Quiet Waters Park

4.2
Flexibility
2.8
4.7

I found Quiet Waters Park online and fell in love instantly!! Our ceremony took place at the James Lighthizer Gazebo. IT WAS BEAUTIFUL!! This location is picturesque and just gorgeous. Our guests loved it. We loved it. I'd return just to visit because it's such a great place to spend time. Quiet Waters Park is #1 in my book for wedding venues.

Rebecca
04/17/2015

We loved our wedding ceremony! The gorgeous Lighthizer gazebo is perfection for intimate weddings (35 people max). The price was doable ($180) for 2 hour reservations. We only had our ceremony there, not our reception. The gazebo area is beautiful with the bridge and lake. Spring bloomed a bit late this year due to the longer winter but we still had some beautiful colors mid-April. Having an acoustic guitarist and your family and friends surrounding you in the permanent bench seating in the gazebo was perfect for us. My only complaint are the "rules" of the park. You cannot hang decor, play any amplified music, and most importantly to any bride-You cannot book the gazebo until the calendar year of your event. This is craziness in wedding world with save-the-dates and invitations needing to be sent out etc... Especially when your wedding is early in the year. Then when we did call, in the new year, we had to wait for a specific person who was off. It was not fun stressing about if I would actually get my time and date before another bride possibly took it. I wouldn't of changed my ceremony venue over the rules though- We loved our ceremony! We are located an hour away and will continue to visit this beautiful park.

Tracie/Brian
Recently Married
2.4

Well, if you have the time to call several times to get some answers then sure, choose this vendor. The office manager, Chanel is your best bet to get anything done. She was good to deal with as she worked with me with the rehearsal event. Keep in mind, if you book the Blue Heron Center for your event, but the event is inside, you can only do the rehearsal outside if it is available, or you have to pay to rent out the center to be able to do the rehearsal inside (luckily Chanel worked with me and I only had to book the center for 2 hrs). Karen was also nice to work with; but WATCH OUT for the old "B" that works in the office...SO RUDE!!! Really thought about trying to have her fired for her horrible customer service skills, unprofessioinalism and rudeness, but thought writing this review was better. Two more things you might have to deal with if you book the Blue Heron Center for your event; be prepared to have to clean it before your event! I don't know who they get to clean it, but my family member/friends that were helping to set-up the wedding had to dust and vacuum before anything was done. Last thing, the employee who checks during the clean-up is a real stickler; he was going to try and put us down for staining the carpet because there was a wet spot! Luckily when the office reviewed the paperwork they saw that we did not stain the carpet, as there was no stain because the "wet-spot" the guy saw was just where some water had spilled and just needed to dry! Had they tried to claim in the end that there was a "stain", then our deposit of $500 would have been forfeited! Positive note: The park is very beautiful and there are plenty of places to get some beautiful pictures, just be wary of the information I provided above! Good luck!

Kelli
10/26/2014
2.2

The Blue Heron Center is a very nice venue. They got rid of the pink trim and green chairs. I still used the caterers chairs because they looked much nicer with the decor. Any more than 100 guests and the room may get cramped. We had the perfect number. The bathrooms are clean and spacious and there are lots of ways to decorate and personalize. Be sure to measure on your own as the measurements of the windows, etc. are not accurate on the website. The cost of the Center is very reasonable but if you want any extra space for dressing and pictures, you have to pay for it. Be careful, it starts to add up. You have to rent the space if you want a rehearsal so be sure to keep the ceremony simple so you don't need one. There are a lot go hoops to jump through as they try to market it like a five star venue but the comparable service is not there. If you just relax and keep it simple, your day will be perfect.

3.4

Great experience on the day of my wedding. The weather was perfect, The only drawback
was dealing via phone with this vendor before the wedding.

Dear Liz,

We did not have a wedding at our Blue Heron Center on 9/27/2014. We would like to address your concerns but need to know your correct wedding date. If you would please let us know the date of your event we would greatly appreciate your response.

3.0

The set up and break down time we're included in the 8 hours of rental. I was very frustrated that the venue would not allow us to set up the night before (that added to my stress) beautiful location but I don't see any harm in setting up atleast 6 hours prior to your event

1.0

If you're looking for a wedding location that will work with you to exceed your expectations of the day that you may have dreamt about since a little girl....Find a different location!!! The staff goes above and beyond to make wedding planning a nightmare. Don't get me wrong the scenery is lovely but the poor customer service is not worth the hassle. I escalated to the Manager about questions I had about the insurance requirements and I understand that as a business there are certain policy requirements that there may be no way around. Instead of advising of options, or providing empathy the manager basically tried to scare me out of cancelling the event with them by telling me I wouldn't receive my $500.00 security deposit back. Really??? Unexceptional, sure I could pick a caterer from the list of Bbq places but it's the principal that matters. You can't talk to your customers as if they don't matter at the end of the day the customer is the reason why you have a job!!!

Services Used: Ceremony & Reception Venue

Quiet Waters Park was the perfect location for our wedding reception! Unlike other reviews, we had absolutely no problem with anyone at the park! They were very accommodating and friendly throughout the entire process.
If you want a location with many great photo opportunities, look no further! The Severn Overlook is perfect for water views and the trails are perfect for rustic/woodsy pictures. There is also a beautiful bridge over a pond that we were able to get so many great pictures. The garden that is attached to the Blue Heron Center is taken care of wonderfully and was the perfect setting for our reception. We were able to prop the doors open and everyone was able to enjoy the garden as well as the room inside.
I'm so glad that I chose Quiet Waters Park for my wedding!!

