Sugar Bowl Resort
Your Special Day Deserves an Extraordinary Setting.
P.O. Box 5

Flexibility:
 (4.9/5.0)

Sort By:

• Flexibility:  5.0
We had our wedding at Sugar Bowl this past October and it was the best place we could have chosen. I cannot recommend this place enough. It was the first venue we saw and we booked it that day, knowing it would be perfect for us. The planning process was so easy and smooth; Meghon and Pat took care of whatever we needed, but we were able to plan and coordinate the things we wanted to. They are extremely flexible with what they will do and provide really good recommendations on timing, set up, and logistics. We showed up the day before the wedding, dropped off everything we brought and had a half hour meeting to go over set up etc. and after that we didn't have to worry about a thing. The best part was that neither we nor our guests had to lift a finger, and the whole weekend was executed perfectly and our stuff was packed back into boxes by Sunday morning ready for us to take home.

They really went above and beyond our expectations and all the little things I'd forgotten (our cake needs decoration? It's cold and we need heat lamps?) they took care of. I could go on and on about everything they did that made it perfect. A lot of our guests stayed Friday and Saturday night, and the ability to have everyone there with no stress made it perfect. I've heard and seen so many stories of brides frazzled on their wedding day trying to get everything set up right or deal with emergencies that come up. I was honestly so relaxed because I knew that even if something did go wrong it would be handled. Additionally, the place is beautiful. If you like the mountains you won't find a better venue. Now we are just hoping one of our friends gets married there so we can attend a wedding at Sugar Bowl!
Wedding: 10/12/2013
Services Used: Catering, Flowers, Lighting & Decor, Ceremony & Reception Venue

Landen 4 Reviews
Sugar Bowl made our prep hassle-free and our wedding day smooth and easy. Meghon and Pat were excellent coordinators on site and their team was there to answer any questions and help make our guests feel comfortable.

Flowers - Meghon & Pat happen to be florists, so that was easy.
Catering - they have excellent chefs and menus on site, so no need to outsource. The tasting was a wonderful experience in the snow!
Photographer - they have a list of recommended vendors and we loved Chris Cooke!
Cake - we ordered apple pie from a local bakery and Meghon took care of the whole process, from the tasting to the cutting
Decorations - we went with a rustic, woodsy theme and Sugar Bowl helped out significantly by providing baskets, wooden rounds for the tables, mason jars for flowers, an archway, and shepherd's hooks for the ceremony aisles. We described our style and they created it for us - so easy! We even intended to write out table seating with chalk and Sugar Bowl staff, Riza, took care of us for us with her beautiful handwriting.
Location - up in the mountains; it's definitely a destination for most, but at only 45 minutes from the Reno Airport and about 3.5 hours for our Bay Area friends and family, we decided that a "convenient getaway" fit the bill. Keep in mind, the 20-minute drive down to Truckee is a windy mountain road, so stay away after drinking or late at night.
Lodge - the rooms are quaint and clean and fit a wide range of numbers, so we could house our relatives and groups of friends easily on site. We only wish they had more rooms to fit all of our 117 guests. Luckily, it's just a short drive down to Truckee where hotels and restaurants are located.
Fun perk - we booked the Disney ski lift for our cocktail hour, which was a huge hit - even my grandparents went up the lift!

Our friends and family are still raving about the scenery, the location, the Disney lift, the food, and the service. We really could not be happier with our choice!
Wedding: 10/05/2013
  • Flexibility:  5.0
The BEST wedding venue!! The Sugar Bowl staff made our day perfect and stress free. Sugar Bowl went out of their way to accommodate all of the wedding needs for me and my guests. I cannot say enough great things about everyone there. Honest truth - our guests are still talking about how much fun our wedding was. I owe a huge thanks to everyone at Sugar Bowl for making that happen.
Wedding: 09/28/2013

Nadia 1 Reviews
We got married at Sugar Bowl Ski Resort on 10/6/12. We loved the rustic, historic feel. We immediately clicked with Meghon, the wedding event coordinator. She is genuine, friendly & put us right at ease. She & her staff were flexible & allowed creativity. They accommodated special requests regarding my culture’s unique traditions-my family was so honored and impressed. The staff also set up all of my handmade decorations in such a way that was more beautiful than I could have imagined & returned everything to me in perfect condition! I didn't have to worry or bother any family or friends with these details. Meghon also did all the flowers-I had no idea what I wanted & she still produced incredible work that was exactly what I wanted! I highly recommend her for the flower services. Dinner was fantastic! Our friend, who is a professional chef at a gourmet restaurant, said it was the best food he ever had at a wedding! We also used the basement of the ski lodge as a kids room, with a kid friendly buffet, coloring, games and movies. All the parents raved about this! After all the kiddos went to bed, the staff quickly transformed the room into the after-party room & the festivities continued into the night! Mike with the lodging & accommodations staff was also extremely helpful throughout the whole process, making sure that all our guests staying on-site were taken care of. Finally, another highlight was the Sunday Brunch-It was so nice to say goodbye to everyone & not have to worry about pulling quiches out of the oven or doing dishes. We just relaxed & enjoyed everyone’s company for as long as we could. Everyone said that our wedding couldn't have been at a more beautiful location or be more relaxed. Meghon really went above & beyond to make our day stress-free & more perfect than we could have imagined! All this was affordable, with no sacrifice of elegance, quality, or service. We are so happy to have had such an amazing weekend, all thanks to Meghon & her staff.
Wedding: 10/06/2012
Services Used: Flowers, Ceremony & Reception Venue

