Grand Prospect Hall

4.1
Value
Flexibility
[Private]

Jamilia the representative is so wonderful and outstanding

Services Used: Ceremony & Reception Venue

Omg. I loved my wedding at this venue it was the best.. Best service and the food was great..

3.9

This place is amazing for the price . They are dedicated more to old school vintage but are very flexible to whatever you want. The security the day of the wedding was a little off. We did have other people from another event that day crash a few minutes but it was taken care of.

0.8

I was there for new year party, I go out to a lot off places to eat, this place its the worst place I ever been the owners are so nasty they have no respect for people they dont know how to talk to anyone waste of money.If this its the only place left in New York I wouldn't go I would have my party in the park better.

Services Used: Ceremony & Reception Venue

Great service and great attention to detail. Will look to make your dreams come true.

1 Review
1+ year ago

The professional staff brought our wedding day to a new height. We love them and we hope to see them on our tenth anniversary

Rania
04/28/2013

Mrs. H was amazing. She was flexible, kind and professional. She did all that she could to make my family happy and make the wedding spectacular.

4.7

The Grand Prospect Hall is an awesome venue. Everyone that we worked with was friendly, especially Denise, who was unbelievably helpful, understanding and extremely professional. She was always willing to accommodate any of our requests and was always there to offer advice when needed. We believe that having The Grand Prospect Hall in as our venue is what kept us calm and happy not just during an entire wedding day but all 6 months of preparation!! We received a lot of compliments for both the venue and the food. They were even willing to add some special menu items that we requested (signature cocktail drink, etc) and not requested. Denise even made them run out to get the Red Bull for my husband from the grocery store in the middle of the evening. The cake baker has created a beautiful cake. We have asked for the special design, and he made it happen! We loved it! We can't think of anything that we would have wanted to or happen differently. They listened to what we wanted and actually made it happen!!!

Services Used: Catering, Officiant, Wedding Cake
2+ years ago
3.0

When we signed the contract, Eric was our wedding coordinator. He was an absolute pleasure to work with. Welcoming, professional, accommodating, and really nice. He had promised certain things (complimentary runner, $15 vendor and kids' meals, etc). Unfortunately, a few months later he had to take a leave of absence due to complications from a surgery. Denise had taken over his clients for the time being. And Denise...wow. I have never met a ruder person in my life. Never. We had already signed a contract, otherwise we probably would have left. She was extremely forward, inflexible, and rude. There were times when she would blatantly look annoyed and yell at me when I brought up a concern. I could not believe we were paying to be yelled at. I dealt with her a little as possible and passed the task onto my husband. We also came across issues when we told her what we were originally promised when signing the contract with Eric. And til this day, we still believe Eric would have honored his words if he were there. For instance, instead of being offered $15 vendor/kids' meals, the meals were 2/3 the price of adult meals. So each vendor/kids' meals ended up being ~$75. We did not get a runner. And each time we met wit her to go over details, we felt rushed. She also insisted on giving us only THREE candles per table, when we had the large round tables that seated 10 - 12 people. We had to purchase 75 additional candles and holders from amazon. We ended up providing the extra candles. Three candles per table? Are you kidding me? How much do candles cost anyway?? We're paying for this venue! She was unwilling to compromise with us on any terms. It was awful!

Our maitre`d, Tom, was really wonderful though. The wedding night was hectic, but he was calm and kept things together. He was the complete opposite of Denise.

The ceremony room, cocktail room, and reception room were beautiful on our wedding night. But part of it is because our DJ had done a wonderful job with the lighting and we had brought in our own chair covers/table cloths. Their selection was limited and not at all the look I was going for. They offered to order the material we wanted, but it ended up being cheaper for us to purchase and bring in our own table cloths. They charge $4/chair cover and i think $12/table cloth. I don't remember the cost of their table cloths exactly. But to purchase the chair covers, we paid $2 a piece (satin). We also bought table cloth for $9 each (satin).

We were also really disappointed with the food. I would rate it a 5/10. My guests said their steak were dry and tasteless. My salmon was also dry and tasted fishy. My husband also did not enjoy his chicken. We were also promised a champagne march. Denise had written it down during our meeting and it was in our contract. This did not happen. Denise had gone home right after our ceremony.

I would refrain from working with this venue if Denise is your coordinator. Even if Eric returns from his leave and becomes your wedding coordinator, I would suggest having them put on paper that Denise cannot be the replacement. Alice, the owner, is also rude. But nothing compared to Denise. Her mannerism is awful. I have never and hope to never meet someone like her.

4.3

We had a really great wedding. Denise took care of everything from the start and we felt very much at home. After reading some of the reviews I noticed some comments of the negative nature. My review is going to be realistic. Anything with as many moving parts as a wedding much have a glitch here and there. It is the nature of the beast. But throughout the whole process Denise took care of everything and we were pleasantly surprised with both her and Tom someone making it all go off without a hitch. As f as pricing they cannot be beat. The hotels are all a ripp off also. The food at GPH was unreal and cannot be replicated. I am a very difficult person to say the least but I felt they really take their jobs serious and do everything possible to make your day go off without any major issues. And remember they are there 24/7 unlike some other places we checked out. Overall grade A.

