Whitehall Estate & Winery

Responsiveness
Professionalism
Value
Flexibility

Douglas is so wonderful to work with. I'm not sure how he stays so calm and collected working with so many brides. He's very responsive on email and he's willing to work with you to make whatever you want to happen, actually happen. He even accommodated our 20 person band. The venue is stunning no matter what time of year you have your wedding. The food is also amazing. Our guests were raving about the appetizers and dinner. All of the staff was very friendly the day of our event. We were so happy we booked our wedding at Whitehall. I can't imagine having had it anywhere else. They take very good care of the grounds as well so all our pictures outside were gorgeous!

Services Used: Ceremony & Reception Venue

I love Whitehall and am a little sad that now that our wedding has passed I don't have any excuses to make the trip back to the venue. Doug was a pleasure to work with from Day 1. He was very responsive and friendly and I knew once we booked the venue that we were in great hands. During the ceremony, everything was set up as I requested and Francisco did an awesome job taking care of us and working with our DJ to make sure the timeline was as planned. His staff even made plates for us from the buffet so we could spend more time mingling with guests. Whitehall is such a beautiful venue that you need very little outside decorations so we were able to save money on flowers & reception decor. The food was great too! It was much better than when we had our tasting there and everyone gave us positive feedback on it. You can also BYOB which saved us thousands of dollars and lucky for us we even had some leftover to take home. If I had it to do all over again I would chose Whitehall again!

Services Used: Ceremony & Reception Venue

My husband and I found Whitehall Manor through an internet search and decided to check it out. We fell in love with the venue and owner - Douglas! Right away we knew we had to get married at Whitehall Manor! Douglas was so helpful with getting us all set, from our contract to catering (with Celebrations, the onsite caterer) and everything in between. He was up front with pricing, so we knew there wasn't any hidden costs! Douglas worked with us and our wedding planner to make our day so special.
We had a complimentary tasting at the venue to try the different food options in hopes to narrow down our menu. We loved everything! We joked that it didn't matter what was for dinner because everything was so delicious! We ended up going with a plated meal, choice of fillet mignon or golden roast chicken, sides of roasted fingerling potatoes and grilled balsamic vegetables! Yum!!
On wedding day, we were allowed on site in the afternoon, I was in the bridal suite while my husband was in the groom's room. The wait staff brought us drinks and snacks throughout the day. Once it was time to start the ceremony, it was beautiful! We got married outside at the gazebo and had beautiful weather! (Luckily, Whitehall has a Plan B Option incase of bad weather!) Then during the cocktail hour, the bridal party and our family took photos with us. The wait staff was so awesome! They brought drinks and food around to everyone taking care of all of us!
During the reception, everything went perfectly! The food was delicious and hot! (The kitchen is right off the dance floor.) My husband and I were also given a plate of hors d'oeuvres during the meal! They wanted to make sure we had the full experience!
It was perfect and reasonably priced. We recommend Whitehall to everyone!

Services Used: Ceremony & Reception Venue

I would give Douglas and Whitehall 10 stars if I could. We had to book our venue and venues fairly quickly because we were moving away from the DC area 3 months after we got engaged. During our 15-month engagement, Douglas worked with us virtually for everything we needed. He is super responsive via email and was very flexible and accommodating. I wanted to add twinkle lights under the sky lights above the dance floor. He took it even further by installing outlets in the ceiling and ordering vintage looking hanging lights for our wedding. It was too cold to get married outside, so we did the ceremony inside under the skylights on the dance floor. The string lights really took the look to another level. I was able to come home only one time in between when we booked Whitehall and our wedding. Douglas allowed me to have a private tasting with the chef to pick out all our food because he knew there was no other time I'd be able to do it. When our DJ had to cancel on Thursday night, I called Douglas and he was able to set me up with someone new within 20 minutes. The only critique I would give to Whitehall is that they don't allow anyone in the facility until 3 hours before the event. It would've been a lot more convenient to get ready in the bridal suite, but we made it work off-site. The service staff was very attentive, respectful, and overall superb. Definitely book Whitehall; it's not only one of the best deals in the DC metro area, but you really get a lot of service for your money.

Services Used: Ceremony & Reception Venue

My husband and I just had our wedding reception at Whitehall Manor last weekend and it was an absolutely amazing experience!! Douglas was very attentive the entire time we worked with him, always answering my emails and phone calls very quickly. I felt like I could always rely on him and I didn't have to stress during the day of our wedding because I knew it would go flawlessly.

The day of staff was amazing to us and our guests! Francisco and his staff constantly checked up on my husband and I to make sure we had drinks and appetizers, even after cocktail hour ended. I've never felt so pampered! Our guests were amazed by the quality of the food and the service by the servers and bartenders. I would highly recommend this venue to anyone looking for their wedding. Thanks Douglas and Francisco!