Amy 1 Reviews
Sugar bowl did amazing job with everything! We couldn't have been more pleased with how everything went which is largely due to the wonderful staff.
Wedding: 09/15/2012

ROB AND KERRY 1 Reviews
OUR DAUHTERS WEDDING AT SUGAR BOWL COULD NOT OF BEEN MORE PERFECT! EVERY LITTLE DETAIL WAS THERE AND MORE. WE LOOK BACK ON OUR PHOTOS AND WE STILL CANNOT BELIEVE HOW BEAUTIFUL EVERYTHING WAS FOR US. MEGHON SHREWSBURY IS THE MOST AMAZING AND TALENTED PERSON EVER. SHE WAS SUCH A DELIGHT TO WORK WITH AND ALWAYS HAD THE RIGHT IDEAS WHEN WE WERE UNSURE OF THINGS. IT WAS THE MOST SPECIAL DAY EVER! OUR FRIENDS AND FAMILY HAVE ALL TOLD US THAT IT WAS ONE OF THE MOST BEAUTIFUL AND FUN WEDDINGS THAT THEY HAD ATTENDED. WE AGREE!!!
Wedding: 09/01/2012
Services Used: Wedding Cake, Catering, Flowers, Wedding Planning, Lighting & Decor, Event Rentals & Photobooths, Party Supplies, Ceremony & Reception Venue, Unique Services (Other)

Jessica 1 Reviews
My goodness our wedding was the most BEAUTIFUL wedding I have ever seen!!! The wedding coordinator was AMAZING as well as the entire Sugar Bowl staff. From start to finish, everything was perfect and exceeded our expectations in every possible way. The venue is ideal, as we had everything to ourselves-no outsiders to be seen!!! The food was incredible and the chef also went above and beyond-we couldn't have had a more perfect and memorable day!!! I would absolutely recommend this venue to anyone and everyone.
Wedding: 09/01/2012
  • Flexibility:  5.0
On my 40th Birthday in 2011 my husband took me to a Lake Mary Dinner. Our parents had raved about the dinner and the location so we thought it would be a wonderful little celebration place. We fell in love with it right away and decided right then that we would have to look into having our wedding there. I contacted Meghon at Sugar Bowl the next week and booked Lake Mary for our wedding on August 11th 2012 and the Lodge for the entire weekend. Meghon was a wonder. I had worked in catering in NYC for many years and so was coming into the process with many expectations. Meghon met all of those expectations. She organized absolutely everything and did my flowers to boot which were stunning. I wanted a low key, small wedding that was rustic yet sophisticated and it was exactly what I imagined. Not only was it beautiful but food was incredible. Guests raved! They said that it was the best wedding food they had ever had. The location is amazing, having your guests stay at the Lodge and share Tahoe for the weekend was the best, the food was to die for and I whole heartedly recommend it. It was the perfect event for us and we could not have asked for more.
Wedding: 08/11/2012
Services Used: Flowers, Wedding Planning, Ceremony & Reception Venue
Wedding Date: Saturday, July 28, 2012

Venue Fee (includes wedding coordinator Meghon and several other ceremony/reception fixin's): $3000

Extra Cocktail Hour atop Mount Disney Lift (highly recommended, even the guests "afraid of heights" LOVED the experience): $2000-3000 (not including food/alcohol), only bottled beer and wine (no keg) available

Ceremony/Reception outside !!! (with indoor contingency plan if necessary)

From the first time meeting Meghon nine months before our wedding, to hugging her goodbye at the end of our wedding weekend extravaganza, my new husband (!) and I felt Meghon was professional, kind, thoughtful, gracious, and endlessly helpful.

Neither my husband nor myself are particularly detail-oriented or knowledgeable about the ins and outs of wedding planning. Meghon took complete care of the cake and flower details by coordinating with vendors in Truckee. We simply researched the general information we wanted: i.e. type of flowers, cake design. With her extensive experience (she coordinates 16 weddings per summer! for the last several years!) she will always give you appropriate advice and recommendations to your questions and to fill in the gaps of your knowledge (i.e. who gets a corsage? how much cake is needed for your wedding guests? etc.)

