Grooms cake
I am planning to give my boo a grooms cake but what the heck do you do with it? do u serve it at the wedding too? Then it has to be big right? He likes yellow cake with lemon filling..does that sound weird lol? helpppp

Married: 09/05/2010
Reviews: 6
Posted On: May 17, 2010 at 3:01 PM • Vendors are allowed • Add to My WatchlistFlag As Inappropriate1 like

18 Comments | Login or Signup to post a comment!

Private User
Married: 2+ years ago
Reviews: 3
May 17, 2010 at 3:03 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
haha, I was kind of wondering who eats the groom cake also. Good question!

Married: 09/10/2011
May 17, 2010 at 3:04 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
Some people serve it at the rehersal dinner. Some people serve it at the wedding to accompany the actual wedding cake. It's all up to you. I am having one made for FH and at this point am thinking we will have it at the rehersal cookout :-).

Married: 10/03/2009
May 17, 2010 at 3:05 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
You just serve it with the rest of the cake.

Married: 09/05/2010
May 17, 2010 at 3:11 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
eh nevermind..one is enough lol

Married: 10/03/2009
May 17, 2010 at 3:13 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
One thing to consider is that it could actually save you money. Depending on the intricacy of the wedding cake, it can be very expensive per slice. If you get a less expensive groom's cake and serve that, eliminating the need for as many slices of wedding cake, it can be less costly. It also adds variety.

Married: 07/24/2010
May 17, 2010 at 3:22 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
We're serving the groom's cake at the wedding, and it will be chocolate, while the main cake will be white. Also, I ordered it without telling him, so the fun design and other things that go with it will be a surprise :)

Married: 05/15/2011
May 17, 2010 at 3:22 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
Since I can't find a reasonable baker to make us a Batman-inspired wedding cake, the grooms' cake will be Batman, and I'll probably be doing it myself since that is my forte! =0]
But it definitely does save money, my actual wedding cake won't be as big =)

Married: 08/12/2011
Reviews: 11
May 17, 2010 at 3:25 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
We are going to serve ours with our wedding cake. His favorite cake is red velvet so that is what we are going to have. And we've decided to go to a bakery and say it's for my nephews bday--- bc I'm not paying for 2 "wedding" cakes. hehe

Married: 10/16/2010
Reviews: 3
May 17, 2010 at 3:40 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
We're serving it at the reception as an alternative to the wedding cake flavor. Wedding cake will be pink champagne and groom's cake will be red velvet so that gives people an option.

Married: 10/20/2012
May 17, 2010 at 3:52 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
Red velvet! Ahh! Has anyone seen Steel Magnolia's? Or am I the only one? I was in the play in high school and all I think of is "Bleeding Armadillo!"

Anyway... Hahaha. I love the idea of a groom's cake and I'm glad you asked this question because I've kind of been wondering the same thing! I always thought it was served at the rehearsal dinner, myself. But I like the idea of having variety at the wedding.

Married: 10/20/2012
May 17, 2010 at 3:53 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
I love your new picture by the way, pumpkin! And I'm dying to know what pink champagne wedding cake would taste like! It sounds incredible. =]

Reviews: 1
May 17, 2010 at 3:57 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
I've been told that a grooms cake is for all the single women at the wedding, as a luck in love thing. I'm thinking now I want it for my BBQ rehersal dinner. I'm going to do cupcakes in a "minesweeper" theme. FH plays minesweeper whenever he can lol so old school I love him!

Cater It Simple
May 18, 2010 at 2:35 AM • Flag As Inappropriate
A groom's cake used to have a specific purpose, but it's pretty much evolved into just a uniquely designed cake. while wedding cakes are pretty much "wedding" design, a groom's cake can go all out with any kind of decor. Some serve it at the rehearsal dinner, some serve it alongside the wedding cake, and some take it with them to the hotel to share just between themselves. It's totally up to you.
BTW, if you found a baker that charges less for birthdays than weddings (or more for weddings than birthdays), I feel bad for you and suggest you find a different baker. Cake is cake; decorating is decorating and the reputable bakers I know do NOT charge more per slice for wedding than they do for non-wedding. Understand that the cost of a decorated cake is in the labor, so the more ornate the cake .... be it wedding, birthday, anniversary or kiss-my-butt-at-8th-and-main-cake ..... the higher the cost.

Married: 05/15/2011
May 18, 2010 at 2:38 AM • Flag As Inappropriate
Debi B., You're awesome! =0) I wish you were in Northern California, as I do love your cakes as well!

Nicci
Reviews: 5
May 18, 2010 at 2:41 AM • Flag As Inappropriate
My good guy friend got married last sept and they had a grooms cake for him (he collects monopoly boards and it was in their wedding colors as a board way cute) but we honestly never saw them cut into it. Way weird. Maybe he wanted it all to himself ;-) But yeah if we did it (which we aren't..we have an overabundance of cake as it is) we would be serving it with the wedding cake as alternate flavor

Cater It Simple
May 18, 2010 at 2:54 AM • Flag As Inappropriate
Listen, gals, let me warn you about what I've read some bakers do to brides. If you are planning 100 guests, the baker will MAKE them order a wedding cake for 100 guests and then the groom's cake is just extra cake, so the bride ends up buying more cake than she needs. Some bakers require a groom's cake be the same size as the wedding cake, which means you either have to order double the cake you need (100 wedding servings 100 grooms servings) or you have to get a rinky dinky wedding cake for 50 and a groom's cake for 50 to stay in budget.
I find both of these practices appalling and my advice is "run, Forrest, run!" and find a baker who will work with you on number of servings so you don't go overbudget and don't end up with way more cake than you need.
Although in my biased opinion, there's no such thing as "too much cake!" hahaha!

Nicci
Reviews: 5
May 18, 2010 at 2:58 AM • Flag As Inappropriate
Debi--I laughed at rinky dinky :-)

PeterPevensie
Married: 05/30/2010
May 18, 2010 at 3:26 AM • Flag As Inappropriate
Occasionally speaking wedding cakes are stacked cakes. Different flavors of cakes are mixed as per different layers.
For occurrence one layer could be a butter layer, the other one could be a vanilla pound layer, etc.
The groom’s cake design is customarily a fruit cake. These cakes were frequently used in revelry since the advent of the 18th century.
The unmarried female guests at the wedding would place a box which contained a piece of shady fruit cake, under their pillow at night, so they could dream of the person they would marry.
Login or Signup to post a comment!

Topics

Vow of Conduct