Lighthouse Point Park

• Quality of Service:  3.5
  • Responsiveness:  3.5
  • Professionalism:  2.0
  • Flexibility:  4.0
Before my wedding I read every review about LPP. I was ready for rain, or be freezing or hot as hell, but here are a few things i though id share that i was not ready for.
I'm a Pinterest-ing, hands on bride and wanted to do most things myself. I was ready for anything, or so I though. My plan was to get to lighthouse by 12:30 for my 5:30 with pictures at 4. I had 10 family members and realistically this should have worked. All we had to do was set the tables and decorate then throw my dress on and I would be good to go.
When I got to Lighthouse, to my surprise, the chairs were not out and no one was telling us where they were. My family and I spent and 1 1/2 hours rolling tables and dragging chairs from a storage closet (that no one could find the key to) over to the beach. By the time they were done with that, my family left me to go re-shower. This set me back a ton of time, and made things incredible rushed. This part bothered me a lot. The tables should have been set up as we had been told they would be.

This is just some other stuff I don't want to bit*h about, but though i'd inform others about because it all happened to me,
* while we were setting up, people kept coming in and looking around at all of my decorations and touching things on the tables. I know the carousel is open to the public, but come on, someone needed to be monitoring this kind of stuff.
next...
* People will definitely be walking all around you during pictures. I had one man who was trying to talk to my photographer about what she cost, While we were in the middle of my family photos. People were fishing in the background, walking through pictures and oh yes someone told me later that people were coming from the park and taking and eating food from my vendors..fantastic!
Although I'm not giving a great review, I still did enjoy myself and Lighthouse Point Park was beautiful, and the carousel was lots of fun. I hope other just plan accordingly.

Wedding: 05/24/2014
4.8/5.0
  • Responsiveness:  4.0
  • Flexibility:  5.0
We had our wedding ceremony in front of the Lighthouse at Lighthouse Point Park, and we had our reception at the Carousel. We brought in great BBQ and a live band and proceeded to have, hands down, the best night of our lives! This place is beautiful, its open and spacious, and the most unique place to have a wedding reception! What i liked a lot about this venue is that they do not have a "preferred vendor list" and we had the freedom to hire whoever we want, make and bring whatever we wanted...no rules!! It gave us the freedom to design exactly what we wanted...on the budget we wanted. The contact person for this venue, Sabrina, is super helpful and always seemed willing to answer questions. The staff that ran the event was super helpful and friendly, and they kept that carousel spinning all night long! Our guests were unanimous in their praises that it was the best wedding they had been to, and I couldn't agree more! If you want a venue that is unique and FUN, consider Lighthouse Point Park!
Wedding: 10/12/2013
4.9/5.0
  • Responsiveness:  4.5
  • Flexibility:  5.0
Hands down, this is the most unique, fun and gorgeous reception site in the state. Granted I'm totally biased since we held the greatest reception of all time here, but I've worked in the wedding industry for many years and having set-up hundreds of weddings, I can safely say that this is the PERFECT site for the couple looking for something a little different. Its location on the beach offers a terrific view of Long Island Sound and the inside is spacious, whimsical and airy. It really is a blank canvas, as other reviewers mentioned, and would work with any color scheme and theme. The Carousel runs all night and was an incredible hit with my guests, most of whom hadn't been on one in over 20 years. 2 months later, people are still telling us what a fun and magical reception it was. Sadly, it downpoured on our wedding day, so we were unable to have cocktail hour outside, but the Carousel staff were ready with ample umbrellas to greet guests as they jumped off the buses and mops to soak up any leaks! The bathrooms are located outside, which provided to be an adventure for many guests (probably the only negative, and only because it rained), but I didn't hear anyone complaining. The space is a shell, which again offers creative license, but you do need to bring in a caterer who will build their own kitchen. Even still, I was able to stay well under budget for our whole reception, so I wouldn't let this deter you from checking the space out. They just bought new chairs (so disregard any reviews you see about old chairs) and include the tables you'll need. Sabrina, the primary contact, is very nice and easy to work with. An added bonus (at least for my husband and I) is that part of (or all of, can't remember) the rental fee goes to the continued upkeep of this historic site...major plus! Most importantly, the Carousel gives you a killer background for pictures!
Wedding: 06/07/2013
  • Flexibility:  5.0
Great place to have your wedding. They just got new chairs and of course... The CAROUSEL!!! It was such a stunning day. If you want a beac wedding in New England but are afraid of getting rained out this is the perfect location. Right on the beach but its in an enclosed room. Even if it rains its stunning. Trust me. Sabrina is great and an added bonus...you can run the carousel without the loud carnival music. This is awesome because people can ride during dinner while background music is playing so no one should ever be bored. Sabrina is great. She knows her stuff and is always available.
Wedding: 04/14/2013

