Metropolis Ballroom of Arlington Heights

Sort By:

4.8/5.0
  • Value:  4.5

Amy 2 Reviews
The Metropolis was a magical setting for my daughter's winter wedding. We were looking for a downtown feel in the suburbs, and the elegant ballroom at the Metropolis, with its balcony overlooking holiday lights in the park, fit the bill perfectly. Michael, the event manager, met with us many times to help create an elegantly decorated room with delicious food and impeccable service. Throughout our planning, he answered all of our questions and had lots of creative ideas of his own to help us. He's much more than a manager; he's more of a wedding planner who will review invitation wording, band set lists, floral decorations, and more. On the night of the wedding, he made sure everything went smoothly and that my daughter, her new husband, and all of our guests had a night they won't forget!
Wedding: 12/28/2013
4.3/5.0
  • Flexibility:  3.5
Metropolis and staff was one of the many factors that made our wedding such a fairy-tale come true! We loved it the second we walked in. Michael, Danielle, and all the staff far surpassed our expectations! We are a husband and wife that can say that not a thing went wrong at our wedding or reception! Any little detail or plan that we were worried about went better than we could have imagined! We had read in reviews about Metropolis that Michael Raymond was a "jack of all trades"...that was an understatement! Can't even begin to count all the times during and after our wedding that our parents and bridal party ranted and raved about how "Michael was such a blessing to this experience and helped it be pulled off flawlessly!" The waitstaff and bartenders were SO attentive and professional. Making food decisions was difficult because there were far too many great options that all tasted and looked great!

A few things that we weren't thrilled about but were not deal breakers: 1. You must get every consumable good from Metropolis and pay the expensive price for it. My husband wanted him, groomsmen, and fathers to drink his favorite whiskey while getting ready. We were not allowed to bring this in, we would have had to get it overpriced through Metropolis. They did give us a beer and champagne toast though for the bridal party and parents before the ceremony. 2. Very limited beer selections even on the upgraded bar package. Great top shelf alcohols but no craft beers. Very pricey if you want to get it through them. 3. Underage people not getting kids meals get charged bar package. We fought this many times but Michael wouldn't compromise.

This review cannot begin to capture how truly happy and grateful we are to have had our wedding at Metropolis! Happiest day of our lives this far. Most expensive party we'll ever throw but honestly was worth it!
Wedding: 09/20/2013
4.6/5.0
  • Professionalism:  3.0
  • Flexibility:  5.0
The Metropolis is a great idea for a wedding in the suburbs for those who like the feel of city weddings. It has a feel like a loft in the city, with big open windows looking out on to buildings and trees lined with white string lights, tall open ceilings, and all wood floors. It's a great place to design a wedding exactly how you want it, and the planner guy there is so involved and so helpful. He goes above and beyond the call of duty to make sure every detail of your wedding is covered, and is perfect. I would do it again with them in a heartbeat. There were a couple of down sides which didn't come up till the week of. I had planned to use a special song to walk down the aisle to, which I emailed the planner, Michael, about obsessively. He forgot the day of, and as I was walking on to the aisle asked me if they were going to change the song for me. It messed up the timing of the song and really upset me, but I married my husband anyways! I later also found out that they ran out of food for some guests. Thankfully no one told me that the day of. I understand things go wrong at weddings, but the thing that really upset me about it is that they didn't reach out to me afterwards and apologize and explain the mistake. For that reason, I felt they were unprofessional. However, given all the bad things that could have happened, and all the good things that did happen (weight staff was great, bartender was phenomenal, Michael works extremely hard, venue is perfect), I would still pick them to do my wedding again.
Wedding: 08/09/2013
  • Flexibility:  5.0
Simply outstanding in all areas.
Wedding: 06/08/2013
4.9/5.0

Melissa 6 Reviews
I cannot say enough about how pleased I am with the Metropolis Ballroom. Michael and his team did an exceptional job turning our dream into a reality, and our day was absolutely perfect in every way. We stumbled across the Metropolis while searching for a venue that was unique and different from the plethora of banquet halls in our area, and while the room itself was gorgeous with the wood beams, wall of windows leading to the veranda, and modern chandelier, I was blown away by this venue's attention to detail. We had a very clear vision of what we wanted our wedding reception to look like, and nothing was off limits to Michael and his staff. I would highly recommend the Metropolis Ballroom to couples looking for a unique space with delicious food and incredible service. Thank you so much for making our wedding the best day of our lives.
Wedding: 04/27/2013
  • Flexibility:  5.0
Both my sister and I hosted our wedding receptions here. Both were outstanding and perfect.

Their service is completely unmatched. They don't have servers driving food around on rusty old carts, dressed sloppily and refilling your water wearing latex gloves. They are organized, professional individuals who truly care about what they're doing. Clean cut and there to serve. When a guest leaves their seat, a server is quickly refolding his/her napkin and placing it appropriately. These small details were important to us. There is only one event room, one cocktail room and one event going on. YOUR event is their only focus and it absolutely shows.

