Biblical bridesmaids
So on say yes to the dress reruns this lady was saying she had two bridesmaids the traditional set and the bibicial ones (to light the way). anybody ever heard of this

Wedding: 05/16/2015
Posted On: Jan 25, 2013 at 10:19 AM • Vendors are allowed • Add to My WatchlistFlag As Inappropriate0 likes

11 Comments | Login or Signup to post a comment!

We'llAlwaysHaveParis
Married: 11/30/2013
Reviews: 5
Jan 25, 2013 at 10:19 AM • Flag As Inappropriate
nope. never.

Wedding: 05/16/2015
Jan 25, 2013 at 10:22 AM • Flag As Inappropriate
me either. guess she had a problem with saying no to people

Married: 02/23/2013
Reviews: 1
Jan 25, 2013 at 10:26 AM • Flag As Inappropriate
I've never heard of anyone actually doing that, but it is based on a parable from Matthew 25. The bridesmaids were supposed to light the way for the bridegroom and the wedding procession/celebration to find their way to the bride's house, since the celebration usually happened at night. The parable is about the lazy bridesmaids (Christians) falling asleep and letting their torches going out, therefore not lighting the way for the bridegroom (Jesus) to the bride (the church). It seems like an odd thing to add to a wedding, though, since it was meant to tell people to stay alert for the coming of Christ...
Jan 25, 2013 at 10:32 AM • Flag As Inappropriate
http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Matthew 25&version=GW

It comes from a parable. Apparently the bridesmaids went to get the groom. I am not sure how/why she took it to mean for her or took it as a tradition at all.

I am inclined to think she couldn't say no either.

Just Reenski
Married: 1+ year ago
Reviews: 9
Jan 25, 2013 at 10:36 AM • Flag As Inappropriate
Emily, thank you for the explanation, I saw that episode (and her follow up where they all didn't like the dress she picked, LOL) and was like, "Say wha?"

Does sound to me like not being able to say no to people. She had like 25 girls altogether -- that's just nuts. I woulda bowed out if I was any kind of bridesmaid in that wedding. But if it worked for her, fantastic.
Jan 25, 2013 at 10:39 AM • Flag As Inappropriate
Wow, she had 25 bridesmaids? I can't imagine having to wait for 25 people to walk down the aisle. A few could have bowed out and not even told her. There were so many, who would notice.
Though, you could provide small pillows for the guests as a favor. ;)

Just Reenski
Married: 1+ year ago
Reviews: 9
Jan 25, 2013 at 10:43 AM • Flag As Inappropriate
Crystal, they didn't all walk, the majority of them were standing along the aisle holding lanterns, I believe (that's what it looked like in the show) to "light the way" I suppose?

Still. I couldn't have even tried to have more than 3.
Jan 25, 2013 at 10:45 AM • Flag As Inappropriate
Darn, and I really was thinking my pillows as favors idea was a good one. lol

Lady Firefly
Married: 10/29/2014
Reviews: 4
Jan 25, 2013 at 10:56 AM • Flag As Inappropriate
@ Emily, nice explanation!

WWLeeor
Wedding: 06/13/2020
Jan 25, 2013 at 11:39 AM • Flag As Inappropriate
Haven't heard of it but sounds interesting. :)

Married: 04/12/2013
Reviews: 12
Jan 25, 2013 at 12:03 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
I saw that episode. I think she just wanted a huge wedding party. Did you see how many girls total she had? It was like 20!
Login or Signup to post a comment!

Topics

Vow of Conduct