Father/Daughter Dance
I'm getting married next weekend (June 26) and I still cannot figure out a Father/Daughter dance song. It is killing me! My dad and I have always been so close, but we do not want anything too sappy. I don't want to cry during it. My mom suggested "Through the Years" by Kenny Rogers. I glimsped at the lyrics and it looks like a song the bride and groom would dance to for a First Dance. I have never even heard the song. .. someone, help!

Married: 06/26/2010
Posted On: Jun 15, 2010 at 4:16 PM • Vendors are allowed • Add to My WatchlistFlag As Inappropriate1 like

23 Comments | Login or Signup to post a comment!
«12»

Married: 10/10/2010
Reviews: 7
Jun 15, 2010 at 4:17 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
Kinda cheesy, but Miley Cyrus "Butterfly fly away" is really sweet.

JessSquared
Married: 07/10/2010
Reviews: 1
Jun 15, 2010 at 4:19 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
I'm doing Paul Simon "Father and Daughter" with my dad and Landoun Wright "Daughter" with my step-dad. Neither one of them are sappy but they're really cute/sweet songs.

Married: 10/09/2011
Reviews: 5
Jun 15, 2010 at 4:22 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
I'm thinking of skipping the father-daughter dance. I just think it would be awkward...

JessSquared
Married: 07/10/2010
Reviews: 1
Jun 15, 2010 at 4:23 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
I'm feeling pretty awkward too but it means a lot to my dads.

Married: 10/03/2009
Reviews: 6
Jun 15, 2010 at 4:26 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
"someone to watch over me" ?

Married: 05/22/2010
Jun 15, 2010 at 4:29 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
I used "My Little Girl" by Tim McGraw and a close second was "I Loved Her First" by Heartland. Good luck.

Jun 15, 2010 at 4:33 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
Amie, I do like "I Loved Her First" by Heartland. That song makes me get pretty emotional though. I also like that Darius Rucker song, "It Won't Be Like This For Long" but not sure... I'll think of something, thanks for the suggestions! : )

Married: 07/31/2010
Jun 15, 2010 at 4:34 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
We're doing "because you loved me" celine dion- but we're combining it with the mother/son dance.
Jun 15, 2010 at 4:46 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
A few other suggestions: "Daddy's Little Girl" - Michael Buble version is nice; "She Is Dancing" - Brian Kelly; "Wildflowers" - Tom Petty; "My Wish" - Rascal Flatts; "I Wish You Love" - Nat King Cole; "Gracie" - Ben Folds.

Jun 15, 2010 at 4:48 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
I think I'm going to go with "My Little Girl" by Tim Mcgraw... we don't have many country songs on the list.. I love the song too, Thanks so much for suggesting it Amie!

Married: 1+ year ago
Jun 15, 2010 at 4:58 PM • Flag As Inappropriate

Married: 1+ year ago
Jun 15, 2010 at 5:00 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
Jun 16, 2010 at 2:48 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
My recommendation would be for you to choose a song that has great memories attached to it. For ex. a song that you and your father sang together while driving around town, or you and your dad dancing in the backyard or any other fun song that the two of you enjoyed together. Let your MC/DJ know why you chose the song, then when presenting the father daughter dance at your wedding have him/her let your guests know why you choose this song. I remember one of my past brides telling me that her and her father always danced to Mony Mony by Billy Idol whenever it came on. This song really brings back great memories for the two of them. When I presented the F/D Dance I simple mentioned why they chose this song and it was a hit. Yes it was a little different but why they were dancing to this song then their guests might have looked a little confused. Choose whatever song you like just let your guests know why you chose it and you will fine.

Have fun and all the best.

Reviews: 2
Jun 16, 2010 at 2:59 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
My Dad and I were never close growing up. He was always working and he'd be the one to punish us. So, my childhood memories were not always the best.
But through the years and growing up, we've become closer. We are dancing to "I Wish I Could" by Collin Raye. When I had my Dad listen to that and another song, he cried at this one. This is the one he picked.

Jill
Married: 08/21/2010
Reviews: 17
Jun 16, 2010 at 3:01 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
@David - that would be my suggestion too..it doesn't have to be a song about a dad and a daughter. I'm using "Sweet Baby James" by James Taylor because my dad sang it around the campfire once and I alway remembered that!

Married: 07/24/2009
Jun 16, 2010 at 3:05 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
My dad is a huge sap and I am a HUGE daddy's girl. I would have done Butterfly Kisses, but no way would I have been standing at the end if I did that. I would have literally been on the floor balling my eyes out! We ended up doing Sweet Caroline. It was awesome. We sang along and the guests sang along, and halfway through the DJ invited everyone to dance because everyone was getting into it. I would definitely recommend it to any bride who doesn't want sappy.

Married: 2+ years ago
Jun 16, 2010 at 3:14 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
I agree with David. I'm hoping to dance to Elivra by the Oak Ridge Boys because when I was little I would dance on my dad's feet to this song. I'm sure it will confuse everyone else but it's one of my first memories with my dad.

Married: 07/03/2010
Jun 16, 2010 at 3:24 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
Cinderella...steve curtis chapman

Married: 07/11/2010
Jun 16, 2010 at 11:49 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
I am doing "My Girl" by The Temptations, I love it, my dad loves it and it's not super sappy I want it to be fun not sad...

Married: 2+ years ago
Jun 16, 2010 at 11:51 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
Login or Signup to post a comment!
«12»

Topics

Vow of Conduct