Historic Inns of Annapolis

Responsiveness
Professionalism
Value
Flexibility

As the mother of the groom, I was not involved with the planning process but when we arrived for the reception, the dining room was decorated beautifully. We were able to use the patio which was great for people who wanted to be outside. The food was delicious and the portions large. The filet was so tender, the crab cakes were full of large chunks of crab and the lamb was perfectly cooked. The side dishes too were cooked just right and tasted great. I have no complaints whatsoever! I would highly recommend this venue for a wedding or other event.

Recently Married

My wedding was on 4/12/15 at the Governor Calvert House. It was a small wedding and Michelle was very willing to make accommodations for having only about 50 attendees. The venue was absolutely beautiful and the food was delicious. We had multiple people comment on how great of a location it was. Michelle was very responsive to all planning questions and was there for the entire event, which went off without a hitch. I could not have asked for a better ceremony or reception. I would highly recommend this place to anyone looking for a great venue!

Services Used: Ceremony & Reception Venue

Michelle and her team were wonderful! Very responsive to all of my questions, easy to get in touch with. She was there the whole weekend and fully focused on our wedding and making sure it was perfect! I highly recommend her.

The booking of guest rooms was a bit tricky at times, so be sure to start that process early!

Services Used: Catering, Ceremony & Reception Venue, Lighting & Decor
10/04/2014

Michelle helped my groom and his parents plan the perfect Rehearsal Dinner. The food was delicious, the service was fantastic, it was a great start to the wedding weekend. I would highly recommend them. We wanted our reception here, but they were booked, so we are glad that they were able to accommodate us! My advice to future brides, contact them early as they do book quickly! (We were engaged 9/6/13 and I called 9/9/13 to see if they were available for 10/4/14 and they were already booked!

Services Used: Ceremony & Reception Venue, Rehearsal Dinner Location

My daughter's wedding reception was held at the Calvert House and it couldn't have been more perfect. Not only is the venue beautiful, Michelle and her staff were amazing. Michelle is professional in every way and did all she could to accommodate and work with us to make the day as special as it was. I knew that having Michelle there to make sure all went smoothly, we had nothing to worry about except enjoying the most incredible day in our lives. Not only was it a perfect setting, the food was delicious and the staff could not have been more professional, helpful and so nice! Our guests are STILL talking about what a wonderful time they had and how much they loved everything about the Calvert House. We cannot thank all of them enough - we walked away with memories we will never forget and will cherish for the rest of our lives.

Recently Married

We had our July wedding at the Governor Calvert House and would highly recommend this venue to anyone who is looking for a venue with lots of historical charm and character! We had many out of town guests that stayed at the Historic Inns and they all loved the venue and the town of Annapolis.

We held almost all wedding weekend events at the Inns: we held a Friday night dessert reception at the Maryland Inn; held our ceremony, cocktail hour, and reception at the Gov. Calvert House; and also a farewell Sunday breakfast at the Gov. Calvert House -- it was the perfect wedding weekend! Michelle and her staff at the Inns were such a pleasure to work with. The weekend ran so smoothly and went off without a hitch. I had so many vendors tell me that I was in good hands with Michelle, and they were right! She was super responsive throughout the planning process, handled the rehearsal and day of coordination with ease, and was also super helpful during the planning stages by recommending many great local vendors that we ultimately ended up booking. If you go with the venue, would also recommend renting the cafe lights - makes for great photos and many guests told us they felt like they were "in a movie." We could not be happier with our venue selection!

Services Used: Ceremony & Reception Venue

I just had my wedding and reception at The Historic Inns of Annapolis at The Governor Calvert House. This venue was absolutely perfect for our small wedding ceremony and reception (55 people in attendance). We had a Friday evening wedding and the cost was very affordable compared to other locations we considered. The venue itself is beautiful and requires very little extra decoration although we did decide to go with stringing some overhead lights. The food was fantastic (heavy hors d'oeuvres), the setting was gorgeous, and the event staff were so easy to work with. Overall, it was absolutely lovely. I would highly recommend it as a wedding and/or reception location.

I also have to mention that Michelle, the Events Coordinator, was responsive, flexible, professional and helpful. I enjoyed working with her. She made sure everything was organized. I did not have to worry about a thing. As a bride, that is invaluable.

