The MV Skansonia

Value:
Flexibility:
(4.7 / 5.0)
  • Flexibility: 5.0

The Skansonia was the perfect place to have our wedding. Their prices were reasonable compared to other waterfront venues we looked at. They were also very friendly and available for meetings to discuss details. They made all of the arrangements for cake, food, and wine tastings since we worked with them and their partner Lake Union Cafe and Bakery for the catering and cake. They also have a pretty good partnership with downtown spirits where they will deliver your alcohol for free and you get buying in bulk discounts with no cork fees with the Skansonia bartender. The day of coordinator is also part of the package and they make sure everything goes smoothly with the DJ, alcohol service, floral, and food. I didn't have to think about much on my wedding day other than saying the right words at the ceremony and having a good time. The Skansonia made the whole process seamless and wonderful.

• Wedding: 09/13/2014
  • Flexibility: 5.0

For our wedding we researched a few places around Seattle and the Skansonia was by far the most beautiful and romantic. At first we thought we cannot afford it, but once we run the numbers in Excel it was much cheaper than all the other places combined so we went for it.
Jen was our wedding coordinator and she was amazing! Actually that would be an understatement. She was extremely professional and she went way beyond to make sure everything was very good and exactly the way we planned it.
We would say, if it wasn't for Jen maybe we wouldn't have chosen this place. She made the whole difference in having the wedding exactly how we imagined it. We highly recommend her if you want your wedding to be a positive and enjoyable experience and most of all, stress free!!!
We loved the food and the vintage feel of the boat. Our guests from out of state and out of the country, enjoyed the beautiful view of Seattle and South Lake Union.
All in all the pictures were great, the day was gorgeous and sunny and the boat is extremely romantic.

• Wedding: Recently Married
Doru & Pam
1 Review
  • Flexibility: 5.0

I absolutely loved having my wedding at the Skansonia!!!! They made it so easy and beautiful. There were so many places to take pictures, hang out and celebrate. The food was phenomenal, the service was amazing and the setting was oh-so romantic and pretty. I highly recommend The Skansonia if you want a stunning, worry free wedding on Lake Union!

• Wedding: 07/25/2014
Services Used: Ceremony & Reception Venue, Rehearsal Dinner Location
  • Flexibility: 5.0

SO WONDERFUL. The venue is beautiful and the best part was that it is all-inclusive! We didn't have to organize bringing chairs, tablecloths, or anything like that. They even had table runners and electric tea lights (classy ones) to rent for decor. They have an on-site caterer, and day-of planner, who was indispensable.
When we looked at the boat for the first time, I thought "wow! This place is going to be way out of our budget!" I was pleasantly surprised. They charged us like a caterer! It was awesome!
Jenn and Kristine are very nice and professional, and they really made our day special and just how we wanted.

• Wedding: 06/15/2014
Services Used: Catering, Ceremony & Reception Venue, Lighting & Decor, Wedding Planning
  • Flexibility: 5.0

The staff at the Skansonia made my wedding so easy! As a business owner, I had very little time (and a budget) so I was unable to spend time planning my own wedding, and didn't have the finances to hire someone to do it for me. The Skansonia made sure our wedding went smoothly and also setup our cake and dinner options. This is almost a one stop venue! They recommended other fabulous vendors for the officiant, photographers, and more which made the search for good people to help with my wedding that much easier. Our wedding was perfect in everyway and the venue was gorgeous!!

• Wedding: 12/28/2013
Services Used: Catering, Ceremony & Reception Venue, Wedding Cake
Tina
  • Flexibility: 5.0

I could not believe what a beautiful setting the MV Skansonia was when we first saw it. How could we not pick it! The food was amazing, our cake was amazing, and everything we needed was attended to upon request. I have to say also that having so many things handled by one vendor is the way to go...I can't imagine having to choose a venue, then a caterer, then a bakery, etc. This is one great package. So many costs included in the low price, too - no cake fee, no cork fee, no extra fee for the bartender. Also, the dinner that is hosted in the spring for all the wedding couples to come and taste and plan their menus is brilliant. And best of all, SO AFFORDABLE! BEST WEDDING IN VENUE IN SEATTLE'S OUTDOORS! (and they can bring you inside in front of the fireplace if it rains with 5 minutes notice...how cool is that? we had sunny and 80, but just sayin')

