Smith Barn at Brooksby Farm (Peabody Historical Society)

Smith Barn at Brooksby Farm (Peabody Historical Society)

Peabody, MA

Flexibility:
(4.2 / 5.0)
  • Responsiveness: 4.5
  • Flexibility: 4.5

Great place to have a wedding. Tammy was a pleasure to work with. The barn was so picturesque for my November 2013 wedding. We had the ceremony on site as well, which was a nice backdrop. Tammy and her team were very helpful and great with answering all my questions. Everyone mentions that she doesn't have email, but it's a dead zone in that area, so that's why. I am so happy I booked this for my wedding.

• Wedding: 11/02/2013
4.6/5.0
  • Flexibility: 3.5

The bottom line is that all of our guests raved about our venue and we couldn't have imagined the day anywhere else. It is totally picturesque while being very convenient to the Boston area. Tammy was easy to reach when we had questions, and on the big day she made sure everything went off without a hitch in a friendly and pleasant manner. The only downsides are a few restrictions that naturally come with being a historic barn (i.e., no sparklers/open flames) as well as the lack of open bar options (we did open bar, but simply paid the bar tab at the end of the night). However, those are totally worth it to get all of the positive aspects of this amazing venue!

• Wedding: 1+ year ago
Private User
  • Flexibility: 4.5

We had our June 21st wedding at Brooksby Farm in Peabody, Massachusetts. Tammy was our contact and, although she does not use email, she was extremely responsive with phone calls and always called me back same-day. We planned our wedding from out of state and booked Brooksby Farm without seeing it in person. We trusted the opinions of our families and were reassured by Tammy that everything would run smoothly. We also googled the venue and were able to review wedding photos on photographer websites and that gave us a better idea of the space, as the Brooksby Farm website does not have many photos. When we did finally see the venue in person, we fell in love with the setting. We were married behind the Felton house and our reception was held in Smith Barn. While waiting for the ceremony to start, we waited in the Felton House and Tammy was there to help us with last minute details and with any mishaps - she even ran over to get safety pins from our bathroom baskets when I got lipstick on my wedding dress! One thing to keep in mind is that there is no air conditioning in the barn. Our wedding day was a hot day and although there were fans and windows, it did get hot before the sun went down. Luckily, Smith Barn has a few wood tables outside and some of our guests were able to stay out there for dinner. Another thing to keep in mind is the bar does not have a credit card machine. The day before the wedding, we chose to have an open bar, however were unable to have just beer and wine. So, after talking about the options with Tammy, we did remove top shelf and chose to have no shots and no martinis. This kept our cost down but still gave our guests variety! All in all, Brooksby Farm was an amazing venue and we were very happy with our choice!

• Wedding: 06/21/2013
Erika B.
  • Flexibility: 5.0

I got married and had my reception at Smith Barn and it was absolutely stunning. Tammy is so helpful and really works hard to help with everything. It's a magical place. If you're thinking about having a reception here, book now as they are very popular!

• Wedding: 05/31/2013
4.3/5.0
  • Flexibility: 2.5

Brooksby is beautiful, and there are so many amazing photographic hot spots here. Tammy, their function coordinator did a great job and talked me off several cliffs during my planning freak-outs. But that arbor in the ceremony site... There are three arbors in the garden. One of the white ones is in disrepair. It's not falling down, but it's clearly broken, and it doesn't look good. With the rates they charge and number of weddings they hold at Brooksby, that arbor could have been repaired several times over and maintained so that it didn't break again. Also, I understand the rules about no confetti of any kind, with it getting stuck in the old barn floor boards, no open flames, but I also wasn't allowed to have my bridesmaids dress in the bridal room with me. I was told it was extremely tiny, so they should come dressed. That room could have been a perfect size for dressing if they had a privacy sign to hang on the door while the girls change into dresses (not a space for hair or makeup, but for dressing, the size is just fine, unless you have a ridiculously large wedding party). The landscape at Brooksby is perfect, and the barn was absolutely lovely. I love that the white lights are up all the time, they were beautiful. All in all I loved it, but I should have kept the barn doors open during the reception. It was warm enough, but I was too busy to think to ask for it at the time.