2.6

Beautiful place, good food. Maitr'D Tom is awesome and very helpful. Owners are horrible. Mrs. H is accomodating when you have to pay her but the day of the wedding she did not let my GUESTS in the door at 745pm when we rented the hall at 8pm. I understand some guests were eager but its proper courtesy to start seating them. Besides that these owners are not that good to work with. There were a lot of mess ups that we had to work with and work around. Beautiful place but i wish the owners leave and let TOM take this place over.

3.9

This venue was a dream come true on my wedding day. In the weeks before our wedding, Diana and Mrs. H worked with us on every detail of our Middle Eastern menu until my husband and I were satisfied. The maitre d's Michael and Thomas were so accomidating and were with us every step of the way on our special night. Because of the detailed work and effort that the staff put in, our wedding flowed without a hitch. The cocktail hour was spectacular, the dinner great and the wedding cake delicious. We took pictures on the hall grounds and the gorgeous architecture shows in every clip. It was a night to remember and we couldnt have asked for more.

Services Used: Ceremony & Reception Venue

We had a spectacular experience with the Grand Prospect, and our sales contact, Denise Sullivan. We had a movie-themed wedding, and we had a lot of details that we needed Denise's guidance on. Throughout, the level of customer service we received was outstanding. She was always prompt and professional in her responses. In addition, the grand ballroom is simply gorgeous, and the food selection was fantastic. We were able to create exactly the type of wedding which we aimed for: one that was an expression of our love for one another and for doing something outside the norm. Denise was instrumental in fueling our creative fire, and helped to make our wedding unforgettable for us and our guests. On the night of the wedding, Tom, also made our night flow smoothly which was no small feat considering we had a wedding party of 14. The staff also coordinated well with our DJ, photographer, and videographer.

Services Used: Catering, Ceremony & Reception Venue, Wedding Cake
3.2

We chose Grand Prospect Hall as our wedding venue because we were looking for a place that could hold 300 guests, as close as possible to Manhattan, accessible by subway. (We would have loved to get married in Manhattan but everything there was WAY out of our price range.) We were a bit nervous about the choice because the place is over-the-top...it's extremely ornate...we got a kick out of the place, the whole look of it just put a smile on our faces, but we were a little nervous that our guests wouldn't really "get it". Turns out they totally "got it", the guests seemed to get a kick out of it just like we did, we got lots of positive feedback from our guests, and- this is the best part- the hall looks AMAZING in our pictures. Truly amazing. There are balconies in the ballroom, which allowed our photographers to take incredible aerial shots of the dancing. HOWEVER...they were a difficult vendor to work with. Each time we requested something specific, they responded like it was a big chore. On wedding day, the air conditioners didn't work in the ceremony room, and our guests were boiling hot. They didn't set up the right number of tables. Overall, we are happy we had our wedding there, our guests enjoyed it and it looks amazing in pictures, but the people there were challenging to work with.

4.7

Grand Prospect Hall was not my first choice for our wedding; I know many people who have gotten married here and I wanted something different. But I would have never thought this would be the first and only hall I would look at when planning my wedding. We booked the Grand Ballroom and it was absolutely beautiful for our 300+ guest wedding. We worked with the owner Alice on all of our planning and she did a great job of keeping our plans together. The staff of Grand Prospect Hall is wonderful; the Maitre D' Thomas is absolutely great. He is definitely a professional at his job; he takes control of things and makes sure everything goes according to plan. My Bridal Attendant was another wonderful employee, she did so much for both myself and my husband. She made sure we were taken care of. Yes, the prices are a tad high but you get a very beautiful venue that needs little to no extra decorations. We had a gorgeous wedding and many of that was due to the Grand Ballroom.

3.9

Grand Prospect Hall is gorgeous!!!!! The first day I walked in... I knew that it is where I would have my wedding... I would not take no for an answer... I was too much in love with place!!!

Everything up until the wedding day was great... everyone was very helpful and and nice. On the day of the wedding though... things were kind of starting to get a little out of control... we had a few more people than we had mentioned at first and the owner was literally chasing my husband around the whole place trying to get him to pay!!! Then, we had alcohol on the table and when people finished the bottle on their table and asked for a another... they were told that we had only paid for one per table... which is completely REDICULOUS!!! and we would never do that!!! My husband got angry with the situation and asked to see the contract... when it looked at it... there was an add in which was NEVER on the contract we had at home!!! They tried to play us!!!

Then when my rabbi came late... the manager had the nerve to yell at him for it!!! I understand that it sort of messes things up... but you should never yell at a rabbi (or priest--who I'm sure she wouldn't yell at)... it's just disrespectful!!!

Because he was late... we didn't have as much time and it felt like a lot of things were rushed... we weren't even offered more time for all the money we put in.

Other than management... the service was great!!! The waiters and bus boys were amazing!!!! Especially the waitress in the bridal suit. Our matr'd was also amazing and was actually telling management to cool off and leave us alone!! :)