Michael Raymond-What can I say about Michael? He really has, after two weddings, become part of our family. When my fiance (now husband) and I met with Michael the first time (along with my parents) we had NO clue about colors, flowers, ambiance, etc. No vision whatsoever. Michael asked us a few questions and before we knew it, our dream wedding was developing before our eyes. Michael is a gem, not just in the event planning world, but in everything he does. He cares about his clients and he will literally go to any extent to make them happy. As my 2 year old ring bearer nephew is yelling for "more M&Ms please!" before his Grandfather can say "they're all gone, bud!" Michael is already sending someone to the store. For M&MS!! There are several examples like this from my wedding day, as well as my sisters. Michael, you're the greatest.

If you're considering The Metropolis for your wedding/reception venue, just do it. You will not be disappointed.
Wedding: 02/02/2013
3.2/5.0
  • Quality of Service:  4.0
  • Responsiveness:  2.0
  • Professionalism:  4.0
  • Value:  3.0
  • Flexibility:  3.0
This 3.2 should not be perceived as negative, because overall I was very happy with the venue. My husband and I had our reception here on 11/3/12. We had about 165 guests, all of which fit comfortably - however we had to move tables after dinner to make the dancefloor bigger. The head coordinator at the Metropolis is Michael Raymond. He really loves weddings and definitely has a lot of experience, but sometimes I thought he was a little stubborn and forgetful. For instance, he had to ask my ~5 times whether or not I was having a head or banquet table (I was not). Also, don't expect to get quick responses from him until you are about 1-2 months pre-wedding. He is not an email person. However, I DO believe they just hired a coordinator to help him since they were booking more weddings than they could manage, and I'll admit the responsiveness did get much better once she had been hired.

The food and service that night were great. We received so many compliments from our guests and everyone had a blast!! The venue isn't cheap - with a 20K minimum spend on food/liquor alone PRE Tax (11%) and Gratuity (20%). That doesn't include chair rentals (if you want Chivari), lighting, etc. If anything I would've preferred more automatic upgrades for that price, but I guess Chicago is the 2nd most expensive area to get married so I shouldn't be too surprised.

All and all, you will have a beautiful wedding here -especially for UNDER 175 guests.
Wedding: 11/03/2012
4.8/5.0

Jordan 4 Reviews
Michael, of the Metropolis Ballroom Wedding Coordinator, was the best thing that ever happened to our wedding planning team. My mother and I could not have survived without his 25 years of expert advice and ability to address even the smallest of details.

Furthermore, the facility accommodated our every need, desire, and request, no matter how much or little notice we provided. The food was excellent and the staff incredibly professional. We were able to have the ceremony, cocktail hour, and the reception all on site which made it extremely convenient for us and our guests.

Overall, we could not have chosen a better location to start our new life together!
Wedding: 08/25/2012
4.4/5.0
  • Flexibility:  4.0
The best suggestion we got during the entirety of our wedding planning came from a friend-of-a-friend on Facebook. We called out for reception hall ideas, and one of the responses was “Hey, check out Metropolis Ballroom.” We called Metropolis, and lucky for us, we were there viewing the space no more than 1 hour later. We immediately fell in love with it. For two people who wanted a modern, urban city venue, but wanted to save our guests the hassle & expense of an actual wedding in the city, it. was. perfect.

The ballroom itself is beautiful, and the balcony overlooking downtown Arlington heights is just one more thing that separates Metropolis from other reception halls. However, it’s not the only thing. Our contact at Metropolis, Michael Raymond, was an incredible resource on etiquette, and made us feel like we had a wedding planner, without having to actually hire a wedding planner. He was ready to help us with ANY problems we had. We made our own wedding invitations, and we needed someone to review them, he didn’t hesitate. He not only looked for errors, but also helped take a symbol from the invite, and turn it into a consistent “theme” throughout the wedding. They even drew the symbol on the wedding cake! Also, when the wedding dress didn’t come in, he was ready to help in any way he could. By the way, NEVER go to Bridal Mansion in Lisle. Excuse me for that…I still haven’t gotten over it.

Anyways, Michael has Metropolis running as a well oiled machine. The food was incredible. It is not your typical reception hall food. The service was immaculate. The cocktail hour servers were nonstop, for both the guests and for the personal server for the bridal party in the bridal suite. The bridal party champagne toast upon arrival was nice too. Michael kept the whole night running like clockwork. Lastly, the room itself is just so different than other reception halls. It’s just a fantastic backdrop for all your wedding photos!

