Thrush's Bakery

Flexibility:
 (3.4/5.0)

Sort By:

• Flexibility:  5.0
I first tried Thrush's cakes (also known as The Baker's Kitchen) at a friend's sister's wedding and it was so delicious that I had to ask who made their wedding cake. Ever since, it was in the back of my mind to use them for my own wedding cake someday. We taste tested several other cakes from local bakers, but the texture and taste was so much better from Thrush's that we went with them. We did the white cake with Bavarian creme filling and it was amazing. We didn't use a variety of different flavors/colors to the cake, we just kept things simple with the whole cake being one flavor. They worked with me on our design based on a photo they had in their photo portfolio. I had some ribbon to add and the end result was perfect. They were careful with our custom cake topper and had a prepared anniversary cake for us afterwards. I highly recommend going with them, they make the sweetest and best textured cakes by far. My biggest advice to brides and grooms about the cake is to cut a large enough slice when you do your cake cutting, and do not smash cake in each other's faces. ;)
Wedding: 11/17/2012
4.8/5.0
  • Professionalism:  4.0
  • Flexibility:  5.0
The cake looked and tasted great. Everyone loved it! We did a taste test with several other Toledo area bakeries and Thrush's was the best. The bakers were flexible with the size and flavors. The only thing I could come up with to say negatively is that sometimes we had to wait around in the store for a while because the bakers were busy, it was hot, the floor was sticky and we didn't really get an invoice, but there was no issue with not having an invoice in the end. I would definitely recommend them.
Wedding: 10/01/2011
0.2/5.0
  • Quality of Service:  0.0
  • Responsiveness:  0.0
  • Professionalism:  0.0
  • Value:  1.0
  • Flexibility:  0.0
After YEARS of biting my tongue, I totally agree with the negative comments listed here and honestly it is nice to know others feel the same way about there service at Thrush's. My family and I have been a long time customers including my wedding cake (which I wish I had gotten elsewhere!). I have continued to try to overcome the condescending nature and generally not friendly attitude of the owners because my kids enjoy going there and it is the only close bakery. Numerous times we have had issues... And I just do not understand why they fight you and not just make the customer happy and apologize... Why can they not just SMILE and be friendly?.. especially to long time customers.. it is crazy to me. I just wish I had another bakery with some really genuinely nice friendly owners/staff to support. It's very sad to me.. To think what their business COULD BE if they fixed this long time problem. I wish I had followed "my gut" and gone elsewhere for my wedding cake. Upon meeting the owner I KNEW I didn't like her, and you will too. Follow your gut.. I assure u... This is too special of a day to have a negative condescending person part of it... They need an attitude adjustment and customer service class 101... Especially the owners but also the entire staff!
Wedding: 05/21/2011
0.9/5.0
  • Quality of Service:  0.5
  • Responsiveness:  0.5
  • Professionalism:  0.5
  • Value:  1.0
  • Flexibility:  2.0
Worst experience ever!! I called thrush's and set up an appointment. They gave me a time and got me right in. I had my mom come in from out of town to go with me and when we got thursh's they acted like they knew nothing about the appointment. After having us wait a few min they had the baker/owner come over to talk to us. When she walked up first thing I noticed was that she did not introduce herself. She stood with her arms crossed and had a look on her face that we were bothering her. I wasn't really sure why she acted the way she did, I had an appointment. I showed her a picture of the cake I wanted and she simply said "no we wouldn't be able to do that". I was ok with that, but then she never gave any ideas on what they could do. She just kept telling me to look in a book of cakes they had made. She did not once ask me how many guests I would have or what ideas I was thinking for me cake. Needless to say I didn't want to take up anymore of her time or bother her with my business so my mother and I left. I would not go to thrush's it was horrible experience. I ended up going to Cherry Lane Cakes. It was great customer service and a much better price than Thrush's.
Wedding: 09/10/2010
  • Flexibility:  5.0