Private User
1+ year ago

As soon as I saw Quiet Waters Park and the Blue Heron Center, I was sure that was where I wanted to have my wedding reception. Even in the winter time the garden was gorgeous and beautifully kept. The facility was clean and has an open-air feel, with the many large windows and doors in the main room. Chanell, in the main office, was always very pleasant, even when she had to tell me my caterer was not accepted. As a bride who has plenty of details to stress about, a little compassion goes a long way. My main advice would be to make sure you are aware of and have thought through the rules and regulations they have to have because they are a park. I would recommend this venue for a wedding reception.

3.6

So... I have very mixed feelings. Overall, I LOVED having our ceremony and reception at Quiet Waters. You can't beat the price, it was beautiful in the gardens of the BLue Heron Center, and the size was perfect for us! That said, the staff can be very abrasive or downright snooty. We were supposed to get our deposit back 6-8 weeks after the event. It is now 13 weeks out and they keep making excuses. We did most of the set up, etc ourselves and also found them to be VERY picky about not putting any tape, etc up on the walls. Also, be aware that you must choose from their list of local caterers.

Quiet Waters Park responded with the following comments:

Thank you for your review. We do apologize that the damage deposit took longer than expected. It is a very long process due to the government procurement procedures. Please feel free to call us for more information or to discuss any concerns. Best, Quiet Waters Park Staff.

1 person found this review helpful
2.2

The wedding ceremony was held outdoors by the fountain and was beautiful, that I appreciate. However the rest of the experience of working with the quiet waters staff was a pain and it really seemed like they went out of their way to make it as difficult as possible. My advice, they have an approved caterer list, of mostly bbq type places, If you want to have your wedding here, pick your catering from that list first and make sure they have a menu to your liking, Because they will not under any circumstances let anyone else cater it.

Quiet Waters Park responded with the following comments:

Any caterer who is not on our Approved Caterers List would need to be approved 120 days prior to an event before they could cater here at Quiet Waters Park. All caterers must meet the requirements set by Anne Arundel County Law Office.

They would need to (1) fill out an application, (2) submit their Food Service Facility License issued by the Department of Health, and (3) have their Insurance Agent provide a Certificate of Insurance showing certain minimum insurance requirements. We would also need to receive the above no later than 120 days before your event date.

If they are unable to meet our requirements, you would need to select one of our Approved Caterers.

If you have any questions or need additional information, please do not hesitate to contact us. 410.222.1777.

Services Used: Ceremony & Reception Venue

Absolutely LOVED having my small wedding at the Lighthizer gazebo in Quiet Waters Park. It was very easy, affordable and the atmosphere was natural yet breathtaking. It was the PERFECT location for my now husband and I to get married! I would pick it again in a heartbeat!

2.7

The park is beautiful and the Blue Heron Center was a great location. The garden out back was the perfect setting. We had 150 people at our wedding, which is about capacity, but everything still worked out beautifully. This is NOT the venue to use if you're looking to have someone help you out along the way or if you think your wedding is "special". It's not - at least not to the staff of Quiet Waters Park. QWP is, first and foremost, a park. They will take your money but they want pretty much nothing to do with you. Just b/c it's a wedding doesn't mean they are willing to do anything other than what is specifically listed in the contract. Even if you pretty-please-with-sugar-on-top.
That being said, it's not a BAD place to have a wedding. It's a beautiful place. Just make sure you have an on-the-ball caterer (we did) and preferably a wedding coordinator (we didn't). Also, READ the contract. They will try to switch things up on you as their policies change (which they do frequently), so make sure you know what you signed up for and stick to it!

3.0

After reading a few reviews on here, I pretty much knew what to expect from Quiet Waters. I LOVED the location and they were very reasonably priced which is why we chose the park. You do need to be on top of them about certain things, they are more responsive to phone calls than emails. I was a little upset that we were promised transportation for our guests who could not walk to the ceremony location when we signed, and were then told that it was not a guarantee. The day of the wedding, transportation was available which was great, but this was something I was really worried about for our older guests. Overall, the park is a beautiful setting and you'll get great pictures. I was decently satisfied with them, but you do need to be prepared to take care of things yourself.

Services Used: Ceremony & Reception Venue

Quiet Waters Park was the best location I could think of for our wedding. We reserved the Blue Heron room and it was so spacious and the back garden was beautiful for our ceremony. You need to be organized to use this location because it is very much a DIY venue. Everyone was so gracious at the front gate and visitor center. They followed up on everything and were even willing to be flexible with our schedule.

2.9

First off, the good! Quiet Waters Park was absolutely BEAUTIFUL!!! It was an amazing place for pictures and the Blue Heron Center was amazing for the reception! We fit about 115 people in PERFECTLY!!! The pictures we got with the trees were AMAZING!!

Now for the bad... When we first signed, we worked with the manager named Carol who was great! She was very polite and responsive and very very helpful! Then, Carol moved on and was replaced with another manager. This new manager was VERY rude to both me and my husband. Also during the turnover they lost our contract so we had to resign. Luckily they didn't take us off the books or we would have lost the venue.

I would recommend the venue for the beauty but just a heads up on the staff.