1 Review
Recently Married

I cannot thank you enough for your contribution to our joyous event. The venue was beautiful. The staff was amazing. Everything, every detail was carried out better than we could have expected of any venue and staff. Our event at Whitehall Manor was flawless. One of the staff members even caught the porcelain cake topper in midair, with one hand, preventing what could have been a disaster. I would recommend Historic Whitehall Manor to anyone who wants a very detailed wedding and reception to be carried out beautifully inside or out. The food was exceptional, the manor was beautiful and felt like we were in a family home. All of the contributing vendors were treated with utmost professionalism. Thank you for an amazing event. Kitty

Services Used: Catering, Ceremony & Reception Venue, Party Supplies, Unique Services (Other), Wedding Planning
Melody
11/07/2014

I can honestly say this was the absolute BEST place for us to have ever chosen to have our wedding. The property is absolutely gorgeous and stole our hearts when we started looking for a wedding venue, nestled in the mountains -- the historic building and beautiful outdoors should be award winning! Whitehall's POC, Mr. Douglas Armstrong is truly a phenomenal human being. He worked with us day, night, over the phone, email, Skype and in person to ensure we had the wedding of our dreams (and within our budget)! Thank you SO much Douglas!!!! EVERYONE at our wedding agreed the staff at Whitehall day of was over-the-top on point - they were polite, helped anywhere they could, immediately made us feel important and above all, neither the groom nor myself were ever without a drink all day. They even went as far as to fix our plate of food for us when the wedding was getting super hectic. Additionally, the food was out of this world. People are STILL talking about it. Future brides (& grooms) look no further, I assure you, you will not be disappointed! Thanks again to everyone at Whitehall who took care of us and made our vision a reality!!!!

Services Used: Catering, Ceremony & Reception Venue

As soon as I saw this venue online, I knew I had to check it out and work it into my budget. The mansion is FANTASTIC and the surrounding area is GORGEOUS at the least. I loved the private setting and beautiful decor inside. It's very easy to decorate to any theme you have and its so spacious with all the separate rooms on the main level and upstairs it was the best decision I made for my entire wedding. Douglas was amazing the entire planning period and so incredibly responsive to alllllllllllllllllll my emails. He was always welcoming and to the point. After going to so many venues and meeting so many sales people it gets really annoying when they give you the whole pitch and schmoozing. Douglas gave me all the information I needed and had a smile the whole time.

Now on to the food. I am STILL hearing about how amazing all the food was. It was a Korean/Italian wedding so the food was going to be under much speculation and the kitchen staff at Whitehall did not disappoint. Everything was delicious and there was not ONE negative thing I've heard about any of the food. The event captain Francisco was superb along with all the other staff. Everyone was asking my husband and I if we needed anything from water/alcoholic beverage or food. They even saved us some hor douvres because we didn't get a chance to even step foot into our cocktail hour. The landscaping was perfect and I couldn't have asked for a better location and scenery. It was everything I imagined it would be.

Services Used: Catering, Ceremony & Reception Venue

I cannot praise Whitehall enough for how they handle weddings. I signed on with them one year before my wedding, and throughout the whole planning process I was so impressed by their professionalism, organization, and expertise in planning, coordinating, and running weddings.

The main reasons we chose to have our wedding at Whitehall are:

1.The venue is BEAUTIFUL, ROMANTIC, and CLASSIC.
2.I loved that we would have the whole property to ourselves for the whole day, including beautiful rooms for the bridal party and groomsmen to get ready (separately), and we would not be rushed out for another wedding before or after us. There were also many different rooms/coves/balconies/decks where people could go, instead of some of the other venues I went to see that had EVERYTHING in one big room.
3.The bride and groom can decide on THE DAY OF THE WEDDING whether they would like to have the ceremony INSIDE OR OUTSIDE, depending on weather. This was VERY important to me, (and unique!) since I really wanted to be outside for the ceremony but did not want the stress of having to deal with bad weather.
4.The staff (I worked mostly with Doug, but they are all excellent) KNOWS WHAT THEY ARE DOING. THEY ARE EXPERTS.

Throughout the year, I had many phone calls with Doug, many of which HE INITIATIED to make sure we were on track with the planning and not forgetting any of the details. He made himself very available and had great tips on selecting vendors (what questions to ask, who to use, etc.), the ‘flow’ of the wedding, and gave great ideas for decorations that he has seen at the MANY weddings they’ve hosted there in the past.

It was such a load off of the planning that they provide the venue, the catering, the staff, bartenders (but not the alcohol, which you can easily buy at wholesale price instead anyway, and not the dessert), linens, and more. Note that the catering (everything included except alcohol and cake) is about $100 per person, which brings the price up q

Services Used: Ceremony & Reception Venue, Rehearsal Dinner Location

Thanks to Douglas and the team at Whitehall Manor, we were able to have the wedding of our dreams. Every stage of the planning process was easy, detailed and professional. The venue is gorgeous, the food is incredible and the staff was wonderful. We have had so many guests tell us it was the best wedding they have EVER been to!

Services Used: Ceremony & Reception Venue

From our very first visit to Whitehall, my husband and I knew that it was the perfect place to host our wedding reception. Douglas gave us our tour and was so friendly and professional that we were immediately impressed. Throughout our tasting, site visit, planning meetings, and even pre-wedding drop off, he and his staff could not have been more courteous or attentive. He responded to every email in a timely and complete way, no matter how silly the question. He was also incredibly accommodating when my husband and I asked if we could have our engagement photos taken at Whitehall. His recommended vendor list is worth its weight in gold - every vendor selection we made based on that list gave us incredible service and value.