Additionally, we had a mishap with our ceremony officiant just two weeks before the wedding! We mentioned this to Meghon and she immediately recommended a nearby and affordable officiant to save the day. Meghon had the perfect sense for us as a couple...our new officiant (Viviane) matched our personalities perfectly and the ceremony was beautiful!

Meghon consistently worked to get us the best deals, and even went so far as to organize a golf outing for my husband's Tahoe bachelor party. She is honest and straight-forward about any and all wedding expenditures, no hidden fees or unexpected surprises (and if you're confused about a price/expense, just ask and she will explain thoroughly!).

The complementary (after submitting venue deposit) wine and food tasting at Sugar Bowl proper is a luxurious and delicious experience (to be shared with a handful of close friends and/or family...4 additional guests) that enables a couple to get a true sense for what their guests will experience during cocktail hour appetizers and the reception. The chef is amazing!

During the week leading up to the wedding, we were quite anxious (understandably as we didn't know what to expect!) about everything from ceremony music to centerpiece set-up. In just 30 minutes of meeting in person with Meghon, all our anxiety was put to rest, she knows exactly how to handle all situations! The ceremony/cocktail hour/reception/bonfire after party went off without a hitch...I was unaware of even one scheduling, food, alcohol, etc. "issue"...Meghon and her team handled every detail calmly, kindly, perfectly.

If it weren't such a generally exhausting process, Dan and I would get married again and again at Sugar Bowl!

We love you Sugar Bowl!

Love,
Dan and Rachel
Wedding: 07/28/2012

NL 1 Reviews
Wedding: 07/21/2012
Services Used: Beauty & Health, Catering, Flowers, Wedding Planning, Lighting & Decor, Party Supplies, Transportation, Ceremony & Reception Venue

Anonymous 1 Reviews
Wedding: 1+ year ago

Anonymous 1 Reviews
Sugar Bowl resort was so helpful in assisting me and my mother in planning, touring, and answering requests promptly for my wedding this summer. We only had 2 months to pull everything together and I don't know ho we would have done it if it weren't for Meghon and Lisa, both are awesome individuals and so wonderful! Thank you again for making my husband and I's day the perfect way to start our marriage AND my parents 33rd wedding anniversary fantastic!
Wedding: 1+ year ago

NL 1 Reviews
Wedding: 07/21/2012
Long Story Short -
Everything about Sugar Bowl is amazing! Have your wedding here!

Long Story Longer -
Everything about our wedding experience at Sugar Bowl was perfect for us! Our wedding was "destination" for the majority of our guests and for us as well. We were worried about planning from afar and how everything would tie together for the big day, but Meghon (wedding coordinator), Lisa (hotel manager) and the rest of the Sugar Bowl staff made the planning process and our actual wedding such an amazing experience. Meghon is extremely helpful, hands-on, experienced, professional, and is full of great ideas and input along the way. Lisa and the hotel staff were so easy to work with in terms of coordinating the 27 rooms and reservations for our guests and they were great about providing updates along the way. Even when they aren’t open full time, I felt that they coordinated well with one another and worked together to be there when I had questions or needed information. We also loved the complementary wine/food tasting that you get to do once you've booked your wedding date at Sugar Bowl. We were able to include my parents and even rode to the lodge in a snow cat due to the weather. The whole "adventure" was a really great way to kick off our experience with Sugar Bowl. Not to mention, the food is amazing and they feed you until you are full to the brim!

I guess you can say we did the "whole shebang" in terms of what is available when you book at Sugar Bowl. We arrived the Wednesday before our wedding and hosted an outdoor movie on the lawn. The front desk staff was really helpful and filled up buckets of ice for us and even let us borrow their cute little popcorn maker. They also kept the camp fire going for us late into the night so our guests arriving late could enjoy it. From the first day, our guests commented on how great it was to have such a beautiful venue to ourselves and how nice the staff was.

We hosted a rehearsal dinner/welcome BBQ at Lake Mary on Friday night. The setting was absolutely gorgeous, the food was delicious, the bartender was super friendly, table settings looked great - everything was wonderful! Meghon even went above and beyond by putting little vase centerpieces out for me at the last minute. I was supposed to provide potted flowers, but completely forgot and she just told me not to worry about it and it would be taken care of and would look great, which it did! I highly recommend taking advantage of Lake Mary if you can, whether it is for a rehearsal dinner, or using the “water toys” during the day, or for your ceremony. It is such a beautiful location and made our rehearsal dinner a special experience for us and our guests.

On the day of our wedding, Meghon coordinated all the vendors and helped to round up family & wedding party for pictures and kept the whole event on track and organized. If there were any issues, we never knew about them. Meghan and the rest of the staff were helpful and relaxed the whole time.

