Brides trying to lose weight
I have about a year until my wedding and my goal is is to lose 30 to 40 pounds. I'm 5'3 and weigh 160 *so disgusted with myself* :( I will start looking for dresses in mid January and I would like to have already lost 15 to 20 pounds by then. It will be tough but I gotta stick to this! FH and I will start waking up tomorrow at 530am to go to the gym, so at least I have him as a workout buddy! And I admit, a huge part of me is wanting to lose the weight specifically to look good on my wedding day, but I also want to do it to get healthier. I hide my weight somewhat well for being 160, but the scale doesn't lie! :( Has anyone else lost over 30 pounds for their wedding? How did you do it and how long did it take you?

Married: 10/20/2012
Edited On: Oct 23, 2011 at 7:28 PM
Posted On: Oct 23, 2011 at 7:07 PM • Vendors are allowed • Add to My WatchlistFlag As Inappropriate1 like

13 Comments | Login or Signup to post a comment!

Married: 03/12/2012
Reviews: 1
Oct 23, 2011 at 7:17 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
Hmmm, Do you really *need* to lose 30-40 pounds? Or is mostly just cosmetic? If you're doing it to be healthier than good for you. Will you be okay with it if you lose weight a healthy way, but don't meet your goal by your wedding? I think women should feel comfortable in their own skins. Especially on their wedding day. I'm sorry if I'm coming off as preachy. It's just that on so many wedding websites so many women seem to really believe that their wedding will be exponentially better if they lose weight, and some of them really don't need to lose any weight. You look great in your profile pic :D

Married: 1+ year ago
Reviews: 5
Oct 23, 2011 at 7:20 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
I agree, I'm fat and I don't feel the need to lose weight. This is who I am if I lose it great if I don't no biggie. Good for you for wanting to get healthier though. And when I saw your pic and read 30lbs I couldn't believe it! You look amazing!

Married: 06/23/2012
Oct 23, 2011 at 9:23 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
It's one thing to be comfortable in your skin, another to be overweight and unhealthy. I have lost 30 pounds, I am 5'9" and down to 170. I started by joining weight watchers which helped me lose weight, but didn't get me into shape. I started running with the goal of running a 5k. I started very slowly, running maybe a 1/4 mile before being out of breath. Each day I did more and more, added an exercise bike and elliptical machine to keep it interesting. I started this in Feb right after I got engaged. Now I am up to running a 5k in 36 minutes, can run 5 miles without stopping, and am thinking of running a half marathon in April. The key is to start slow, find out where you are, and then set goals. You can't just say "oh, I'm going to run 3 miles". Keep at it, get healthy, AND look great at your wedding! Best of luck!

Rachel W.
Married: 05/27/2012
Reviews: 9
Oct 23, 2011 at 9:26 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
I only want to lose about 10lbs, so I started running too. It's only been a week, but I've been running and then walking, running, walking, back and forth. I do this for about 20 minutes. I can feel the difference already...

Married: 10/09/2011
Oct 23, 2011 at 9:32 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
I really want to recommend yoga. My goal before the wedding was to lose a little bit of weight, but more to tone up a little bit and I had a lot of success going two to three times a week. My arms looked great and it really helped me relax amidst the stress of wedding planning.

Married: 05/25/2013
Reviews: 3
Oct 24, 2011 at 7:19 AM • Flag As Inappropriate
The most important thing is to count calories and eat healthy, wholesome food! Counting calories is time consuming, but so worth it. It's hard to realize how much we are actually eating without counting. I've been losing a lot of weight, and counting calories is what did it for me. Create a deficit of 500-1000 a day (dieting and exercise) and you'll be losing weight in no time! Good luck!
Edited On: Oct 24, 2011 at 7:19 AM

Married: 03/12/2012
Oct 24, 2011 at 7:27 AM • Flag As Inappropriate
I'm not saying that you shouldn't try to lose weight and be healthy if over weight. I just don't like that so many women say things like, "I'm disgusting!", "disgusted with myself", "hate my (insert body part here)", etc. I also don't think that anyone should say that they NEED to lose weight unless a medical professional tells them they are at an unhealthy weight. I'm trying to tone up, but at 5'3" 120lbs I know I shouldn't lose weight or I'll be underweight. Even though there are women who are 6 inches taller who weigh the same as me. That's all I meant about being comfortable in your own skin.

Honey B.
Oct 24, 2011 at 8:28 AM • Flag As Inappropriate
I am trying to lose anywhere from 30lbs to 50lbs for my wedding day so I have decided to join Weight Watchers. I started 3 weeks ago and have already lost more than 5lbs. Its a long process but they help you learn to control your portion sizes and chose a healthy alternative to junk foods. It helps me hold myself accountable because I go to the meetings each week and have to step on a scale for the leader so someone else is seeing my weight. I really like it and I have also decided to start this workout DVD set called Supreme 90 Day Workout. Its really intense, kind of like P90X but way cheaper. I definitely feel more toned after I do that DVD than when I used to go to the gym everyday... Hope this helps you!

Married: Recently Married
Oct 24, 2011 at 8:57 AM • Flag As Inappropriate
I am trying to lose 40lbs b/c I want to be healthy again. I used to be 125lbs then let myself get to 215lbs. Stayed that way for a couple years then I finally got my but in gear. I've already lost 40lbs and have another 40 to go. It's tough but you can do it.

Married: 12/30/2011
Reviews: 6
Oct 24, 2011 at 9:05 AM • Flag As Inappropriate
I do Weight Watchers as well. Its been a long journey for me, too long to explain... but this August I finally got serious about it and am now 5lbs away from my WW goal weight. I'm going to do the best I can to lose the last few lbs, but I'm also so happy with where I am right now, that I know I'll feel good about myself on our wedding day! From when I started WW to now I've lost over 30lbs.

In my opinion, its the eating right that really drops the pounds... the exercise is important for toning and generally feeling good and strong. Good luck! :D

Married: 11/11/2011
Oct 24, 2011 at 10:22 AM • Flag As Inappropriate
I have lost 32 lbs since December. I had 2 babies 22 months apart and then with getting a tubal and nursing it was so hard to lose the weight. I stopped drinking all pop... strictly water and sometimes I add a crystal light flavor pack for a change. I also started running about 2 miles every night. Eating mostly fish and chicken and normally a non fat yogurt for breakfast. Good luck!

Married: 10/20/2012
Oct 24, 2011 at 10:23 AM • Flag As Inappropriate
Thanks ladies! I just got back from my first early bird workout with my FH and I went grocery shopping this past wknd for healthy foods! And Pan X, I understand what you are saying, but I also have to defend my statement with saying that I am disgusted with myself because it is the absolute truth. I have let myself get to this weight and I believe feeling this way is one of the consequences. Everybody is different, and for some, being 5'3 and 160 is perfect, but for me it's not :( I use to weigh around 130 around the time I started college and I felt and looked great, and boy do I miss that!

Abiti
Reviews: 2
Oct 24, 2011 at 11:29 AM • Flag As Inappropriate
Just like Anne Marie I am on weighwatchers. have lost 18 lbs so far and I met my goal weight on maintainance. but i would like to loose about 10more lbs by next summer for my wedding. its a slow process and there are times i felt like giving up but i stuck to it and feel healthier now and i am more energetic and active. i play softball with FH. good luck!
Login or Signup to post a comment!

Topics

Vow of Conduct