Gwen's Wedding Cakes

Responsiveness
Professionalism
Value
Flexibility

My husband and I had Gwen make both our wedding cake and the grooms cake for our rehearsal dinner.
To start, the grooms cake was unlike any cake I have ever seen. My husband loves beer (he's a brewer), so she made a cake to look like a beer mug standing on the table. Everyone was blown away; it was so impressive. Topping it off, the cake was delicious and everyone loved it.
Our wedding cake was stunning. We sent Gwen a picture of what we were thinking for our cake after our tasting, and she did a great job meeting our vision. The cake was so good! I'm usually not much for wedding cake, but I loved the cake. It was delicious and I'm sad I didn't have time at our reception to have more! We heard from many of our guests that they loved the cake, too.
Choosing Gwen for your wedding or special occasion cake will be a great decision!

Private User
Recently Married

Gwen made the cake for our 200 person outdoor wedding. The cake was absolutely phenomenal - probably the best cake I have ever had! So many of our guests told me how much they loved the cake. Gwen is great to work with - very flexible, responsive, and reliable. We were able to do 3 different flavors of cake - all of which were amazing. She will work with you to see how you would like to decorate the cake. We also had her deliver the cake - the delivery was smooth and punctual. I highly recommend Gwen's cakes!

Services Used: Wedding Cake

Gwen did an absolutely phenomenal job with our wedding cake. I sent her a picture of my vision and she captured it perfectly (if this let me upload a picture, I would). Not only did it look gorgeous but the taste was incredible! I have known my husband for 9 years and he has always HATED cake, cupcakes, etc. Let me just tell you that he ate not one, but two slices of the strawberry cake at the wedding, and another slice of our leftovers when we got home. Gwen's cakes are THAT good. Pricing is extremely reasonable, her cakes are stunning, and the taste is incomparable. If you are shopping around, look no further! Thank you so much Gwen :)

Services Used: Wedding Cake

Gwen was great with her southern charm! Her cake was absolutely delicious and a big hit at out wedding! If you live in southwest Virginia she's the one you need to call!

From brittany and joe

Services Used: Wedding Cake

Gwen made an absolutely beautiful and delicious "anniversary" cake for my parents 60th Wedding Anniversary. My parents never had a real wedding reception, so we wanted to make the occasion of their 60th Wedding Anniversary very special for them. The cake was beautifully decorated with gorgeous yellow flowers all over it. Gwen was so easy to work with and responded very promptly to any questions I had, as we had to have all our discussions via email since I do not live in the area and would be arriving in town only a few days before the event. The process of choosing a cake, the size we chose, the decorations selected and the payment all went very smoothly. I couldn't be more pleased seeing it when I arrived to pick it up. It was even more beautiful than I had imagined.
My parents were overjoyed. Everyone loved the cake. It really made the special day that much more so for everyone.

Julianne
07/05/2014

I loved our wedding cake! It was beautiful on the outside with the design, ribbon, and icing piping, and it tasted delicious. Since we were married on the fifth of July, it was only fitting that we had a red, white, and blue theme for the cake flavors - strawberry, white, and blueberry. Gwen was easy to work with, the cake tasting was delicious, and she is an experienced baker, with many years of wedding cake making under her belt. I highly recommend her.

Services Used: Wedding Cake

Gwen was so much fun to work with! :) I had her make my wedding cake, groom's cake, and my brother's birthday cake and they were all absolutely delicious!! The wedding cake was raspberry/vanilla and the groom's cake and birthday cake were blueberry, which may seem like odd flavors, but they were absolutely delicious! She uses real fruit to flavor her cakes and at the tasting she gives you a small circular cake with about 8 different flavors for you to try. Our tasting cake had the following flavors: blueberry, raspberry, chocolate raspberry, lemon, strawberry, chocolate, vanilla, and carrot cake. It was extremely hard to pick a flavor because they were all so good! I would highly recommend Gwen as a baker for anyone's wedding that wants to have a gorgeous and delicious cake! You will not be disappointed, I promise! ;)