• Wedding: 08/31/2013
  • Flexibility: 5.0

After a little bit of shopping around for venues, comparing costs, and options for our wedding day, we were at a loss. Until we stumbled upon the MV Skansonia. Let me begin by saying that we were looking for something that was hassel-free and all inclusive. We didn't like the idea of booking just a venue and then having to book separate vendors for everything - which is the case for weddings here in the U.S. We loved that the MV Skansonia included a food vendor, cake vendor, decorations, set up and clean up - all in their package. The other big thing that we loved about working with the MV Skansonia was that we were able to do an open bar that we wanted. Using their crew and staff we served our own homebrew and wine - that we made ourselves! This would not have been an option anywhere else.
Aside from those two things, the MV Skansonia staff was so easy to work with, was very professional and always available and responsive to any questions I had. Even after the wedding, we forgot a few things there and they were so accommodating to us when we went back to pick it up.
The venue is just beautiful and unique. You have to go visit it, there's just no way to describe the experience of it. The view from the bow of the boat pointing back to the skyline of Seattle; The charm that it is a historic decommissioned ferry boat - what a great experience for our guests who were from out of state.
I recommend this beautiful venue to anyone who wants a unique wedding experience.

• Wedding: 08/30/2013
  • Flexibility: 5.0

I really cannot say enough wonderful things about our wedding aboard the MV Skansonia, except that I wish we could relive that day again and again. We planned our wedding long-distance from New York City and were never able to visit the venue, meet the planners in person, or attend any tasting events. Despite the distance, I feel completely prepared and well taken care-of. All of my emails and calls were answered promptly, everything was explained to me clearly. All policies were fair and easy to understand. The day of, everything went absolutely perfectly. Staff were professional, warm, and helpful, I really didn't need to do anything except enjoy myself! Obviously one of the best things about the venue is how breathtakingly beautiful it is: the stunning view, the interior dark wood and porthole windows, all the outdoor space and flowers...we did not decorate at all aside from flowers, there was no need because it's already gorgeous! Having the upstairs space to drink champagne and take pictures and watch guests arrive was also really wonderful. It was a special time for me and my wedding party and closest family, and something not many venues have. The food, which we chose without tasting, was phenomenal! Everyone was raving about how great the food was, and although we just chose the light entree/heavy app option plus one extra pasta dish, everyone could eat their fill. We had a huge wedding with 14 in the wedding party and 220+ guests including plenty of kids, and it was cozy but never felt crowded. After dinner, it was wonderful for some guests to sit outside and enjoy a glass of wine while other danced and kids ran around. My wedding was an absolute dream, and the Skansonia was a huge part of that!

• Wedding: 08/23/2013
Services Used: Catering, Ceremony & Reception Venue, Lighting & Decor
  • Flexibility: 5.0

The MV Skansonia is a great place to work with. I'm not good at planning lots of details for a big party and the staff were especially helpful in the planning and on the day of. The day of coordinator, Paige was amazing and super patient with my indecisiveness. All of the staff were friendly and the food was awesome. My friends and family are still talking about how good the food was! Finally, I feel like we were able to have an event that reflected who we are. They even let us have our dog on the boat for the ceremony and reception! I highly recommend this venue for anyone who wants a Seattle waterfront wedding!

• Wedding: 08/12/2013
  • Flexibility: 5.0

The entire Skansonia experience captured the essence of our personalities, highlighted one of the best views of our city and was truly the wedding of our dreams! Their clear organization skills, and calm, positive staff were very much appreciated throughout the day and night! Everything from the weather, the atmosphere, the delicious food and transition from ceremony to rocking party were seamless.

• Wedding: 1+ year ago
Private User
1 Review
  • Flexibility: 5.0

We loved having our wedding and reception at Skansonia. The view was unbelievable and the charm of the boat was wonderful. We loved the food (signature salmon and lemon grass chicken). A few of the guests said it was the best wedding food they have ever had. The staff was always very helpful and everything went smoothly.

