The Horticulture Center

(4.6 / 5.0)
Flexibility:
(4.8 / 5.0)
  • Flexibility: 5.0

Beautiful location. Excellent level of service. We are so happy this is where we chose to have our wedding. One of biggest reasons we chose the Horticulture Center was that the indoor and outdoor options for the ceremony site were equally amazing. We didn't want to stress out about the weather or have the indoor option be second rate. The other import factor was that they could accommodate our dietary needs. My wife has celiac disease and they were able to create a menu that was 100% gluten free (and amazing!). If you have any dietary restrictions, you will be well taken care of here.

• Wedding: 10/12/2014
4.4/5.0
  • Responsiveness: 4.0
  • Value: 4.0
  • Flexibility: 4.0

Our wedding was beautiful at the Horticulture Center. It was on a very hot and rainy day and they moved the ceremony inside about 15 minutes before it was supposed to start. The air conditioning they added to the reception area worked very well. No complaints of how hot it was or anything! They worked with us to create our vision for our night. The Horticulture Center with Steven Starr Catering is definitely an expensive venue but we got what we paid for. Our guests had a spectacular night and no detail was left to chance. Leila and Ashley were great to work with and answered my questions promptly. I definitely recommend this venue to someone who wants a wedding with an outdoor feel but doesn't want to worry about weather. It was perfect for us and we are so glad we ended up at the Horticulture Center.

• Wedding: 08/31/2014
  • Flexibility: 5.0

We recently got married at the Horticulture Center and are still over the moon with how beautiful and incredible this venue is. We had the ceremony outside and the cocktail hour/reception inside - both stunning. The statues and flora both inside and outside the venue are gorgeous. Starr Catering is exclusive at the venue, so of course the food was delicious. We worked with Leila, Ashley and Gail at Starr - and they made things very easy and user-friendly. The entire team at the Horticulture Center is also lovely to work with (especially Julian, who was a friendly face every time we came by!). Amazingly enough, the air conditioning worked incredibly well in the summer (trust it!) and the acoustics were awesome for our band (both things we were initially concerned about, but absolutely without warrant). Highly recommend having your event here!

• Wedding: 08/09/2014
4.5/5.0
  • Value: 3.5
  • Flexibility: 4.0

I'm biased but this is THE MOST gorgeous venue in Philadelphia. It's so unique and lush and it looks amazing once the sun goes down with all the fairy lights and candles. The service leading up to the wedding and on day of was impeccable. Sometimes it feels like they are nickel and dime-ing a bit with all the extra charges on top of catering charges and venue fees (steep!) but there's really nowhere like it so you just deal with it. Our wedding was the best!

• Wedding: 05/23/2014
  • Flexibility: 5.0

This venue and catering combination was outstanding! The greenhouse itself is charming and unique and lends itself so well to a beautiful event! Our guests were amazed at how beautiful the venue was and none had ever been to a winter wedding where you could see the stars!

If the venue itself wasn't enough, the staff and catering were out of this world! Stephen Starr catering blew us away with their quality and service. The food was INCREDIBLE! If you've ever been to a wedding and ate rubbery chicken or an over done steak, you understand how important the food is to the event! The staff also ensured that we got to eat at our own wedding! The service at the event was also flawless! Every guest was taken care of, and everything ran according to plan. The day of our wedding was the most stress free event I could have imagined!

Planning an event with Stephen Starr events was effortless! From the first email to the last detail I felt taken care of and supported. When we first started planning, the task felt enormous... but with Starr Events the whole thing was easy. They were up front with services and prices, and were willing to work with us with menu choices and services. I could not have asked or imagined anything more for our wedding day!

