Derek Chan Films

Responsiveness
Professionalism
Value
Flexibility

During my search for a wedding videographer, I came across countless firms in Toronto capable of taking video clips of a wedding, combining them together and adding a pop song to the soundtrack. But ask yourself this: Wouldn't you rather captivate your guests through a compelling wedding story rather than get their attention by playing a song heard many times over?

If you want a video to tell to the true story of your wedding day, one that will engage the audience from start to finish, the you will need an experienced wedding cinematographer. A talented cinematographer will use video and sound clips captured throughout the day to craft a cohesive, powerful and emotional story that will become your wedding film. It is something that you will want to watch for many years to come, and a good investment.

I contacted Derek Chan Films after watching many of their previous wedding films, especially their Same Day Edits. Starting with the first contact, Derek and Cece were very responsive, upfront and professional and set aside part of an evening to meet with us in person. They gave us tips and techniques with regards to lighting and positioning to give the best picture quality. Their team worked well with our chosen photographers, and operated stealthily and unobtrusively around our 270 guests.

The same day edit was completed on time and according to schedule, and having seen Derek's previous work, I had very high expectations for our SDE. After watching our own video, I was completely blown away, and our guests were speechless! Although I have seen many SDEs, ours was unlike any other and uniquely crafted to our wedding, telling our story in such a compelling way that I could have not imagined. Derek Chan and his team can bring the same magic to your event, and I strongly, strongly recommend them!

Watch Derek Chan Films' videos online - the work speaks for itself.

Larissa
10/25/2014

Derek asked us many questions prior to the event date to make sure he got to know us a little and what we wanted. This made everything run smoothly the day-of.

We went ahead and also got a Same-day-edit and showed it to our guests at our reception. It made me cry because Derek managed to capture all of the emotions of the day. Everyone absolutely LOVED it and told us afterwards how much they enjoyed the video. We are speechless and so far everything has exceeded our expectations. Derek is professional, thorough, and AMAZING at his craft. We can't thank Derek and his team enough for all of the hard work they put in throughout the day. Prior to hiring him, I watched maybe 20 other same day edits from other companies, and no one even comes close. If you are looking for the next up and coming videographer, look no further than Derek Chan.

Annie and Penny
10/12/2014

Dear Derek & Cece,

THANK YOU for transforming our wedding day to an extraordinary work of art. The film you created for Penny and I was more than we could have hoped for in a wedding video. Your creative vision artistically captured our style and silly personalities while beautifully showcasing the essences of love, family and joy. These are testaments to the pride you take in your work and the service you provide your clients. Throughout the entire process, you were both so friendly, easy to work with, and accommodating. We would absolutely recommend you to anyone knowing the positive experience, quality of service and work you provide.

Your masterpiece is a timeless keepsake we’ll continue to watch and treasure in the years to come. Again, thank you so much for what you’ve given us.

Justin
09/07/2014

Eileen and I had our wedding on September 7th, 2015. We started the preparation about half an year before it. One of the very first few things our wedding planner recommended us to do is to book our videographer, as we all know the video will be the most vivid memory of our big day.

We have been looking at the online profiles of quite a few video studios. We weren't really 100% satisfied with their work. But as we were running short of time, so we almost decided to sign one of them that we felt was better. One day our wedding planner sent us the website of Derek's Oi Studio, and told us we have to take a look at their work before we make the decision. Just after watching a few videos, we already know that Derek and Cece's work are exactly what we are looking for. Their works are sweet, customized, and beautiful. They feel like being made by a friend who knows you well and cares about you rather than just done by editing based on standard templates.

In our first meeting with Derek and Cece, they tried to learnt many details of our love story, talked about their ideas of shooting the video, and also showed us their previous works. We feel they are professional, very comfortable to work with, and put a lot of thoughts into their works. So we signed them right away. Before our wedding, they also come to meet us again just to go through the whole wedding day schedule to make sure everything will be smooth and they wouldn't miss any important scene.

We finally got our wedding video a few weeks ago, and really really love it. We have showed it to many guests and family members. They all are very impressive by how good it is. Many thanks to Derek and Cece, they recorded our big day in a such a sweet video. Eileen and I know we will watch it many many times in the rest of our life to just recall how beautiful our wedding day was!

Recently Married

Thank you Derek and Cece for capturing our special day!!! You guys did an amazing job with our same day edit. We received numerous compliments of how well the video was put together.

Since the very first contact, you have been easy to work with, professional about everything, and responded promptly. We will not hesitate to recommend Oi Studio to people we know!

All the best,

Recently Married

We recently hired Derek to film our wedding. My wife found his website and upon viewing a few of his videos we decided we wanted to go with him. Derek proved to be very easy to work with. He was readily available for communication, came to our venue several weeks before the wedding to scope it out. He was also at my parents house and my wife's house in the morning to film before the ceremony. They final product is great. My wife and I really enjoy watching and reliving our day.

