Preston Woodall House

Value
Flexibility
Shawna
11/08/2014

I can not say enough good things about Preston Woodall House. From the initial consultation, to our tasting...everything we have experienced has been phenomenal. Joel has made this such a wonderful, and memorable time for us. I give Preston Woodall House a perfect score, because they have been nothing less than perfect!

Services Used: Ceremony & Reception Venue

The first day I walked into the venue, the first person I met was Joel, I fell in love with him and then fell in love with the house. The house is beautiful and has so much charm. Joel was so friendly, answered all our questions and was so amazing to work with. We got everything we wanted and more. Chef Brian is amazing, his menu for the wedding was incredible and everyone loved it. The staff was friendly and so accommodating. We were originally planning on doing the ceremony outside, however, the weather was not cooperating, Joel and staff did an amazing job of setting up the ballroom for the ceremony. Even though I was upset about not having the wedding in the courtyard, after I saw the setup in the ballroom, all of that went away and I was nothing but smiles. I knew I was there to marry my soul-mate and nothing else mattered. And it was perfect. It was also nice to have everyone stay with us at the venue, our family and friends stayed in the house with us and surrounding cabins around the house. We really enjoyed having everyone so close to us. Chef Brian and the staff even surprised us on our wedding night with a clean bridal suite with champagne, cupcakes and full plates of food from dinner, and this amazing display of rose petals shaped into a heart on our bed. We were blown away. Everyone knows how wrecked a bridal suite can get when you are getting ready for the wedding, it was super nice to have someone clean that up for us for our wedding night, we were so grateful to the Preston Woodall staff. I could go on and on about all the wonderful things this venue has to offer, but the last thing I will say is that my husband and I loved everything about this venue, we had the perfect wedding, and we will never ever forget it. People are still talking about it a month later. Thanks Joel, Stephanie, Chef Brian and staff for all your hard work.

Recently Married

The Preston Woodall House is where our entire wedding weekend took place. The staff was accommodating throughout the process. I dealt primarily with Joel and Kaitlyn prior to the wedding weekend but Stephanie and Chef Brian were there to help from the time we walked through the door. The staff was amazing. From bringing us snacks while getting ready to providing breakfast for our out of town guests the whole weekend went wonderfully thanks to this spectacular venue. I would highly recommend this venue to brides with many out of town guests however there are packages to fit every brides needs. Thanks a million PWH!!!!!

Preston Woodall House responded with the following comments:

Hi Faith and Matthew! We LOVED having you at the Preston Woodall House and can't wait to see pictures. You were awesome to work with and my staff truly enjoyed taking care of you during your wedding weekend. Thank you for being amazing clients and please come see us soon! All the Best, Joel

Services Used: Ceremony & Reception Venue, Rehearsal Dinner Location
thekristellers
07/05/2014

Exquisite venue! Joel, Stephanie, Brian & team provide world class service that is second to none. The staff at the Preston Woodall jumped through hoops to ensure our day went just how we’d planned & delivered a customized event that made all our dreams come true (and then some). We opted for the Platinum Package (keys to the estate all weekend long) and, if we could only recommend one thing, it would be to do the same! The platinum package allowed us the comfort of knowing everything would be taken care of & truly enabled us to focus on all the fun details of planning a wedding. Some of our favorite memories from the weekend came after hours with our overnight guests, an experience you cannot get at every venue. We knew we were on to something special when we met with other vendors and they got just as excited as we were when they heard we were planning our event at the Preston Woodall House! There is nothing more assuring than to hear what a wonderful reputation the PWH has in the community. And the foundation started with Joel, whom is literally the best Wedding Director you’ll find anywhere on this planet. He made us feel like we were part of the family throughout the planning process; he guided us with confidence & class and had phenomenal recommendations along the way. He was extremely flexible with our vendor selections, allowing us to truly personalize our event to our vision. Brian, the executive chef, adds an element of luxury to the menu with personalized recommendations & the best food your guests will have all wedding season (we literally got the most compliments about the food all weekend long, from the cheese grits at breakfast to the late night snacks after the reception). Not only is Brian an incredible chef, but he was also an extension of our event planning team, making sure everything came together perfectly, even after having a baby boy the same week of our wedding! The staff at PWH found ways to make our event sincerely unique all weekend long,

