1800's Theamed Wedding
I have always wanted to have a 1800's wedding and suprisingly, when I asked my fh about it, he liked the idea. I'm pretty much set on the groomsmen and fh for their clothing (I ride english so I know what I'm doing there) since I will just get that at the tack shop. It's me and my bridesmaids I am having trouble with. I want to make the dresses myself to save money, but seeming as I'm not as good with figuring out patterns, I'm kind of stuck. Has anyone else done a 1800's wedding or have any ideas?

Married: 2+ years ago
Posted On: May 7, 2010 at 1:03 AM • Add to My WatchlistFlag As Inappropriate1 like

12 Comments | Login or Signup to post a comment!

J.S.
Reviews: 5
May 07, 2010 at 1:06 AM • Flag As Inappropriate
What do you mean by figuring out patterns? I figure if I can sew and follow the pattern, anyone can! :) It's A LOT of work, though. My mom is retired and it took her 6 months to do my wedding gown because we played around with a lot of ideas. I think your theme will be great, though!

May 07, 2010 at 1:13 AM • Flag As Inappropriate
I guess I should have explained better. I have looked at patterns that I can buy in a store and the problem is that they are so "poofy" and from what I read b/c I want it to be as close to traditional as possible, those really aren't that good as the dresses worn in the 1800's were actually kind of plain because they were expected to be able to be worn again as church clothing, so I am kind of going to have to create my own design.....which is what I am bad at since growing up, I did have a few girly times, but alot of the time, i was a tom boy as far as what I wore and didn't really care about fashion that much.

Married: 05/23/2010
May 07, 2010 at 3:30 AM • Flag As Inappropriate
The biggest question is what part of the 1800's/what dress style? Early on was empire waists and poof sleeves and by the end of the century it had moved to tighter tops with bustled dresses.
If its important to you to be historically accurate, I would recommend finding some costuming books to find out what they really looked like.
And as for the dresses being simpler, it really depended on what social strata you want to look like you fall into. If you had enough money, they were damn extravagant. If you were more in the middle, then yeah, they would be much simpler.
To be completely honest though, you might not want to go with historically accurate. If you want to match up to the guys in English riding clothing, you will be limited to the period where that was the style men wore, and the typical women's fashions of that day may not look as good for you.
I'd just pick a dress style you love, looks good on you and the girls, and feels historical--since nobody else will know :)

Mrs. Carmen
Reviews: 4
May 07, 2010 at 4:01 AM • Flag As Inappropriate
My suggestion for BM dresses? Hehe...it takes a fine palette to appreciate a piece like this, and I'd buy it for myself if I could...kind of a modern take on a more 1800's vintage look...

Mrs. Carmen
May 07, 2010 at 4:01 AM • Flag As Inappropriate

Mrs. Carmen
May 07, 2010 at 4:02 AM • Flag As Inappropriate
http://www.etsy.com/listing/42188566/layered-ruffled-dream-dress-tunic-dress?ref=sr_list_13&ga_search_query=layer victorian dress&ga_search_type=handmade&ga_page=&includes[]=tags&includes[]=title

May 07, 2010 at 2:27 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
I realized this morning that I forgot to ask for decoration ideas as well....

May 09, 2010 at 1:11 AM • Flag As Inappropriate
Thanks for the help! I will deff be sticking to this website for planning. Everyone here is much nicer than another website I was on. I asked the same questions on there and used the same language and abrevated on there like I have seen everyone doing on here and got chewed out by someone on there telling me I wasn't using proper grammar. :/

Camlynn2
Married: 08/28/2010
Reviews: 3
May 09, 2010 at 12:00 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
There are people at local museums who could help you trememdously with what you are proposing. The museum in Charleston (about an hour from where I live) is actually doing a show for the next month on Wedding Fashion in the Lowcountry (SC) through the centuries. It's a neat show. Perhaps there is something similar in an area near you. You could call or email the museum curator who could certainly refer you to someone who could expertly help.

Reviews: 1
May 09, 2010 at 12:08 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
I had to click this link because I've been toying with the idea of pulling in some circa-1880s elements in my wedding. My venue is a historic building in Galveston, built in 1886 (the Garten Verein). I know, at the very least, I want a dress that looks like it belongs there - poufy, lots of lace, etc. Have you booked your venue yet? That will probably help a lot when deciding on decor.

Married: 05/21/2010
Reviews: 15
May 09, 2010 at 12:17 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
You might also look into people who make custom apparel for the goth community--they will be more used to doing the basic styles you're thinking of, and probably have some experience making/modifying patterns so they can get it just the way you want it.

Married: 12/19/2010
Reviews: 5
May 09, 2010 at 12:19 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
What part of the 1800's, Hun? There was quite a change in the style of dress from 1800 - 1899. If you could narrow it down maybe we could help more.
Login or Signup to post a comment!

Topics

Vow of Conduct