Recently Married

My husband and I could not be more thrilled with the service and final product we received from Derek! Him and his team were so professional on the day of our wedding, making sure they got great shots without disrupting our day. They truly took into consideration the details we wanted captured and presented them so beautifully in the video. My husband and I loved reliving our day with the video and are so glad we chose a videographer with such talent and pride in his work. We could not be more pleased with Derek and his team's work and we highly recommend them to anyone!!

Services Used: Videography

Derek and Cece were absolutely a pleasure to work with. My husband and I weren't sure whether we wanted videography services for our wedding. However, after viewing their videos online, we knew we had to meet with them. From the initial meeting, Derek and Cece were attentive to our requests, focused on our vision, and very detailed oriented. We kept in close contact during the weeks leading up to the wedding and they always responded to emails. The day of the wedding, Derek and Cece made our entire wedding party comfortable. Their unique vision and thinking out of the box is inspiring and something that we have never come across before. We received our videos in record time and I can't stop watching the feature film. We would highly recommend Derek Chan Films to any couple looking to capture their wedding day.

Services Used: Videography

Both Derek and Cece from Oi studios were very easy going and worked well with all of our other vendors. Their equipments were very professional and captured every important moment. Due to that fact both my husband and I live in Asia, they were very flexible in terms of payment methods, meeting on skype as well as putting a rush on our videos so we could get it before we leave. I was very happy with the end product and surprised how well it turned out.

Vince
06/15/2014

Great service, very responsible. would come out on their own time to design the scene, and the plot. Really appreciate their hard work. They are considerate and would listen to the clients request first, and incorporate that with their professional experience making sure the end result is both artistic, and also reflects the clients' feel and value.

Calvin
05/30/2014

They did a ridiculously awesome job on our music/wedding video. I couldn't be happier with it! Even our venue was asking for a copy of it!

Shaun
03/29/2014

The OI Studio team provided us with excellent service for our wedding. Before the event, they both met with us and sent us plenty of questions to ensure that we were going to have a video that reflected us and would meet our expectations. The day of, they were with us at all times making sure that they captured the important moments of the day and the little moments that we wouldn't want to forget.

Their productions are definitely not your average wedding video: a stagnant diary of the day's events but a cinematic overview of the key moments. It is definitely a video that we love to share (rather than subject my friends and family to!).

Roda
11/01/2013

I'm usually wary about giving a perfect score to any vendor because the perfectionist in me always finds fault somewhere, but let me tell you about Oi studio. Derek and Cici were the perfect pick as cinematographers! They were quick to respond every time I contacted them and at our first meeting, I could see that they were very passionate about what they do and they did it well! I was a little anxious about giving away creative power since they told me that they would be doing the editing and deciding the storyline set up for the wedding film but seeing the final product, I have no regrets. They have an artistic sense that 'feeeellls" the emotion on screen and knows how to pull it out in perfect editing. I had met with other cinematographers that also had that touch and would have given me amazing artistry but they came with a hefty price tag; so for value and service, Oi Studio beat out the competition! I was very impressed with their attention to the small things that matter like their song choice for my video; I am a nit-pick when it comes to the perfect lyrics-beat-mood of a wedding song and I loveeed their pick. If you are looking for cinematographers that will give you that high end look of a wedding film with creative filming, value and wonderful customer service, choose Oi Studio:)

Alyssa
08/10/2013

We used oi studio for our wedding videography. From the first meeting we had they were professional and really wanted to listen to our story and get to know us as a couple. The day of the wedding was fantastic! they were on time, and worked well with us all day making us feel at ease having them around us all day. The end product we received was excellent, the video really captured the emotions and spirit of our wedding day. EXCELLENT work and thank you again for everything!!! :)

Adam
08/10/2013

Anyone looking for an out of the box approach to having their wedding captured, Derek and Cece know exactly what to do, they are young creative minds with great innovative ideas.

On our wedding day both Derek (who followed myself) and Cece (who followed my wife) arrived promptly and readily prepared for their tasks for the day but at no point during my preparations or during the actual wedding and reception itself did I feel even slightly burdened with having ANY issues whatsoever with my videographers. I even just enjoyed having them around as guests at my wedding as they are both wonderfully spirited people!

Upon upload of our short film on the website I was sooooo excited to see it for myself and show all of my friends and family, espically the ones who couldn't be there on the day. And even in that short film they were able to capture the emotions of the day and produce and edit it in such a dramatic fashion that at LEAST 90% of the people I show the video to, cry. And thats a good thing !!

Thank you both so much for the amazing footage and for being a total non-worry for me on a day thats usually filled with worry!

1+ year ago

I hired Oi Studio as a present for my brother-in-law's wedding gift. Derek and Cece were very professional and the videography was top notch. They did so much more than we expected. The bride and groom were overjoyed with the final outcome.