Shell Island Resort

Responsiveness
Professionalism
Value
Flexibility

I started out with Meredith at Shell Island. She is very personable, but took way too long to get back to me. I tried to give her the benefit of the doubt since we were still a few months out from our wedding, but once we got closer, her communication did not pick up. I had to follow up with her on several occasions where he response was "oh, sorry I thought I emailed you back". Two weeks is entirely too long to get back to a person via email, especially when they are planning their wedding from Indianapolis.

This review is based on Sasha and the rest of the staff at Shell Island. I was nervous that two months out, I found out that Meredith was leaving, but it was a blessing in disguise.

Sasha and her team were amazing. She was so quick to respond to me and wanted everything perfect for our big day as much as we did. The hotel staff were extremely accommodating as well as the catering staff. They did an awesome job the day of our wedding and I felt confident that they would set everything up how I wanted it to be.

We arrived into the reception and it was beautiful. The food was great, the tables were perfect, the staff checked in with us several times that evening, Sasha made sure to find us to check in on us before she left for the evening.

The only thing I did not like were the pillars in the reception room, but if you are coming to NC to get married on the beach, then you are coming for the view and Shell Island has the best view in Wrightsville Beach - so the columns became an afterthought.

I am extremely happy that Sasha took over and did such an amazing job. Thank you to her, and her staff - it was a wonderful experience working with them - I want to do it again! :)

Services Used: Ceremony & Reception Venue

Meredith is absolutely amazing, as well as the rest of the team at Shell Island! Meredith was super helpful and had great recommendations for any detail of our wedding day. She always stayed in contact and communicated any potential issues or questions that may occur on the wedding day, so that we could plan accordingly. She is terrific, and that is just the foundation of how wonderful our wedding was at Shell Island. George, the manager there, was present at the reception and took care of EVERY SINGLE DETAIL at the reception and post-wedding brunch. He was TERRIFIC. We couldn't have been happier with the quality of service we got on our wedding day and brunch. You couldn't go wrong with Shell Island, the room was beautiful, and our wedding was everything we wanted. We are SO grateful to Meredith, George, and everyone else at Shell Island. Our guests were amazed at the level of service and quality and we still receive compliments on the food and level of care there.

Colleen
07/11/2014

Meredith and the entire staff at Shell Island were wonderful. The entire event went great thanks to them. For me, it was the wedding I always wanted. For our guests, it was the most fun wedding they have been to. Everyone loved the food and thought cocktail hour was the meal. Lol...

Services Used: Ceremony & Reception Venue, Rehearsal Dinner Location

Sasha was wonderful. I can't imagine what we would have done without her. George and the rest of the staff were always at hand. Everyone at the resort had a smile on their face. Sasha and George went above and beyond to make this dream come true. 5 stars aren't enough!

brian
06/23/2014

Meredith and the staff at Shell Island were fantastic to work with and made everything very easy. Great venue for our wedding!

Services Used: Ceremony & Reception Venue, Wedding Planning
Kathryn
05/24/2014

We had our wedding reception at Shell Island and LOVED it! The food and drinks were spectacular, service top notch and everything went off without a hitch! I REALLY appreciated Meredith and her staff setting up the room just as I had asked. I came in and showed them how to do one centerpiece and they duplicated it for the other 11 tables! That allowed me to relax and hang out rather than rush around setting up. I have been coming to Shell Island as a vacation spot with my family since I was a toddler...to get married here was such a special moment. I can't say enough great things about the staff and facility.

Renee
05/04/2014

Meredith was beyond helpful! she was quick to respond to any questions leading up to the big day. Unlike most places, she was present for the rehearsal, ceremony and at the reception to make sure everything was in place. George and his team were very professional and provided excellent service throughout the reception. The banquet room was well kept. They allow you to bring in as much décor as you need, without any restrictions. The beach site is clean, and private. the arbor and chairs are set up an hour or so before the ceremony. The staff at the Resort are very friendly and hospitality is clearly a part of the culture they promote. The food was excellent. We had a buffet and cocktail hour. My guests raved about the taste, quality and how well it was prepared. the presentation of the fruit display and crudité was beautiful. I work in this industry, and Shell Island is indeed on point, and exceeded my high expectations.

