Devil's Thumb Ranch

(4.1 / 5.0)
Flexibility:
(3.7 / 5.0)
  • Flexibility: 5.0

Kevin, our contact at Devil's Thumb Ranch, was awesome. The service was excellent, the rooms were fantastic, and the venue is gorgeous. We will be sure to return to this incredible venue for many anniversaries to come.

• Wedding: 02/23/2014
  • Flexibility: 5.0

My husband and I hosted a destination wedding at Devil's Thumb Ranch. It was our dream wedding-- everything we could have asked for in preparation for our special day. Our venue coordinator, Kevin, was beyond fabulous, as well. Most of our guests have not visited Colorado, so this was the perfect 'first impression'. Our food was amazing, the service was fabulous, and the ranch itself was breathtaking. I know we are not the only ones in our party that will be back to visit. :)

• Wedding: 07/04/2013
  • Flexibility: 5.0

We fell in love with Devil's Thumb Ranch on our one year anniversary, and once we got engaged, we knew we had to have our wedding there.

The staff was fantastic and very helpful during the entire planning process and during the wedding weekend itself.

The entire range is amazing, and the Broad Axe Barn is absolutely gorgeous. All our out of state guests absolutely loved the venue!

• Wedding: 05/12/2013
  • Flexibility: 5.0

When we started planning, we envisioned a "mountain chic" wedding -- rustic luxury, mountain views, but within easy driving distance of Denver. Devil's Thumb Ranch was amazing. Our guests were treated to the ultimate vacation -- cozy and comfy rooms, all sorts of activities on site, amazing food and drinks. The venue was perfect for the wedding itself -- the view is unmatched, and the outdoor ceremony site is breathtaking. The Broad Axe Barn was perfect -- the fireplace was lit, the lights were on on the deck -- I couldn't have imagined a more perfect venue. The staff were all amazing and helpful, they made us feel really special the whole weekend. Even when there were the inevitable minor hiccups, they made sure they were taken care of without stressing me out. I was able to spend the days before and during my wedding chilling out in luxury in the mountains, cozied up in an incredibly comfortable bed, hiking and lounging in the beautiful pool, and enjoying the surroundings with my new husband and our families and friends. I think we made the most perfect decision in having our wedding at DTR.

• Wedding: 10/22/2011
Services Used: Catering, Ceremony & Reception Venue
4.9/5.0
  • Flexibility: 4.5

We just had our wedding at Devil's Thumb Ranch this past weekend. It was absolutely stunning and unforgettable. The wedding site coordinator, Lindsay, is a pleasure to work with and was very responsive throughout the year with any questions or concerns that we had. They do have strict policies which allow for very little flexibility as far as pricing,etc goes, but Lindsay did everything in her power to make our wedding fit within our budget and yet stay beautiful and look like a million bucks! Our family and friends were treated like royalty as well. Unfortunately, one of cabins burned down while we were there, and they had to move our honeymoon cabin, but moved us to a beautiful lodge suite that was even nicer than the cabin we were originally going to be in! All of our guests said that it was the most beautiful wedding they'd ever been to, and that the Ranch itself was the most stunning place they'd ever seen. Many are now even planning on making annual family trips there from now on. It is so bittersweet that our wedding is now over, but we look forward to our next stay at DTR. Thank you, Lindsay and everyone involved!!! April and Cody 4/13/14

• Wedding: 04/13/2014
4.7/5.0
  • Professionalism: 4.5
  • Flexibility: 4.0

Stacy was so helpful to work with. The entire staff made our dreams come true and helped us make our vision into reality.

• Wedding: 02/04/2012
4.6/5.0
  • Flexibility: 3.0

This is an absolutely beautiful place to get married. The staff is super responsive, helpful, and fun. The venue is perfectly done and provides the utmost in rustic luxury. We had to get married inside the barn due to snow (our Plan B), and they did such a wonderful job of creating a dramatic moment by opening the doors for our ceremony. Just A+ all around. You can't go wrong getting married here.

• Wedding: 10/11/2013
4.6/5.0
  • Quality of Service: 4.5
  • Professionalism: 4.5
  • Value: 4.5
  • Flexibility: 4.5

My husband and I were recently married here 5/29/10 and couldn't have been happier with our decision. Rental of facilities is not inexpensive, however it is well worth the decreased stress and planning to have your rehearsal, wedding and reception all in one amazing location. The beautiful setting of the valley with the continental divide in the background provides a calming atmosphere for guests and the wedding party alike! The food here is also fabulous, they use local produce whenever possible and adhere to sustainable environmental practices throughout their facilities. The service was outstanding from all members of staff, and on the wedding day, they went above and beyond to make our guests comfortable. we chose DTR over other locations such as Vail, Aspen and Breckenridge because of the food, location, service and value for price.