Services Used: Ceremony & Reception Venue

Garrett and I were in search of a venue that could best satisfy all of our needs for our special day. We visited several venues, but it wasn’t until we visited The Preston Woodall House that we knew we had found the perfect venue for our wedding day. From the first time we stepped into the Preston Woodall House to the day we said “I do”, the staff was absolutely amazing. Joel and Kaitlyn made us feel more like friends than clients and that was a huge selling point for us.

Joel and his staff worked tirelessly around the clock to meet our demands. We even threw in a monkey wrench a couple weeks before our wedding and Joel was very understanding and made it happen. The staff was always accessible via email and phone and their response time was very timely.

Our wedding day was absolutely perfect and everything we dreamed it would be. We are still receiving compliments from friends and family regarding how beautiful our wedding was and how great the food was, thanks to Chef Brian! Not only did we choose the best venue to celebrate our marriage, but we built friendships along the way. We will be recommending the Preston Woodall House to all of our friends!!! Love, Garrett and Heather Davis

Services Used: Catering, Ceremony & Reception Venue

I really don't know where to begin. When I got engaged May 2013 I thought I was going to be overwhelmed with wedding planning...until I found Joel Hurley and the Preston Woodall House. It took one visit to know that this was the place I wanted to marry my best friend. We got the all inclusive package for the whole weekend and brides I can't recommend this enough!! Joel and his staff treated not only me like family but made sure my whole family was treated the same. I consider he and his daughter Kaitlyn friends for life. Everything about our weekend was perfect and it couldn't have happened without Joel and his team. If you want the wedding of your dreams, Joel Hurley and the Preston Woodall House are the way to go! And big shoutout to Chef Brian who killed it with the food for the whole weekend!! It was amazing! Thank you, thank you, thank you to everyone who made such a fabulous weekend come to life! Love you bunches Joel!

Services Used: Catering, Ceremony & Reception Venue, Wedding Planning
Amy
05/17/2014

Joel and the entire staff of the Preston Woodall House were nothing short of amazing! The venue is breathtaking! I had an outside wedding in the garden and an indoor reception in the gorgeous ballroom. Joel and his staff helped to plan my dream wedding from start to finish. They were always quick to respond to phone calls and emails and always made time for me to stop in and go over details. Anything I needed help with, they covered it! I had a few last minute changes but Joel made every change workout! Joel had great ideas! All of my guests who attended the wedding said that this was the most incredible wedding they had ever been to. I can only attribute that statement to the entire staff of the Preston Woodall House! They were all so amazing, friendly, knowledgable, and accommodating! There ere no snags in my wedding, if there were snags, I never knew about it :) Wedding planning is no easy task, but because I booked the Preston Woodall House, I rarely had a stressful moment of planning. I picked the wedding weekend package which allowed me to have my bridal party and other guest spend the night on Friday and Saturday. The staff was on top of everything and were super friendly and helpful to everyone! Have I mention Brian, the chef, and his food?!?!?! The food was incredible, 5 star! Our rehearsal dinner, reception dinner, and breakfast was out of this world! Everyone was really impressed. My mother has a gluten allergy and Brian took care to make sure that my mother had food that she could eat as well. The entire wait staff was on-point every second! I could go on and on about how perfect and amazing the Preston Woodall house and the staff are! I highly recommend the Preston Woodall House if you are planning the wedding of your dreams! Mine certainly was the wedding of my dreams! It is also really reasonably priced! I loved every second of my wedding weekend!

