Carnegie Institution of Washington

Responsiveness
Professionalism
Value
Flexibility

I didn't have a wedding at the Carnegie Institution for Science but I did have a fundraising event that was a cocktail reception and seated dinner. However, the venue is extremely conducive to weddings. The rotunda and ballroom are fabulous! I would highly recommend this venue to anyone who asks.

Services Used: Ceremony & Reception Venue

The Carnegie Institution for Science is hands down the best place for an intimate wedding and reception, all in one place! It is grand on a small scale, perfect for 80-150 guests. Becky and the rest of the staff are responsive before and during the event and willing to work creatively with vendors to make any bride's vision for her wedding a reality. We LOVED getting married at Carnegie.

Services Used: Ceremony & Reception Venue

So glad we chose the Carnegie for our wedding! It was love at first sight; such an elegant and grand setting that worked perfectly for our small-ish wedding of 110 guests. Becky and all the Carnegie staff worked seamlessly with our wedding planner and were always helpful, responsive and professional.

The Carnegie is such a unique venue and our guests were blown away by the architecture and historic details. We chose to have our ceremony in the round and received so many compliments on the set-up. The photos we took on the portico are especially breathtaking! Just make sure to book well in advance, it is so worth it!

Private User
1+ year ago

The Carnegie is simply a spectacular venue and the team there could not be nicer and more responsive. The best part about the venue is that it is so elegant you can get away with adding very little to it and it still shines and wows the guests.

Services Used: Ceremony & Reception Venue

I had a dream wedding-- and it was in large part to being married in a dream building. Booking the Carnegie Institution was the FIRST thing I did as a newly engaged bride. The staff, notably, Becky-- helped me set everything up with such ease. I fell in love with the venue and had dreams of walking down the spiral staircase. Becky and the Carnegie Institution made it possible and all of our out of town guests had so much fun and said they had never seen such an amazing/beautiful venue! Thanks, Becky!

Tina
10/04/2013

We absolutely loved this venue and received countless compliments on our wedding night of how beautiful, unique, and perfect it was!

Becky and Amanda at the Carnegie were so helpful with everything from providing measurements so I could buy decor, providing recommendations, support with meeting vendors at the venue for walk throughs, and assistance with storage the day before the wedding. They are very professional and helpful!

The space itself is simply gorgeous and cannot be beat when it comes to price and beauty in the DC area. Comparable venues that we saw cost nearly double.

We paid extra to use the main doors and purchased an extra hour as the base package of 4 hours was too short since we held our ceremony there as well. If using the Carnegie for your ceremony, definitely have your chairs set up in a circular pattern. It was intimate, beautiful and my guests were raving that it was the best venue they had ever been to. The bride's suite is an upstairs library which is perfect for unique photos and allows you to peek downstairs at everyone coming in!

We booked this venue over a year in advance and had to settle for a Friday date since it books so quickly on Saturdays but it was totally worth it and I would not have changed a thing! Thanks, Carnegie staff for maintaining such a gorgeous piece of DC!

Services Used: Ceremony & Reception Venue

The Carnegie was the perfect venue for our wedding. The staff was excellent to work with and made sure our special day was perfect. The site itself is absolutely beautiful right in downtown DC near DuPont Circle. Our guests were blown away with how nice our venue was.

I would highly recommend the Carnegie Institution to anyone that is looking to married in DC.

Services Used: Ceremony & Reception Venue

Alexis and the Carnegie team were amazing. They have hosted many events so the entire team is extremely knowledgeable about local event policies as well as those for their venue. A big part of why we chose them is that you get the use of the full venue for your day, they only schedule one event per day, and it was and visual that we wanted at the best price point in the city. The marble floors, beautiful skylights and details meant that we didn't have to invest a lot of extra money into heavy decor also! I can't say enough wonderful things about this venue and the events team.