• Wedding: 01/18/2014
Services Used: Ceremony & Reception Venue, Wedding Planning
4.8/5.0
  • Quality of Service: 4.0
  • Flexibility: 5.0

I had my wedding ceremony at the Horticulture Center and I cannot say enough how happy I am that I selected it as my ceremony venue. We had the ceremony inside at the Display Garden. I am so glad I did that since mine was a fall wedding. It would have been too cold for the girls to be outside in their dresses plus it was too sunny so we would all have been squinting in our photos. We did photos with bridal party before the ceremony outside the Horticulture Center as well as inside in the Display Garden, and did photos with family after the ceremony outside the Horticulture Center. All photos, whether they were inside the Display Garden or outside, came out AMAZING!! So I highly recommend this venue. Your photos will come out amazing and your guests will love taking photos there as well. Ashley Gay was very helpful from the beginning in quickly drawing up contracts quickly and being constantly available to answer any questions I had before signing any paperwork. Before the wedding, Ashley was again for helpful with answering any questions that my husband and I had in preparing for the big day. My only complaint is that in the area behind the brick columns but before the exit door there was a fountain that had been left on and was so loud that no one at the ceremony could hear anything, which was a little disappointing since our reverend worked very hard to create a beautiful ceremony for us and we exchanged our own vows, which our family and friends did not get to hear. My father-in-law was sitting front row and he told us he couldn't hear over the loud fountain. However, I still recommend the Horticulture Center as a beautiful venue for a wedding ceremony!

• Wedding: 10/13/2013
  • Flexibility: 5.0

We had our wedding at the Horticulture Center and it was absolutely amazing. The Horticulture Center was actually the only venue we looked at because it was exactly what we wanted and we booked it immediately. We knew it would be beautiful because the space is so incredible and unique, and once everything came together for the wedding night we were blown away. Ashley and Leila were wonderful to work with, incredible flexible, responsive, and helpful. The setting for our ceremony, in front of the reflecting pools, was picturesque, and the display garden and succulent room were unique and the perfect mix or formal and rustic. We received so many compliments about how it was the prettiest venue and such an amazing space, as well as incredible food (and with Starr catering I'd expect nothing less) and we agree! Thank you for making our wedding so magical!

• Wedding: 10/05/2013
Profile Picture
Alison
  • Flexibility: 5.0

The Horticulture Center is a gem in Philly. I had never heard of it until we started to look at wedding venues. It is so unique. We had an amazing time there--we got married outside, in front of the reflecting pool and it was just breathtaking. Inside the greenhouse is a magical place with lights and flowers--you really feel like you are transported to a fairy land. I did our flowers myself and put candles on all the tables, and it was beautiful. We had a dancefloor and a band and 230 people, so it fits a lot. The planners that are part of STARR events (we worked with Leila Miller and Ashley Gay) are so professional and organized, they made planning a breeze. Finally, since it's STARR catering the food was delicious. We got so many complements saying it was the best food people have had a wedding--which I think is awesome to hear (and i do agree!). I was so happy with our whole experience here. The staff was so organized too! Both the servers and bar tenders were timely and very professional--I was very impressed.

• Wedding: 05/04/2013
4.8/5.0
  • Value: 4.0
  • Flexibility: 5.0

The representatives we worked with from the Horticulture Center were absolutely wonderful and SO accomodating and flexible. They allowed us to drop off ALL of our decor (many many boxes) 3 days before the wedding and were able to securely store it for us. They let us set up a LOT of string lights with zip ties days before the wedding, and even took care of coordinating with the bride with a wedding the night before ours, and she was able to use them too! They were absolutely professional, courteous, and helpful to our guests, and were very attentive to us throughout the night. Also - you can't beat BYOB for a wedding venue! The only reason I'm giving them a 4 for value is that while our contract with the Horticulture Center designated the space as ours for 5 hours, the only caterer they work with begins with a catering package for only 4 hours, but we didn't find out that the package we had booked was 1 hour short until 2 weeks before the wedding! I think in the future, it would be a nice courtesy to couples for the center to let them know that their caterer's package does NOT include the same number of hours, and that it will be an extra $12 per person per hour extra.

• Wedding: 10/13/2012
267-886-1472
Please let this vendor know you found them on WeddingWire