St Mark's Chapel at Mordecai Historic Park

(4.5 / 5.0)
4.4/5.0
  • Responsiveness: 3.5
  • Flexibility: 3.5

We had our wedding ceremony at St. Mark's Chapel. The historical chapel was a perfect setting for our family only ceremony! Lots of beautiful light, and no need to add much decor to this location!

• Wedding: 08/09/2014
4.9/5.0
  • Responsiveness: 4.5
  • Flexibility: 5.0

Our ceremony was at St. Mark's chapel - it was beautiful, and a great value. The green building for brides to get ready in was very cute on the inside, it's like an old post office (so it's a great photo op for your photographer). My only complaint was that when I arrived at the venue to get ready, the green building and chapel weren't open yet - they were confused and thought our time started at 2, but the contract started at 1. It was no big deal, the gentleman in the giftshop took care of it quickly and opened everything up for us. Would definitely recommend if you're having a small wedding and have an appreciation for history!

• Wedding: 09/22/2012
  • Flexibility: 5.0

We had a small ceremony, so St. Mark's Chapel at Mordecai Historic Park was perfect! It's a historic site, so must be treated care, but the location in downtown Raleigh is desirable, the grounds are beautiful, and the history staff is very accommodating. And, if you want to get married in Raleigh in anything that looks like a chapel, you will not find a more budget-friendly location!

• Wedding: 04/07/2012
4.0/5.0
  • Quality of Service: 4.0
  • Responsiveness: 4.0
  • Professionalism: 4.0
  • Value: 4.0
  • Flexibility: 4.0

St Mark's Chapel is a very small chapel in the Mordecai Historic Park. If you are expecting more than 60 guests, this is not the place for you. Booking the chapel can be difficult. Certain times of the year, the only way to book the chapel is through a lottery system. They typically only book one wedding per day. Unfortunately, I emailed them to book and someone walked in and booked. We got lucky. the manager allowed us to have the wedding the same day. Ours was in the afternoon and the other wedding was in the evening. Just be aware, that since it is a historic chapel, they do not have services there and there is no wedding coordinator. They don't have a music coordinator, so you will be responsible for providing your own music.

• Wedding: 10/09/2011
Services Used: Ceremony & Reception Venue, Flowers
Profile Picture
Christine
  • Flexibility: 5.0

The St. Mark's Chapel is the perfect place to have your wedding if you are looking for a gorgeous place to have as simple and small wedding. We had our ceremony at the St. Mark's chapel with around 55 guests. All the guests fit comfortably inside the chapel even though it looks a little small. The chapel did not need many decorations since it is already so pretty. The price is really great too, and we rented out the chapel and the grounds for 4 hours. After the ceremony we were able to take pictures anywhere on the grounds, and it made for gorgeous backdrops. Also included in the price was a 1 hour rehearsal the night before in the Chapel which really came in handy.

• Wedding: 2+ years ago
Profile Picture
Private User
  • Flexibility: 5.0

The chapel is amazing. It is so beautiful and has so much history. It is just very small but it was perfect for my ceremony.

• Wedding: 10/09/2010
  • Flexibility: 5.0

Gorgeous, historic, perfect for small ceremonies (under 50 guests), excellent for photography, very well priced! Creates an extremely intimate atmosphere. This was absolutely perfect for us. A dream wedding.

• Wedding: 10/02/2009
4.6/5.0
  • Flexibility: 3.0

Mordecai is part of the City of Raleigh Parks and Recreation. Therefore, it is very cheap to have a wedding there in comparison to other places. The park includes several historic buildings including a ca. 1840s chapel that holds about 50 people - very small but I had a small wedding and this was perfect!
Perhaps the only drawbacks to having a wedding here are the space restrictions inside the chapel and the rules that are in place to protect the buildings - there were certain decorations that were not allowed, etc. inside the chapel. I didn't have my reception here, but Mordecai can provide that service as well. The grounds are pretty enough that this would be a good, economical choice for someone with a limited budget. The Mordecai staff are friendly and I've been told that the chapel is booked almost every weekend for weddings - it's a popular place for obvious reasons.

• Wedding: 05/10/2009

Wedding Date: March 14, 2009
Todd and Lori Jeffreys
Location: St. Mark's Chapel

I am so fortunate to have found St. Mark's Chapel. We knew nothing about Raleigh or this location and we just lucked up on it via the internet. I am just thrilled with the location and how well it fit me, Todd and our family. It is such a special place and gives you a really special feeling to be there. It rained all day on my wedding day....at first, I was worried and then, once I arrived at this Chapel again, a complete calm came over me and it was even more beautiful in the rain than on a sunny day! I just could not have ask for more and the staff there is great! Thank you, St. Mark's Chapel!

• Wedding: 03/14/2009