Potomac Floral

Potomac Floral

Favorite
Silver Spring, MD
Is this your business? Claim this listing
• Customize your Storefront with your business info
• Network with and learn from other professionals
• Showcase your work with photos & videos
• Collect reviews from your clients and build more credibility

4.2
Value
Flexibility
4.1
Recently Married

I used Potomac Floral to do my own flowers for my wedding. About a month before the wedding, my then fiancé and I went to Potomac Floral to pick up a few flowers for a trial run. We selected a few different varieties of hydrangeas and some greens to play around with so that we could figure out exactly what we wanted to order. The place is basically just a giant refrigerated stock room that you can walk around. They have a huge variety of flowers, but if you want help from the staff, you are going to have to seek them out as most of them are busy putting together big orders for florists. We were perfectly content walking around on our own and found everything we needed.

A few weeks before the wedding, I set up an online account and ordered all my flowers through their website. I set to have them shipped to my mother-in-law’s hotel room two days before the wedding, because I didn’t want to have to worry about picking them up and transporting them myself. They arrived in two boxes and were very well packaged. Each stem had individual water bags tied onto the bottom, and the entire contents had been wrapped in an insulating cool pack.

If I were to ever do my own flowers again, I would definitely use Potomac Floral. They had a great selection, and everything was really affordable. The centerpieces ended up holding up really well, though I think I made the bouquets a day too soon. Though I probably could have ordered more flowers, I ended up spending less than $700 on flowers, which is a steal compared to what most florists are charging. If you are thinking about doing your own flowers, definitely check out Potomac Floral!

Services Used: Flowers

We ordered flowers for our DIY wedding. When I first came to this wholesale shop, I was lost in the enormous amount of flowers and people surrounded me. I was helped immediately! They have a great selection of flowers! They have everything (like peonies in the beginning of April) you need.

When I was making an order, I was advised to pick flowers 2-3 days earlier before the wedding, because there is always a chance that something can go wrong with flowers and it is better to have some time to resolve the situation. This happened with me. There was not enough flowers I have ordered, and some of them were not in a perfect (not bad) condition. They helped us immediately, and resolved our issue in 15 min (thanks it's a wholesale and they have more extra flowers in the back). Not to mention, they gave us a nice discount for the troubles.

We highly recommend Potomac Flowers for your wedding or other occasions!

0.0

Actually, I purchased flowers from Potomac Floral for a bridal shower in October 2014, and also as a test run for the upcoming wedding in March 2015, because I will be doing the flowers for the wedding as well.

The Cafe Au Lait dahlias arrived practically dead, wilted beyond repair. Half of the wax flower had fallen off the stems in the box, and most of the mums had browned tips on their petals. Only the Quick Sand roses were in decent condition. Fortunately I had purchased additional flowers from another source or I would have been in trouble. This first "test purchase" from Potomac Floral will also be the last.

When I placed the order online, I also followed up with a phone call to Evan Katzman and asked him to let me know before shipment if there was going to be a problem with the quality of the flowers. Of course, I received no further communication and the flowers arrived in poor condition. My follow-up phone calls after the fact met with the same lack of basic customer service. These people are unprofessional, unresponsive, and have no qualms about unloading their throwaway merchandise on unsuspecting internet customers.

Cait
Recently Married

Early on, I decided to DIY my flowers as there were other places I prioritized budget. If you decide to go this path, Potomac Floral is the vendor you want.

I went a year to the date ahead of time to get a general sense of what flowers they would have in-stock for our wedding. This was very helpful. You can also call a couple weeks in advance to see if the expect to have specific flowers. I ordered anemones and peonies online and then browsed the warehouse. They provide large carts so you can pull flowers and see how everything comes together. As we pulled together, we worked with a knowledgeable and friendly staff member to get a gut check on if we had enough stems and suggestions on how to fill out our order.

They have great knowledge of how to care for the flowers. We purchased two nights before the wedding and created the arrangements the day before. They lasted more than a week!

Total, including vases, we didn't spend more than $1,000 on flowers. If you're going to DIY flowers, I recommend it be your one big DIY.

In response to some of the other comments, it's important to realize they are a wholesaler, not a true wedding vendor. Most of the clients they deal with are professional florists or event designers.

Services Used: Flowers

I bought all my flowers from Potomac and was extremely happy with the selection and quality.

3.6

I ordered flowers and like any bride , called several times to verify my order and every time they couldn't find my order and once they did they swore all aspects of the order were correct, when I arrived to pick up my order it was incorrect. They were fantastic at fixing the order as best as possible (several of the flowers they just couldn't supply on the spot) but they didn't go over issues or problems with the flowers with me and when I got the flowers home I did everything by the book they told me to do to make sure my flowers were at their best for the wedding. The morning of the wedding most of the flowers were dead. They gave me a refund but not worth chasing flowers on your wedding day.

0.5

I had such a bad experience with potomac floral.. we decided to do our own flowers on attempts to try and save money for our wedding. We wanted peonies which were a bit late for the season but when we went to pick up the flowers there were still bunches that looked perfectly fresh. We bought several hundred dollars worth of peonies. We followed their instructions and kept the house very cold. The day before the wedding when we started arranging the bouquets, ALL of the petals fell off the stem! They were dry rotted from the inside! Literally we had buckets and buckets of petals and no flowers for the bouquets. When I called them their solution was to bring back the flowers..It's the evening before my wedding..I don't have time to drive 45 minutes to return the flowers which were unusable anyways.. I ended up going to whole foods to buy New flowers and was up until 2:30 in the morning!! I called the next morning and asked to speak to the manager and again they asked me to return the flowers..I demanded a refund, at least a partial one for the peonies, but they refused!! Hundreds of dollars worth of unusable flowers..thanks so much for your excellent customer service and flexibility!! Should have gone with a real florist in the first place .. I would have saved a lot of time, stress, and money.

