Chef by Design Catering Co.

Chef by Design Catering Co.

Let Our business be Your pleasure

5318 Fairfield Shopping Center
Virginia Beach, VA 23464 | map
Catering services: Buffet, Cocktail Reception, Family Style, French Ser...
Maximum capacity: 1000
Bar services: Cash Bar, Limited Bar, Open Bar
Alcohol services: Champagne Toast, House Beer, House Wine, Premium Liq...
Quality of Service:
Responsiveness:
(4.7 / 5.0)
Professionalism:
Value:
(4.9 / 5.0)
Flexibility:
  • Flexibility: 5.0

We loved Chef by Design from our first meeting with them. They took time to get to know us and what our ideas were for our wedding day. We had difficulty deciding what foods to choose at our tasting because every single bite was delicious. The service on our wedding day was amazing--anytime a server would walk by us, they would check to see if we needed anything. The food was again delicious and we loved having our goody bag for the end of the night!

• Wedding: 10/18/2014
  • Flexibility: 5.0

A pleasure to work with and a creative and talented chef! I was pleased with the price, food, service and presentation. We had a perfect gourmand-approved menu. We special requested a pizza station for our wedding and Chef By Design made it happen with 2 kinda of flatbread pizza set up on a butcher block - nice!

The CAKE: The cake. Off the chain! Compliments all night on how it was the best wedding cake people had ever eaten! CBD makes chiffon cakes, not that traditional dense stuff. It's made FRESH the night before and refrigerated, NEVER frozen. Ours had Nutella in it - watch out! Crowd pleaser!

• Wedding: 10/04/2014
Liz
  • Flexibility: 5.0

Amazing team to work with from start to finish.

• Wedding: 10/04/2014
Alicia
  • Flexibility: 5.0

By far the best catering experience we've ever had!!! We will never use another caterer. Marcy, the co-owner, was wonderful to work with and helped us plan the perfect reception for our daughter. Both my daughter and son-in-law (and all of the guests!) loved the food; it was displayed beautifully and was delicious!! And there were so many great options to choose from, including vegan and vegetarian, gluten-free, etc. Our guests are still raving about the crab cakes and the mashed potato bar! We love this caterer!

• Wedding: 09/27/2014
Services Used: Catering, Event Rentals & Photobooths
Jane
  • Flexibility: 5.0

Chef by Design had a huge variety of menu items. They were able to provide everything that we requested. The food was incredible. They were very delightful, professional and accommodating. We would highly recommend this company to anyone who is planning a special event.

• Wedding: 08/09/2014
Rick
  • Flexibility: 5.0

Fantastic! Ok here's the deal: There are alot of caterers that can pump out food. There are few that can create meals that are as delicious, thoughtful, satisfying, and high-end as Chef by Design Catering Co. The staff are incredibly friendly and active listeners who want your event to be better than expected. They hire wait staff who have the same values as the owners... it is not a wonder to us that they are fast gaining the stellar reputation and growing a client list that such an excellent business deserves. Our guests raved about how good the food and service was and that made us proud as hosts.

• Wedding: 07/19/2014
Sara
  • Flexibility: 5.0

Chef By Design catered my wedding reception July 12, 2014 and did an AMAZING job! I cannot say enough good things about Marcy and Joanie and their entire staff. Right up to my wedding, they were very responsive, open to my ideas, full of even more ideas, and just great to work with. My husband and I wanted specific themes at 3 different stations to represent our different food tastes, so the variety made it complicated. But you would never know that because Chef By Design made it look easy. The food was AWESOME, and my family and friends are still talking about it a month later. At our tasting we got to talk to the chef in person and ask questions, make changes, etc. We requested a few minor changes, and they nailed it at our wedding. Besides the food quality, their staff was so attentive and went above and beyond at our reception. My husband can't eat spinach, so even though our guests were having a spinach salad, Chef By Design served my husband a special salad with different greens. Also, as soon as we sat down for our meal, our guests started approaching us to talk and congratulate us. Marcy was so observant and offered to make an announcement so that our guests would give us a chance to eat first. She had just had shoulder surgery and was still in a sling but still attended our wedding. We were so impressed, and I highly recommend Chef By Design as a caterer. I wouldn't have changed a thing.

• Wedding: 07/12/2014
  • Flexibility: 5.0

Chef by Design was amazing, delicious and very easy to work with! I wanted to keep the day simple and easy. They helped me make sure I had enough, but not too much and the right combination of food and decorations. They worked within my budget and I never felt pressured to spend more or do more than I was comfortable with. They were very responsive by email and phone. They were always very friendly and I really believe they wanted to make the day special. For instance, we happened to run out of wine (our wedding reception site allowed outside alcohol) without any hesitation they offered to do a wine run for us on the spot! It was great, taken care of and we didn't have to worry about anything. Also......the food was amazing...especially the cake!!!! They have lots of food choices and were also very willing to make adjustments for some of my guests with food allergies and for kids. We would without hesitation hire them again and highly recommend them.

• Wedding: 06/28/2014
Suzy
  • Flexibility: 5.0

Marcy and her husband were amazing to work with. They helped create a special menu for our wedding (Shrimp & chicken skewers, avocado and squash on the skewers, over rice pilaf with grilled asparagus wrapped with carrot on the side). The food was beautiful and delicious and cooked onsite, which was hard to find in some caterers. Great communication & service.

