guests wearing black to a wedding?
So I searched this, but wanted to see what currently WWers thought..is it okay to wear a black dress as a wedding guest? Before I heard (and felt) that it was too funeral-ish and inappropriate, but I'm beginning to see that that's an outdated rule, I've seen women wearing black at weddings and its considered chic/classy..I just ask cuz I just bought a cute dress and was wondering if you all thought it would be okay to wear as a wedding guest to an evening wedding (although I mainly bought it for my rehearsal dinner but wanted to get some use out of it)..I'd add in some splashes of color in accessories like a sweater/necklace though..thoughts? I'm just paranoid about this lol

Thanks! :-)

Ab
Married: 10/29/2011
Edited On: Mar 22, 2011 at 12:45 PM
Posted On: Mar 22, 2011 at 12:44 PM • Vendors are allowed • Add to My WatchlistFlag As Inappropriate1 like

20 Comments | Login or Signup to post a comment!
«12»

bella
Married: 2+ years ago
Mar 22, 2011 at 12:46 PM • 
This post has been flagged by the WeddingWire Community and is now hidden.

Married: 11/11/2011
Reviews: 5
Mar 22, 2011 at 12:47 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
If it's a formal event in the evening I think it is perfectly acceptable. I wore black to a wedding a few months ago and half the other guests did as well. My bridesmaids will even be in black for my wedding

Married: 04/16/2011
Mar 22, 2011 at 12:47 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
It's an outdated rule, black is very flattering for a lot of people. Head to toe black makes it funeral-ish.

Married: 11/12/2011
Mar 22, 2011 at 12:48 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
its definitely outdated.

Married: 03/26/2011
Reviews: 5
Mar 22, 2011 at 12:48 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
It looks great! Wear it! I had a few people ask about wearing black and all I said was - wear anything you want except all white.

Married: 06/30/2012
Reviews: 4
Mar 22, 2011 at 12:49 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
It's always okay to wear a little black dress! That's why it's considered a wardrobe staple. Go for it, it's cute!

Patricia
Mar 22, 2011 at 12:49 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
that is fine, unless you plan on wearing the whole Hat with the bird cage thing, otherwise it's fine, lol

I'm known to wear black to weddings all the time, that's always my safe color when I don't know what the wedding colors are.

Ab
Married: 10/29/2011
Mar 22, 2011 at 1:03 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
okay, phew! I knew I was just being silly, sure maybe a few Grandma's may think it to be odd, but I'm fine with that lol. thanks ladies :-)
Mar 22, 2011 at 1:09 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
Are you kidding? The little black dress is the go-to for any formal event! If you want to spice things up add a bright colored accessory like a big necklace or bright heels. Very cute and classy.

Meghan
Married: 08/20/2011
Reviews: 3
Mar 22, 2011 at 1:11 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
Um, I'd want to go to the funeral you wear that dress to! That dress is not funeralish at all.

Shannon S.
Mar 22, 2011 at 1:13 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
I don't mind black, my BMs wore it. You just have to be careful to punch it up with a bright shawl or sparkly accessories so it doesn't look like you're going to a funeral or a business meeting.

Amy
Married: 02/19/2011
Reviews: 6
Mar 22, 2011 at 1:43 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
Cute Dress. I would love to be seen in that dress.

Married: 06/04/2011
Mar 22, 2011 at 1:52 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
I've worn a black cocktail dress to the last two weddings I attended. They were both evening weddings and I wore some sparkly crystal jewelry to jazz things up. You just make sure that the dress is something that would be inappropriate to wear to a funeral.

Married: 06/25/2011
Mar 22, 2011 at 3:15 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
Black is an acceptable color as a guest at a wedding. When black is not appropriate (imho) is when you are the mother of the bride or groom. To me that is just disrespectful, but as a guest it is fine.

Married: 10/01/2011
Reviews: 18
Mar 22, 2011 at 3:41 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
I love the dress. It is fine to wear as a guest.

Married: 03/05/2011
Mar 22, 2011 at 3:47 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
I kept telling my sisters not to wear white, black or red. They thought I was being too strict. Well, wedding day comes and what do I see, lots of black and red dresses!!!! WTF!!!! Has that wedding dress code change and I did not get the memo? I did not let that bother me but now that I think about it.... Did the wedding dress code change???? For real...

Married: 03/05/2011
Mar 22, 2011 at 3:48 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
oh... after reading all the postings i realized it probably changed... i was probably te only one that did not know...

Married: 07/24/2010
Mar 22, 2011 at 3:52 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
I don't remember what a single one of my guests wore...and somehow I doubt many other brides do either. I might have minded if someone showed up in a Playboy Bunny costume (we had lots of little kids) or something, but otherwise, I was getting married, I was euphoric, it was incredible to know that my hubby was going home with me every day for the rest of our lives. Wear what you want.
Mar 22, 2011 at 3:58 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
Definitely a very outdated rule! Very cute dress... go for it!

FMS, the barefoot wife!
Reviews: 10
Mar 22, 2011 at 4:23 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
the LBD is the go to dress for EVERYTHING. It all depends on how you dress it up with accessories. I perfer to wear black dresses as they never really go out of style, they're slimming on me and I feel better in black cocktail dresses than other colors.

Red, however, I could NEVER wear. I'd feel like a lady of the night. LOL BUT other people wear it very well!
Login or Signup to post a comment!
«12»

Topics

Vow of Conduct