Photo courtesy of Desiree Hartsock
The WeddingWire team was obviously psyched to chat with Bachelorette Desiree Hartsock. Not only is Desiree a bride-to-be herself, she’s also designing her own collection of wedding gowns with the beloved Maggie Sottero, due out in August (we've got a first look at her inspiration board below!). With a background as a bridal consultant and designer, Desiree had lots to share, both about her own exciting new collection, her own tastes, and advice for fellow brides-to-be shopping for their gowns. Check out our eight favorite tidbits from our interview:
Inspiration Board courtesy of Maggie Sottero
- Desiree’s inspiration for her collection with Maggie Sottero is the Art Deco movement. “I’ve always been drawn to Art Deco style,” says Desiree. “I love Old Hollywood starlets from the 1920s, through the 60s. They had a certain allure.”
- Three words she’d use to describe her upcoming collection with Maggie Sottero? “Romantic, artistic, and wearable.”
- The inspiration board for her gowns (see above) includes both 1920s-inspired and modern imagery, including New York’s Chrysler Building, as well as modern day celebrities like Gwyneth Paltrow.
- Her favorite romantic movie is Pride and Prejudice. “I’m such an old soul,” she says.
- She loves gowns with a certain “flowiness” and movement. “I love gowns with more relaxed silhouettes,” she says.
- Impeccable and flattering fit will be an important component of her collection. “When you wear your wedding dress, you want to feel like the most beautiful person in the world,” says Desiree. “And fit has a lot to do with that.”
- Desiree’s best wedding dress shopping advice? Keep your entourage small. “Don’t bring 10 of your friends,” she advises. “Bring one friend or just your mom. Too many people can totally influence your decision.”
- Any other dress-shopping words of wisdom? “You may have a picture in your head of what you’ll wear on your wedding day, but it might not be what looks best on you. Be open to suggestions from your bridal consultant.”
Stay tuned for more information on Desiree’s collection with Maggie Sottero in the coming months!