Add straps to a my wedding dress?!?!
I need advice! My wedding dress is strapless. I don't think I'm going to feel very comfortable in it so I'm thinking about adding a halter strap to it. But I'm not sure what kind to do. The lady at the dress shop said it should be plain material (she was going to use the excess corset tie material to make it) because there is really beautiful beading detail on the dress & we shouldn't take away from that. I see her point but I don't really agree. I am picturing so many different styles in my head....thicker plain straps, thinner beaded straps, thicker beaded straps....I don't know! Any advice??? I will upload a picture of my dress. I appreciate any tips you can give me! =)

Married: 08/26/2012
Posted On: Jun 9, 2012 at 5:34 PM • Add to My WatchlistFlag As Inappropriate0 likes

11 Comments | Login or Signup to post a comment!

Married: 10/18/2014
Jun 09, 2012 at 5:36 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
Personally I wouldn't I think it would take away from the dress, I love it strapless and I think it's a beautiful gown.

Married: 05/04/2013
Reviews: 5
Jun 09, 2012 at 5:36 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
hmmm...I don't know how I feel about halters. I feel like they tend to make people look top heavy. Maybe you could do those lace cap type straps?

Married: 10/15/2011
Reviews: 7
Jun 09, 2012 at 5:37 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
I wouldn't add straps to that dress. Halter is just going to make it even more uncomfortable. Why did you feel uncomfortable in it, except for the obvious that wedding gowns are not the most comfortable thing ever?

keli716
Married: 09/08/2012
Jun 09, 2012 at 5:38 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
maybe something similar to this? or the capped sleeves? I think its gorgeous as is though

Edited On: Jun 09, 2012 at 5:39 PM

Married: 1+ year ago
Jun 09, 2012 at 5:44 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
Your dress is gorgeous but i do understand. I haven't purchased my gown yet, but the one i am seriously considering will have to be altered for sleeves for two reasons 1. My mother will scream if i have on a strapless dress in church(and so will everyone else) nad 2. I will feel more comfortable. I think the thing to decide is do you want the straps to be a focal point or not. If not i would do something think and even sheer. If you want them to be more prominent then i would use the satin and maybe go with a capped sleeve like in the picture that keli attached.

Married: 2+ years ago
Jun 09, 2012 at 5:48 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
i say no to plain straps, they look bulky, yes to beaded, they cant take detail from the dress because if they are correctly added they become a part of the dress :-)

Anonymous
Married: 2+ years ago
Reviews: 3
Jun 09, 2012 at 7:50 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
I personally wouldn't do it. What if you wait until your dress comes in and have it fitted. They can always put in some supports to make sure that the "girls" are supported. If you're still not satisfied then I would say add the straps.

Married: 09/08/2012
Jun 09, 2012 at 9:05 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
I would be too nervous to do something that dramatic, I think that dress is intended to stay strapless.

Soon to be Mrs R
Married: 06/30/2012
Reviews: 6
Jun 09, 2012 at 9:12 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
I had cap sleeves added to my dress.

Married: 11/10/2012
Reviews: 7
Jun 09, 2012 at 9:27 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
My vote is for the cap sleeves but I think it's beautiful w/o.

Married: 11/13/2011
Reviews: 6
Jun 09, 2012 at 9:38 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
Congrats and welcome! Please take a moment to read over this thread for newer users and change your avatar so we can remember you!

http://www.weddingwire.com/wedding-forums/new-to-the-weddingwire-forums-please-read-before-you-post/b433c40c1a62b96a.html
Login or Signup to post a comment!

Topics

Vow of Conduct