WEDDING PLANING:
It was amazing to have Joel, the owner of the Preston Woodall House, not only hosting our rehersal dinner and wedding, but also Directing the wedding! He was able to help determine and give advice on the flow of the ceremony, where people needed to be, and what the best use of the space and facility was. He did well with comunicating with our bridal party and all of our guest with respect, kindness, but a sterness that made people confident in following his instructions. He did an awesome job! The weekend went amazingly smooth! Everything from the rehersal, to the rehersal dinner, to the wedding , and even the reception. He was there orchestrating over 250 guest and staff making the weekend as smooth and as stress free as it could possibly be!

REHEARSAL DINNER/CEREMONY/RECEPTION VENUE:
Not only Joel (the owner), but the entire staff went above and beyond:
a. Helping to carry in decorations
b. Getting sprite and crackers late at night the night before the wedding when I (the bride) fell sick the day before the wedding.
c. Setting up all the decorations.
d. Being sure all of the details were taken care of so that we could enjoy friends and family.

CATERING:
The catering and meals were simply AMAZING! Not only the flavors and the taste of the food but the layout and presentation of the food was by far better than any restaurant or any other wedding (bride has been a part of 4 and groom a part of 5) that we have been to in the last 5 years that we have both lived in NC. We repeatedly get compliments from our guest in relation to how all the food was so delicious and presented so beautifully. The Chef, Brian, came out several times HIMSELF to be sure that everything met our standards of satisfaction and to ask if there was anything else that he could do or preopare! Needless to say there was absolutely nothing more that we could even fathom asking for. Brian is hands down one North Carolina’s best kept secrets!!!

Services Used: Catering, Ceremony & Reception Venue, Wedding Planning

On October 9, I got engaged to a wonderful man who lives in Benson, NC. We wanted a small, intimate ceremony and did not hire a wedding planner. My mother and I did the planning. I found Preston Woodall House on Internet and my fiance and I met with Joel Hurley, co-owner, for a tour of the facility. We both loved what we saw and, fortunately, December 21 was available. From the moment I entered this beautiful, 1910 mansion and saw that photo of Scarlett O'Hara hanging in the foyer, I knew it would be perfect. I could see myself walking down that long staircase in the main house and into the arms of Rhett Butler. Since my mother and I are not familiar with NC, we relied HEAVILY on Mr. Hurley for recommendations for EVERYTHING, and I cannot thank him enough for his assistance. We used the minister he recommended, the DJ, the hair/makeup artist, the florist, and the bakery. We chose the Ultimate Destination Package, which gave us use of the Cora Lily Ballroom, the main house (5 bedrooms) and 3 on-site cottages. Instead of a rehearsal dinner, we opted for a Friday night cocktail hour(s) for out-of-town guests. Chef Brian Stillwaugh did a fabulous job with the hors d'oeuvres we selected (cheese display, spanikopitas, stuffed mushrooms, deviled eggs topped with caviar, brochette, meatballs). The wedding and the reception dinner were held in the beautifully decorated 2,800 sq. ft. Ballroom, with plenty of room for the ceremony at one end and dinner/dancing at the other. For dinner we chose the chicken chardonnay and beef bourguignon as our entrees, and garlic mashed potatoes and zucchini stuffed with asparagus and julienne carrots. There were many to choose from and something for anybody's taste. Again, Chef Brian did a marvelous job. I rate our overall experience as excellent. I highly recommend Preston Woodall to anyone looking for a beautiful setting for their special event. Joel and his staff are friendly, flexible, and most accommodating.

I'm not sure if this is the place to review the food that was provided at Preston Woodall House for my wedding there on 21 December but here goes. On Friday night, December 20, my fiance and I opted for a cocktail party for out-of-town guests instead of a rehearsal dinner. We chose "heavy" hors d'oeuvres and the list of possibilities was amazing. Chef Brian Stillwaugh did a wonderful job with all our selections. We chose (1) spanikopitas; (2) brochettes topped with pesto, allouette cheese, and smoked salmon; (3) mushrooms stuffed with corn, cilantro, peppers, and asiago cheese; (4) pinwheels with cajun chicken, shrimp, roasted vegetables, ham and cheddar cheese, and smoked turkey and (5) deviled eggs topped with caviar. The reception dinner following the wedding the next day was equally as delicious. We chose the chicken chardonnay and beef bourguignon as our entrees, and garlic mashed potatoes, and zucchini stuffed with asparagus and julienne carrots. Breakfasts for the out-of-town guests was wonderful as well (scrambled eggs, hash brown potatoes, bacon, turkey sausage links, blueberry pancakes--my favorite--an assortment of fresh fruits, cereal, and piping hot coffee and tea). I would rate my overall experience as exceptional.

