Honorariums for Minister
Hi brides-to-be!

FH and I met with our minister last night for the first look at our wedding ceremony. He is a great guy who had actually baptized my FH as a child and is an old family friend from way back with him and FFIL going to university together. He is a retired minister although he has church privileges in the church he used to preach. I was curious about the honorarium we are to pay him and he just said to pay what we felt we could afford. We are not getting married in a church so do not have any idea what amount to pay him. He will be invited to the reception after the ceremony as well.

What is a good honorarium to give?

Married: 01/21/2012
Reviews: 3
Posted On: May 12, 2011 at 3:27 PM • Vendors are allowed • Add to My WatchlistFlag As Inappropriate1 like

9 Comments | Login or Signup to post a comment!

Beth G
Married: 2+ years ago
May 12, 2011 at 3:36 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
I would think at least $100. It seems he is a valued family friend. Also, since he is coming to your location (outside of his church) you might want to factor in travel/inconvenience costs.
May 13, 2011 at 12:11 AM • Flag As Inappropriate
If he's married, invite his wife, too -- since he's a family friend. If you think cash would offend him, give him a gift.

Married: 01/21/2012
Reviews: 3
May 13, 2011 at 9:11 AM • Flag As Inappropriate
Do most people pay $100 or a gift to their officiant? I always thought you paid a lot more. When he asked us to pay what we could afford I just assumed that he was just being polite as he is a family friend and didn't want to discuss the money. Our wedding budget is $30 000 so I assumed I would be paying much more than $100 for him to officiate.

Married: 10/01/2011
Reviews: 14
May 13, 2011 at 9:14 AM • Flag As Inappropriate
My wedding budget is right around yours and we are paying him $175, inviting him and his wife to the reception and rehearsal dinner, corsage for her and boutonniere for him, listing him in wedding program. I have known the Elder performing my ceremony for about 7 years and we travel in the same circles. So not quite the same relationship but I think $150-200 is fine.
May 13, 2011 at 9:16 AM • Flag As Inappropriate
My fee to officiate starts at $200 and goes up the farther I have to travel. Just to give you an idea.

Married: 09/21/2012
Reviews: 2
May 13, 2011 at 9:24 AM • Flag As Inappropriate
Our pastor requires $100 which is not bad at all for members. We will also invite his family to the reception and get him a small gift of some sort
Edited On: May 13, 2011 at 9:25 AM

Married: 11/20/2010
May 13, 2011 at 9:33 AM • Flag As Inappropriate
Just from my experience, the secretary at out church told us the amount varied from $300 to $10,000; plus we had to pay $2,500 for the church; plus $100 to the church volunteer; plus $500 to the church's organ player; plus donate all ceremony flowers to the church.

Married: 2+ years ago
Reviews: 6
May 13, 2011 at 9:35 AM • Flag As Inappropriate
We paid $770 for the use of the church and they said that included the minister fee, are we suppose to give something on top of that? Ohmigosh, I didn't realize.

Married: 06/19/2003
Jun 19, 2013 at 9:17 AM • Flag As Inappropriate
Start by asking the clergy if he/she has an honorarium rate(nicer that a 'fee'.)When thinking about an honorarium, remember that he/she will perform the sacrament for the marriage, not just the wedding (celebration.) Remember that clergy do not take a vow of poverty. Their training, counsel, and time are worth something, aren't they? So much money is spent on the wedding, flowers, photos, and party, without much thought about the person who actually united the couple. All this being said, the guideline should be a mimumun of $250 plus travel expenses, if out of town. This should include mileage, hotel, per diem for food. Also they should be invited to the rehearsal dinner and the wedding & reception. Clergy are responsible for sealing the deal. They've been with you for the counseling, preparation, family and bridal party angst, so shouldn't they be invited for the fun, too?
Login or Signup to post a comment!

Topics

Vow of Conduct