Cocoon Silk

Cocoon Silk

Portland, OR
Is this your business? Claim this listing
• Customize your Storefront with your business info
• Network with and learn from other professionals
• Showcase your work with photos & videos
• Collect reviews from your clients and build more credibility

3.3
3.2
Private User
1 Review
1+ year ago

Absolutely first-rate service and absolutely gorgeous dress. The silk is stunning, the styles are so unusual and different from the boring gowns you find everywhere else, and the owner and his staff are so professional and friendly and fun. To have a perfectly fitted, custom wedding gown that looks so much nicer than other gowns four times the price was wonderful. Can't recommend it more. Not sure where these negative reviews came from -- our experience couldn't have been more memorable and happy.

Kristy
07/20/2013

Everyone was so welcoming and sweet! The first and only dress I tried on :) it was so unique and special!

Services Used: Dress & Attire

I had the best of luck finding my wedding dress at Cocoon Silk. I am very confident that once it is finished it will be absolutely perfect! I have already had my first fitting and was completely pleased with my dress thus far. I have no doubt that it will be beyond beautiful once it is sized perfectly and has the sleeves on. Savon (store owner) is amazing! He is a designer through and through. He will not tell you no but if you listen to his subtle hints he will help you create a dress that is fashionable and one that compliments your body. I would absolutely suggest that you try Cocoon Silk before you settle for a ready made dress! I have already referred many brides here and will continue... Have nothing bad to say. Watch for my final review once the dress is done!!!
Camille

Services Used: Dress & Attire

Cocoon Silk was amazing to work with! They are very good listeners and help you along the creative path of designing your dress for any special occassion! Their fabrics and detail used in creating the dresses are incredible and they work very closely with you to make sure you are happy. The process was actually really enjoyable for me. You do have to plan around going to the shop a few times to tweak and customize the dress, but as long as you go into it knowing that you won't be let down by the results. I had SO MANY compliments on my dress the day of the wedding. Everyone was surprised to hear it was custom made! I would work with Cocoon Silk again in a heartbeat.

Anonymous
2+ years ago

Slovan is extremely talented. He works hard to make sure to exceed your expectations. He made me an absolutely beautiful dress for a fraction of the cost if I was to buy it in a high end store. Not to mention it was a one of a kind. Slovan really goes the extra mile. He went to my maid of honor's home (who is pregnant) to deliver her dress since her schedule is tight right now. I highly recommend Cocoon Silk and Slovan. The only thing I would mention is to get your dress ordered as far in advance as possible. He gets extremely busy during "wedding season" in Portland-He can give you more attention and time if you order sooner. He is the brain of the operation and since he is very talented he can get overwhelmed at times. You will have a one of a kind amazing dress if you go with Cocoon Silk!

4.2

Savon from Cocoon Silk is experienced and enthusiastic to use this experience to create for you the perfect dress for your event. Be sure that they completely understand all of the specs of your desires. I was not able to go in to try the dress on, after purchase, so I had to have it adjusted slightly elsewhere. Plan to give yourself plenty of time to order, try and have adjustments done in the shop. Lovely, high quality silk and lace!

0.8

I used cocoon silk for my bridesmaid dresses and it was a NIGHTMARE! I placed the order for them in April and was told they would be ready by the end of June. I did not live in the area so I was planning my visits to Portland around these dresses being ready. Once July came around and I did not hear from them I called to see if they were in I did not hear back or get an answer for 2 weeks. Finally I made the drive from Spokane down there to confront them. I was told my dresses were done and there. When the owner went to go and get them I was told they were not there but would be soon and could I come back. That is when I cam unglued and so did my mom who was with me trying to get the dresses taken care of. We demanded a refund which they obliged to but not after a whole lot of anger and frustration. I was unable to find another place that could get dresses quickly enough for my wedding so I had to order very expensive ones from J-Crew. I was extremely frustrated with the lack of professionalism and contact from them. If they would have been more up front with me it would made things a little better but when I have to drive 6 hours to get answers about my bridesmaid dresses then I get a bit upset.

1.0

I'm not going to lie. After all was said and done, my dress was GORGEOUS and EXACTLY what I wanted.

BUT it was quite the journey to get there. I ordered my dress about 5 months ahead of time. I experienced several unanswered calls/voicemails and unfulfilled promises of getting a call back to know ANYTHING about the status of my dress as well as so many cancellations and rescheduling of my fittings SEVERAL times usually no more than 30 minutes before the appt--I live an hour away from the shop! It was quite the travesty. They promise A LOT and ALWAYS under delivered. One week before the wedding, I made the drive again to finally pick up the finished product. I was told to wait for a "few" minutes as they were "busy." After about 45 minutes of waiting I was told THE DRESS WAS NOT READY. AAAHHHHH!! Due to my work schedule there was no way I could get up to Portland again before the wedding so Savon (the store owner) ended up driving to my home with a seamstress and a sewing machine to finish the dress at my parents house. UNBELIEVABLE. It definitely added a good dose of stress at a time when it is least needed. BEWARE.

Private User
2+ years ago
0.6

From what I’ve heard, they were great a year or two ago but took on way to many brides recently and can’t keep up. My dress wasn’t done until 48 hours before the wedding and only because we were persistent. I’m sure they would have finished it a week after the wedding if we let them.

There were a dozens times they told me on the phone my dress was ready to be picked up – I drove across town- and then got there to find a dress full of pins. They had a million excuses and at one point said that it was ready but they had spilled coffee on it right before I drove up but otherwise it would have been ready.

