Melissa
Expert November 2014

DIY invites? How? And is it worth it??

Melissa, on March 6, 2014 at 8:39 AM Posted in Do It Yourself

Ok ladies- I need your thoughts. I am torn between paying the $ to purchase invitations and saving the $ by making my invitations. I have seen some beautiful DIY invites on this site and I was wondering how you went about making them. I have my heart set on pearl/shimmer paper for my invites, but when I check out Staples and VistaPrint, I don't see that option. I'd also really like to use navy and red, but a lot of the DIY packages I have found only come in white or neutral colors. I know I have a while to consider all my options, but I was wondering what your opinions are! I am thinking I will need between 75 and 80 invites (that includes a few extra) and I just don't know if it's worth the time to create my own. AGH! Help!! Thanks

Share:

22 Comments

• We'llAlwaysHaveParis
    Master November 2013
    We'llAlwaysHaveParis ·

I bought a design on etsy for $35, then I took the files to Staples and had them print on my paper (from paperandmore.com - they have shimmer paper). Sixty sets of invites, RSVPs, and hotel info cards cost me $19.08 (print and cut).

Easy peasy and inexpensive, I think.

ETA: Printing black and white and adding color by accenting with a belly band or ribbon will save you money too. Color printing is a little more expensive (obviously).

• We'llAlwaysHaveParis
    Master November 2013
    We'llAlwaysHaveParis ·

Also, if you want to go that route - search on "printable wedding invitation" or "digital wedding invitation" on etsy. There are TONS of options for all budgets.

• Melissa
    Expert November 2014
    Melissa ·

Thank you so much! I love those!!

• Nonna T
    Master April 2014
    Nonna T ·

I did all my own invitations, response cards, envelopes, programs and more for under $100 including toner.

• Jemma
    VIP July 2014
    Jemma ·

I made all ours for very little money. It did take a while as I had to make cross stitch hearts for every one…

I am now part way through cross stitching "Thank You"s for afterwards!

• We'llAlwaysHaveParis
    Master November 2013
    We'llAlwaysHaveParis ·

Here's a link to the shop (and the seller was wonderful), but make sure you browse etsy. There are so many great designs available. I really had a hard time deciding, and ultimately went with this because DH is a huge Beatles fan and our wedding had slight music touches here and there.

https://www.etsy.com/shop/OhDarlingPaper?ref=l2-shopheader-name

• Jessica
    VIP July 2014
    Jessica ·

I bought a kit from party city . Came with a pocket fold, invite card, 3 blank inserts , the mailing envelope and the RSVP envelope. Not including postage for 100 invites will probably cost $150 tops.

• CeCe
    Master May 2014
    CeCe ·

I want to let you know that while I didn't DIY mine from scratch, I did design my invitations from a template online and so far I have had 5 people actually go out of their way to say they loved them. So if you're wondering if the time/effort is worth it on something that people are just going to 'throw away' I would say yes

• A
    Super November 2014
    annie ·

I was considering it, as I had an idea of what I want, but couldn't find them anywhere. I was torn because I didn't want to spend 500 bucks on something that would get trashed or recycled, but I also didn't want to drive myself insane trying to make them... I actually went so far as to impulse but vista print invites which I hate, and we just recycled all 80 of them today. I have since decided just to spend the money and get what I want. Even if I'm the only one that notices them, it's still important to me. I found a seller on etsy who has something similar to what I had in mind, who was responsive, has good reviews and was willing to customize to my liking and placed an order with her. I can't wait to get them

• Melissa
    Expert November 2014
    Melissa ·

Thank you so much for all your help! I think you have definitely convinced me to DIY!

@Paris: I LOVE the invites in the shop you recommended! I am browsing them as we speak! I am also a huge Beatles fan and our engagement party was "All You Need Is Love" themed

@Jemma: Those are beautiful!