Meghon also did our flowers and they were absolutely amazing! We went with a "rustic wildflower" theme and she created exactly what I had envisioned. She is so creative and talented! If she's available to do your event flowers, I would highly recommended going with her.

One of the big draws of Sugar Bowl was the ability to use the ski lift. We had our cocktail hour at the top of the mountain immediately following the ceremony. Our guests (most of them at least) loved riding up the lift and lucky for us, we had perfect weather so the views from the top were amazing. We decided to offer a white sangria as our signature cocktail. They made it in house and it was really good! My only complaint is that we weren't informed that there aren't any restroom facilities at the top of the mountain, so a lot of guests went down early because they had to use the restroom.
Regarding our reception, our wedding food was DELICIOUS and the staff was really attentive…for example, we put out a few pizza’s at the end of the night for a “late night snack” and as soon as I turned around on the dance floor to go inside and grab a slice, one of the staff was standing there with two pieces for my groom and I. : )

A few other noteworthy comments…every morning the deck and grounds were spotless, even first thing Sunday morning. The staff seems to work really hard and you can tell the property is well kept.
I also wanted to do a candy bar, but was having a hard time shipping all the glass jars, etc. When I asked Meghon for help, she said to bring the candy and she would handle the rest (and she was excited about it!). Our Candy Bar turned out beautiful, all thanks to Meghon. She incorporated rustic wood log rounds, moss, flowers and set up all the candy, jars, etc. It was one of my favorite parts of the decor and she tied it all in with our theme perfectly.

All in all, we are so grateful that we had our wedding at Sugar Bowl and couldn't be happier with the experience. They made our event seamless and stress-free from start to finish. I highly recommend Sugar Bowl if you are looking for a beautiful venue, great food, amazing staff, and good value.

Thank you Sugar Bowl!

Lisa & Jeremy
Wedding: 07/14/2012
Services Used: Flowers, Transportation, Ceremony & Reception Venue
  • Flexibility:  5.0
Short version: Sugar Bowl is awesome and a great place to have a wedding!

Long version:
We recently had a small wedding (70 guests) at the Village Lodge at Sugar Bowl, and it was a blast! Many people told us it was the best wedding they've been too! Much of the credit goes to the great people at Sugar Bowl, especially the wedding coordinator Meghon, who went to great lengths to take care of us and was delightful to work with.

The lodge is secluded and private (a bit like an upscale summer camp). I really loved that the ceremony, reception, and lodging were all in the same place. It was so nice to be able to walk up two flights of stairs and be in my room. The whole place has a magical atmosphere - the historic lodge, the huge deck, the beautiful party lights, the mountains, and the babbling creek. We took photos at the Rainbow Bridge overlook, which has amazing views of Donner Lake.

We really liked that Sugar Bowl took care of many of our wedding needs and saved us from having to find additional vendors. We rented the whole lodge for the wedding weekend and filled it exclusively with our guests. It is difficult to describe how amazing it is to see someone down the hotel hallway and automatically know them. We were able to personalize everything! Meghon took all our instructions and ideas and made them look way better than we had imagined. She has a good eye and loves flowers! As for dinner, the food was great and the servers were all very good. And we loved the bar. By the end of the weekend, I think everyone was friends with the bartender. =)

The weather was beautiful in early July. It was plenty warm (even hot!) and dancing under the stars was amazing! We hosted bagged lunches for everyone, so no one needed to leave during the day. Instead they got to enjoy the mountains by hiking, biking or boating (Sugar Bowl provided loaner mountain bikes and water toys!). We also had a campfire both nights with s'mores. Because our ceremony and reception were held outdoors, we did have to deal with a few mosquitoes, but fortunately Sugar Bowl provided a basket of mosquito repellant and sunscreen for the guests to use and has some fancy propane traps.

We felt Sugar Bowl was a great value. For the price of a very modest wedding in Los Angeles, we got to feel pampered at Sugar Bowl. We have no regrets at all that we got married at Sugar Bowl, even though most of our guests had to travel more than 100 miles.

p.s. We hosted a welcome BBQ (instead of a rehearsal dinner) for all our guests at Sugar Bowl on the Friday before the wedding. The Sugar Bowl burgers were great! The potato salad also got rave reviews from the guests.
Wedding: 07/07/2012
Services Used: Catering, Wedding Planning, Ceremony & Reception Venue
  • Flexibility:  5.0
5 stars all the way! We had a beautiful wedding that people are still talking about. The service we received from the entire staff was top notch. Food and drinks were fabulous. I really recommend the Disney lift after the ceremony for cocktail hour. It was a great experience for the guests and made for beautiful pictures as well. I highly recommend Sugar Bowl Resort for your wedding.
Wedding: 08/27/2011
 530-426-6769
Please let this vendor know
you found them on WeddingWire