Potomac Floral

• Responsiveness:  0.0
  • Professionalism:  0.0
  • Value:  0.0
  • Flexibility:  0.0
Actually, I purchased flowers from Potomac Floral for a bridal shower in October 2014, and also as a test run for the upcoming wedding in March 2015, because I will be doing the flowers for the wedding as well.

The Cafe Au Lait dahlias arrived practically dead, wilted beyond repair. Half of the wax flower had fallen off the stems in the box, and most of the mums had browned tips on their petals. Only the Quick Sand roses were in decent condition. Fortunately I had purchased additional flowers from another source or I would have been in trouble. This first "test purchase" from Potomac Floral will also be the last.

When I placed the order online, I also followed up with a phone call to Evan Katzman and asked him to let me know before shipment if there was going to be a problem with the quality of the flowers. Of course, I received no further communication and the flowers arrived in poor condition. My follow-up phone calls after the fact met with the same lack of basic customer service. These people are unprofessional, unresponsive, and have no qualms about unloading their throwaway merchandise on unsuspecting internet customers.
Wedding: 03/07/2015
  • Flexibility:  5.0
I bought all my flowers from Potomac and was extremely happy with the selection and quality.
Wedding: 09/19/2014
4.4/5.0
  • Responsiveness:  4.0

Private User 4 Reviews
Perfect place for DIY flowers. Completely open to the public. Giant cooler with rows and rows and flowers. Pick whatever you want and bring it all the front for a price and checkout. No typical checkout line or cashiers so be prepared to flag someone down. The majority of employees are friendly and helpful, just sometimes they get overwhelmed.
Wedding: Recently Married

Private User 7 Reviews
We did our own floral arrangements for the wedding. If you're going to do that, Potomac Floral is the place to go. They have an amazing selection of flowers and accessories (floral tape, wood branches, oasis, etc.). They also have a very knowledgeable staff that can work with you to determine what will be in season and what will look best on the day of the wedding. As a caution, it's very DIY, so it helps to have a sense of what you want and I would recommend going a few months early to put together some practice arrangements. Otherwise, you risk being overwhelmed or not ordering enough flowers. Service is also very slow because they are so attentive to each customer, so don't plan on rushing in and out.

All in all, a great option for a budget-minded couple with some artistically talented friends and family. We saved at least $500 off the price of similar professionally-arranged flowers - and got exactly what we wanted.
Wedding: 1+ year ago
4.8/5.0
  • Quality of Service:  4.5
  • Flexibility:  5.0
Doing our own flowers was SO worth the money saved - I don't think it would have looked any better by spending more. Potomac Floral has an incredible selection. My experience started out a bit iffy, which I think was mostly due to the fact that I'd never ordered flowers before and was a bit clueless on how it all works. I ordered our flowers online about 2 weeks before our reception...but realized later that the exact flowers that come in change all the time...so exactly what you order may not be available on the day you have to pick up your fresh flowers. They let me know the week before that they were out of one of my flowers and I could order something else online or pick out something else in person when I picked them up. When we went to pick up our flowers it was a bit of a madhouse and it was not clear how to get anyone's attention. After a couple minutes someone came to us - and he was totally committed to our satisfaction! He was so patient in walking through all their coolers with us to help us find flowers that would work. In the end, we traded out a couple things from my original order. What we ended up with even better than what I ordered for the same price and looked so amazing at our reception! A note: we did have more than 20 of the roses become droopy - we noticed it while we were putting the arrangements together the next day. When we called they offered to exchange them for us for free - but we couldn't drive down to Silver Spring from Fort Meade with rush hour approaching. We looked online and found a way to save them using newspaper and the bathtub that worked perfectly...I wish the guy on the phone had suggested that, but it all worked out in the end. Apparently, this drooping problem is not rare - it happens when the removal of thorns creates holes in the stems and the roses can't draw up enough water to the bud. Overall, I'd definitely recommend them!! Take a day and do your own flowers - it feels so satisfying and looks amazing!
Wedding: 10/26/2013
  • Flexibility:  5.0
I ordered all my wedding flowers from Potomac Floral. We put in our order about 3 weeks before the wedding and we received all the flowers on time. We were actually advised by someone else to order extra heather and baby's breath because the stems usually come broken. However....all the flowers were intact when we received them from Potomac Floral! We highly recommend them!
Wedding: 10/13/2013
2.6/5.0
  • Responsiveness:  2.5
  • Professionalism:  0.0
  • Value:  4.0
  • Flexibility:  2.5
Potomac Floral is kinda chaotic and disorienting for a first-time shopper. Overall it's the kind of place we only went to because it's supposed to be a bargain. Quality (and value, I guess) of the goods was good, but everything to do with service was average at best. None of the staff greeted or approached us, or offered us much guidance until we sought someone out. The employees don't seem to wear uniforms or consistently wear name badges so it's a little difficult to tell who works there.

0 stars for professionalism because the employee that was checking us out repeatedly took incoming calls to the store and helped those callers as we physically stood there waiting to finish paying for our order and leave.
Wedding: 09/28/2013
4.2/5.0
  • Responsiveness:  3.5

Katisha 2 Reviews
Beautiful flowers and a huge variety cost effective especially for DIY floral arrangements!!!!
Wedding: 09/14/2013
4.8/5.0
  • Flexibility:  5.0
I did my own flowers and Potomac Floral was the reason I was able to pull it off. I walked into the warehouse with no ideas whatsoever, except that I liked Hydrangeas and I had 3 wedding colors to stick to. We spoke to Tony who let us walk around and look at flowers we liked. We compiled a list and he talked us through the pros and cons of each. He even offered us jackets because the storage room was freezing.

