The Bar Fly ES&P

The Bar Fly ES&P

"Where there is always a party going on"

4408 Spicewood Springs Road
Austin, TX 78759 | map
Rentals: Altar / Arch Arrangements, Barware, China, Flatware,...
Services: Breakdown, Delivery, Setup

• Responsiveness: 2.0
  • Professionalism: 1.0
  • Value: 1.0
  • Flexibility: 2.0

Our experience with The Bar Fly started off great. I communicated with Tamalia (owner) via email and she was very responsive and informative. We hired The Bar Fly for bartending and serving/clean-up. I supplied her with all the information needed for the staff. She was given a food menu, timeline, and cocktail menu (a very descriptive cocktail menu).

The execution was a different story. We had three appetizers, only one went out during the cocktail hour and the other two were placed on the buffet line. There were several times when I looked at the buffet line and the serving dishes were empty. I was surprised when I returned to the venue the next day and found a large amount of food leftover. I had to throw away this food due to the location of the event and the inability to transport food.

Bartending was a mess. We had two signature cocktails that were served during the cocktail hour. The cocktails were chosen based on their simplicity and their ease. The recipes supplied to Tamalia were not followed whatsoever. The increments were waaaaaay off. We ended up with tons of alcohol. I had specific glasses that were to be used and when I noticed that they were using the incorrect glasses they began using champagne flutes, water glasses, wine glasses, etc. leaving my guests without glasses for water and iced tea. Later I find that the cocktail glasses were being used for coffee rather than the coffee mugs.

The topper of the evening was when the staff cut in front of my guests to be served pie. They stated that they wanted a slice before they leave. I was astonished that they thought it was ok for them to be served before my guests.

I emailed Tamalia with our concerns regarding the service. I was surprised, or shouldn't be surprised at all, that I never received a response. I was expecting more out of a staffing company that markets themselves towards events such as weddings. I don't recommend this company for anything more complex than a birthday party.

• Wedding: 05/17/2014
2.0/5.0
  • Quality of Service: 2.0
  • Responsiveness: 4.0
  • Professionalism: 1.0
  • Value: 1.0
  • Flexibility: 2.0

We had high hopes, based on our meetings with Tamalia as she was professional, courteous and accommodating. But the execution was very poor. The Barfly was our worst performing vendor at our event. We asked that drinks be available to the guest prior to the service. This didn't happen for multiple reasons. 1. They were late setting up. 2. They didn't communicate or remember this request, so the guests were flat out denied their request for a drink prior. 3. The second bartender was unable to make the most basic drinks.

Very dissapointing. And probably the only complaint I heard from our guests. Repeatedly.

The Bar Fly ES&P responded with the following comments:

We are very shocked and sad about this review, since we (I Tamalia) where given such high praises through out the whole evening from the bride, groom and guest. Our arrival time 1hr 1/2 before contracted time and we stayed and help the family clean up past our contracted time. I have gone through all correspondence and there is nothing stating a early cocktail hour. All our bartenders are licensed and have many years of experience.

• Wedding: 12/23/2010
Services Used: Event Rentals & Photobooths
4.8/5.0
  • Responsiveness: 4.0
  • Flexibility: 5.0

I would highly recommend The Bar Fly. We had some trouble getting our initial inquiries answered, but the night of the wedding they were flawless. The person I spoke to on the phone to set it all up was very helpful. The wait staff were inobtrusive and efficient and the bartenders were courteous and professional. The Bar Fly was an important part of making the wedding go smoothly.

• Wedding: 05/29/2010
  • Flexibility: 5.0

The event staff we hired to help with our wedding was A-MAZING! I still was raving to my husband, after our honeymoon, about them - and was so thankful we used the services to help with our reception. Everyone - from the servers to the bartender - made sure we were taken care of. I don't know how he did it, but the bartender managed to keep my wine glass full all night - and the rest of the wedding guests equally satiated, whether they needed wine, beer, champagne or soda. The rest of the group was equally gracious - clearing up and helping with set up, without needing to even ask. The manager (I'm so sorry - I forgot all their names - it's the wine!) was incredibly sweet, and when we didn't know what to do (admittedly, cutting the cake) - she swooped in and took care of everything. I would use them for any event in a heartbeat, recommend them with no question - and am actually glad this opportunity came up, as I included them on my list of "thank you's" to send. Thank you for helping make our wedding a truly memorable occassion for us all!

• Wedding: 05/27/2010
  • Flexibility: 5.0

The Bar Fly was absolutely wonderful!!! We retained DJ, bartending, & security services and couldn't have been more pleased with the entire staff.
Tamalia Jones provided our wedding-day-of coordinating for an amazing price! We couldn't have had such a successful day without her. We highly recommend TBF to anyone for their next big event.

John & Heidi Momberger

• Wedding: 03/28/2010
Services Used: DJ, Unique Services (Other)
  • Flexibility: 5.0

The Bar Fly was a dream to work with! Their bartenders were friendly and personable and did a great job. And I must have flaked on the security because when Tamalia called to confirm, she didn't have us contracted for a security guard (which was required by our venue). This was the Monday before the wedding (and the Monday before Thanksgiving) at about 8 pm. I was in a total panic! But low and behold when I checked my email Tuesday morning, she had a security guard for me and everything was ready to go! Whew! She really saved us! If you need a bartender (which I highly recommend... especially so people don't open 300 bottles of wine and leave them 1/2-empty on the tables) or a security guard, The Bar Fly is the vendor for you!

• Wedding: 11/28/2009
  • Flexibility: 5.0

The Barfly provided amazing service the day of my wedding. I had a small outdoor wedding and used their services for tending bar and help serving the food. The 2 women that showed up were helpful and attentive and I could not have asked for better service. Tamalia was very helpful in arranging for these services. Would definitely recommend and use them again.

• Wedding: 06/06/2009
Services Used: Catering
3.5/5.0
  • Quality of Service: 2.5
  • Responsiveness: 3.5
  • Professionalism: 3.5
  • Value: 4.5
  • Flexibility: 3.5

Everything started out really well with BarFly. I got great recommendations from friends and others, the response was on point, the price was great, they were flexible and offered rentals and were easy to work with. Leading up to the big day, it became a little harder to coordinate specifics and then day of they were no there on time, which lead to certain things not being fulfilled and hearing poor feedback. They didn't seem to staff adequately and there weren't enough glasses even though they knew ahead of time the head count. We did voice our concerns after the day and received an apology and follow up apology letter with a refund for the late servers. Overall, I would say use them but be aware and on top of them the days leading up to your wedding to make sure they are staffed and supplying what you need. Price was good and servers were friendly.

The Bar Fly ES&P responded with the following comments:

Client did voice two concerns. One that server arrived 15 minute late and that a recycle tub was delivered but not used as requested. We explained to client that server had volunteered to meet delivery truck to pick up their rentals, due to another client not being at another venue at scheduled time and we did not want their rentals to arrive after ceremony began. Staff was tipped very well and told they did excellent job. We refunded client for the 15 mintues server was late and for the recycle tub.

• Wedding: 05/09/2009
Services Used: Catering, Event Rentals & Photobooths
512-236-5273
ext. 101
Please let this vendor know you found them on WeddingWire