Prantl's Bakery

Prantl's Bakery

5525 Walnut Street
Pittsburgh, PA 15232 | map
Desserts: Cookies, Cupcakes, Dessert Buffet, Groom's Cake, Pas...
Additional services: Consultations, On-site Delivery, On-site Setup, Tast...
Health license: Yes

Professionalism:
Value:
Flexibility:
  • Flexibility: 5.0

I chose mini burnt almond tortes for our "wedding cake" and it turned out amazing. Prantl's was extremely easy to work with and I was able to pick them up the day of. Of course they were delicious; they never disappoint! Most of my out-of-town guest haven't had the almond torte before and they are now in love. It was such an easy way to skip the traditional cake for our wedding but keep the quality!

• Wedding: 11/15/2014
3.8/5.0
  • Quality of Service: 4.0
  • Responsiveness: 4.0
  • Professionalism: 4.0
  • Value: 4.0
  • Flexibility: 3.0

I only did cake tastings at two locations. The burnt almond torte was our favorite, though. I worked with the bakery in Market Square. We had around 80 guests, so we got a 2 layer square cake and a sheet cake. We ended up taking the entire sheet cake home because there was too much cake and cookies apparently. Although, they were friendly, they were not that clear about what decisions needed to be made when and the payment schedule. Also, I asked them to put my cake topper on the cake, but they would not. The cake was delivered on time and it was good.

3.6/5.0
  • Quality of Service: 4.0
  • Responsiveness: 4.0
  • Professionalism: 3.0
  • Flexibility: 2.0

It was very easy to decide on flavor and design -- the staff was very flexible. We loved the final product -- beautiful and delicious! We purchased a three tier cake but used additional sheet cakes to save costs -- the guests never noticed the difference! Our only issue is that we delivered ribbon AND our cake topper to the bakery. The cake showed up at the reception without a cake topper. The bakery told us that it was against their policy to place the cake topper, but this was not clear to us -- and by this point, the topper was still at the bakery! To their credit, a staff member rode public transportation across the city to get us the cake topper before the guests arrived -- it just added some stress to the day.

• Flexibility: 5.0

We used Prantl's for our wedding cakes; we decided on several smaller cakes instead of one large wedding cake. We absolutely loved them all! We had two burnt almond tortes, one chocolate cake and one white chocolate raspberry- and our guests loved all of them and they all looked beautiful!

• Wedding: 10/18/2014
Kris10
4.1/5.0
  • Quality of Service: 4.5
  • Responsiveness: 3.5
  • Value: 3.5
  • Flexibility: 4.0

Other than a mix-up where the order was misplaced in their system because DH did the initial contact and I did the actual payment everything was smooth. And that mix-up was fixed with just a few emails. The almond torte is their best seller for a reason - totally to die for. We ended up with a lot left over only because people had filled up on the cookie table instead. I also recommend saving some money by doing a smaller, decorated smash cake and having the torte (or whatever you prefer) as sheet cake to cut and serve.

• Wedding: 09/13/2014
  • Flexibility: 5.0

We were very happy with our wedding cake!!

• Flexibility: 5.0

Absolutely amazing. We chose the burnt al'm ond torte for our wedding cake, it was just as wonderful as the day we tried it in the bakery.

• Wedding: 07/26/2014
  • Flexibility: 5.0

I used Prantl's Bakery for my wedding cake and groom cake this summer on my July 19th wedding at the Mansion at Maple Heights in Pittsburgh. We used Prantl's Burnt Almond Torte as our wedding cake, and had a groom's cake made with their cookies n cream filling. From beginning to end, I corresponded with Annette, and she was a dream to work with. She always got back to me within a day and had some fabulous ideas! She made extra efforts to understand all that I envisioned and make my ideas come to fruition. On the day of the wedding, they delivered the cakes on time and did a great job displaying them. Finally, the cakes were just delicious (as we knew they would be). People from out of town raved about it, and some even went to Prantl's on their way out of town to pick up things to take home. I would recommend Prantl's to any couple getting married that needs a fabulous cake!!! :)