Private User
Recently Married

Meredith Swicegood and her staff were exceptional from the start to the finish for my daughter's wedding. From the moment my guests and I checked in until we all checked out, we lacked for nothing!!! Shell Island is the perfect venue for a destination wedding! The staff takes care of everything!!! The rooms are beautiful, the beach is exceptional and the food is 5 star!!! I would like to thank again, Meredith Swicegood, her assistant Corey, George, Helen Gainer at the front desk, Shannon and Chris in the restaurant for a job well done!! You made this a perfect wedding weekend!!!!!

kristine
08/08/2013

Dear Shell Island,

Meredith is the most flexible person I have ever worked with. She is professional and friendly and makes everything very easy. She will always be remembered for making my life and wedding ABSOLUTELY AMAZING AND PERFECT!!!!

Thank you so much!!!

Ashley
1 Review
08/02/2013

Very, very pleased with the staff and how our wedding turned out! Very helpful and made our day so special!

Services Used: Catering, Ceremony & Reception Venue, Lighting & Decor
Terri
05/01/2013

What a FABULOUS experience! Meredith Swicegood was a dream to work with! She can resolve any issue with ease and finesse and she has a wonderful personality! The entire staff was extremely accommodating. They go above and beyond to make their guests happy. We had our wedding on the beach at the Shell Island Resort and our reception inside the ballroom afterwards. The food was absolutely delicious! My husband and I invited our officiators to our reception and they told us that the food was some of the best they had eaten, and they do a lot of weddings! George, our maître d', was fabulous. He took care of every detail in the dining area. My husband and I have so many good memories of our experience at Shell Island Resort that we intend to return there again and again! I recommend Shell Island Resort for anyone planning a beachfront event!

Justin
04/27/2013

From day one, Shell Island went out of their way to make our wedding one of the best. From Meredith, our wedding coordinator all the way down to the bell hops, their service was exceptional. Meredith was absolutely amazing to work with. Every little thing we needed, she was there and ready to help us out, even through a pregnancy! The catering manager was George and he did a phenomenal job. He insured everything went perfect with not just the food, but every little detail. Honestly, words can express how happy we were with how our wedding turned out and we would HIGHLY recommend Shell Island to anyone who is considering getting married on the beach.

Sara
03/23/2013

We had our ceremony on the beach and our reception at Shell Island. Meredith Swicegood, the wedding coordinator, was available to answer the many questions I had. She took the image of my wedding and made it happen. George, the banquet captain, kept our reception moving and even gathered all of our personal belongings at the end of the night and took them up to my parents room so we did not have to worry about anything. It is a beautiful location with service that cannot be beat! We received so many compliments and would absolutely recommend Shell Island to everyone.

Services Used: Ceremony & Reception Venue

The Shell Island resort was amazing. I was a moved bride from the Sheraton Atlantic beach. I only had 4 months to put a whole new wedding together. I met with Meredith at the Shell Island and she and her staff were unbelievable. They set me up with numerous vendors in the area since I was coming from Minnesota. She was attentive to everything I needed and helped me with numerous ideas and ways to make my night more special. She coordinated everything from my ceremony to my reception with me and was more helpful then I could ask for. I decided to have a buffet for my reception and had their new amazing chef host an italian, southern and seafood buffet. Everything was out of this world. There were no complaints at all about the food and service. The resort is located on a beautiful part of the ocean and we were able to have our ceremony right outside. Every guest that stayed at the resort was given a discount rate and every room is a suite with some even having a full kitchen. This place is top notch in everything they do and I would highly recommend having your event there.

Services Used: Ceremony & Reception Venue

Words cannot describe how impressed I was with the hands-on professionalism and above and beyond service at Shell Island Resort. My wedding coordinator Sasha helped me plan the best wedding my husband and I could have ever dreamed of, recommending outstanding vendors for our pastor, our cake, the flowers, and more! Many guests stayed overnight and were very impressed by the whole resort. Sasha and her vision for our reception from the decorations to her advice on food, wedding favors, and flow of the room were impeccable! Our ceremony was dream-like, and cocktail hour and a dinner were! Everyone was so helpful to our party! I would recommend this place to anyone!

Services Used: Ceremony & Reception Venue

There are not enough words to thank Meredith Swicegood, George and the entire staff at Shell Island Resort - Wrightsville Beach, NC for their professional expertise in helping plan and carry through our out of town Beach Wedding and Reception. We also had reserved room accommodations for wedding party guests at Shell Island and were very pleased with the service. The weather was absolutely perfect and the entire beach ceremony/reception were over and beyond our dream expectations. Thank you Shell Island for being a part of our special day! We highly recommend Shell Island for your dream Beach Wedding.