The only difficulty I ran into had nothing to do with the event planning side of things. Rather it occurred in securing the room block and making sure the reservation process went smoothly for my guests. Everything worked out just fine but you may want to be sure you are clear about the terms and conditions up front (especially about the two night minimum on weekends). Make sure you get your questions answered upfront even if it takes a little extra leg work. Overall, with extra communication, it all worked out and they did work with me.

It is also important to note that several of my guests were unable to make it due to cancelled travel. The front desk/managerial staff were accommodating and understanding. They made an effort to work with me and my guests regarding cancelled reservations. In addition, they were extremely helpful the day of the event.

Again, I would highly recommend the Historic Inns of Annapolis as a venue.

Services Used: Ceremony & Reception Venue

First off, we looked at multiple venues in Annapolis. We live in North Carolina and my husbands family was from Annapolis. So I thought planning a wedding from out of state was going to be super stressful and difficult.

Michelle made my wedding planning SO easy. Talk about being on her game, she was awesome. Professional, caring, and a good resource for information. She was fast to respond to all emails and get my answers for any questions that myself or my family had during the planning.

This is THE prettiest venue in Annapolis. It needs the least amount of flowers to make the space stunning, because it already it.
The prices per plate were actually reasonable as well. (about $95-100)
I will forever be thankful to Michelle for making my wedding day and planning run so smoothly.

1+ year ago

We held our wedding reception at Governor Calvert House in April, and it was everything we could have dreamed of, and more. My husband and I knew GCH was the venue for us during our first visit! We looked at each other and said, "this is the one!" The venue is in an amazing location in downtown Annapolis, and has the most wonderful classic atmosphere. Michelle is their coordinator, and she is the best! She is extremely responsive and organized; she was always exceeding our expectations. The rest of the staff is just as wonderful - every person we interacted with was so helpful and friendly. Our guests had a wonderful time, and the guests that stayed overnight had a great experience with the hotel as well. The food is so delicious! Our guests were raving about it, and the hors d'oeuvres in particular. Every part of the night was so amazing, and we were able to enjoy every minute of it because Michelle and the staff had everything under control. We highly recommend this venue! We wish we could do our wedding there all over again. :)

Services Used: Catering, Ceremony & Reception Venue

10 out of 10 A+++. Michelle and her staff at the Governor Calvert House and historic inns of Annapolis are an exceptional crew that can accommodate any of your wedding needs. The staff was flexible and responsive, and we surely out them to the test, with a wedding of 200+ guests, and nearly all of their hotel rooms booked by our wedding guests. They ordered all custom tables, chairs, and place settings for our reception dinner, facilitated a decadent food tasting prior to the reception, and we're consummately flexibility to our every desire. During the weekend, we had full access to the facility and the resources of Michelle and her staff, and she truly goes above and beyond to make your wedding worry free. Would recommend again and again, and my only complain is that our reception seemed to go by too quickly as every detail was perfectly executed. -Ria and Wes

Services Used: Catering, Ceremony & Reception Venue, Party Supplies, Wedding Planning
Betsy
11/16/2013

I just had my wedding at the the Governor Calvert House last month, and I cannot say enough positive things about the venue, and the wonderful Director, Michelle Vellon. Michelle was so detail oriented and patient and made every last small detail we requested happen, from linens, to string lights on the porch, to cocktail hour food, special drink requests, picture and chalkboard layouts. She made us feel like family, and we always loved visiting her to get ideas for the wedding. At the end of the day it was such a beautiful looking event with a special charming feel. Our guests said the food and drinks were wonderful (slider bar and risotto stations were a hit!) and they loved the Inn's coziness and apple cider! It was all that we could want and more, and we will definitely be back to visit, stay and would reccommend this venue to anyone looking for charm, delicious food and special touches!

Services Used: Ceremony & Reception Venue

We had our wedding at the Calvert House on September 7, 2013, and it was absolutely perfect! It definitely helped that it was in the upper 70s and sunny, but I think it would have been great in less-than-perfect circumstances, too.