Services Used: Ceremony & Reception Venue

After extensively looking for a non-hotel venue that could hold more than 120 people in DC that I could afford, I finally found Carnegie. From the minute I contacted the venue (even before I was engaged!), Alexis Fleming was extremely responsive and helpful and she continued to be so throughout the entire process. I went to the venue and it was as beautiful as I thought it would be and booked that day for 15 months out. This is truly a hidden gem and it made the wedding. Though there was a pretty steep 15% holiday weekend up-charge, fortunately, there was also a 10% military discount. There are also a few significant costs that you’ll likely want ($800 to open the portico, $300/hour for extra hours for set-up or a longer event), so in the end the price may wind up higher than you planned, but it’s definitely worth it. To have the extra rooms to set up and have a separate bride and groom rooms is awesome (and for Jewish brides, the library works great for the ketubah signing). So much about the venue is amazing – the incredible spiral staircase, getting married in the round so no one is more than 5 rows away from you, the beautiful façade, and the vaulted ceilings. Just gorgeous. Two concerns I had were the acoustics and fitting guests into the ceremony and ballroom. The DJ was able to accommodate the echoing in the rotunda and he had a speaker in the ballroom – I think another speaker would have been helpful and possibly one on the portico as it was hard to get people to dinner as the people there couldn’t hear the DJ. As for the guests, I had 17 tables and 163 people and though it was cozy, it definitely fit comfortably. The ballroom did get hot during dinner and that was with the doors open and having perfect 72-degree weather outside; I’m not sure how to rectify that except maybe to bring in fans for the ballroom. Overall, Carnegie is an amazing venue both because of the fantastic event planners and the venue itself! I highly recommend it!

Services Used: Ceremony & Reception Venue

We absolutely loved Carnegie for our wedding ceremony and reception venue. My husband is from New Zealand and I am from DC, so we wanted to make sure we had a really "DC" venue for all our overseas guests. Carnegie ticked all the boxes and our guests loved it. We love how well maintained the space is and the different rooms that can be used for the ceremony, cocktail hour and the reception. We held our ceremony in the Rotunda and I was able to come down the spiral staircase which made a beautiful entrance. We paid for use of the Portico and it was great to have the big doors open for cocktail hour so guests could mingle out on the steps and enjoy the nice spring weather. The ballroom was a great size for our group (100 guests at 13 tables), although you could definitely put more in there. Dancing in the Rotunda was a lot of fun and made for some very cool pictures!

The Carnegie staff was very easy to work with and responsive to emails. My main point of contact was Becky and she always answered by questions quickly. They were also very accommodating in terms of viewing the space more than once and scheduling rehearsal time. I liked that they were able to store our additional alcohol over the weekend so that we didn't have to pay an expensive weekend pick-up fee from the alcohol supplier. It was also great that they do not stipulate which vendors may work in the space so we did not feel restricted in our choices. The only slight issue was that vendors can only start loading into the space 2.5 hours before the event begins. Several of my vendors commented that this was a bit tight and therefore they needed to bring a few extra staff. Thankfully most my vendors had worked at Carnegie before, though, so they knew the layout and this was not a big problem.

Overall Carnegie is a gorgeous DC venue and a great price for the area!

Services Used: Ceremony & Reception Venue

Carnegie is an architecturally beautiful site, well maintained and reasonably priced, but access was a problem. My planner had difficulty getting into the venue early on the day of the wedding to set up so it was a scramble to complete the set-up.

Services Used: Ceremony & Reception Venue

My husband and I really wanted to have our wedding someplace unique and beautiful, and we absolutely fell in love with the Carnegie once we saw what an amazing space it is. We had about 145 guests, and everyone fit comfortably in the ballroom for dinner. The rotunda is an amazing dance floor, and the lighting through the grand front doors during our first dance was fantastic. Becky and Alexis were incredibly responsive and helped us make sure that everything ran smoothly.

