Soldiers & Sailors Memorial Hall & Museum

(4.9 / 5.0)
Flexibility:
(4.9 / 5.0)
  • Flexibility: 5.0

We absolutely loved having our wedding at Soldiers & Sailors and were very pleased with how everything turned out! Marjorie, Amber, and the rest of the staff were amazing to work with. From the moment we booked the venue up until the day before the wedding they were always so accommodating with every email and phone call. Amber was extremely helpful and really made sure that everything ran smoothly for us. We emailed back and forth a lot towards the end and she was always so nice and willing to go over whatever I needed. We were honored to have our reception in a building with so much history and love how the space looks in our photos. I would definitely recommend Soldiers and Sailors for a wedding reception, the whole experience was great!

• Wedding: 07/06/2013
4.0/5.0
  • Quality of Service: 4.0
  • Responsiveness: 3.0
  • Professionalism: 4.0
  • Flexibility: 4.0

Soldiers & Sailors is by far one of the most beautiful landmarks in Pittsburgh. To be able to have our wedding there was a dream come true. Details: You pay for the rental of the space, you pay them for the bar, and then you have to choose from their list of caterers (there are 4 to choose from) This ended up being okay, because their caterers offer a nice range of budgets to choose from. We went with The Chef and I Catering who were AWESOME (they were the "value" caterer; but you wouldn't have known it by how great they were). You also have to use their preferred vendors for linens, lighting, chairs etc. (the caterer can also provide linens for a much more affordable price) We had to rebook our date and we did find that some things that we had agreed to on our first date "changed" once we rebooked. Bummer, but somewhat expected in the wedding business. My biggest complaint about the venue was the slowness in responses. We understood that they aren't exclusively a wedding venue (museum, concert venue, much more); and due to this, they probably don't work normal business days/hours... however it would take multiple days at a time to get simple answers for things. The caterer ended up being much more helpful in answering a lot of our questions. Some of the issues with changes and responsiveness left a bad taste in our mouth, however when push came to shove... this venue is beyond words in terms of beauty. We wanted a place that was reminiscent of the 20s and 30s; a backdrop that needed simple/elegant decor; a place that felt like you were stepping back in time. This is THE place. It was STUNNING. As one guest put it "I feel like I'm on the Titanic" (a good thing!) The days before the wedding, the SS team stepped up and we turned it out. They also were flexible on a few points and were extremely kind. The day of the wedding was perfection, which is what matters in the end!

• Wedding: 04/12/2013
  • Flexibility: 5.0

The ballroom at Soldiers and Sailors, in Oakland, isn't necessarily one of the first venues people think of when planning a wedding, and that makes it a truly hidden gem. This space is perfect for a wedding reception, and the people who work there are phenomenal. Marjorie is in charge, and she's one of nicest people I've ever encountered. The whole team is so sweet and accommodating. Throughout the whole process they answered as many questions as we could throw at them and helped us determine the best way to coordinate all the pieces of our reception. The room is great because the whole floor is a dance floor, so you can arrange it like you want it. They have equipment for slideshows. If the weather is nice, you can have your cocktail hour outside. I would definitely recommend this space for a wedding reception.

• Wedding: 10/08/2011
  • Flexibility: 5.0

My wife and I loved our wedding at Soldiers and Sailors. It was top notch, the staff was fantastic, and we'd recommend them to anyone looking for a beautiful, well coordinated event.

• Wedding: 08/20/2011
4.5/5.0
  • Quality of Service: 4.5
  • Responsiveness: 4.5
  • Professionalism: 4.5
  • Value: 4.0
  • Flexibility: 5.0

Love Marjorie!!! I loved our venue gorgeous. We had our ceremony and receptions there.

• Wedding: 07/03/2011
  • Flexibility: 5.0

Had our Daughter's Wedding reception here in June. It was perfect! Guests really enjoyed the food, the hall can be set according to your needs, and allows ample space for dancing. We had 200 guests, room between tables to walk. We had much fexibility with planning, Marjorie is great to work with, and shares her experience with you to make planning even smoother. Would highly recommend this venue to any bride who is looking for a unique and comfortable experience for her guests!

• Wedding: 06/25/2011
Services Used: Catering, Ceremony & Reception Venue
  • Flexibility: 5.0

Can anyone give me some insight on which caterers to choose at Soldiers and Sailors? I am deliberating whether to use them for my 2013 wedding.

• Wedding: 04/07/2011
Services Used: Catering, Ceremony & Reception Venue
  • Flexibility: 5.0

Marjorie was great! Everything looked amazing!

• Wedding: 11/16/2010
4.9/5.0
  • Professionalism: 4.5
  • Flexibility: 5.0

The venue is absolutely beautiful and the staff was very flexible in terms of the hours we wanted to be there, how we wanted the room - they did a fantastic job of turning it over from ceremony to reception and we were able to have cocktails outside on the beautiful patio overlooking the museum grounds and the University of Pittsburgh beyond. They took care of everything and I never had to worry about anything. Even though it's in the city, there is a parking garage underneath which was great - and there is a well appointed Holiday Inn less than 2 blocks walk so it was perfect for out of town guests.

• Wedding: 09/24/2005
Services Used: Catering, Ceremony & Reception Venue, Wedding Cake
412-621-4253
Please let this vendor know you found them on WeddingWire