1+ year ago

Perfect place for DIY flowers. Completely open to the public. Giant cooler with rows and rows and flowers. Pick whatever you want and bring it all the front for a price and checkout. No typical checkout line or cashiers so be prepared to flag someone down. The majority of employees are friendly and helpful, just sometimes they get overwhelmed.

1+ year ago

We did our own floral arrangements for the wedding. If you're going to do that, Potomac Floral is the place to go. They have an amazing selection of flowers and accessories (floral tape, wood branches, oasis, etc.). They also have a very knowledgeable staff that can work with you to determine what will be in season and what will look best on the day of the wedding. As a caution, it's very DIY, so it helps to have a sense of what you want and I would recommend going a few months early to put together some practice arrangements. Otherwise, you risk being overwhelmed or not ordering enough flowers. Service is also very slow because they are so attentive to each customer, so don't plan on rushing in and out.

All in all, a great option for a budget-minded couple with some artistically talented friends and family. We saved at least $500 off the price of similar professionally-arranged flowers - and got exactly what we wanted.

Services Used: Flowers

Doing our own flowers was SO worth the money saved - I don't think it would have looked any better by spending more. Potomac Floral has an incredible selection. My experience started out a bit iffy, which I think was mostly due to the fact that I'd never ordered flowers before and was a bit clueless on how it all works. I ordered our flowers online about 2 weeks before our reception...but realized later that the exact flowers that come in change all the time...so exactly what you order may not be available on the day you have to pick up your fresh flowers. They let me know the week before that they were out of one of my flowers and I could order something else online or pick out something else in person when I picked them up. When we went to pick up our flowers it was a bit of a madhouse and it was not clear how to get anyone's attention. After a couple minutes someone came to us - and he was totally committed to our satisfaction! He was so patient in walking through all their coolers with us to help us find flowers that would work. In the end, we traded out a couple things from my original order. What we ended up with even better than what I ordered for the same price and looked so amazing at our reception! A note: we did have more than 20 of the roses become droopy - we noticed it while we were putting the arrangements together the next day. When we called they offered to exchange them for us for free - but we couldn't drive down to Silver Spring from Fort Meade with rush hour approaching. We looked online and found a way to save them using newspaper and the bathtub that worked perfectly...I wish the guy on the phone had suggested that, but it all worked out in the end. Apparently, this drooping problem is not rare - it happens when the removal of thorns creates holes in the stems and the roses can't draw up enough water to the bud. Overall, I'd definitely recommend them!! Take a day and do your own flowers - it feels so satisfying and looks amazing!

Services Used: Flowers

I ordered all my wedding flowers from Potomac Floral. We put in our order about 3 weeks before the wedding and we received all the flowers on time. We were actually advised by someone else to order extra heather and baby's breath because the stems usually come broken. However....all the flowers were intact when we received them from Potomac Floral! We highly recommend them!

2.6

Potomac Floral is kinda chaotic and disorienting for a first-time shopper. Overall it's the kind of place we only went to because it's supposed to be a bargain. Quality (and value, I guess) of the goods was good, but everything to do with service was average at best. None of the staff greeted or approached us, or offered us much guidance until we sought someone out. The employees don't seem to wear uniforms or consistently wear name badges so it's a little difficult to tell who works there.

0 stars for professionalism because the employee that was checking us out repeatedly took incoming calls to the store and helped those callers as we physically stood there waiting to finish paying for our order and leave.

Katisha
09/14/2013
4.2

Beautiful flowers and a huge variety cost effective especially for DIY floral arrangements!!!!

Services Used: Flowers

I did my own flowers and Potomac Floral was the reason I was able to pull it off. I walked into the warehouse with no ideas whatsoever, except that I liked Hydrangeas and I had 3 wedding colors to stick to. We spoke to Tony who let us walk around and look at flowers we liked. We compiled a list and he talked us through the pros and cons of each. He even offered us jackets because the storage room was freezing.

When I came back to place my order they were so accommodating. He didn't have a set of lavender flowers I had ordered, so after apologizing profusely, he helped us pick out some similar ones, which were in my opinion better than the ones we had originally ordered. He also walked us through how to take care of each of the different blooms so they would last the extra days until the wedding.

Absolutely great experience, and I look forward to going back there to buy all my future flowers.

Katy
06/22/2013

Potomac Floral was incredibly easy to work with, and I would highly recommend - for a wedding on a budget or not.

Easy online ordering system, high quality product, and great staff. When they didn't have in stock some of the flowers I had ordered (they can make no guarantees about out of season flowers), in addition to providing me with a similar bunch of flowers, they let me wander through their cold storage room and choose a few extra stems for free. This made my bouquet and our wedding flowers that much more unique. A great experience.

Services Used: Flowers

I had a great experience purchasing flowers at Potomac Floral. Because we wanted to do our own flowers, we checked out the business based on a friend's recommendation. I worked with David, who answered all my questions and helped me find the right flowers for our needs. I built the list based on a bouquet sold by Sam's Club (they list the flowers included in all their packages individually). Ultimately, the flowers were all beautiful and we didn't have any casualties. I saved a ton of money compared to wholesale websites. However, you need to be prepared for a very hectic experience. It seems like the place is constantly buzzing with activity and while David was extremely helpful, he kept getting pulled in every direction. Come prepared with your questions and don't forget to check out the supply store in the back on your first visit, they have much more than just standard floral foam. We had a great time putting together our arrangements and it was a nice D.I.Y. touch to the wedding.

Services Used: Flowers, Unique Services (Other)