We could not be happier with how great everything came together at Metropolis. We have several friends and family who are engaged to be married, and we’ve had several of them tell us that when they picture their “dream wedding,” they’re picturing Metropolis Ballroom.
Wedding: 03/24/2012
4.4/5.0
  • Professionalism:  4.0
  • Flexibility:  4.0
My husband and I were married at Metropolis Ballroom in November 2011. My wedding planner found this gem after we looked at over 20 venues in Chicago. The first time I walked into the ballroom, I was in love and thought it was so beautiful. Hard wood floors, high ceilings, exposed brick, huge outdoor balcony - everything that I was looking for in a wedding venue. Some other perks of Metropolis is that they have tons of free parking next door, it is in a beautiful area in downtown Arlington Heights and very close to hotels. During our planning process, Metropolis made some updates to the venue. They painted and refinished the already gorgeous hardwood floors and in the area where the cocktail hour was held, it was originally two separate rooms. They knocked down the wall separating the two rooms which was a win win for us.
Michael Raymond is the manager and will be your primary point of contact. Some may have differing opinions about Michael but here is my honest opinion as the bride - I liked Michael Raymond a lot and believe that it always strived to make the bride happy even if that means stepping on some toes. I read in another review that "every bride needs a Michael" and I couldn't agree more.

Over the next 6 months, we emailed and met with Michael about different things such as our vendors, the timeline, linens, the menu, decor, etc. He was very good about getting our questions answered. The Metropolis Ballroom has on-site catering which was great because it is one less thing we had to worry about. We had a great tasting of the menu (we actually had two because we did not like the second part of the meat entree) and had the hors d'oeuvres for cocktail hour tailor made. It was just my husband and I, my in-laws and our wedding planner. The presentation was great and private. Michael was able to come with a new items that were off of the menu to our liking. They were also able to accommodate our vegetarian guests as well as our guests who keep Kosher. The food at the actual wedding was just as delicious as it was at the tasting which was a concern of ours since most weddings do not have good food.

We had a lot of issues with wanting mixed nuts and candies on the tables for cocktail hour and on the tables at the reception before dinner. Michael said that they would provide this for $6 per person. We had 220 guests at our wedding and this was just ridiculous. After much negotiating, we were allowed to bring in our own mixed nuts and candies for the tables which were bought from Costco and saved TONS of money - more than $1,200!!

For our rehearsal, Metropolis Ballroom booked a last minute event so we weren't not able to do it there. We had our rehearsal and dinner at the nearby restaurant, Las Tascas. Michael came and conducted the rehearsal and put me at ease about our wedding the next day. It is free to run a rehearsal and I believe it helps to do a quick walk through.

A few reasons why Metropolis did not get 5 stars:
For setup, Metropolis requests you drop off all decor that you can on the Wednesday before your event. It will be locked in a closet, which was great. More stuff that we didn't have to think about the day before or day of. We were supposed to have access to the bridal suite and setup to start at 3:00 p.m. However, Metropolis squeezed in another an event for the day and it was scheduled to end at 5:00 p.m. and then they would flip the rooms to get ready for our 6:30 p.m. ceremony. Sounds like a lot to do in 90 minutes, right?? They assured us it would not be a problem. In the end, this put us behind for the REST of the night. Not only were our guests left standing around, but Metropolis didn't even open the bar to keep people entertained while they were continuing to set up the room. The late start put us behind schedule for the rest of the evening. Before Michael left for the night, we confirmed with him that because of the late start, it wouldn't be a problem for the party to run longer - which he didn't communicate to the woman who took over for him. This caused unnecessary friction for us, as well as our families. None of us should have had to deal with that.
For some reason even though I was clear that I wanted our cake to be one layer is chocolate cake and one layer is yellow cake with strawberry filing, it was wrong. I only had one bite and didn't love it like the one at the tasting.

All in all, our wedding was gorgeous - the cocktail hour was great, the food was fantastic and the service was good. I would recommend Metropolis Ballroom to other brides and grooms.
Wedding: 11/12/2011
4.2/5.0
  • Quality of Service:  4.0
  • Flexibility:  4.0
I had a beautiful wedding at the Metropolis. They did everything to make sure the night was flawless.
Wedding: 10/29/2011
  • Flexibility:  5.0
The Metropolis and all their staff were absolutely amazing for our wedding. From the first time my husband and I saw the space, we were hooked. The location is perfect, and the venue is absolutely beautiful. There was MORE than enough space for everyone and everything. We loved that they only have one event per night so literally all the attention is given to your wedding rather than some hotels where they were going to have 6+ weddings the night of our wedding. Without saying anything negative about Michael (seriously, he's a great guy!), I will warn you that he wants to have input on everything to do with the wedding. It's a GREAT perk for any couple who feels overwhelmed by the whole wedding planning process. I think if I asked him, he would have literally gone dress shopping with me. :) Use him! Ask him any questions, ask for his input, he's there to help! Michael makes sure all the events run smoothly; it's his job to make everything perfect, and that's his intention. The night of our wedding was absolutely perfect. Everything went as planned and the staff was amazing. Helena was our event manager for the night, and she was beyond awesome. There was not one complaint we had about anything that night. Without hesitation I would recommend the Metropolis to any couple looking for a unique venue. It's not going to be the cheapest venue out there by any means, but you pay for what you get. Your money will be very well spent at the Metropolis. We literally had probably 90% of our guests tell us it was the best wedding with the best food they have ever been to. Thanks Metropolis; you pulled through for us!
Wedding: 09/10/2011
4.6/5.0