Anonymous 6 Reviews
This venue is absolutely breath taking! It is truly a blank canvas, so be prepared to coordinate catering, flowers, dessert, rentals, etc...but it is SO worth it!
Sabrina is the coordinator for the venue and although I communicated primarily via email with her for almost 2 years while planning, she responded promptly and was always happy to help and answer every little question (I had alot)!
During the day this park may seem overcrowded and the venue does not look like anything special, but just wait until it is lit up at night. With the carousel going and right lighting, it is stunning and all my guests are still raving about it. I had some guests say they had been to expensive country/beach clubs and they do not hold a candle to Lighthouse Point. It is simple, yet classy and beautiful all at the same time.
Also, do not worry too much about the weather, on our September wedding we had tornado and thunderstorm warnings. Thankfully the rain held off until after dinner and guests loved watching storm clouds roll in off the sound!
We had 160 guests, about 21 round tables and it was not too crowded or cramped. We used the round tables there and rented folding white wooden chairs which looked very pretty! Definitly recommend this venue, it is so unique and gorgeous!
Wedding: 09/08/2012
4.9/5.0
  • Responsiveness:  4.5
  • Flexibility:  5.0
As soon as I saw this venus I fell in love. I knew this was where I wanted to be. My husband fell in love with it and our beach ceremony followed by our carousel reception was so unique and fun and wonderful! The staff was wonderful, accommodating, and I can not say enough about how happy I am with this location.
Wedding: 05/06/2012
  • Flexibility:  5.0
Our reception at Lighthouse Point Park was magical, an absolutely beautiful celebration. We have received so many compliments on the venue, especially about how it was so unique. The guests LOVED the carousel! I almost cried when the DJ announced the carousel was now operating for the guests and nearly every single one got up and went over to it, it made me so happy to see them so excited to take part in that special part of our reception.
The venue truly is a blank canvas-they provide the building, chairs, tables, and, of course, use of the carousel. You book and bring in everything else. It may seem like a lot to handle, but with time, and even a little help from family, friends, a wedding planner, or (in our case) a wedding coordinator, you will create a beautiful celebration all your own. Sabrina Bruno, the City of New Haven employee you are in touch with during the renting/planning process, was so helpful and so much fun to work with! I highly recommend Lighthouse Point Park for a unique, seaside wedding and/or reception!
Wedding: 05/15/2010
  • Flexibility:  5.0
Lighthouse Point Park is an amazing place. It is a lot different from your typical wedding venue, which is exactly what we wanted. It's on the beach, has a beautiful lighthouse, and the Carousel House with the dance floor has such character! The carousel itself is beautiful, and you may think that's weird to have a carousel at your wedding but you will be shocked how much fun it is and how much your guests will love it. Your pictures look awesome too! It definitely makes for an unforgettable wedding. Plus, it looks so cool with all of the lights on the carousel at night reflecting off the windows that surround the building. Sabrina is really cool and has some great visions that allow you to make the place over to how you want it to look. It's basically a blank canvas that you get to bring your special touches to. Sabrina was so helpful as well as the staff. It was everything we wanted and more. We had planned to get married on the beach but due to the weather had to move it inside, and it was just as beautiful. So as much as you may want a beautiful sunny day there, the rain does not take away the beauty of it b/c there is plenty of room to set up your ceremony inside. The only down side about the place is that the bathrooms are in a separate building right next to the Carousel House. And even though they are park bathrooms, my mother-in-law and I made them over w/ rugs, a nice chair, flowers, etc so that they were a lot more welcoming. Hope this helps.
Wedding: 09/27/2008