Huntsville Texas State Park

• Responsiveness:  1.0
  • Professionalism:  0.5
  • Value:  0.5
  • Flexibility:  0.5
The location was beautiful, right on the lake and it just added to the ceremony. However, the inside where the reception was held was dirty! There were roaches and dead bugs everywhere. I had hoped they would clean the hall for us but they didnt so on the day of my wedding, I was left to sweep and pick up the dead bugs! They provided chairs and tables but they were hideous!! The tables we used and covered but they werent good quality. They were plastic, some of the tops were coming off, it just wasnt good! The chairs looked like someone pooped in them. And they had roller-wheels on the bottoms of them. I think if they are going to have weddings, they should try to make it more approachable. We spent $250 for friday to decorate and $250 for saturday (the day of) and as a paying customer, I expected a little more and it just wasnt there. The bathrooms werent attractive at all! The lights in there werent working, the toilets hardly flushed, it just wasnt what I had expected.
Wedding: 05/12/2012
Services Used: Ceremony & Reception Venue
4.5/5.0
  • Quality of Service:  5.0
  • Responsiveness:  4.0
  • Professionalism:  4.5
  • Value:  5.0
  • Flexibility:  4.0
Located right outside of Houston, Raven's Lodge at Huntsville State Park provided a beautiful location set right alongside a serene lake. The venue is not huge, but comfortably had room to accommodate about 100 guests and wedding party members. Best of all, the venue was extremely affordable... $250/day! Since we had a very diy wedding with no hired help except for photography, we rented the building for two days. One of which days we used to set up. We had the building and surrounding patio area from 9am- 10 pm each day.

We stupidly had scheduled our wedding on a busy holiday where the park rangers had to turn away many visitors. Fortunately the park rangers were extremely sympathetic and allowed us to block off a large section of parking for our guests and also helped direct traffic to allow our guests into the park. Normally, there is a $4 entry fee per person to enter the park but they gave us a discount, $1 per person, kept a tally for us, and allowed us to come back and pay the tab after the wedding.

The only draw back was that we had to have the venue cleaned up and everyone out before 10pm, when the park gates closed to avoid getting locked in the park. Small price to pay for such a beautiful and cosy setting for a joyful wedding. You can have an after wedding party elsewhere after all.

If you have a tight wedding budget, I highly recommend looking into state parks. It is definitely affordable, and it helps to keep our parks in business. The park rangers at Huntsville State Park, in particular, are wonderful to work with. We can't thank them enough for stepping in where they didn't have to, to give us a helping hand. Our wedding could not have run do smoothly and beautifully without their help!

Wedding: 05/28/2011