In Good Taste-Cakes and Cupcakes

4.2
Value
Flexibility
1.5

We received a wedding cake from Beth that was NOTHING like the samples we had tried in our original tasting. The original samples were amazing, but the cake we received was dry, stale, and our strawberry cake was brown. The shape of the top tier was also wrong, and she knew it was wrong before she delivered it to us. The cake did look like we wanted it to, but the design was not hard and it could have been done by any other cake designer. She guarantees her work, so we discuss our problems with her. Her solution was to give us only 1/8th of our money back, claiming that decorating the cake was the most expensive part, and since we liked the way the caked looked, she could not refund us that money. The wedding cake is an iconic part of a wedding and even thought it looked good, every time I see the pictures, I am reminded of the bad experience that I had with it. I will never use this bakery again!

In Good Taste-Cakes and Cupcakes responded with the following comments:

When this client's husband brought the cake to me to try after the wedding he even admitted that it seemed to be fine and I was perplexed as to what to do to make them happy as the cake was NOT state or dry when I tasted it then and her husband and I discussed that. He agreed that both samples he brought were moist and that the strawberries were easily seen in the cake. Since it was not dry or stale as they had tried to convey, I did what anyone would do and gave them a nominal refund to try and make them happy. It shoudl be noted that there was even still another flavor int he cake - mandarin orange, they had no complaints about it expressed at all. The only real complaint they had that was 100% valid was that the topper was round rather than square. The cake actually looked better as there were no corners hanging over the edges, but they did pay for square so I refunded the difference in servings in their refund amount. As to the comment that any designer could have made this cake... I spent about 10 hours making custom gumpaste palm trees for the top of the cake and several more hours working on realistic sea shells made of chocolate. The design was mine. Another baker could have copied it... sure, but would they have DESIGNED this for them? That remains to be seen.
The strawberry cake WAS a bit less pink than their original tasting but by no means was it lacking in flavor. My apprentice should have added a glaze which would have pinked it up. Then again, so would have pink food coloring. The flavor was still the same as they had at their tasting as the recipe was exactly the same sans the glaze or food coloring. There were huge pieces of strawberries throughout the cake... Unmistakably strawberry and there would have been real strawberries in every bite. This couple also admitted that only about 1/2 of their guests showed for their reception so they were left with a large amount of cake as a result. I cannot control how much cake is left. The refund was more than fair. The decoration of the cake took a huge number of hours and resources compared to the actual cake itself to which I could find little credibility to their complaint when I tasted it myself. Hiring a professional cake designer means you are getting a one of a kind design. The design IS what takes the time. Yes, flavor is also important. In this case they got both. Not sure what I could have done but I am not in the business of making cakes for free. I am concerned that this is what they were wanting.

Services Used: Wedding Cake

My wedding cake was perfect. It was exactly what I wanted, and it tasted delicious! It was about half the price of all the other bakers I had visited. I highly recommend In Good Taste!

Services Used: Wedding Cake

Beth is the BEST cake maker in ALL of OHIO!!! Her cakes are soft, moist, and do NOT taste like they came from a box, like many other stores and "home-made" shops! She uses all natural ingredients (her homemade strawberry glaze is incredible). Her cakes are the only one that my new husband will let me get now!

Beth is the kindest, sweetest and most understanding person that I have met during my wedding. She truly listened to what I wanted, never once did she try to tell me what I should have or what I "needed" to do. She was even willing to work within my tight budget. Hiring her was the best wedding decision that I made after telling my husband "I do".

Let me put it in perspective:
No one asked or would accept the leftover food; but EVERYONE was trying to take extra cake slices!

Services Used: Wedding Cake

In Good Taste- Cakes and cupcakes has the best tasting and most unique flavors that I have ever seen. Beth was amazing in planning a extravagant, out of this world cake that our guest could not stop talking about. Our favorite cake was the "carmel apple cake"... thats what I called it. Its a brown sugar sort of like pound cake with baked apples in the cake and an baked apple filling... best cake I have ever tasted. We got 2 sheet cakes and a 4 tiered cake and it fed over 200 people and we had plenty left. If you are unsure about a cake maker for you party, wedding, or baby shower.. .I highly suggest In Good Taste. Very professional and she really worked with our view of our wedding. Such a sweet artsy woman... I am very happy with the results. :)

Services Used: Wedding Cake

This birthday cake was the hit of the party. My kids are still talking about it! They thought the Cake Boss had made the cake!