When we arrived at Whitehall after our church wedding, the grounds looked absolutely stunning. Our guests kept asking us how we had found such a perfect location. The manager on staff introduced himself to us at the beginning of the night and was very attentive, even bringing my husband an extra plate of appetizers to our table when he said how much he had liked them. The food was even better than at our group tasting, and the bar service was excellent. At the end of the night, everything was packed incredibly quickly and efficiently. My parents couldn't believe that they even sent us home with boxed up leftovers of the (delicious) food.

Overall, a wonderful venue which deserves every compliment. Our wedding reception was perfect and Whitehall was the perfect place to have it.

Recently Married

Absolutely stunning venue...inside and out with its panoramic views of the mountains!
Professional and delightful (not always the case in my experience) staff!
Food was delicious and there was plenty of it. We're still getting rave reviews from guests.
Beautiful grounds...simple, elegant--great photo ops for before, during and after, including staircases inside and out, a beautiful swing in the garden, porches, gazebo, old barns--we loved it all!

Recently Married

The venue was beautiful, everything was clean, and the staff was exemplary. There was never a time throughout the day when DH and I felt neglected. Whenever we entered a room, there was food on a plate, drinks poured, and staff waiting on us hand and foot. Our food came out hot and quickly. Our glasses were always full. The speakers that Douglas provided, as well as the Bluetooth sound situation system functioned beautifully.

Several of our guests remarked on the excellent quality of the food, the cleanliness of the venue, the professionalism of the staff, and the overall warm, welcoming, wonderful ambience that Whitehall provided for us on our special day. In fact, our jeweler who owns Hunt Country Jewelers, located in Purcellville, said that it was the best, most enjoyable, wedding that he had ever been to. And there were several other guests who echoed his remarks. In fact, there was a couple who had their wedding there years ago, who remarked that our wedding may have been better than theirs.

As I reflect on the day, my only regret is that we have only one wedding because if I had to do it again I would without a doubt contract with Whitehall and Douglas.

They even held onto the top tier of the wedding cake that my mom forgot to grab at the end of the night. I picked up two days later, and the kitchen staff had it safely stored out of the way for me.

Fantastic venue, staff, and manager!

Recently Married

Whitehall is the most ideal wedding venue you can ask for. It is beautiful, it is versatile and every single person you deal with is a true professional at what they do. To be helpful, here are some facts that make them truly special:
- They only do wedding, it's in their blood and veins. They only do one wedding a day. It truly feels like having the wedding at your childhood home except it is insanely glamorous.
- Yes, you sign a contract an there are terms and rules set within but as long as you are reasonable, these people will work with you however they can to make your day perfect. Not only that, they're not yes-men either. Because they have so much experience, they will tell you if your suggestion doesn't work. They have an answer to everything.
- The food is incredible, our tasting was one of the best (and biggets meals) we've ever had and the food on the day-of is just as good, if not better.
- It's 24/7 service for the bride, especially the month leading up to the day (THANK YOU DOUG!)
- You don't need a wedding coordinator on the day-of because the captain is so with it that anyone else would just get in the way. If I was thirsty, water was brought to me in 2 seconds, if I was hungry, there was fruit, cheese and snacks immediately, if I was hot the AC was turned up before I know it, when the vendors came, things were set up immediately, when it was time to cut the cake, all the utensils and glasses were set up miraculously, when it was time for the sparklers, lighters were lit, 5 seconds later, there were already people walking around with buckets for disposing the sparklers. If the weather looks a little iffy, they set up the inside and outside chairs (with decoration, everything) in case your guests have to run inside at a moment's notice. All this, and they are pretty much invisible.
- They have great vendor relationships

Just trust them on anything that you are not sure of, they know what they are doing. It was a perfect day!

Services Used: Ceremony & Reception Venue

So gorgeous. Had so many complements from guests on the beauty of this location. Also the coordinator is a breeze to work with!

1+ year ago

My review is very late as we got married last May. We worked very closely with Doug and his staff and they were all fantastic. I can be a picky person and he always remained very patient and accomodating. Any phone call, email, or text I sent he promptly responded and always with a positive response or idea. The location was beautiful, a perfect mix of elegance and country. You feel very special because you have the whole place to yourself without the risk of outside people entering. We lucked out and had beautiful weather but they were ready just in case. He was present the day of our wedding and even stayed until the end to help my parents clean up because our wedding planner didn't. I really struggled in the beginning because I knew I wanted a wedding the country that didn't feel like stereotypical country. I also knew I wanted the reception inside. That is very hard to find in Loudoun County and for it to still be able to be elegant. If you are looking for that perfect mix, you should book them now. You will have no regrets and everything will be taken care of. Thank you Doug!! I don't think I said it enough!

Services Used: Ceremony & Reception Venue, Rehearsal Dinner Location