When I came back to place my order they were so accommodating. He didn't have a set of lavender flowers I had ordered, so after apologizing profusely, he helped us pick out some similar ones, which were in my opinion better than the ones we had originally ordered. He also walked us through how to take care of each of the different blooms so they would last the extra days until the wedding.

Absolutely great experience, and I look forward to going back there to buy all my future flowers.
Wedding: 09/01/2013

Katy 10 Reviews
Potomac Floral was incredibly easy to work with, and I would highly recommend - for a wedding on a budget or not.

Easy online ordering system, high quality product, and great staff. When they didn't have in stock some of the flowers I had ordered (they can make no guarantees about out of season flowers), in addition to providing me with a similar bunch of flowers, they let me wander through their cold storage room and choose a few extra stems for free. This made my bouquet and our wedding flowers that much more unique. A great experience.
Wedding: 06/22/2013
4.0/5.0
  • Responsiveness:  4.0
  • Value:  4.0
  • Flexibility:  3.0
I had a great experience purchasing flowers at Potomac Floral. Because we wanted to do our own flowers, we checked out the business based on a friend's recommendation. I worked with David, who answered all my questions and helped me find the right flowers for our needs. I built the list based on a bouquet sold by Sam's Club (they list the flowers included in all their packages individually). Ultimately, the flowers were all beautiful and we didn't have any casualties. I saved a ton of money compared to wholesale websites. However, you need to be prepared for a very hectic experience. It seems like the place is constantly buzzing with activity and while David was extremely helpful, he kept getting pulled in every direction. Come prepared with your questions and don't forget to check out the supply store in the back on your first visit, they have much more than just standard floral foam. We had a great time putting together our arrangements and it was a nice D.I.Y. touch to the wedding.
Wedding: 04/28/2013
Services Used: Flowers, Unique Services (Other)
4.4/5.0
  • Responsiveness:  3.0
  • Flexibility:  5.0
Okay, this is a completely honest review. I ordered our flowers about 2-3 weeks before the wedding, which took place in Michigan. Therefore, this was an INTERNET order, and not an in-person pickup from their warehouse.

The flowers arrived on-time, and in relatively good condition. One of the most important flowers, however, was substituted for a similar type, but I was definitely disappointed that we didn't receive the ones we asked for. Overall, I would have to say their communication is poor (took a VERY long time to hear back from numerous emails I sent), but the end result was great. We saved A LOT of money by doing our own bouquets and centerpieces and I know it's partially due to them!
Wedding: 05/26/2012
4.3/5.0
  • Responsiveness:  4.5
  • Flexibility:  4.0
We ordered our flowers from here for our wedding day and they were all amazing! A very economical way to go if you (or someone you know) is willing to create your bouquets, centerpieces, etc. on your wedding day. I visited in advance and talked to them about what fllowers I liked and what might be available in November - they were great help and their pricing is awesome.
Wedding: 11/12/2011
  • Flexibility:  5.0
Got beautiful peonies for a mid-June wedding and gorgeous David Austin roses.
Wedding: 06/18/2011
  • Flexibility:  5.0
When I went to several floral designers and floral shops, the quotes I received were astronomical. So my fiance and I decided that we would do the flowers ourselves - or should I say, I would do them! I met with David who was super helpful and gave me great ideas and background on flowers and my options based on the time of year I wa sgetting married. I ordered two weeks in advance and my order was available on time and the flowers were incredibly fresh! Doing your own centerpieces and bouquest etc takes alot of time and energy. But David helped me defina a concept and buying wholesale is EASY on the pockets! After flowers and supplies I spent about $500 on all the floral needs for my wedding! This was a third of the lowest quote I got! I will never go to a florist again! Potomac Floral Wholesale will get my money!
Wedding: 11/07/2010
4.6/5.0
  • Responsiveness:  4.5
  • Flexibility:  4.0
I had a small wedding (32 people) and decided to do the flowers myself after all the florists I talked to had ridiculous minimums/wanted way too much money ($170 for my bouquet?! Really?! I do not think so).

I went up to Potomac Floral a few weeks before the wedding to check it out and ask some questions--David, the sales manager, was very helpful.

We decided against doing an order ahead of time, since I was pretty flexible about what flowers we used and wanted to see what I was buying. We drove up the day before the wedding, put a dolly outside the cold room, and started pulling flowers. For $350 we got about 250 stems of roses, some filler flowers, and some beautiful tiny white buds for my bouquet (they were the most expensive thing we bought), as well as some flower food and shears for cutting the stems. We did 10 vases, 5 bouts and corsages, my bouquet, and flowers for the cake--they were all gorgeous. Everything held up great and smelled wonderful.

I don't know how it would work if you are really particular about what flowers you want, or if you have a really specific "vision," but if you're on a budget and have some willing hands to help, buying from Potomac and DIY-ing it can work out great.
Wedding: 11/06/2010
 800-770-8353
Please let this vendor know
you found them on WeddingWire