We had cocktail hour on the gorgeous back patio area, which everyone loved. For dinner, we chose the rockfish, chicken with white wine leek sauce, and the filet. During the tasting, my husband and I thought that the food was overcooked, and I felt the same way on the wedding day, but we got great feedback from our guests, so who knows. My husband and I didn't get to partake in the cocktail hour food, but the crab balls especially got rave reviews.

The dancing area was big enough to hold our 8-piece band, and I appreciated that the bars were in the same room as the dance floor so that people weren't taken away from the dancing when they wanted a drink. Our guests also appreciated that they could find quiet places to talk (the back patio or the dining room) if they didn't want to dance. So, the layout of the venue is really perfect.

Michelle deserves all the praise that she's received from the other reviewers. She's very helpful and responsive and did so much work to make our day special. For instance, we wanted to upgrade some of the alcohol and needed props for the reception decorations, and Michelle took care of everything. It's amazing that her services are included in the venue fee! What's nice about Michelle is that she puts on weddings at this venue ALL THE TIME. So, she knows what works best and doesn't have to get acquainted with the space. It makes for a seamless event.

I highly recommend the Calvert House for your wedding. It's a great value and a great location. You and your guests will love it!

Services Used: Ceremony & Reception Venue

The staff are wonderful and the location is picturesque. The filet mignon and other dinner selections were perfectly prepared. Our guests truly enjoyed the weekend.

Services Used: Ceremony & Reception Venue

We just had our ceremony and reception at the Governor Calvert House at Historic Inns. It was everything we could have asked for and more. The atrium was absolutely beautiful. It made for a great backdrop of our ceremony and had plenty of space for dancing and cocktails. The food was great, I'd definitely suggest the crab crakes! Michelle was such a helpful coordinator. She worked with our every request and was quick to answer emails and phone calls. On the day of, she handled all of the details and made sure everything ran smoothly. The night went off without a hitch. Michelle, the catering staff and the valets were so kind and helpful, and our guests definitely noticed the hard work they put in. While I love this venue and would recommend it to anyone, my one reservation is with the room reservations. The majority of our guests were staying in the Inns, and we did have some trouble with some miscommunication - guests were falsely told our block was booked or there were two night minimums. They were very quick to correct any mistakes and were always very kind and apologetic. As with any hotel, I'd recommend staying on top of your room block and making sure you get the important details out to your guests yourself.

Bonnie
1 Review
02/23/2013

My husband and I recently had our wedding at the Gov. Calvert House and it was spectacular. We knew the moment we walked in to the building that this was the venue for us. Truthfully I didn't expect to choose this venue, only because I did not think I wanted a historic site. Was i wrong! I had a couple other venues in Baltimore already in my head, but after seeing the atrium of the Calvert House, i was sold! It is a beautiful room and doesn't require a lot of decoration to be breathtaking. It was the best decision.
Michelle, the event planner, is a joy to work with, as well as Tara from catering. Michelle is extremely responsive, not to mention friendly, and a true professional. She understood my vision and the day of the wedding, i was amazed at just how beautiful everything looked. She is there for every step of the planning and the day of. She ensures that everything goes smooth, she is a dream!
Everyone at the hotel is extremely accommodating. If you don't like something, they will change it, no problem. They will make sure you get your dream wedding. Not only is Michelle fantastic, but so is the hotel manager. He made a point to understand exactly what we wanted and any issues we were having in the planning stage. Any issues were quickly resolved. The wait staff and bartenders are also fantastic. They moved things along swiftly and were so friendly with our guests.
Also, for the bride, there is a nice big room in the back of the atrium to get ready the day of. It's really spacious and comfortable and has a nice huge bathroom with lots of mirrors.
All in all, I highly recommend the Gov Calvert House. If I needed to plan another wedding, i would choose it all over again! The venue, the staff, the price, the location, everything is wonderful!!

Services Used: Ceremony & Reception Venue

I hosted both my ceremony and reception at the Governor Calvert House. Michelle, their catering and event manager, is amazing and did such a wonderful job helping to make my wedding perfect. The food at the Calvert House is wonderful, and as someone who is gluten intolerant, they did a perfect job putting together a menu that I could eat (without scaring off guests!). There ceremony was beautiful and the coordination of the wedding itself was perfect. I couldn't be happier with my decision to host my event at the Governor Calvert House.