• Wedding: 1+ year ago
Private User
4.7/5.0
  • Flexibility: 3.5

Beautiful site. Tammy the coordinator was AMAZING. Everyone can't stop talking about how wonderful our wedding was :-)

• Wedding: 05/23/2013
  • Flexibility: 5.0

We were MORE than pleased with the total venue and especially Tammy's responsiveness to our requests and her readiness to be of service in a timely and professional manner. The venue was beautiful, clean, well maintained and the grounds simply beautiful. Our guests commented on what a fabulous time they had from the food to the lovely setting. Our only regret was the the weather was a bit warmer than we would have liked but it seems that was the ONLY thing Tammy has no influence over! :) The bartenders and waitstaff were friendly and professional, always serving our guests with a smile. We have had several friends who are seeking a wedding venue ask of our experience at Smith Barn and the reply is always the same....BOOK IT NOW! Thank you again for assisting us in making some beautiful memories for our family!
The Unis Family

Services Used: Wedding Planning
1 Review
  • Flexibility: 5.0

My wife and i were married here a little under a month ago and we still cant believe how smooth and amazing everything was. Tammy was an absolute pleasure to deal with and also made some great suggestions as to who the rest of our wedding " team" should be. The venue was beautiful and with an outdoor "patio" gave us a few different places to take the wedding. Nora and troy our photographers were great as well. Extremely easy to work with and incredibly efficient. We had very little to no time wasted setting up or getting people in order so to speak. I would like to send a special shout out to Penny from Cloverleaf, our caterer. She made us feel so at home and was such a pleasant person to do business with. I will be calling ALL of them again!

• Wedding: 09/07/2012
  • Flexibility: 4.5

So my fiance and I knew we didn't want the same old hotel venue with scary carpets and awful curtains. Having said that, we wanted a place that was equally as unique as it was gorgeous. Let me say unequivocally that the Smith Barn more than fits the bill. The inside of the barn is beautiful and cozy and the surrounding grounds are great too. Tammy is quick to return all phone calls and answer any questions. If you are looking for someone to "plan" your wedding, that isn't her, but then again that's not her job. Being a historical society property there are some restrictions (no balloons, confetti, open flame, etc), but these were not a problem for us. We used LED tea lights on the tables and you really couldn't tell the difference. The bar is either all cash or consumption, based on how much your guests drink. You can set a limit however and once it reaches that amount it can switch to cash bar. It also helps to take out all top shelf liquors (which still leaves many high ends and a great variety) and shots, which stretches your dollar farther. They also allow, which I recommend, having your caterer serve sparkling cider for the "champagne" toast. That saves you big on something that often times just gets dumped out anyways. I don't even think anyone noticed either!! We had a beautiful day at the end of August with perfect weather. The barn doesn't have AC so plan your date accordingly if possible. I can see it getting pretty hot in there, but it was great for us! Our guests are still raving about the venue and how unique and amazing it was. If your looking for something different and beautiful, the Smith Barn really is it!!

• Wedding: 08/25/2012
  • Flexibility: 5.0

This was the PERFECT reception venue. My husband and I knew it was for us as soon as we laid eyes on it. It turned out to exceed all of our expectations! The fact that Tammy does not use email was not a problem for us at all, she answered any question I had, returned all my phone calls the same day, and was very helpful the day of the wedding - always making sure my husband and I had whatever we needed. I would choose this venue time and time again, our night was absolutely perfect and our guests have not stopped talking about how beautiful and unique it was. Love, love, love the Smith Barn!

• Wedding: 08/18/2012
2.3/5.0
  • Quality of Service: 2.0
  • Responsiveness: 4.0
  • Professionalism: 2.0
  • Value: 2.5
  • Flexibility: 1.0

The site of the Smith Barn is breathtaking. Despite my poor review, I wouldn't have chossen to have it anywhere else. The site itself is AMAZING!
However, Tammy (the function manager) needs some work. For the cost of the Smith barn, they should really be supplying a wedding coordinator. Everywhere else I looked at in this price range and even less expensive venues offered this service. I quickly found out this is NOT what Tammy does. To say that Tammy was "hands off" with the planning in an understatement. She does not use email so whenever you have a question you have to call her. She is very quick at returning your calls but generally short with her responses. I went with Cloverleaf Catering and thank goodness for them. They were really the ones to answer all of the questions I had. Bottom line, Brooksby is beautiful but don't expect much from Tammy. Make sure you have a great caterer or hire a wedding planner. I am a DYI sort of girl but even I needed more support than she could offer.

I would only recommend this to a friend after warning her about my concerns. I would recommend it for the beauty of the building alone.

3.8/5.0
  • Quality of Service: 3.5
  • Responsiveness: 4.0
  • Value: 4.0
  • Flexibility: 3.0

We had our wedding at the Smith Barn and loved it overall. It was absolutely beautiful and was the vibe was what we were going for. Tammy, the event manager, was helpful but more difficult to reach since she does not use email.