• Wedding: 06/07/2014
  • Flexibility: 5.0

It was such a pleasure to have worked with Chef by Design Catering Co. for our wedding. We worked closely with Joanie and Marcy and cannot say enough good things about them! We were planning our wedding while living in another state and they really worked with our limited schedules to get things done. They also took a lot of work off of our shoulders by handling many of the event rentals such as the tent, dance floor, tables, chairs, napkins, silverware, glassware, bars, etc. They stuck to our vision and executed it perfectly. We really enjoyed the food tasting a few months before our big day, but hearing how amazing the food was from our guests was even better! Chef by Design Catering Co., Marcy, and Joanie turned our dream wedding day into a reality!!

Chef by Design Catering Co. responded with the following comments:

Meredith - You guys were a DREAM for us to work with! Thank you for trusting us with so much of your special day! We wish you both the very best, and hope you will stay in touch with us! Much love ~ Marcy, Joanie and team xoxo

• Wedding: 05/31/2014
Meredith
  • Flexibility: 5.0

It's hard to give a perfect review, because nothing is perfect, but looking back on our wedding 3 months ago, I can't say I wish something went differently with regards to the catering. Chef by Design was a pleasure to work with. They were encouraging, supportive, and extremely flexible. They are really busy but made time to get back to our questions/concerns. They will not be the most affordable caterer, but the quality is unbelieveable and the staff is really professional. We received so many compliments about our food and service. A major bonus was the staff's familiarity with our other vendors and venue. They frequently cater at the Water Table (which is where we had our ceremony/reception), and it made our lives so much easier as they made our vision come to life. They worked so well with our other vendors, as well. I'm so appreciative for their work at our wedding to make everything to smoothly. I (the bride) did not have to worry about a thing!

• Wedding: Recently Married
Private User
  • Flexibility: 5.0

They really take the time to help you plan a menu that fits your budget, wants and theme of your event. The food is amazing and the staff was almost invisible and very polite and professional. They couldn't get the oven to work where our wedding was held and managed to get food cooked and back with out missing a beat! We didn't even know this happened until after wedding! Truly amazing caterers and would have a party just hire them!

• Wedding: 05/03/2014
Elizabeth
  • Flexibility: 5.0

By far the best catering service ever. They work with you to plan a menu that suites your tastes, event, and budget. The staff was excellent, we had butler passed items and they were very courteous, professional and cleaned up to the point you'd not even known they'd been there. They made a plate of 2 of everything for my husband and I without being asked which was very much appreciated. We found out after the wedding that they couldn't make the oven work at our location and managed to cook somewhere else and get the food back in time and hot! The food at weddings is usually forgettable but people raved about our food for weeks after the event. I can't wait for a reason to have another party so we can hire them and eat their food again!

• Wedding: 05/03/2014
Elizabeth
  • Flexibility: 5.0

We worked with Joanie and Marci at Chef by Design for my daughter's wedding a few weeks ago. Kimberly was very particular about the types of food she wanted, how she wanted it displayed, and all the details most brides aren't typically concerned with (we like food!!). Chef by Design worked with us every step of the way to make everything perfect for us. The food was outstanding, the staff was helpful and polite, and they all went the extra mile to make us and our guests feel comfortable and happy. We would absolutely recommend them and can't wait to hire them again for our next event!!

• Wedding: 11/02/2013
  • Flexibility: 5.0

Chef By Design has a reputation for being one of the best catering companies in the area and I found out first-hand how they truly go out of their way to ensure your event is a memorable experience. I contracted with Chef By Design to cater my wedding but quickly found out that they do so much more for their clients. Our tasting appointment was very personalized and relaxed. The staff made sure they were checking in with us to see what we liked and didn't like but also gave me and my fiance some space to discuss our menu during the tasting. At Chef By Design they were happy to change up some of their standard dishes to fit our needs and tastes, but we didn't have too change much because their food is amazing. Other catering companies we consulted with left us feeling underwhelmed with impersonal, rushed consultations and just did not provide overall the level of service we were looking for. Chef By Design representatives even attended my site walk-through. I could tell they were as excited about the event as I was and appreciated that they took the time on a weekend to come and provide suggestions and solutions as we worked through event logistics.
On the day of our wedding I can't tell you how fantastic it was to not worry about anything related to our bar, food or service. Not only were the servers and bartenders that work for Chef By Design professional and polite, but the company also handles "back of the house"/ behind the scenes services most brides don't realize are crucial to a well executed event. During our buffet dinner guests were never left waiting for a dish and we never ran out of food. I still get compliments over a year later from guests on how much they loved the food at our wedding.
If you are looking for a high level of service with quality food and impeccable execution for your wedding or next event, definitely check out Chef By Design. They will work with you at all stages of the planning process to ensure your day goes off without a hitch!

• Wedding: 10/12/2013
Ariel
  • Flexibility: 5.0

Chef By Design was amazing. The staff was friendly and helpful and the food was to die for! I did not have to lift a finger during or after the wedding. Joanie Powell was awesome to work with and answered any questions I had. The guests loved the food and the friendly staff!!!!

• Wedding: 10/04/2013
757-496-3900
Please let this vendor know you found them on WeddingWire

My Awards