• Wedding: 07/21/2013
  • Flexibility: 5.0

This is a beautiful venue! If you are looking for a last minute Seattle summer wedding then you can get a great deal for Sun Aug 4, 2013 (afternoon or evening). Sadly my wedding was cancelled so you can benefit from my deposit and have it for almost half price: $3200 for 100 guests including catering!! (It is already reasonably priced compared to other Seattle venues). This place has so much to offer. First the quintessential Seattle backdrop (Lake Union with a view of the Space Needle). And the boat has so much character, sure it may be a little slanted, but thats okay. You hardly need to decorate because it already looks great as is. And the food was delicious too (check out their menu online). And a great money saver is that you can supply your own alcohol. And lastly the people have been wonderful to work with. I hope it works out for you; I think you will love it.

• Wedding: 06/04/2013
  • Flexibility: 5.0

My husband and I got married on a spectacular sunny day in May last year. Lake Union was our front yard and the MV Skansonia was our boat to celebrate our 17 year relationship. One of our 8 year old flower girls made our beautiful paper flower decorations to place on the arbor. The staff were responsive and professional, the food was delicious (what I remember of it) and the reception was a blast. A group of friends serenaded a love song to us. One friend said that " the delightful theater of our ceremony made the appearance of us and our officiate and the real circumstances of our lives hit [her] harder and began to cry even earlier than [she] usually does." (Sarah Galvin) A dream came true May 5, 2013.
Gary

• Wedding: 05/05/2013
  • Flexibility: 5.0

I cannot explain how amazing the Skansonia was with my every need. Almost everyday, I had a question or concern and Shauna (manager?) would answer them within the day. The food is AMAZING. It's been over 2 weeks since we got married, and my friends are still raving about the food!! The only negative would be the size, which was not a problem for us, but I think any more than 100 people would be too tight. All in all, I LOVE THIS VENUE!!!

• Wedding: 1+ year ago
Anonymous
  • Flexibility: 5.0

Without hesitation, the MV Skansonia could not have been better! No glitches, no hang-ups, no oopsies...Nothing! Just a great time all around in an unique venue with fabulous food, tons of charm, and a spectacular view. A true "Seattle" experience! It was everything I could have possibly wanted. The coordinators, Shauna and Ellie, were both amazing - friendly, professional, with solid opinions based on tons of wedding experience, remained calm which in turn kept me calm. Our wedding was 4 weeks ago and my coworkers are STILL talking about it every single day, and I'm sure they think we broke the bank paying for it, but we didn't! Of note, the Skansonia allows you to bring your own alcohol on board (with a permit), instead of paying the $32 for a $8 bottle of wine that every other venue I researched charges. This will literally save you THOUSANDS. As far as food goes, Lake Union Cafe caters the Skansonia and you attend a tasting so you can choose what you serve at your wedding based on actually trying it beforehand! They have MANY choices (Beef, Chicken, Seafood, Vegetarian) and you can pick as little or as much as you want - i.e. reception vs. dinner style, paper vs linen, small plates vs dinner plates. I've heard time and time again that the food at my wedding was the best "wedding food" that my guests have ever had. The spread they provided for us was unbeatable. Lots of extras, including grilled veggies, cheese plates, bread/crackers, and our choices of chicken piccata, hibachi steak, chop chop salad, caesar salad, penne pasta with champagne cream sauce with fried leeks... We also used their flower person who did an unbelievable job sculpting mango calla lillies into a breathtaking bouquet and table arrangements. I just could not be happier with choosing the Skansonia. The experience was above and beyond my highest expectations. Absolutely flawless. From the bottom of our newlywed hearts - Thank you, Skansonia and Crew. You equal perfection!

• Wedding: 09/30/2012
  • Flexibility: 5.0

From the first moment that we set foot on the MV Skansonia, my future husband and I knew that this was the place we needed to get married. It offers a uniquely Seattle experience, full of elegance and charm. The staff is first rate, and provides outstanding service. The venue itself is incredibly gorgeous, and requires little decoration on the bride and groom's part.

The Skansonia provided an amazing experience at a price that was incredibly affordable. Two years later, we are still receiving comments on how much our guests enjoyed our wedding and what a unique and special venue the Skansonia is.

• Wedding: 2+ years ago
Private User
206-545-9109
Please let this vendor know you found them on WeddingWire

My Awards