Because it is a historical society, there are several rules- some of which we were aware of and some not. No open flames or balloons allowed. That's not a big deal. But we spent almost $150 on flower petals only to find out no petals are allowed either. We also found out late in the planning that the bar only uses hard plastic cups for alcohol- no glass.

I would recommend this site to others, but just be prepared for a few restictions

• Flexibility: 5.0

This place is ABSOLUTELY beautiful! I have had so many guests tell me how beautiful the wedding was, and how unique, and different our wedding was! I love that the barn doesn't need much decor because the barn speaks for itself! The lights in the barn make it so easy to do almost nothing on decor which is so nice! tammy the planner is wonderful! The day of she was very attentive, and really is there for the bride, and groom! I loved our venue! I would highly recommend this to any bride to be!

• Wedding: 05/12/2012
Services Used: Lighting & Decor, Wedding Planning
4.2/5.0
  • Quality of Service: 4.0
  • Value: 4.0
  • Flexibility: 3.0

Smith Barn at Brooksby Farm is the most beautiful venue I'd ever seen and so i pretty much had to choose it. There are small downsides to choosing it as it is part of a historical society and thus has pretty stringent rules. The main problem I had with Smith Barn was with the bar. They don't do an open bar as in a certain dollar amount per guest (which actually is not uncommon it seems), they only do an open bar based on consumption, which to me is more like running a tab then an "open bar". They did, however, let my husband and I put down a certain monetary amount and when that ran out, the bar switched to cash which was a good option for us. The other issue is that the bar only takes cash and has no ATM so it became kind of a logistical issue for us to repeat a number of times to our guests "Remember to bring cash!" especially as they were shuttled there so there would be no way to run out and grab cash if they ran out. However, our guests handled it as adults and it worked out fine. Tammy is great to work with. She is very honest with you about any questions you have and she actually saved us some stress and money with some of her openness. She has a little bit of a "my way or the highway" attitude but I think that's completely reasonable given, 1) she's been doing it for along time and she knows what she's doing, 2) she's telling you the rules of a venue owned by a historical society, and 3) being up front with rules makes for no confusion later. They do a lot of weddings (because it's a great venue), so they have pretty strict load in and load out times, but with help from a few friends and our caterer, everything ran smoothly.

• Wedding: 05/04/2012
  • Flexibility: 4.5

I was married in Sept, 2011 and can't help but rave about The Smith Barm and staff! Where do I start.... Tammy Messina function manager went above and beyond not only on my wedding day but prior to with all of my phone calls and emails to help make sure my day was perfect. Which it absolutely was!!!! Her professionalism and yet caring touch made all the difference in comparison of some other venues I had seen. On the day of she acted as my wedding coordinater(since I didn't have one) making sure my wedding party was were they we're supposed to be(ceremony, reception, and group photo) which was fantastic. Tammy was always concerned with my well being constantly asking if I needed anything. Helping to melt my stress away...Love her!! As for the bartenders they were just amazing! The line was sol long being 200+ guests and in a blink of an eye no line! That made me and my guests very happy to not have to wait in a long line. They were very friendly and even remembered what a bunch of us were drinking. Overall it really was a fantastic day with too many great things to list about the Smith Barn and staff!

• Wedding: 09/03/2011
  • Flexibility: 4.0

I loved everything about Brooksby Farm. The ceremony space was gorgeous and intimate, the room in the Felton house was air conditioned (important as it was 90+ degrees that day) and the barn was twinkly and beautiful. We had tons of kids at our wedding, and set up the back side lawn with a cornhole game and some playground balls and the kids had a great time. The space was perfect for us--very casual and laid back, as well as lush and beautiful.

Things to work around: no candles or flames of any kind, so we used battery powered votives that we had to disguise creatively. No outside alcohol, only open bar or cash bar. Pretty strict time policy--only open two hours before and a half hour after, and you rent the space for six hours. If it's hot, the barn is hot. Upstairs is really hot. But they have fans and people didn't seem to mind too much--they hung out outside a lot and were only inside to eat. Tammy doesn't email, which is sometimes frustrating, but she returns calls immediately and is unbelievably good at her job on the day of your wedding. No frills, no problems. She gets things done.

We had Vinwood cater--they were impeccable, friendly and delicious. The caterer really runs your wedding at Brooksby, so pick someone you love. When you rent the space, you are literally just renting the space, and bringing in everything else. But if you are looking for a unique, homey, twinkly-rustic-lush-beautiful space, you have to get married here. It's so wonderful.

• Wedding: 07/23/2011