McMenamins Kennedy School

McMenamins Kennedy School

Come have fun in school...for once.

5736 NE 33rd Avenue
(4.8 / 5.0)
Flexibility:
(4.9 / 5.0)
  • Flexibility: 5.0

This was the venue for my ceremony and reception, which I had in the same room. It was super easy and stress free! They removed some of the tables from the dance floor after the ceremony to accommodate the reception dancing. We had a bar, and food, and both were delicious! The venue was really fun and beautiful. We received so many compliments on it!!

• Wedding: 11/08/2014
Services Used: Rehearsal Dinner Location
Kelsey
  • Flexibility: 5.0

Just married there! Everything about it was fantastic. Everyone we worked with was a joy to work with and everyone seemed vested in making our event a success. And it was. We used the outdoor courtyard and gym for our reception, ceremony, buffet dinner and dancing. We got lots of compliments on our choice of venue from our guests. Can't say enough good about this place.

• Wedding: 07/26/2014
  • Flexibility: 5.0

It will be really difficult to write a review that can accurately convey my satisfaction, and even pride, in choosing the Kennedy School for our wedding and reception. That may seem like an overstatement, but even two months later, I have friends and relatives regularly point out how excellent the experience was here.

Firstly, I had to plan long-distance, and Amanda was assigned to us, as our coordinator. She very patiently explained the process, indulged my million questions, coached us on the layout, and worked with my parents extensively on the menu and the contract details. She was very responsive, and made me feel well taken-care-of throughout the whole process.

The building itself was outstanding. I really loved it, and it really spoke to my and my husband's personalities. The quirky artwork, many bars, and general feel of the hotel and venue could not have been more perfect for us. It was really nice to be able to offer hotel rooms for out-of-towners or those who indulged too heavily, too. When we checked in the day before, not only did my fiance and I have a gift bag, but my parents did, too. We really felt like they rolled out the red carpet for us, and really bent over backward to accommodate us.

Now, for the most important part: the day of the wedding. The bartenders were attentive (we had two, for the whole evening, and no one had to wait to get a drink), the caterers made sure the buffet was filled, and no one went hungry (trust me). The food was good, but not mind-blowing (not many buffets are, let's be honest). The beer, though, cannot be beat :-) . The main asset of the Kennedy School is its people, but the building itself really provided the ambiance.

I loved getting married at the Kennedy School, and would absolutely, 100%, without reservations, recommend this to anyone who would listen.

• Wedding: Recently Married
  • Flexibility: 5.0

We could not have been more happy with the Kennedy School for our wedding venue! For the price this venue beats any other in the Portland area. Fun environment, unique aesthetic, and amazing staff made our day one to remember. Such a wonderful weekend! Thank you to everyone at the Kennedy School for making our event seem effortless.

• Wedding: 05/25/2014
  • Flexibility: 5.0

Absolutely loved this venue! The staff were so helpful and friendly. The event coordinator was amazing. We LOVED the fact that we weren't having to pay to rent the space so long as we spent a certain amount in food/alcohol. We saved SO much by having our wedding here. The venue set everything up and took everything down. The whole process was so painless and worry free. There were no hidden fees. The space was so beautiful. The day could not have been more amazing. I would HIGHLY recommend the Kennedy School.

• Wedding: Recently Married
Services Used: Rehearsal Dinner Location
  • Flexibility: 5.0

I knew I wanted to get married at the Kennedy School from the first time I went there for a movie. It's quirky, beautiful, and has amazing beer. I worked with Amanda in the sales department. She was so responsive, helpful, friendly, and wonderful. They took care of everything and I always knew what to expect. My wedding day was perfect.

We were married in the gymnasium courtyard and had the reception inside the gymnasium. The value for this venue is insane. Everything else I looked at was laughably more expensive. The food was fantastic (I had a ton of compliments) and everything went as planned. I highly recommend this venue to everyone.

• Wedding: 03/15/2014
  • Flexibility: 5.0

We wanted a relaxed backyard wedding, but we don't have a backyard... The Kennedy School made our day so easy. The space is fun and doesn't require tons of decoration (although you certainly can). The food was great, we did a taco bar and a full hosted bar, and we came in under budget! The staff took great care of us, and everything went really smoothly. They only glitches were things that we mucked up, like forgetting to cut the cake. It was also really wonderful to be able to have guests stay in the hotel, our room was really fun. I can't recommend them enough, especially if you want to have a laid back party on a budget, that doesn't feel like you're on a budget.