Services Used: Wedding Cake

Gwen was great to work with and did a phenomenal job with our cake, both in design and taste. She was very easy to work with, coordinated a tasting for us, and was very helpful in recommending flavors, sizes, colors, etc. based on our discussion. She made a fantastic chocolate raspberry groom's cake with a fishing design that everyone loved at the rehearsal dinner, including the caterer! For our wedding cake, we asked her to mimic the complicated paisley design from our wedding invitation and she absolutely knocked it out of the park! We were blown away by her piping and attention to detail, and the cake truly was above and beyond anything we expected or dreamed of. Our guests (who included professional chefs and a catering manager/ wedding planner) continue to rave about how delicious the cake was, and there is heavy competition to join us when we unfreeze the cake top on our 1 year anniversary. We left 2 pieces in our fridge, and the cake still tasted incredible 2 weeks later. I honestly cannot recommend Gwen strongly enough. If you are getting married in the New River Valley, you absolutely MUST check her out!!

Gwen's Wedding Cakes responded with the following comments:

Your cake was a challenge.... I am so happy you loved your cake.
Thank you for the review. Gwen

Services Used: Wedding Cake

We had a beautiful 50th Anniversary cake. It was with yellow roses on it. I let Gwen decorate it as she thought befitting the event. It was absolutely gorgeous. The couple never had a wedding cake on their wedding day. They both were deeply touched, especially the groom. Everyone asked us who made the cake. One friend from our church took a bite and said, "Gwen made this didn't she?" We laughed and said yes, even though we were in a different county than our home church, he still recognized Gwen's baking. It was delicious and the portion size was perfect. Needless to say, some of Gwen's business cards were given out that day.

Ronnie02
08/10/2013

the cake was very delicious and the icing was awesome. Gwen was great and kept us informed at all times, High recommendations for the blueberry cake!!!

Private User
2+ years ago

I had a great experience with Gwen. I have never had such a delicious wedding cake. It was very important for us to get a wedding cake that we wanted to eat. I still can't believe how amazing the taste was. The only reason it is not 5/5 stars is because I thought the piping was sloppy and not very professional. I had asked for a specific design and I don't think we ever really got on the same page with what I wanted my cake to look like. But I wasn't as interested in looks as I was in taste, and that was dead on.

Services Used: Wedding Cake

The entire process was wonderful she is very accommodating, easy to contact and work with. I requested rough icing and wildflowers. I took her the flowers and let her take it from there. The design was stunning, I couldn't have imagined a more perfect cake for our wedding. It survived the 92 degree weather that day and the taste was amazing. So delicious that my husband and I couldn't resist cutting into the topper and we hope to have Gwen make us a mini-cake for our anniversary!

Gwen's Wedding Cakes responded with the following comments:

To future brides with dates outside in the hot weather,
I have a buttercream icing that will withstand the heat.
Lots of cakes will melt down, the cakes made here have the extra
assurance that it will not melt down. I have a process of mixing that will allow this. No worries in hot weather, only suggest silk flowers, because the real ones will wilt and die way before your cake would have a chance to melt.

Anonymous
2+ years ago

Gwen's Wedding Cakes was recommended to me by a friend and I must say I am extremely pleased. The cake was beautifully decorated, even better than I had envisioned and requested. It was also delicious. My family and friends are still talking about it.

Services Used: Wedding Cake

Gwen came highly recommended so we gave her a try and all I can say
is WOW, Her cakes are great in every way. They are not only beautifully
decorated but they are so moist and the icing was not over sweet.
We had a cake with a basket weave and fruit put on top of each
layer. (Strawberries, Blueberries, Blackberries Etc.). The guest loved
the fruit served with the cake it was delicious. It was all ate just the topper was left.. I also highly recommend gwen.

Services Used: Wedding Cake

It was a very beautiful cake that was not only eye catching but very good. The fruits made it jump out at you and you could not wait to get to taste the cake. Most time the icing of cakes are way to sweet for me but this cake was very moist and very tasting.

Anonymous
2+ years ago

Wonderful experience!!! Will use Gwen for future events!!!!!