• Wedding: 05/29/2010
4.5/5.0
  • Responsiveness: 4.5
  • Flexibility: 4.5

We were the first to take advantage of their elopement package, and the first to wed in their newly built Yager House. Our accommodations, food, and service was all impeccable. It set the stage for a perfect day, with the mountains as an immaculate background. Our private cabin was cozy and romantic, just what we had hoped for. When we realized we didn't have an item, the concierge was quick to deliver it within minutes. There wasn't any room service to the cabins, as they are a little far from the lodge. But it forces you to go out and enjoy the environment that begs to be explored. We even stayed an extra day and spent a day alone in the spa together.

When I was informed that the room above the Yager House wasn't ready or photo appropriate, Stacy was quick to find me an open room in the lodge to get ready. They really took the time to prepare and serve our custom dinner for two, with a glass of wine for each course. They were there from the minute we arrived at the ranch to make sure everything was in order. It's a little pricey for all the activities that are offered, like any resort it's better if you bring your own equipment. The food is expensive too, but it's expensive for a reason. The menu is carefully selected and my tastebuds were always happy.

• Wedding: 12/11/2011
4.2/5.0
  • Quality of Service: 3.5
  • Value: 4.0
  • Flexibility: 4.5

We are just planning our wedding but am so excited about the beauty of this place. It will be cozy winter wedding and I can't wait!!!

• Wedding: 01/02/2015
Services Used: Ceremony & Reception Venue, Rehearsal Dinner Location
3.6/5.0
  • Quality of Service: 3.5
  • Professionalism: 3.5
  • Flexibility: 3.5

There's no doubt that the Devil's Thumb Ranch is a gorgeous venue. Overall we had a good experience with the ranch and the folks in the planning office. They did their best to accomodate us, but keep in mind it's still a business. A few years ago, it was probably more of a cozy, family feeling but I think the ranch has grown enough in popularity and size that it's starting to feel more like a wedding/event factory than a home-y ranch. We had a couple of disagreements with the venue in terms of items that they were trying to nickel and dime on, but we were able to work out most of our issues in a positive way. I would recommend this venue with the caveat that they are building another wedding venue right across the road, so it's definitely going to become a place that just churns out weddings every weekend and also they are in the business of making money, first and foremost.

• Wedding: 2+ years ago
Profile Picture
Anonymous
3.6/5.0
  • Professionalism: 4.0
  • Flexibility: 2.0

This is a hard one to rate. Fact of the matter is Devil's Thumb Ranch is expensive and they have food minimums and lodging minimums and they require you to have a day of event coordinator.

But,the venue itself can't be beat. It is beautiful and all my guests were amazed when, just before my dad walked me down the aisle, the barn doors opened to a blue bird afternoon in late January. We got to bring the outdoors inside for our winter wedding and it was wonderful. The service on our wedding day was excellent. Even leading up to the even, the service was good. They did change their wedding sales person during our process and the transition could have been smoother, but we were very happy to have Stacy Horn take over for their other sales person.

The lodging minimum is the most ridiculous part as you have to choose your wedding block before hand and you are in charge of paying for that block even if the rooms blocked don't get booked but you have reached the minimum with DTR rooms that you did not block. And those rooms outside the block are at whatever the going price of the rooms is when they are booked. The rooms in the block aren't even discounted. Really this is the most frustrating thing about DTR.

The day of coordinator is actually really useful as they will help work with DTR and other businesses in the area which makes the whole planning process a whole lot smoother and less frustrating. I went with Pick Me! Floral & Event Design as Rami has done a million weddings at DTR and knows how the area businesses operate. Even after having lived in the Fraser Valley for 5 years myself, it was great to have her advice and help doing business in the area.

The food minimum at DTR may seem ridiculous but the food is so good, that it is well worth it. I made sure that I sat down to eat my meal on my wedding night because I knew it would be great and it was. DTR also made miniature desserts for us instead of a wedding cake and everyone loved them.

• Wedding: 01/28/2012
3.4/5.0
  • Quality of Service: 4.0
  • Responsiveness: 2.0
  • Professionalism: 3.0
  • Value: 4.0
  • Flexibility: 4.0

This is an absolutely GORGEOUS venue. The lodge, barn, and wedding site are stunning and all of our guests were complimentary of the setting. The food was awesome. We had steak and salmon as main course choices -- both options were among the best wedding food I've ever had and were large portions as well. The passed HODs were praised by all. Service on the day of and at the wedding was impeccable. So, why the low ratings? Leading up to the event, the service lacked the kind of attentiveness one would expect when spending > $18K on dinner. The staff were nice, but were very clearly overworked. Their failure to respond to emails or to follow-up when promised caused a lot of un-needed anxiety on my part (un-needed because they did a great job in the end...). The lodge is gorgeous and could be up there with the best of luxury resorts except that the staff doesn't understand luxury service. The young and in-experienced staff wouldn't be a problem if they were properly trained. Instead you get amateur service that is at least friendly while often incompetant.

