Adding gift registry to invitations??
I am getting ready to purchase my save the dates and invitations, and have been reading that it is inappropriate and rude to include where we have registered for with the invitations. But I feel like it makes it easier for our guest if they would like to get us a gift. Any thoughts??

Married: 07/16/2010
Posted On: Oct 26, 2009 at 11:49 AM • Vendors are allowed • Add to My WatchlistFlag As Inappropriate1 like

17 Comments | Login or Signup to post a comment!

Married: 12/28/2009
Reviews: 9
Oct 26, 2009 at 12:48 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
In general it is considered poor taste to include that information on STDs and invites other than wedding shower invites when it's hosted by someone other than the bride and groom. However more people are starting to do that. The better way to handle it is putting it on a wedding website that has lots of other information or passing along the word through your parents and wedding party. Even Facebook has wedding pages you can create and that would be an appropriate place to show registry information.

Married: 09/12/2009
Reviews: 8
Oct 26, 2009 at 1:05 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
I was told this too and chose to ignore it. I included it in the invitation. I don't understand why that is rude. If you don't do it then you'll have hundreds of people asking you where you are registered at. I would say to go for it. Would you be upset if you were invited to a wedding where they told you where they were registered at? Nope! Who came up with that rule anyway?? :o)

Married: 01/17/2010
Reviews: 7
Oct 26, 2009 at 1:11 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
I decided to put a card in my invitations that says "For information on hotel accommodations, map & directions, registry, RSVP, and all things wedding, please visit our website" I put our website on the card also. That way you are letting people know all the great things they can find on your webpage including the registry.
When I sent out my STDs I only included the website at the bottom and 2 people told me they thought that it was just the website for the company that made the cards. That's why I added the additional information to the invitations this time.

Married: 02/20/2010
Reviews: 5
Oct 26, 2009 at 1:28 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
I have heard it's innappropriate, however every invitation I have received in the past couple years has included the registry information. I agree that it cuts down on people asking where you registered.

Married: 05/28/2011
Oct 26, 2009 at 1:42 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
You should do that but a way around that is to write on your invitation something like this you can also RSVP at www.weddingwire.com and that way they might check out the website and see you are registered

guerita
Married: 05/15/2010
Reviews: 14
Oct 26, 2009 at 1:48 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
I plan to direct them to our website for the Save the Dates and include a separate card with our invitation and/or place the website again.

FMS, the barefoot wife!
Married: 2+ years ago
Reviews: 10
Oct 26, 2009 at 1:50 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
Sorry maam, you're not supposed to include registry info on invites, or even on an invite insert card, the only place you can and should put it is on your bridal shower invite and your wedding website..

Married: 07/16/2010
Oct 26, 2009 at 1:51 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
Thanks for the ideas and feedback

Married: 10/03/2009
Reviews: 6
Oct 26, 2009 at 2:01 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
Just FYI, the reason that it is considered poor taste to include this information in invites is because it implies that you are expecting a gift in return for their attendance, or that gifts are "required".
The information is totally acceptable to include in shower invites and other wedding parties where gifts are customary, however, not in the formal invite.
You would be surprised how many people will be able to figure out where you are registered withtout the card in the wedding invite. We had NO problems at all. I think only 2 people (out of 100 guests) even asked. We included a card in the invite that read "for more details visit www.patrickandanaly.com" where registry info was listed. Worked great!

Married: 05/15/2010
Oct 26, 2009 at 2:05 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
never never never put registry information on your wedding invites. When you give that invitation to someone, you are giving the image of "Here, you are invited to our wedding, but you need to buy us a gift here or here or here". This is considered very rude. I have gotten many invites with registry information on them, and my jaw drops every time. Registry information should be given via website or word of mouth. Showers are ok, since it is not form the bride/groom or the family. You are having a celebration, gifts are not a requirement for you guests.

Married: 11/14/2009
Oct 26, 2009 at 4:26 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
IM WITH THE POTTERS AND JLPURCE. I PERSONALLY STARTED GETTING ASKED BEFORE I EVEN GAVE OUT THE INVITES. SO WHAT I DID SINCE I ALSO POSTD ABOUT THIS QUESTION, FH PRINTED OUT LIL CARDS AND WE PUT THEM ON THE INVITES. I FIND IT TO BE REALLY HELPFUL ESPECIALLY SINCE WE WERE NOT HAVING A BRIDAL SHOWER. IT ALL DEPENDS ON HOW U FEEL ABOUT IT. I KNW ALOT OF PPL ARE STILL OLD SKU AND DNT LIKE GETTING ONLINE SO THATS BEIGN CONSIDERATE OF OTHERS.
WE JUST PUT THE COUPLE IS REGISTERED AT TARGET AND THE NAME OF THE REGISTRY.
ITS NOT THAT UR EXPECTING A GIFT, BUT I PERSONALLY WOULDNT SHOW UP TO A PARTY WITHOUT A GIFT.
AND IF PPL DECIDE TO BUY ONE FOR U THAN AT LEAST THEYLL KNW WHAT U WANT AND WONT GET U SOMETHING THAT U WONT NEED.

Oct 26, 2009 at 6:05 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
FYI I put our wedding website on the save the date and for some reason lots of people didn't even read it. Especially close family. They got the save the date and threw it on their fridge because they already knew what it said. They didn't actually READ it. Plus there are actually people out there who don't use, or like to use, the internet.

Oct 26, 2009 at 6:06 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
Also...I have no problem saying "you are invited to my wedding"..... "here is where you can get me a gift from" :o)

weliz
Married: 2+ years ago
Reviews: 7
Oct 27, 2009 at 9:44 AM • Flag As Inappropriate
We included a separate card with our invites directing people to our wedding website to RSVP and get more info. It worked great! Everyone found the registries without a problem.

Cater It Simple
Oct 27, 2009 at 10:19 AM • Flag As Inappropriate
Konichiwa, that is a great idea.
I'm usually very pro on proper etiquette, but I swear some of these rules just make me wonder "who MAKES these rules? WHO gets to decide what is appropriate?"
We are now in an electronic age. Most invites and communications I receive are via evite and internet email. The times, they are a changin'! Shouldn't some of these "rules" change with us? Many of the "proper" methods were determined LONG before the arrival of easy internet information and communication.
I never advocate being rude. But I never look down on pre-printed thank-you's, evite invitations, or email followups.

Tracey
Married: 05/22/2011
Oct 27, 2009 at 10:35 AM • Flag As Inappropriate
I don't think it's inappropriate anymore. I think it's better to include it in the shower invitation but if you're not having a shower, then put it in the regular invitation!

RavenK
Married: Recently Married
Oct 27, 2009 at 1:52 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
okay but what if your not having a shower and don't plan on making a website? what do you do then? I have had family ask about a registry as well and wasn't sure where to put this info. ??
Login or Signup to post a comment!

Topics

Vow of Conduct