Edible Crystals?!
So, I asked my cake chef to put tiny crystals on my cake as seen in this picture. She told me that I could find edible sugar crystals that are shiney and it's probably what those in the cake are. Personally....they don't look edible to me, but she is the chef!
Does anyone know where I'd find these edible cake crystals that look like this? I googled it and couldn't really come up with anything. Then again, my head hurts and it's hard to focus today so maybe I'm missing something. I need the help of my fellow brides-to-be!
Thanks.

Eden
Married: 08/28/2010
Reviews: 8
Posted On: Apr 29, 2010 at 11:44 AM • Vendors are allowed • Add to My WatchlistFlag As Inappropriate1 like

15 Comments | Login or Signup to post a comment!

Married: 05/29/2010
Reviews: 2
Apr 29, 2010 at 11:48 AM • Flag As Inappropriate
Well for my wedding cake they are going to put edible pearls. They are really pretty and look real. I am not sure where you can buy them but your baker should carry them or if they don't they should order it for you...

Good Luck!

Krystal
Married: 2+ years ago
Apr 29, 2010 at 11:49 AM • Flag As Inappropriate
I know where to find some - Sad thing is though this site is SOO expensive. IMO.

http://www.decoratemywedding.com/accessories/cake_crystals.htm#accessories

Married: 06/04/2011
Reviews: 6
Apr 29, 2010 at 11:52 AM • Flag As Inappropriate
These are a little different, but it's a start: http://www.cakecrystals.com/shop.html

I'll keep looking.

Eden
Apr 29, 2010 at 11:53 AM • Flag As Inappropriate
Krystal helping me find crystals...that's awesome! (sorry don't hate me...I couldn't resist!)
These are PERFECT! I don't think I will get charged for these, as I am paying for it in my reception package which covers the cake as long as it's not over the size for the guests I am having.... Thank you SO much for this site.

Eden
Apr 29, 2010 at 11:54 AM • Flag As Inappropriate
Oh wow, Rosie...these are great too! Hmm...not I get to try to decide. I guess if I have to pay these will work out better. I should call the cake place and find out for sure!

Krystal
Apr 29, 2010 at 11:56 AM • Flag As Inappropriate
Haha it's cool! My fiance always tells me I should be a wedding planner because I havent had ANYONE call me for a job so I just look at wedding stuff allll day and watch wedding shows all day. haha

Eden
Apr 29, 2010 at 11:57 AM • Flag As Inappropriate
Haha that's funny. My fiance tells me that, too! I'm wedding obsessed! @.@

M&M
Married: 05/08/2010
Reviews: 2
Apr 29, 2010 at 11:58 AM • Flag As Inappropriate
I was going to put those on my cake because they are very pretty but when we went for the cake tasting, we changed our minds. She let us taste one and they were so hard FH almost broke a tooth. I don't know if they are made softer of not, but the ones we tasted was way too hard. It would probably be okay for us but I would worry about older guest.

Eden
Apr 29, 2010 at 12:00 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
Hmm...you bring a good point to this topic. Maybe I'll look into that. Breaking a guests tooth at my wedding would be bad.

Married: 08/20/2010
Reviews: 10
Apr 29, 2010 at 12:20 PM • Flag As Inappropriate

teexoxo
Married: 10/23/2010
Reviews: 7
Apr 29, 2010 at 12:22 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
@Elena the ones on the bottom right would be pretty perfect I think!

Krystal
Apr 29, 2010 at 12:24 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
Worst comes to worst you could take the gems off the cake before you serve it. I went to one wedding where they used fake flowers and ribbon on their cake and just peeled it off before they cut it and my grandma put in a "mock piece" for them to cut that had the ribbon precut in that area so they knew which piece they could cut through with the ribbon so that it'd still look nice for pictures

Eden
Apr 29, 2010 at 12:29 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
Thanks Krystal. I think that's perfect if they end up being too hard.

@Elena, the bottom right is great! Thanks! :D

Married: 07/31/2010
May 12, 2010 at 7:50 AM • Flag As Inappropriate
I bought these as I make cakes and plan to make my own wedding cake - I'd heard that they frost over, so I experimented by sticking one on a cup cake last night at about 7pm. By 10pm it had already started to frost over and today is completely white (even in a container). Have been advised that covering with confectioners glaze can help, so will be trying that tonight. Another thought regarding the hardness - perhaps it's a possibiliy to put on scatter diamonds (maybe a bit bigger so you can use less) and have them all removed once the cake is ready to cut (after the pictures, of course!)?

Unless anyone knows of any that dont frost?

Married: 07/31/2010
May 12, 2010 at 8:00 AM • Flag As Inappropriate
Also just found the website for this cake and it says these crystals are not edible

http://www.bigweddingcakecompany.co.uk/gallery.php?picid=142

glanci
Married: 06/12/1998
Aug 03, 2010 at 1:39 AM • 
This post has been flagged by the WeddingWire Community and is now hidden.
Login or Signup to post a comment!

Topics

Vow of Conduct