In summary... I would reccomend DTR for a wedding, but a planner is a must and prepare yourself for sub-par service prior to the big day.

• Wedding: 07/04/2008
Services Used: Catering, Ceremony & Reception Venue, Event Rentals & Photobooths, Wedding Cake
3.3/5.0
  • Quality of Service: 3.0
  • Professionalism: 3.0
  • Flexibility: 3.0

DTR is a beautiful place to get married! The stunning views & ranch made it our perfect venue! Stacy was wonderful to work with & plan our special day & weekend. Unfortunately, Stacy moved & we were passed off to Kevin. This is where things started to go less smoothly. He was not willing to give much helpful advice or really even work much with you. I had envisioned a few things I wanted to happen at the wedding, however Kevin told us they don't allow it at the ranch. To my surprise, I have since looked at pictures of other weddings that took place the same year & they had some of the same items I had requested! We also talked with him about having menus set at each guest's seat for the reception (which is included in the DTR cost). When I got to the reception NO menus. I was later told by the DTR staff member there that night that he wasn't told about the menus. We were also supposed to have wine served to guests during dinner; only a couple tables actually got that service. I even told the staff who was picking up wine glasses & she left my wine glass & poured me wine, but continued picking up glasses & not serving guests. Communication was a big issue I noticed between Kevin & the DTR staff that was actually working the wedding. Stacy, who was now working for a wedding planner, was up that weekend preparing for a wedding the next night. She stopped by while I was getting ready to see how things were going & to wish me a wonderful wedding day! Kevin, on the other hand, did not stop by to check on us once. We only saw him one time that weekend while he was giving a tour to a potential wedding client.
Even though our experience with our new coordinator was not up to the standards that DTR prides itself on, the rest of the staff & weekend was wonderful! The ranch had room for everything (rehearsal dinner, welcome reception, spa, etc.) It made for an amazing weekend for our families & guests! I will definitely recommend DTR, just ask for Lindsey.

• Wedding: 10/19/2013
3.0/5.0
  • Quality of Service: 4.0
  • Responsiveness: 2.0
  • Professionalism: 4.0
  • Flexibility: 2.0

This venue is really beautiful and all the guests that stayed really enjoyed it. It is hard to find a more stunning location. Our wedding day went smoothly, the food was great, the service was great and we were really happy. So why the relatively low score: Well everything else was pretty bad! The venue for our post-wedding brunch was triple booked - we only found out because our wedding planner was also planning a wedding the next day and they were supposed to be having brunch there as well. The location for our reception had not been built when we signed the contract, but we were told it would have been finished at the end of 2013, it still was a building site in the summer of 2014. Again the communication from DTR was poor and would have been stressful if it had not been for our very proactive wedding planner. DTR are also not very flexible, for instance: if you want to hang any decorations you can't use their ladder, if you want to put anything in the fridge you can't (we were staying in a suite and it had a tiny fridge you could fit a couple of bottles of champagne but not much else). If you use DTR you will have a beautiful wedding and the wedding day will go smoothly BUT everything else is a little haphazard and it is expensive. We strongly recommend Jessica Adler as a wedding planner if you decide get married at DTR as she is awesome and knows the many peculiarities of DTR and took a huge load of our shoulders.

• Wedding: Recently Married
Profile Picture
Private User
3.0/5.0
  • Responsiveness: 0.0
  • Flexibility: 2.0

We were married here a little over a week ago, so everything is still fresh. It was a beautiful, beautiful venue that has had our friend's friends asking where it was.

We planned our wedding there in less than 6 months and working with DTR was very difficult. We had a wedding planner that was a liaison and we knew she had done quite a few weddings there, so that created a lot of trust, but our biggest issue was the responsiveness. We would wait weeks before hearing back on questions or contracts. In addition, the contracts were often not accurate, so please read yours carefully! We read plenty of reviews and they all expressed the same concerns but said you're day goes smoothly.

We were also a little disappointed that we were not able to try the food and they do not do food tastings. You also need to make sure you are aware of all the extra fees upfront. They will charge you for any extra little detail and do not easily offer price breaks on anything.

With all of that being said, it was a perfect day. The staff (outside of sales/contracts) was absolutely amazing. They make you feel like a king and queen and take care of you. The food was fantastic- everything from the appetizers to dinner to dessert- delicious! It was a fantastic venue for friends and family to gather for a weekend. My bridal party rented a cabin and it was the perfect space and big enough for the rest of my family members to join while we readied for the wedding.

• Wedding: 09/02/2013
970-726-5632
Please let this vendor know you found them on WeddingWire
4.1