Buffet or plated?
What are you ladies doing for your dinner at your reception?

As it stands, I'm torn. I want a buffet for the variety, but I hate the thought of people standing in a line to eat and then trying to make their way back to their seat with a plate of food in their hand (like a cafeteria or something). I'm expecting 100 guests (or less), so I guess it wouldn't be too bad, but I'm still not sold on the idea. I would do plated, but I don't want to deal with trying to obtain their meal request and an RSVP. I feel like I have enough to deal with already. :)

Back in the mid-west, another option would be "family style" which is basically a seated buffet. This would be the ideal situation, but our venue doesn't offer it (nor did any other venue we looked at in AZ).

I'm curious to hear what everyone else is doing.

Married: 03/09/2012
Reviews: 2
Posted On: Apr 17, 2011 at 7:43 PM • Vendors are allowed • Add to My WatchlistFlag As Inappropriate1 like

96 Comments | Login or Signup to post a comment!

Married: 10/13/2011
Reviews: 5
Apr 17, 2011 at 7:45 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
I'm doing buffet because it gives a variety and its much easier

Married: 05/12/2012
Apr 17, 2011 at 7:46 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
We are doing a buffet but my family is cooking all the food because we all love to cook and can cook for army loads haha is there a price concern or difference that could help your decision?

Married: 09/24/2011
Apr 17, 2011 at 7:47 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
We have opted for plated dinners. The thought of having 200 people waiting in line sounds awful.

Vanilla_Nut
Married: 08/14/2011
Reviews: 7
Apr 17, 2011 at 7:47 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
I'm having a plated dinner. I couldn't see all my family & friends dressed in their best outfits carrying a plate of food around like a cafeteria. To me it takes away from the elegance of the event. I want all my family & friends to feel like royalty at my event.

Apr 17, 2011 at 7:48 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
No, it's basically the same cost for buffet or plated (I think $1 less for plated). I really just want people to have the variety more than anything, but I've never been to a wedding where there was a buffet so I'm not quite sure how it works.

Married: 10/01/2011
Reviews: 18
Apr 17, 2011 at 7:49 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
We are only having 60 people, and we are serving Italian food. Italian usually involves quantity, so it translates better in buffet form. However, the downside to serving Italian in buffet form is someone getting red gravy on their nice new outfit, while walking back to their table.

In my area, a seated buffet means the salad is plated and rolls are on the table. This way people have something to nibble on while waiting for their turn in
line. Is that an option for you?

If you don't want to go through the work of a plated dinner with choices, why not just go with one type of meal? While all guests may not be pleased with the choice, it would give you the best of both worlds.

Apr 17, 2011 at 7:51 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
I just saw your concern is variety. So, I will scratch off that last suggestion.

Jessica
Married: 06/25/2011
Apr 17, 2011 at 7:52 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
I think it might be a regional thing... have never been to or seen a place that offered buffet or family style around here (NJ). I think there will be enough variety with a cocktail hour and dinner choices of a beef, a chicken, and fish option.

ashlee
Married: 01/28/2012
Reviews: 12
i am having a multi-course plated dinner. i can't stand the thought of food just sitting there in those trough things and people shuffling around picking through it, serving themselves . . . just u g h. it's like nails on a chalkboard to me.

Married: 11/05/2011
We're doing a buffet just because it's easier with the way our venue is set up.

Married: 07/24/2010
Reviews: 6
Apr 17, 2011 at 7:53 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
We did a buffet for my daughters wedding. It worked out really well. We had many compliments on the food.

There was an appetizer area during the cocktail hour and then the buffet dinner with London Broil, Chicken Marsala and Baked Salmon with two salads (Caesar as well as Spinach), two vegetables, fruit and bread.

There were 134 guests. The line was not an issue. The DJ called the table numbers. There was plenty of food as well.

I do love sit down dinners as well. This, however was the best choice for us as my new SIL's family had no clue what an RSVP was, so to get them to tell us which entree they would like would be like pulling teeth. LOL!!!!

Married: 10/15/2011
Apr 17, 2011 at 7:54 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
I'm doing a buffet. Most of the weddings I have been to have done a buffet so it's something that most of my family and friends are used to and I agree about liking the variety. As a guest, I never felt the wait in the buffet line was that excessive. I think it helps if the guests are able to serve themselves from both sides and only a certain number of tables are released at once.

Private User
Married: 2+ years ago
Apr 17, 2011 at 7:54 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
We are having platted dinner, I personnaly am not a big fan of buffet at weddings, we're expecting about 150 guests, I was also worry about collecting choice of meal, I don't want to deal with the headache so we're doing 'dual plate", our venue will give everyone both chicken and fish (the cost is the average of the 2 prices). It works perfectly fine for us, no line and no collecting choice of meal. Check to see if your venue offers somethng like that

Vanilla_Nut
Married: 08/14/2011
Apr 17, 2011 at 7:56 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
@ Jessica, I'm not sure that other areas have a coctail hour as lavish as ours in Jersey.

Katie
Married: 07/09/2011
Apr 17, 2011 at 7:56 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
We are doing a buffet dinner and will probably have 150-180 guests. We will be having the DJ dismiss tables. Also, the guests will be able to enjoy a salad buffet while waiting for us to arrive. So, I don't think they will mind if they have to wait slightly to get their dinner.

Apr 17, 2011 at 7:58 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
Dual plate! What a great idea Patricia!

The only plus side of having the buffet was that it also included a carving station. We were going to have prime rib (carving station) and then a chicken and fish dish at the buffet.
We will be having an hour long cocktail hour between the ceremony and reception. There will be 3 different passed hors d'oeuvres for our guests to eat during that time.

You girls are really helping me though. I appreciate all of the input!

Edited On: Apr 17, 2011 at 8:01 PM

Ab
Married: 10/29/2011
Apr 17, 2011 at 7:59 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
I don't think having about 100ish people will be bad for a buffet, I'm sure someone already stated, but you could have two sides of the tables going through. We are doing plated because it was cheaper. I think a benefit of plated is that obviously they don't have to go up and it seems more formal. However, buffet certainly won't feel "cafeteria"..I think buffets are pretty common at weddings..plus there is less chance of guests getting hungry again later since they can stuff themselves silly lol.

Apr 17, 2011 at 8:00 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
All of the weddings I have been to that have buffets have had catering staff serving the guest from the chafing dishes. In additon, if the buffet is in a different room than the seating area, the decor is another wow factor.

The only problem I have with plated meals is that in trying to get out two hundred plates, many of those plates will be sitting under heat lamps. The turnover of food, in terms of freshness, may be better in buffet form.

Jessica
Married: 06/25/2011
Apr 17, 2011 at 8:00 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
Am I living in a bubble? Why do you need to get the choices ahead of time. Don't the guests tell the waiter what they want at the wedding?

Lisa
Married: 2+ years ago
Apr 17, 2011 at 8:01 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
Hi Kerry, I'm in AZ and we're doing a plated dinner for 100 guests as well. We are offering a chicken, beef, and meatless option. Children under 12 get a child's plate. I'm not looking forward to collecting the meal choices along with the RSVPs either but it will be worth it. I'm concerned about the guests getting enough to eat, but we will offer four or five options in butler passed hors d'oeuvres during the cocktail hour. Good luck!
Login or Signup to post a comment!

Topics

Vow of Conduct