Services Used: Catering, Ceremony & Reception Venue
1 Review
1+ year ago

The Preston Woodall House is an exquisite venue with a lot to offer. My experience at the Preston Woodall House was nothing less than the best, and I would definitely recommend this venue to anyone. The house is beautiful, the staff is exceptionally kind and helpful, and the event ran more smoothly than I could have imagined. All of this was made possible with the help of Joel Hurley, the owner of the Preston Woodall House. Joel, along with the rest of his staff, did a wonderful job planning and preparing for this event. Another “Wow!” was the amazing food! Chef Brian is absolutely incredible and undeniably knew the way into my heart! ;)

Preston Woodall House made my dreams come true!

Services Used: Ceremony & Reception Venue

We were married at the Preston Woodall House on 10/12/13. We bought the entire weekend package that included rental of the three houses that surround the PWH. Our out of town guests and wedding party stayed the entire weekend and could not have asked for better accommodations. The wedding was gorgeous and the food delicious. Chef Brian is the bomb. The staff were very attentive and a pleasure to work with. Owner, Joel Hurley was also my wedding planner and my director and all I can say is it wouldn't have been as wonderful as it was without his help and guidance. PWH is the best place to have your wedding and reception.

Services Used: Catering, Ceremony & Reception Venue, Unique Services (Other)
1+ year ago

The Preston Woodall House is a wonderful place to have a reception. It is so beautiful and from the outside- you would never guess it had a full sized ballroom inside. The price is great and catering, tables, chairs, linens and china is all done at the venue which really takes away a lot of the stress. The food is out of this world!!! Everyone at my reception loved it!

Tammy
04/06/2013

This is a great vendor if your wanting a beautiful place to say "I DO" !!! The owner is very easy to work with and the staff is wonderful. The food is amazing......

Anonymous
2+ years ago

The staff was great and the house looked amazing! The chef made breakfast the morning of the wedding and then the food for the cocktail hour and the reception and it was AMAZING! The coordinator made sure things ran smoothly and even made sure we had plates of food at the reception before the guests got in line so we had a chance to eat! The staff were efficient in all of their tasks, polite and more than willing to help anywhere they could. My husband and I were staying the night in the bridal suite after the guests left and while the reception was going on the staff & chef cleaned the room from where the bridal party and i had gotten ready earlier in the day, prepared the room with candles, fresh towels, drinks and two loaded and warm plates of food from dinner. We were so surprised and so thankful because by the time the night ended we were starving! We loved everyone we worked with from the day we first toured the house until our big day!!!

Services Used: Ceremony & Reception Venue

The whole experience with Preston Woodall was outstanding. From the planning to the execution of our wishes. Our wedding wouldn't have been perfect without them. Joel Hurley was amazing and Phyllis treated us like family. Brian the chef is incredibly talented and welcoming. Mac stepped in and took over when our planner dropped the ball and got flustered. Mac probably saved our wedding from disorganization and Kim, our personal post-ceremony server was INCREDIBLE. She made us feel like real stars on our day...THANK YOU, PRESTON WOODALL FAMILY!!

Services Used: Ceremony & Reception Venue

Perfect. My wife and I had an absolute blast at our rehearsal dinner, wedding and reception at Preston Woodall House. We were there from Friday to Sunday morning and they were very hospitable, helpful and always attentive to our every need and want. Food was outstanding and Joel, Dale and Dianne were very professional and personable and we could not have asked for better hosts. Before the wedding they were very helpful in all aspects of planning and I am confident in recommending them to anyone. A+++