Private User
2+ years ago

Let me start off by saying that having my wedding at the Carnegie was one of the best decisions I made regarding my wedding. The Carnegie played an integral part in my vision of an elegant wedding. If you've ever been inside, you know how gorgeous and absolutely breathtaking the space is. All of my guests were raving all night long about the building and its beauty. And the building is surprisingly versatile too! We had our ceremony in the Rotunda like most others, but we actually had our chuppah in the middle, with guests sitting all around us. It made for an incredibly unique and personal ceremony. It was also great to have three separate "rooms" (the Rotunda, Boardroom, and Ballroom) that were equally stunning and full of character for the different events of the night, as opposed to the standard hotel ballroom (one looks like the next, doesn't it?) that has to be dressed up with so much artificial decor (like neon lighting) to make it look nice.

Additionally, from day one it was very obvious that the staff the Carnegie hires is extremely professional and they will not disappoint. I had a great time working with Alexis and Becky in the weeks leading up to my wedding. They were so responsive and on top of everything. During the walkthrough, Becky made helpful suggestions about lighting and took notes on some of my quirky preferences for the reception layout. Michelle Fischer, the person on site during the actual wedding, was fabulous as well. She worked behind the scenes to make sure everything I requested was carried out seamlessly.

Finally, like most others, it's important to note how flexible the Carnegie is. You can bring your own alcohol, there is no restriction on red wines, they allow you to use their tables and chairs free of charge, and you can choose your own caterer, which is a huge plus. I highly, highly recommend holding your wedding at the Carnegie!

Services Used: Ceremony & Reception Venue

Carnegie was a stunning venue for my wedding ceremony and reception. Becky and Alexis were wonderfully helpful as we navigated planning the wedding. The only negative I have is that the venue reports the capacity to be 150-170 (depending on where you look), and with 125 guests, the size was perfect; I would not recommend this venue for events larger than that. Other than that, though, it was an amazing venue with gorgeous architecture and great staff. It's a great "uniquely DC" sort of venue that's a little off the beaten path, while still being downtown. My out-of-town guests loved the location and the venue itself!

Services Used: Ceremony & Reception Venue

We held our wedding reception at the Carnegie Institution for Science on December 1, 2012, and had an absolute blast. The venue is GORGEOUS and our guests raved and raved about the rotunda, board room, and ballroom space. Several of our guests went upstairs to take pictures of the dancing in the rotunda below. Plus, our wedding party had a great time taking pictures in the library and relaxing. Alexis is amazing to work with...extremely responsive and helpful. The venue is pricey, but extremely reasonable in D.C. and you can't beat the location or the classic D.C. building. I would highly recommend the Carnegie to any future brides!

Services Used: Ceremony & Reception Venue

The Carnegie is a GORGEOUS venue and value, especially considering the high prices of wedding venues in DC. They are booked pretty far in advance, so you may have to be flexible with your wedding date (we reserved our 11/10/12 wedding in September of 2011), but it is so worth it!

The building itself is nothing short of stunning, and every one of our 120 guests has mentioned how gorgeous it was. We did a vintage travel-themed wedding, so I wanted a location that kept with the monumental look of DC (my husband and I met in DC), and also had a historic feel about it. I could not have found a more perfect location that melded these two elements. We didn't have much to spend on decorations or flowers, which was not a problem with the beautiful architecture and decór that is already present in the space. We kept the decorations to a minimum and had a small collection of vintage suitcases and travel items, and it worked perfectly. Also, the Board Room, where the bar is typically placed, also worked great to hold our photo booth. The acoustics in the rotunda aren't the best for a DJ, but it was great for the accordionist that we hired to play French and jazz tunes during the cocktail hour. Also, the space looks amazing when photographed!

If you have room in your budget, rent the main entrance (bronze double doors and front steps facing 16th St. NW)! It gives a feeling of grandeur, and guests will appreciate the feeling of entering a concert hall or other elegant venue.

The staff was very friendly and professional, and gave us a fantastic list of suggested vendors to work with, all of whom have years of experience working with the Carnegie. Also, unlike other establishments, the list is truly a "suggestion", and you can work with other vendors if you prefer, and won't find yourself trapped into working with a small, limited list of vendors.

An amazing value overall!!!