We ordered 6 cakes and 2 pies from Thrush's for our wedding - we had a dessert buffet with those, and bite-size desserts that my family made as well. The cakes looked great! Thrush's did an amazing job on our main cake, which was a 2-tier red velvet cake with buttercream frosting and chocolate dribble, then topped with chocolate covered strawberries! It looked and tasted amazing! I got so many compliments all night on how great the cakes looked and tasted. I didn't get a chance to eat much of our cake that night, so I saved the top tier and ate it after our honeymoon - and it was still delicious!!
Wedding: 03/20/2010
  • Flexibility:  5.0
Best cake I have ever seen and it even tasted perfect!
Wedding: 06/27/2009
4.8/5.0
  • Quality of Service:  4.0
  • Flexibility:  5.0
Beautiful wedding cake! We had our frosting dyed to match our sage color theme and the color was a little blotchy, but it still looked great. The frosting was piled an inch thick! I suppose that can be good or bad depending on how you look at it :) Their strawberry cake was so good we decided to have our anniversary tier done with that.
Wedding: 10/18/2008
0.0/5.0
  • Quality of Service:  0.0
  • Responsiveness:  0.0
  • Professionalism:  0.0
  • Value:  0.0
  • Flexibility:  0.0
I ordered and purchased a special occasion cake (not for my wedding, but a baptism) from their Glanzman location on 9/24/11. Upon consuming it, we noticed it wasn't fully cooked in the very center. It was sticky and dense, no sponge texture or air pockets. A simple mishap I concluded that would quickly be rectified with a phone call to their location, I was so wrong! I spoke with Marcia, an owner. Overall she was rather short, snippy, or sassy in her responses. She requested the cake back to verify my claim before she would discuss a resolution. That request was rather inconvenient and off putting to be required to prove my claim instead of taking an unsatisfied customers word alone and proceeding with a solution. Never the less, the cake was dropped off at their store and I followed up with a phone call to discuss the issue again. I spoke with Tom this time, who only identified himself and his position with the business after I requested the information. He is the owner, Marcia - his wife. After he proclaimed several times that such a situation has NEVER happened in all of the time (20yrs?) they had been in business (another clue of how delusional he was) I politely gave him my summary of the situation with our cake purchase. It was met with defensive denial. I was told the portion of cake that returned to the bakery was fully cooked and he would still need to see 'proof' of the uncooked portion in order to do anything about it. How he truly believed I was trying that hard to swindle him out of a refund (partial would have even been nice!) after going through extra effort to provide him the cake he requested was outlandish. I was logical, he was emotional. Tom has demanded that someone come in and point to the physical location of the cake that we felt was undercooked and that is the only way we are moving forward on this issue. Unfortunately I live out of state and had already returned home so i was unable to make it back into the bakery and he knew that. Advising Tom of this logistical challenge i suggested i send him the pictures i had captured. He advised that my phone call and emailing pictures wouldn't work - that i would HAVE to come in and point. A very childish way out of the disagreement. Clearly even if I would have been able to do that he had already made up his mind that the cake wasn't undercoooked and he wasn't willing to do anything about it. I had about 10 opinions from guests that also concluded the cake wasn't quite fully cooked, my opinion wasn't far fetched. I've checked the BBB and they have 3 complaints against them in the past 1 year. I will be submitting a complaint myself for customer service and product failure. Could it have even been a health hazard?

I had no idea Thrush's would be so stubborn that they're willing to cost themselves any future business from my family and now hopefully yours.
Wedding: 09/13/2008
4.2/5.0
  • Quality of Service:  4.0
  • Responsiveness:  4.0
  • Value:  4.0
  • Flexibility:  4.0
The bakery is actually the Maumee location. They are very busy there, but more than willing to help. Our cake turned out very nice. The only thing I did not like was the plate under the cake was gold...totally clashed with our wedding colors. I wish I had known ahead of time so I could have brought more greenery to cover the gold. Other than that I'd recommend this bakery.
Wedding: 07/05/2008