After all that, the quality was only so so. There were some seems they didn’t bother to finish and flaws on the lace. I could have had a friend make it for me and have it look about the same. They gave me a discount but I’m still not happy having given them any money for all my time they wasted. There was a lot of communication issues and we were not on the same page about what the dress should look like, even though I had detailed pictures of what I wanted.

I didn’t gain or lose a pound from the day they took my measurements but the dress ripped the first time I sat down in it. I lost over a half hour from my wedding while my family sewed me into my dress.

If you have a dress with them, pick it up now in whatever condition it is in and take it to a real tailor. There is a reason they are so cheap and its not worth it.

2.1

In the end the dress was really pretty and affordable. They are way too busy and they don't communicate what they can and can't do. It was very stressful and in the end the dress was half an inch longer on one side than the other and we were really scared it wouldn't be done in time even though we ordered almost 6 months before. If you really care about your dress and you care about details and timing, I would stay away.

0.4

Do not go to this store. They have the worst customer service I've ever exeperienced in my life. They will not communicate with you when your dress arrives, and it will be months late. All of my bridesmaids had to get new dresses two weeks before the wedding and we never even saw the dresses. They're still not even sure if the dresses were made. I do not recommend this shop for anyone for any sort of wedding or important event. This is the worst shopping experience I've ever had in my life. Do not believe their promises, they cannot deliver the product.

IF you have ordered a dress from them call them immidiately. We probably called 30 times before we got a straight answer. Make sure they have your dress in the country. Ask to see it. Make an appointment NOW. Do not let them ruin your wedding.

1.0

This dress shop is a nightmare! Do not get a dress here! They make a lot of promises up front, but do not deliver. Their dresses are made in Cambodia and often get held up in customs when being shipped in.

I was rescheduled daily for a week before coming in to see my dress. When I arrived, they told me it wasn't ready. When I finally got my first fitting (one week before my wedding date), the dress was in pieces, no sleeves, wrong cut, size 12 (I'm a 2). It got patched together before my wedding, but it was not my dress. Not what I asked for. Ruined!

I should have known better. Every time I went into the shop this summer to check up on them (because they do not call you back) there was someone in their crying or yelling. Catch them any other time of year, but wedding season and you may not see this. They are highly disorganized.

This was the worse shopping experience ever!

Services Used: Dress & Attire

Thanks to Sovan and his fantastic team at Cocoon Silk, we all looked incredible on the wedding day! I would give them 10/10 stars for flexibility and value if I could. They made my dress, my husband's suit, another groomsman's suit, four bridesmaids dresses and 5 sets of ties and hankies AND altered a couple other pieces we purchased, but couldn't get altered elsewhere. Everything turned out beautifully!
Because it is a small business, I think you might trade a little bit of efficiency for flexibility. There were a couple times when I felt I needed to call multiple times to follow-up on a particular question and the pieces did not arrive when we were told they were going to arrive, although we had them all in time for the wedding no problem! But I would definitely work with Cocoon Silk again! You won't find this kind of beautiful unique quality anywhere else for these prices!

3.3

The biggest disappointment I had with Cocoon Silk is that somehow my (custom designed) wedding dress was sold to another woman 4 weeks before my wedding. The way it was relayed to me on the day of my fitting is that, the Saturday before my fitting, the dress was finished, and hanging in the back of the shop. This was also the weekend the owner was working a wedding fashion show, so a retail staff member was running the store. In the afternoon a woman from the East Coast came into the store to look at wedding dresses. I was told she must have snooped in the back of the room, found my dress, tried it on, fell in love with it, bought it, and took it home with her.

Needless to say, I was none too pleased to hear this news. Especially since the owner took three days to tell me. I'm not sure how the woman was able to buy the dress, when there wasn't a price tag on it, and when there ought to have been a tag on it that said it was reserved for me. If the woman paid off the retail person, shame on her, and shame on the staff member for accepting the bribe.

To his credit, the owner remade the dress in less than a week, and it looked great. I was told that the original dress was eventually returned to him. I have no idea what was done with it. The communication with the owner was also very inconsistent, and there were all sorts of delays. I was originally supposed to have the dress back by December 2010, but that became January, which turned into February.

I don't think the relative inexpensiveness of this dress maker's fees can be directly equated with the quality of service per se. Rather, I think the shop was still working out a lot of kinks at the time.

Services Used: Dress & Attire

I searched several shops for my wedding dress, as many brides do, going through hundreds of styles, lengths and fabrics. I thought I had found my dream dress from another bridal boutique, which ultimately turned out to be a nightmare and I had to start over. I had already hired Cocoon Silk to custom design my bridesmaids dresses, and thought I would give them a call to discuss designing my wedding dress. All I had was a picture of the dress I really wanted, and some ideas on what to do to make it more unique for me. The staff at Cocoon Silk were incredible, we immediately started looking at fabrics, designs, and that same day I placed the order. All I can say is the dress came out phenomenally, and I couldn't have been happier. I received so many compliments, and it was absolutely perfect for our beach wedding in Cabo San Lucas. The craftsmanship was impeccable, the fabric was gorgeous, and Sovann is extremely in tune with what looks flattering on different body types, he made adjustments that I wouldn't have even thought of, that made the dress ultimately the best it could have been. If you have a dream dress in mind, bring your ideas and your photos to Cocoon Silk, they'll make your dreams come true and a dress that looks couture for an 1/8th of the cost.

Services Used: Dress & Attire

The value i received at cocoon silk was incredible. Sovanna and his sister and brother are just the sweetest people and really do their best to make sure that their customers are happy. everytime i called or went into their shop i felt right at home. there is no way i would have received the quality of silk and the attention to detail in a custom made dress from another boutique.