• Wedding: 09/29/2013
Am
  • Flexibility: 5.0

As soon as we saw the Kennedy School, we knew it was the place for us. The ability for friends and family to stay the night, combined with fun and quirky atmosphere was exactly right for us. My wedding party and family thoroughly enjoyed spending the night before and night of the wedding around the different bars and restaurants.
The price was also a good selling factor. After spending a minimum amount, the room fee was waived.
I was a little hesitant about not being able to taste the food, but it was great! We received so many compliments on dinner!
The staff was amazing, since we were running a little ahead of schedule after dinner, they were very flexible and moved our "room reset" and "cake cutting" times up an hour when we requested it.
Overall, I couldn't imagine having our wedding at another venue, it was just amazing!!!

• Wedding: 09/21/2013
  • Flexibility: 5.0

The perfect venue for a one stop shop. The value is amazing, our guests loved staying in the old classrooms, and it was a magical day. All we did was add centerpieces & a few flourishes and the Kennedy School took care of everything else.

• Wedding: 09/16/2013
  • Flexibility: 5.0

Kennedy School was wonderful! The staff was extremely helpful and professional--from the event coordinator who answered lots of questions for me while I was planning my wedding from abroad, to the day of coordinator who helped my family and friends set up the morning of, to the food servers who also (unasked) kept the tea lights on all our tables topped up and lit! The food was really good too, all my guests loved it. Finally, the space its self was really unique and flexible--having both an inside and outside space with lots of history! It was perfect for our fun but elegant wedding. Plus, as 75% of our guests were from out of town, people could stay at the hotel right on site and we all hung out in the bar post-wedding party! I would recommend Kennedy School to any bride.

• Wedding: 1+ year ago
1 Review
  • Flexibility: 5.0

We had the best time and the staff were very professional and on top of things. We did not have one complaint. They made the day so easy, the food was wonderful, and the space was set up perfectly. I would absolutely recommend this venue for anyone that wants a unique and stress-free wedding.

• Wedding: 08/18/2012
  • Flexibility: 5.0

The Kennedy School Gym was our venue choice for our wedding reception, and it ended up being perfect! Our theme was costume/masquerade, and the quirky, creative touches that all McMenamins establishments have worked well. We worked with Erica at the Kennedy School, and she was prompt in her responses and was ready and able to answer any questions in a timely manner. The fee was extremely competitive for this venue, and I would have another event there if the need comes up! We now plan on going there at least monthly just because we are so fond of the place, it's food, it's staff, and it's memories!

• Wedding: 10/24/2010
Services Used: Catering, Ceremony & Reception Venue, Event Rentals & Photobooths
  • Flexibility: 5.0

The Kennedy School was the perfect venue for our wedding. They took care of all the set-up, take-down, and of course the food. As with all McMenamin's the food was fabulous (as was the beer and wine) and the service was wonderful. We were married in the courtyard and had our reception in the gymnasium and the staff even moved the BBQ grill for our wedding (we had the BBQ dinner for us and the moved the whole set-up so there was no smoke near us). It was so nice to have someone work wiht me so closely to make sure everything was perfect. I would go back to the Kennedy School for any big event and use their catering and venue spaces.

• Wedding: 06/21/2008
4.8/5.0
  • Value: 4.0
  • Flexibility: 5.0

We loved having our wedding here and would definitely recommend it to anyone looking for a great wedding space. The Kennedy School does all its own catering, which worked out great for us with one less thing to have to try to coordinate. The food was good, service was excellent and they were very flexible and wonderful with working with us on layouts, options, etc. I loved being able to use the courtyard with the gym, and we have nothing but great things to say!

• Wedding: 1+ year ago
4.2/5.0
  • Quality of Service: 4.0
  • Responsiveness: 4.5
  • Professionalism: 4.0
  • Flexibility: 3.5

I loved this place! I fell in love with it the first time I saw it. It is also a hotel so you can stay there and there is so much character! The location is also great! The only drawbacks have to do with having a large event. They have no bridal suite to get ready in, the space is constantly rented on the weekends so rehearsal was hard, the restrooms are outside of the reception space so the doors are constantly open allowing other hotel guests to come in. But, I wouldn't change my venue for the world! There were just a few inconveniences but the pluses definitely outweighed the negatives!

• Wedding: 08/17/2013
4.1/5.0
  • Quality of Service: 3.0
  • Value: 2.5
  • Flexibility: 5.0

I liked the venue but there was a few discrepancies in the hotels that I had booked and payed for in advance. I liked the site but nothing but the chairs are provided for the ceremony and onlt 32 chiars are provided so if there are more people then that you have to order and pay for additional chairs. For a 3500 minimum there should be more chairs available and at least a trellis or an arch to decorate instead of having to buy those too. altogether I think I spent 4500 on the ceremony and reception site and I had to spend more just to be able to decorate it niceley.

• Wedding: 07/09/2011
503-288-3286
Please let this vendor know you found them on WeddingWire

My Awards