Lauren 1 Reviews
I had my wedding at the Metropolis in August of this year. I can't say enough good things about the Metropolis. We had an afternoon reception on a Saturday, and the venue was beautiful with so much natural light. Our pictures all turned out incredible. We had 200 guests, and there was enough space to fit everyone comfortably without feeling like there was too much extra space. The food was delicious, and I received so many compliments about the courtesy of the waitstaff and the quality of food.

I didn't give the venue 5 stars across the board for two reasons. First, when I saw the venue for the first time, the chairs were dark blue, and I noticed holes in the fabric of the chairs from overuse. This caused a debate between my mother and I as to whether we should rent chair covers or the fancier chivari chairs for an additional price. I decided that the money could be spent on something more important and decided not to rent special chairs. On the day of the wedding, however, half of the chairs were new and black and the other half were the old dark blue. In truth, I'm sure I was the only person who noticed the black versus blue chairs, but I would have been much happier to have had all of the chairs be new and black.

My second reason was that email communication was a bit slow. With planning my wedding from St. Louis, I had to rely on email for my communication with all my vendors. Emails from the Metropolis were always a bit slower than from my other vendors. However, phone calls were always promptly returned and always made me feel like the wedding was going to be a huge success. My suggestion--correspond by phone or in person.

When it comes to Michael Raymond, the wedding coordinator, I believe every bride needs a Michael. At the beginning, he just listened to me and showed me how to make all my wishes a reality. I never felt pushed, and he worked really hard to put together a menu that fit my budget. He also has a great deal of knowledge about etiquette. His tips and pointers helped us be socially graceful at our reception. He organized who would be speaking at the wedding in what order so that no one would be offended, and he even gave my fiancee and I a dance lesson. The wedding reception was like clockwork; I just got to sit back and enjoy the ride. The Metropolis was beautiful, but I think that Michael really made the reception everything we had imagined.

Overall, I would highly recommend this venue to other brides; I would choose this venue again without hesitation.
Wedding: 08/27/2011
2.6/5.0
  • Quality of Service:  3.0
  • Responsiveness:  2.5
  • Professionalism:  3.0
  • Value:  1.5
  • Flexibility:  3.0
Quality of Service->Waitstaff very nice and attentive during the wedding reception.
Responsiveness->Not very good, don't answer emails or phone calls the way someone handing over $20,000 should be answered.
Professionalism->Once again, waitstaff and bartenders right on top here.
Value-->$20,000 minimum...you do the math
Flexibility-> Not much room to move. It is what it is. Make sure you get everything in writing.
Wedding: 07/16/2011
  • Flexibility:  5.0
The Metropolis Ballroom was the perfect venue for our wedding. Everything ran smoothly and elegantly. I never worried about a thing. The staff was courteous & professional in both attire & attitude. I felt like they were apart of the wedding instead of working at it. I would not change a thing about this venue & we highly recommend it to others.
Wedding: 05/20/2011
4.7/5.0
  • Flexibility:  5.0
I just had my wedding at the Metropolis Ballroom on 10/23/10 and could not be more THRILLED with how it turned out!! The space is just beautiful - we were so sick of looking at the standard ballrooms with the ugly carpet and outdated everything, the ballroom at the Metropolis is breathtaking with it's high ceilings and wood floor (you can some of our pictures at vraiblog.com)

Michael guided us through the process from start to finish. We didn't have it in our budget for a wedding planner but we clearly didn't need one. I was surprised at how involved he was, he was constantly giving us ideas for decorating and was very good at returning our many emails. He even accompanied us to the florist on several occasions! Everything went off without a hitch - the appetizers were plentiful and delicious (loved the scallops!), food was awesome (I recommend the London Broil), cake turned out perfect, and Michael along with Halina made sure to keep us on schedule without being the least bit bothersome. All of our guests told us they had a great time. One of my bridesmaids just got engaged and now she's seriously considering having the reception at the Metropolis as well!

For future brides, I would highly recommend the Metropolis for your wedding. Go see the space for yourself and meet Michael - you won't be disappointed by either of them.
Wedding: 10/23/2010
 847-870-8787
Please let this vendor know
you found them on WeddingWire