HMR: Tipping a Sandals Butler?
So some of the Sandals resorts come with butlers....do you tip them?

Private User
Married: 2+ years ago
Reviews: 5
Posted On: Nov 29, 2010 at 3:47 PM • Vendors are allowed • Add to My WatchlistFlag As Inappropriate1 like

23 Comments | Login or Signup to post a comment!
«12»

FMS, the barefoot wife!
Reviews: 10
Nov 29, 2010 at 3:48 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
Good question! I was also wondering about tipping staff at Sandals.

Private User
Nov 29, 2010 at 3:56 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
I know most all inclusives don't allow tipping. But I've never had Butler service, so I don't know.

Private User
Nov 29, 2010 at 4:07 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
*bump* Travel agents? anybody?

Sharon
Married: 06/04/2010
Reviews: 6
Nov 29, 2010 at 4:10 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
we had a concierge/butler at the villa and we tipped him, and also the cleaning crew at the end of our stay. Even if it had been all inclusive, we would have still tipped him.

Married: 05/21/2010
Reviews: 15
Nov 29, 2010 at 4:13 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
As far as I'm concerned, you should ALWAYS tip hotel/resort staff. The general rule of thumb at a moderate-to-nice place is $5 per night that you stay there; more if you make a particularly impressive mess.

It's also best to leave tips daily rather than at the end, since different people may be on duty different days.

FMS, the barefoot wife!
Nov 29, 2010 at 4:16 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
Thanks ladies!
Not to hijack, but what about then you eat at the resturants? Are we supposed to tip $5 per meal? that's at least $15/day x 7 days equals $105

Private User
Married: 1+ year ago
Nov 29, 2010 at 4:20 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
I don't know about Sandals, but when we went to AI resort in Mexico, we brought along $10-15 tip/day, and even though the helping staff did not expect tips, they were happy to get them and I saw most others tipped as well. And they definitely deserved all the tips we gave them. Although we didn't have a butler (ooh fancy!), we did have a cleaning person, mini fridge restock person, afternoon turndown service guy, so we left tips for them, and would tip the people serving our food, and bartenders who prepared our drinks.

Private User
Nov 29, 2010 at 4:26 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
Ok, yeah that makes sense.

FMS, the barefoot wife!
Nov 29, 2010 at 4:31 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
@ Jass So, you split the 10-15/day to tip everyone?

Ab
Married: 10/29/2011
Nov 29, 2010 at 4:33 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
Michelle, where are you staying? My sister and I last summer when to an all inclusive in the DR and we did tip what we could; I wish we could have more..we learned when we were there that a lot of the staff there work like 12 (or more) hour days and get like 3 dollars an hour; it did say tips were included, but really i wonder if the person helping you even gets any of that, probably not. At least the mindset for workers there is that their service is like an extension of themselves so they put everything into making you feel welcome and hopefully getting something in return to provide for their families. however other places may be a bit different, but that was just my experience :-)

Private User
Nov 29, 2010 at 4:34 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
We're looking at the Sandals Royal Plantation in Jamaica. It's super nice!

Private User
Nov 29, 2010 at 4:38 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
OK, so we'll plan on $1-$5 each time he does something. These butlers setup dinner for you on your patio, reserve beach chairs, make dinner reservations, iron your clothes, bring your drinks to you. They even give you a cell phone to contact him.

tram
Married: 11/13/2010
Reviews: 1
Nov 29, 2010 at 4:51 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
Yes tip all those that provided service to you regardless if it's inclusive or not. Tipping also in a way ensure greater n more personalized service. We just spent our hm in Cancun at one of the top AI resorts and we tipped our waiters n waitresses well--our drinks was never empty and we always get their attention each n every time. Our room is always spotless with aromatherapy scented oil -- tipping and being polite with your requests gets you more than you could even pay for.

Private User
Married: 1+ year ago
Nov 29, 2010 at 4:54 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
@FMS- Yup we split the tips among people who helped us out the most, and trust me if the service is as good as what we had, you will want to tip and more. Most of these people don't make much money, so they welcome tips.

@Michelle- Wow iron your clothes too? That's very cool! The place we stayed at had people bring us breakfast/dinner to the room if we requested, and if we requested it on the balcony they would set it up out there.

FMS, the barefoot wife!
Nov 29, 2010 at 5:07 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
@ Michelle, I really wanted to do a butler suite also. But it was an extra thousand dollars.

Private User
Nov 29, 2010 at 5:09 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
Barefoot, which Sandals are you looking at?
Nov 29, 2010 at 9:41 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
We didn't tip at dinner or actually at all because we tried several times and they told us they were not allowed to accept tips at all. SO if you do it you may have to be a bit sneaky.

Married: 08/22/2010
Reviews: 9
Nov 29, 2010 at 11:58 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
FYI: at the Sandals resorts, tipping is not 'allowed'. when I went with my family & when my parents go away, ya do it secretively ;-)

Nicci
Nov 30, 2010 at 3:20 AM • Flag As Inappropriate
So people have already answered your question but I'd like to point out that for some odd reason I read "Tripping a Sandals Butler?" hahahahaha I was hoping for a hilarious story ;-)

Private User
Nov 30, 2010 at 9:21 AM • Flag As Inappropriate
Well binx that's why I was asking. But I think the Butler thing is OK to tip. It's a service not as all of the resorts. The travel agent said it was up to us if we wanted to. Also, for those of you wondering if travel agents save or not, the answer is yes! She's saving us $700 off the price if you book through the hotel's website.
Login or Signup to post a comment!
«12»

Topics

Vow of Conduct