Tides Folly Beach

Value
Flexibility
4.3
4.2

We recently had our wedding at Tides Folly Beach and had an, overall, amazing experience.
On our wedding day, there was a slight lack of communication and I was not told until the morning of that there was another wedding going on at the same time, which would result in me having to go through the back kitchen (dragging my dress through water on the ground) to get to my reception; however, the staff was amazing and even helped me hold my dress up so it wouldn’t get damaged and guided me to where I needed to be.
The food was great—so good in fact, that nobody wanted to eat our wedding cake because they were so full after their four courses.
During the reception, the only bathroom nearby backed up and started leaking sewage everywhere. The sewage leaked under the wall and onto the carpet in our reception room, but the staff was so apologetic, preparing a guest room for us to use as a bathroom, and even giving us a partial refund for the inconvenience. Our guests didn’t seem to mind (though, it could have been the alcohol that calmed their nerves haha).
I would recommend Tides Folly Beach for any bride wanting a beach wedding. The beach is absolutely gorgeous, the pier makes for some amazing photos, the reception food and cakes are delicious, and most importantly, the staff is absolutely amazing—they will do their best to make sure your day is as close to perfect as possible. I am so incredibly happy with our choice to have our destination wedding at Tides Folly Beach!

P.S. Make sure you put one of your friends on Beach Patrol to politely ask people to move out of the way so they will not be in your pictures. You would think people would be considerate enough to not sit between your arbor and the ocean, but they aren’t. We had one of our friends go ask everyone to move and they did—except for one woman who was on her cell phone and got the privilege of being photoshopped out of our pictures. haha

3.9

Our experience with Tides was mixed. In the time between signing our contract and our wedding, they changed our contact person without notifying us, leading to weeks of unanswered emails and calls. It finally came together in time for the wedding, though, and the event itself went great. The beach is gorgeous and adds so much to the atmosphere (and photos). We got married on the sand, then moved inside to a ballroom for our reception, where everything flowed smoothly. Our guests enjoyed the food and the scenery. There were a few minor snags: the groom's last name was misspelled on the menus, and the cake was served late, but overall it was the wedding we were hoping for and everyone had a good time. I'd recommend Tides as a wedding venue with the caveat to stay on top of the planning yourself (or hire a coordinator, which we didn't do).

0.7

Not recommended for events, especially weddings.Many mistakes on the hotel's part and great lack of communication along the way. Best part of the stay was our reception at Blu restaurant. I was a very calm bride, but the average bride would have created quite a scene at what we dealt with.

First of all, the hotel completely failed to mention that the beach was undergoing a huge renourishment project. I was unaware until my photographer (a local vendor) called me the Tuesday before. It took multiple calls to actually get a response from anyone at the hotel about the affect of this construction on our stay. And forget about talking to the hotel manager, he isn't even located on the property.

We were coming in from out of town. We booked in November and were married this weekend. Our event planner was out of town on the day of our event and didn't bother telling me until I asked to meet her upon our arrival to discuss the details of our ceremony. I had to ask for a new point of contact since she would not be there and was told if anything went wrong I could contact the front desk. When we arrived, we asked to speak to another event planner. They called someone else, but she still offered little information. It wasn't until the day before that we actually found out where the ceremony would be set up.

They booked another wedding right before ours and it ran late, literally ending 10 minutes before ours was starting. Because of the delay, the hotel left their decorations up at our ceremony. The tide was coming in and they failed to move the chairs and table up further. I watched from my hotel room as my husband ran in and out of the hotel looking for assistance with our setup, again, 10 minutes before our ceremony. No one went out of their way to ensure we had everything we needed, but in fact we had to go out of our way to make sure everything was taken care of.

Recently Married

We worked with Blair Stegall with The Tides to plan our wedding ceremony and reception. Everything was absolutely perfect. My husband and I booked The Tides as our venue and caterer about 14 months before our wedding and during all of those months Blair remained helpful and available whenever we had questions or concerns. We live about two hours away from Folly Beach and were able to do everything via e-mail and phone calls, although when I wanted to go have a face to face meeting with Blair she was readily available and always positive! I don't think our wedding would have turned out so perfect without her and the staff that worked so hard to set everything up and break everything down after, and take care of all of us for the duration and for our entire five day stay at the hotel. From the bartenders to the the staff helping with the food preparations, everyone was so friendly, down to earth, professional and happy. It was a perfect day!! The cost to have our event at the Tides, on their pool deck, and have it fully catered including oysters and opened bar was extremely reasonable. Since my now husband and I took on most of the cost on our own, we were on a strict budget and again Blair helped in so many ways to make sure we stuck to our budget. Thank you so much to The Tides and everyone that made our day possible!! All of our guests left telling us that it was the best wedding they had ever attended and I wouldn't change anything about it!! P.S. The food was outstanding!!!

Services Used: Catering, Ceremony & Reception Venue, Wedding Planning
4.7

Tides Folly Beach is a great location for a beach wedding. When working with the catering manager, just make sure you stay on top of them because some times responses were delayed. The banquet staff was AWESOME! They made sure they took care of the bride & groom and the guest. Stephanie (Banquet Manager) was an amazing person to work with. Her team exceeded our expectations.

Anonymous
03/30/2013

We hosted our small reception dinner at Blu restaurant. From the first time we met with the catering manager until the night of the event we were impressed. We always felt "taken care of" in everyway. Since we ordered off the menu we had some special requests from our guests which were all granted. They took the time to set a special table for our large group and dedicated more than enough staff to make our service exceptional. The food was delicious and the atmosphere was festive. We could not have asked for more.

4.7

The staff was more than friendly! The venue was beautiful and the food was out of this world! It ended up raining on our wedding day and the staff helped move the ceremony location from outdoors to indoors back to outdoors, I couldn't have asked for better accommodations! If your looking for a great venue with an excellent view and fantastic food, tides is the place to be. Thanks to everyone who helped make our day unforgettable!

Services Used: Ceremony & Reception Venue

Unbelievable place! Perfect view!! Completely accommodating staff and rooms!!! Didn't meet one bad person, Blair and Melanie went above and beyond to make this an unbelievable day!!! Totally going back to visit as much as possible!!!

Services Used: Ceremony & Reception Venue

Great location! Beautiful beach. The staff was great!

Services Used: Ceremony & Reception Venue, Event Rentals & Photobooths, Wedding Planning