Half Moone Cruise & Celebration Center

• Quality of Service: 2.0
  • Responsiveness: 3.0
  • Professionalism: 4.0
  • Flexibility: 3.5

First of all, the rotunda room at the Half Moone is BEAUTIFUL! It's completely surrounded by glass overlooking the Elizabeth river. We were very pleased with the space and our guests were wowed by the sunset river views. With that being said, my overall experience with the Half Moone was subpar. Each individual I encountered was kind and professional, but the main problem I had was there were far too many individuals. I had a different person for the facility tour, for the paperwork and planning, for the rehearsal, and for the actual wedding day. I was constantly confused as to who I was actually supposed to be working with at a given time. I was given some misinformation throughout the process. Nothing ended up being a huge disaster, but it often left me confused and annoyed. There was not a clear line of communication between the different employees. I relied heavily on my caterer to ask questions just to avoid the confusion of the Half Moone. I also completely misinterpreted what their "facility coordinator" was. I believed that this person would be present for both my rehearsal and wedding, and that she would be educated on how a wedding should run. However, I had two separate people for these nights and their primary responsibility was just unlocking the doors. My next qualm about the Half Moone is the lack of parking. Guests must pay to park in nearby garages. Yet, I knew this prior and chose the venue regardless. It's not a deal breaker but does add some inconvenience for your guests. I would not say that my experience was a failure, we still had a beautiful wedding day. Although were I to do it all over again, I can't say confidently that I would choose this as my wedding venue again.

• Wedding: 04/05/2014
4.8/5.0
  • Flexibility: 5.0

I used Half Moone upon the recommendation of my planner, sight unseen, and couldn't have made a better choice for the area. The ceremony and reception were held in the atrium, and it was stunning. From the first walk through everyone was professional and assured me they would do everything possible to make my event a happy one. The outdoor deck was perfect for cocktail hour, and general extra moving around room. It make for some beautiful pictures, imagine the water, boats, and Portsmouth skyline at sunset. They have a huge space, and I entered using the loading ramp plus service elevator. Not as dirty as it sounds. On my wedding day it was like I had two planners, the venue representative goes above and beyond. Overall a great, beautiful venue.

• Wedding: 08/02/2013
4.5/5.0
  • Responsiveness: 4.0
  • Flexibility: 3.5

Since my husband proposed right in front of this gorgeous building it was the only place we even considered to have our reception. We also loved how it is a very unique venue which showcases the area's beautiful waterfront which was important to us as 70% of our guests were coming in from out of town. It is also the only City of Norfolk event rental property that includes both tables and chairs in the rental fee, which can be a big savings. Overall we had a great experience with the Half Moone staff and Dana Mayo was instrumental in helping us find our caterer, and our guests are still talking about how beautiful the place was and how they loved the spectacular view of the Elizabeth River.

However, I was a little disappointed with the interaction I recevied from my specific event coordinator...I know they are very busy but all of my other vendors were quick to respond to emails and phone calls and were proactive in contacting us just to "stay in touch" with us throughout the planning process. The other thing was during our reception the DJ came over to ask if we wanted to extend the reception to 10:30, maybe 11 (originially scheduled to end at 10) and saying yes, I thought we were all set to go and the next thing I know (like 10 minutes later) the lights were coming on!! The whiirlwhind of breakdown that followed rushed everyone out of the building very quickley and we did not get a chance to say goodbye to the majority of our guests which was upsetting to us. While I thought it was very odd that the venue would not let us extend (after all we would have ended up paying them for the extra hour) the thing that annoyed me the most was no one from the venue had the courtesy of letting me know that our request was going to be denied.

I would not call this a deal breaker but I would recommend that you clear the air about possibly extending your reception (if you think you might want to) way ahead of time so you aren't surprised like we were.

• Wedding: 01/12/2013
4.8/5.0
  • Quality of Service: 4.5
  • Flexibility: 4.5

Half Moone is a GORGEOUS venue! After the wedding, everyone raved about how beautiful it was. Lisa is great to work with and was always prompt in getting back to me. My wedding pictures are great, in part, thanks to this beautiful venue. My only complaint, which wasn't that big of a deal, is that the time for our rehearsal the Friday before the wedding got pushed up because Half Moone booked an event at the last minute. We had to contact everyone to ask them to be there earlier, and all of the participants were from out of town. But overall, it's a great venue.

• Wedding: 09/22/2012
4.6/5.0
  • Flexibility: 4.0

The venue is absolutely beautiful and they have so space to work with. The coordinators were usually always prompt and responsive to all our needs and questions. Flexibility may be hard due to cruise ships coming in or out. It is a bit pricey, but definitely beautiful venue.

• Wedding: 10/07/2011
5.0/5.0
  • Flexibility: 5.0

Words cannot describe what a beautiful space the Half Moone is! The event staff are also wonderful to work with. It was my dream venue for my dream wedding!

• Wedding: 10/01/2011
5.0/5.0
  • Flexibility: 5.0

This is the most spectacular venue in the 7 cities! I searched all around Virginia for that perfect venue to match my wedding vision and after searching, this was lucky number 7. If you want to have a nice elegant wedding over looking the harbor with beautiful floor to ceiling windows... This is the place! It was a dream cometrue, only wishing that I didn't wake up.

• Wedding: 08/21/2011