• Wedding: 07/19/2014
  • Flexibility: 5.0

My wife and I decided on Prantl's famous burnt almond torte cake for our wedding. As we expected, it did not disappoint! Everybody raved about the cake and we saw first hand why it was "The Greatest Cake America Has Every Made", according to http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/04/14/prantls-torte-cake-almond_n_5133580.html

• Wedding: 07/19/2014
Mike
  • Flexibility: 5.0

We got the burnt almond torte as our wedding cake and it was absolutely delicious! Our first priority was that our cake taste amazing, and Prantl's was by far our favorite. It was really something special, and all of our guests were raving about it. The cake was also very affordable compared to competitors.

4.7/5.0
  • Value: 3.5
  • Flexibility: 5.0

I am so glad I got my cake from Prantl's. It was absolutely delicious and looked gorgeous. The burnt almond torte is my favorite cake in the world and was the only kind of cake that I wanted at my wedding. It fit in perfectly with our farm wedding. Because it was the burnt almond torte I think it was more expensive than other cakes, but it was worth it.

• Wedding: 07/05/2014
  • Flexibility: 5.0

We got a classic burnt almond torte cake for our wedding. Prantl's truly are professionals and it is clear as to why they are one of the leading bakers in Pittsburgh. Diane was so friendly to work with and I appreciated using their online system. It made things a lot easier to order and communicate. Our guests (even the Cleveland ones) raved about this special Pittsburgh treat. Kudos to Prantl's for always providing a top notch product!

• Wedding: 06/28/2014
Samantha
4.6/5.0
  • Professionalism: 3.0
  • Flexibility: 5.0

Overall I had a good experience. I felt like the bakery was always so busy that we never received the professional attention that most vendors give to wedding clients. Consultations are chaotic and not all of our details got written down. I was a little nervous but everything worked out great. I wanted icing piped to look like lace and had a lot of trouble finding a bakery that would do such an intricate design. A few bakeries had similar patterns but charged a decent fee to do it. Prantl's had a beautiful scroll pattern that looked like lace and didn't charge any extra for it. This made our cake a great value compared to several other bakeries I considered. Everyone raves about Prantl's burnt almond cake, but their red velvet is awesome too, which is what we went with. We received quite a few compliments from our guests. Our cake looked perfect, no bumps or lines in the frosting, and the lace pattern was beautiful. I would recommend Prantl's.

• Wedding: 06/14/2014
Brittany
  • Flexibility: 5.0

Prantl's bakery created a wonderful cake and desserts for our wedding. They created a wedding variation of their burnt almond torte for our wedding cake and then a variety of assorted junior pastries. 2 months later, our guests are still raving about how delicious the desserts were. We couldn't have been happier with the way everything turned out. Thank you for adding to the happiness of our wedding Prantl's!

1.0/5.0
  • Quality of Service: 1.0
  • Responsiveness: 1.0
  • Professionalism: 1.0
  • Value: 1.0
  • Flexibility: 1.0

Prant's was so unbelievably unprofessional. I have heard such great things, but when my fiance and I went for a cake tasting a few weeks ago, they were not prepared. They didn't have anything prepared for us, didn't have any of the paperwork I had filled out previously, and just seemed to bank on their reputation. Needless to say, we went elsewhere!

• Flexibility: 5.0

We went to Prantl's in Shady Side for an initial tasting. All the samples were individual common samples set out for us and our 2 guests. The cakes were great and highly recommended. The ordering process was a bit confusing as all referenced pictures and styles are done through their facebook page, though it is nice because it is accessible from anywhere. The cake was designed with 3 individual layers, 3 types of filling, with a scroll work, and colored frosted roses with toasted almonds. We had 120 servings for our 3 tier cake, and ALL 120 servings were picked up and eaten! The cake was professional made, delivered, and very tasty. The value per slice beat out Lincoln and Bethel. Very highly recommended!

• Wedding: 05/10/2014