@CeCe: That's great! I feel like invites are one of the most important details in a wedding. I want to give our guests a good "first impression"

• Melissa
    Expert November 2014
    Melissa ·

@Annie: That's how I feel, too! I am so picky ; ) But I have found a lot on Etsy that I love! And I am so glad I can customize colors. Good luck with your invites- I'd love to see them when they come in!!

• *Mrs_D*
    Master October 2014
    *Mrs_D* ·

I used the Paris route as well! I did color invites, so it was a little more pricey for me. We designed our own invitation based on one we had seen on a website (for $500 plus… ummm NO!!!) and brought them to Staples for printing. When they printed them out, they found they were a little fuzzy, so they sent them off to designer to re-do them and sharpen them for us, for free! They made them look amazing. The cost of paper, printing, and cutting for 150 invitations and RSVPs for us is about $110. Here are our invitations and RSVPs.

• Shannon S.
    Master March 2011
    Shannon S. ·

I used a template from Michaels and then added some customization (red ribbons and backings to fit our color scheme, envelopes addressed in old-school pen and ink).

It was definitely a money saver, but the kits can be frustrating if you aren't a whiz at Microsoft Word and using your printer's bypass tray. You definitely need to buy extras, because the printer will eat a few.

• ottawa2014
    Super August 2014
    ottawa2014 ·

I agree with Shannon- I looked at the DIY kit option, but I decided that my time and sanity is worth more than the money we'd save by doing it. I have experience printing things in bulk (business cards, programs, etc for low budget work purposes) and it can become very frustrating!!

We went the vistaprint route and I am really happy with how they turned out, and the price. But invites weren't high up on my list and I understand VP isn't for everyone.

• Kimberly
    Devoted May 2014
    Kimberly ·

I designed our invitation in Photoshop based on all sorts of inspirational invites I spied on Pinterest and Etsy. We are having ours printed (color) at Office Depot and then putting them together in pocketfolds that we purchased from www.cardsandpockets.com/. All together it will be right at $200 for 50 invitations (including the envelope liners, bands). For me designing our own wasn't so much about money saved, but being able to create a cohesive "brand" for the wedding. I wanted our place cards, photobooth sign, "wedding libs", menu cards, etc. to all match.

• We'llAlwaysHaveParis
    Master November 2013
    We'llAlwaysHaveParis ·

If you're a Beatles fan then you have to check out my caketopper to match LOL

I wonder if any of our guests remembered seeing it on our invitation too - doubtful :-P

• Melissa
    Expert November 2014
    Melissa ·

@Kimberly: where did you get the envelope liners? Did you create those yourself as well?

@Paris: I LOVE that cake topper!! If we weren't doing a baseball theme, we would have gone with that topper. I saw it on Pinterest before we go engaged and fell in love with it!

• Kimberly
    Devoted May 2014
    Kimberly ·

@Melissa - they were also from Cards & Pockets - http://www.cardsandpockets.com/envelopeliners.aspx

• Annie & Javi
    Master October 2015
    Annie & Javi ·

We're doing pocketfolds for less than $2.00 an invite.

Buying 'pockets' and envelopes from cardsandpockets.com, cot a stamp for the top design at Hobby Lobby for $6.00 an all other materials came from Michaels.

This is the card inspiration....

ETA: If the invitations are important to you and you want to save money but have an elaborate design then definitely DIY; If you aren't as picky and want to save, try somewhere like Vistaprint.

• LadyMonk
    Master September 2014
    LadyMonk ·

I did my own, and printed with VistaPrint. For us, it was worth it because we wanted something that no one else makes (a modern Chinese style on in the colours of the Robertson tartan!). You can definitely buy your own shimmer paper and get it printed at a print shop (Staples, or any other physical store). Just note that shimmer paper is more expensive to begin with.

You CAN get cheaper invitations that are pre-made out there if you really look. You may not get much of a say on how they look, though.

In short: It's worth it if you enjoy being a bit crafty (ie you're spending your time in a fun way, not as work!) and if you want something customize. Otherwise, I'd say hunt around for cheap invitations and don't do DIY.

Comment on this discussion