 at 11:38 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
@ianthe yeah it could send a red flag

But what if he wanted a long engagement so he could get things together

Married: 07/01/2012
Aug 10, 2010 at 11:39 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
I don't have my e-ring yet. But for us its also an outward symbol. We are in a committed realtionship and have been for over 4 years and that isn't changing because I wear a ring. He'll wear a symbol finally when we get married so why do I have to wear a ring for over 12 months and get comments on it from strangers and family that I don't want or need. We have talked about marrage since before our son was born. But for us the economics of real life come into play. I have two children from a previos marrage and we have our son together they take presidence when money is discussed so our rings sit at the jewlers on layaway. I might get my ring and the "offical" proposal around my b-day in december but it might ot be till feb.

Aug 10, 2010 at 11:39 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
There is no reason for these questions i am just picking your brains

Brian Cesario Photography, LLC
Aug 10, 2010 at 11:40 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
This is an interesting discussion. I do have to wonder, though, how we can associate buying a ring with "planning"? I mean, truth be told, I could go to Blue Nile or Amazon, choose a ring, finance it directly through them (hey, it's the American way to pay for everything!), and bang-zoom, I'm done and can propose to my girlfriend. The total time I would need to invest? Maybe 10 minutes.
Login or Signup to post a comment!

Topics

Vow of Conduct