John Ball Zoo Bissell Treehouse

(4.5 / 5.0)
Flexibility:
(4.5 / 5.0)
  • Flexibility: 5.0

the perfect location for an intimate reception. beware, if the funicular is broke it takes forever to get your guests up to the top via the shuttle

• Wedding: Recently Married
4.8/5.0
  • Value: 4.0
  • Flexibility: 5.0

My husband and I were lucky enough to book our wedding at the Bissell Tree House. It has become very popular in the last few years so getting a date was not easy. We live in AZ and planned a wedding in Grand Rapids. As you can imagine this makes things a little interesting. We worked with Kristen from day one and she has been absolutely amazing.

The tree house is beautiful and we knew it would be perfect for our ceremony and reception. Our guests agreed! All night long our guests enjoyed the ride up the funicular, hanging out on the balcony and snapping pictures as the sun set over the Grand Rapids skyline.

This place is magical and made our perfect day even more dreamy. The only thing that made me nervous was that we could not get into the space until a few hours before the ceremony, but looking back I chose a few great people to decorate the place exactly how I wanted it and it turned out perfect! This is the best place to rent in GR! You will not be disappointed!

• Wedding: 07/11/2014
  • Flexibility: 5.0

This place is beautiful with a top notch staff. Anthony was great to work with, answered all of my questions quickly, and there were many during the 6 month lead up to the wedding. Did I mention it is gorgeous up there? It was perfect for both the ceremony and the reception. Only drawback that I can think of is it is a little tough to do your own music as the hookup to the PA system is behind a wall, next to the kitchen. I had to arm 2 people with walkie-talkies to get the music right, one to run the ipod and one to give the ques from outside.

• Wedding: 06/29/2014
4.2/5.0
  • Quality of Service: 4.0
  • Value: 4.0
  • Flexibility: 3.0

The tree house is outstanding. It is a fabulous venue at great place. The flexibility score was lower just due to some of the restrictions that this venue has in comparison to others, including limited hours available for use with large up-charge for more, only being able to use certain caterer, only being able to do rehersal dinner for free IF no one else is renting and only between 9-5, etc. The value was not a 5 because it is very expensive for a short amount of time. My main complaint from the night of the wedding was the air conditioning was either non-existent or not working well, which caused most people to spend the night outside and that left the dance floor nearly empty.

• Wedding: Recently Married
  • Flexibility: 5.0

Such a beautiful place! And they are easy to work with!

• Wedding: 04/05/2014
  • Flexibility: 5.0

The Bissell Tree House as the John Ball Zoo is the perfect place to hold your wedding! We held our ceremony & reception in the same location! Because we did not live in the area we did a majority of our planning by email. Kristen, our point person, responded to emails promptly, was super accommodating & helpful throughout the whole planning process. Also she went out of her way to contact all of our vendors to make sure that they knew where to go & park. She helped us from start to finish; and was even present on the day of our wedding.
The venue is beautiful since it is only a little over a year old. It's in perfect condition. You take a funicular to get up to the venue in the trees & can see wonderful views of the Grand Rapids skyline. We had planned to hold our ceremony outside on their covered balcony, but due to chilly October weather we moved it all inside & it was absolutely perfect! No one was the wiser & everyone was comfortable. There was plenty of room to hold our ceremony & have the reception all set up & ready to use right after we were finished. & their staff removed the chairs from the dance floor swiftly & without anyone noticing that it had happened.
I really cannot express how happy we were with everything! It was the perfect location to hold our wedding & everyone loved it!

3.7/5.0
  • Quality of Service: 4.0
  • Professionalism: 4.0
  • Value: 3.0
  • Flexibility: 2.5

I attended a wedding at the bissel tree house. After having a few drinks I was then Carded as they had switched bar tenders. Why was the bar outside? They never called last call inside. It's a beautiful place, but tables were smashed in, head table had no room to even fit behind table. Wrong chairs for this place! Funicular was beautiful as was bissel treehouse. Just some things to keep in mind, no one likes cramped, and be nice.

1 Review
  • Flexibility: 5.0

Anthony was AWESOME. They did change the price of a few things, but he did make sure to give me the heads up. I also booked prior to them upping the rental price, so it was well worth the money. Perfect view, my guest loved the funicular and I had no worries at all. It's also nice to know I can always go back and visit. :)

• Wedding: 08/16/2013
  • Flexibility: 5.0

Anthony was a huge help and took a load off my shoulders.

4.2/5.0
  • Value: 3.0
  • Flexibility: 3.0

Bissell Tree House is one of the most beautiful venues in Michigan. My husband and I went to the John Ball Zoo for our first date so we knew that we had to get married and have our reception at the new Tree House. I would not recommend it if you have more than 100 guests as it is not a large venue (we had 50 and it was lovely). We were married out on the terrace and it was beautiful. The whole venue is very modern and beautiful. The sight of Grand Rapids lit up in the background is incredible. The funicular is a little shaky but I don't think anyone minded. My only negative (and its a big negative) is that you cannot set up until 2 hours before your booking. We ended up paying extra for a few extra hours. As it was I was running around getting all the tables and decorations ready, then raced back to the hotel, got dressed and back to the wedding just in time. They do this so that you pay more $$$ to set up early. It is a rip off but the venue is so beautiful we all go along with it.

• Wedding: 05/24/2013
  • Flexibility: 5.0

We had our wedding at the tree house and it was absolutely beautiful. Anthony was our contact for the wedding and he was extremely helpful. He contacted all our vendors, gave them directions to the tree house, set up dates for them to come view the place, etc. It was kind of like having a built in wedding planner free of charge! We were really disappointed when the Funicular broke for our big day, but they gave us the Grand Rapids trolley free of charge and it was so cute, everyone loved it, and they worked great to get people up to the tree house.

My only complaint was that they wouldn't close the bathroom to the public, so my bridesmaids and I had to change and do our hair and makeup in a small bathroom shared with the public who had made their way up to the tree house.

Other than that, everything was wonderful. I would highly recommend this place to anyone. The pictures turned out beautiful with the gorgeous building and gorgeous view. You cannot go wrong with this venue!! It's a beautiful location and the staff is extremely helpful. Wonderful!

• Wedding: 2+ years ago
Anonymous
4.7/5.0
  • Quality of Service: 3.5
  • Flexibility: 5.0

A beautiful venue and the Zoo staff was lovely to work with. We were a bit disappointed that the funicular was not working on the day of our reception, but the Zoo did provide a trolley to drive our guests from the parking lots up to the Tree House. Not as fun, but it was an acceptable Plan B that they had ready and waiting for us.

• Wedding: 09/01/2012
Cathrin
616-336-4314
Please let this vendor know you found them on WeddingWire
4.7