Cake Sensations

Professionalism
Value
4.2
Flexibility

I can't say enough good things about Cake Sensations!

I was worried that following a vegan diet would mean dry or tasteless cake but it was completely the opposite. The two-tiered vegan cake was a hit and the assortment of cupcakes (including gluten-free) were a highlight for many of our guests. To top it all off, it wasn't just tasty, it was beautiful too. Cake Sensations gave me my dream wedding cake to top off my dream wedding.

I highly, highly recommend them.

Services Used: Wedding Cake

We ordered our wedding cake from Cake Sensations and were delighted! I immediately felt a connection with Judy as we worked out the details of what the cake might look like. Unlike previous vendors I had met with, Judy was great-- we bounced ideas off each other to develop the design. The tasting was also good, where she provided miniature sized cupcakes in each of the available flavours. This is unlike other vendors I met with who only allowed tasting of some of their cake flavours or who produced 10 gigantic cupcakes for a tasting between two people. Judy was also great for pricing things out as we went, noting what would increase or decrease the price. I found the cake to be a bit on the expensive side, but they did make the pricing clear from the outset, with suggestions on cost cutting measures. It was well worth the cost in the end!

When I came in for the second meeting about a month before the wedding, I had some new ideas for the design, and we ended up changing many aspects of it-- Judy rolled with it no problem and again it was easy for us to bounce ideas off each other.

When we finally saw the cake at the wedding, it was absolutely exquisite. It also tasted great!!

Overall, I would highly recommend this vendor as they were professional, friendly, accommodating, and did very high quality work.

Services Used: Wedding Cake

We really loved the wedding cake we ordered from Cake Sensations. Judy did a fantastic job - she created us a cake that we absolutely loved. It was flavourful and moist; our guests seemed to love it too - several even went back for second or third helpings! Not only was it tasty, but the cake also looked fabulous. We had a vintage-themed wedding and the top and bottom tiers of the cake had a delicate lace pattern on the fondant, which our guests remarked was very beautiful and a really nice added touch. From the start to the finish the process was easy and fun (we had a great time at our cake tasting), and seeing our gorgeous wedding cake, just as we had ordered it, was wonderful. Everyone we dealt with at Cake Sensations was friendly, helpful and professional. I would definitely recommend Cake Sensations to other brides.

1 person found this review helpful

Judy did an excellent job on our cake! It was a beautiful 4 tier red to gold ombré ruffle beauty with a cute cartoon character cake topper of us (bride and groom)! It turned exactly like we wanted!

The cake was super moist and delicious which was the most important part for me! And surprisingly it was all eaten! My planner told us that in 9 years of wedding planning she had never had a wedding cake completely eaten!

Key lime was the best flavour btw!

The only annoying thing was that 2 days before the wedding I was sent an invoice for a cake stand which was supposed to be included in the original contract, and if not would have been included in our decor budget with my planner. My planner clarified that this was a mistake by Judy's staff, but was still annoying and the only reason I rated her a 4 for professionalism.

While the cake was beautiful and delicious I rated the value as 4, because it was quite expensive. I don't know what the price would have been like anywhere else but I would recommend shopping around if you can. I'm not quite sure if it was worth approximately $2250 (this includes cake, topper, transport and all other fees associated with the cake). We did not have this luxury, but overall were quite happy with the end product!

Cake Sensations responded with the following comments:

We are pleased that Sheila is happy with her Cake Sensations wedding cake and that her guests finished the entire cake! It did indeed look beautiful! At our consultation, in February, we explained to Sheila that the stand specified on the contract was not a decorative stand, but an internal, structural support stand, required for the cake design chosen by the couple. The bride and groom also mentioned they might decide to rent a gold display stand, but would get back to us.
Two weeks before the wedding, we were corresponding with the wedding planner regarding other details, and inquired about the gold display stand rental. After much back and forth, the decision was conveyed to us that Sheila would rent the gold stand. We were not informed that this rental fee was to come out of their "design budget" until after we sent the invoice. Since our contract was with the couple, we sent the invoice to the couple. We assumed that Sheila was fully involved in the decision, through our communications with the wedding planner.
We're not sure how Sheila concluded that the cake was quite expensive as she indicated that she didn't have the luxury to shop around. A significant investment of our artists' time was required to produce such an elaborate cake with custom-made toppers to resemble the couple.
The contract clearly details the cost of Sheila's elaborate 4-tier cake at $1,500 plus $400 of optional extras and a refundable security deposit of $350. Online, the additional cost of toppers made to look like the couple in their customized wedding outfits would have been substantially higher than our pricing. Additional costs were for the delivery and set-up of the cake by a cake artist and assistant, a Cake Sensations service not provided by all cake companies.
We received this email from Sheila after the wedding "Thanks for the beautiful cake! It was delicious, we are still eating our top tier! I hope to work with you again in the future for an anniversary cake perhaps!:)!"

Services Used: Wedding Cake

Thank you Judy for creating my dream wedding cake! We received so many compliments on how it looked and tasted. I finally got a chance to taste a bit and it was delicious. It was great working with you, you made it look even better than I had pictured for it to be.
I will definitely recommend you to my friends and family.

4.7

We had such an amazing experience working with Judy at Cake Sensations. There were so many delicious flavours to choose from, it was hard to narrow down to just 2 in our wedding cake. We received so many compliments at our reception about how gorgeous the cake looked and also how delicious it tasted. The cake really was a work of art - an Africa-themed two-layer masterpiece, since my husband and I got engaged on top of Mt. Kilimanjaro in Tanzania and went on safari after. I can't imagine anything more perfect for our wedding!

1.8

I am very disappointed with cake sensations and i would not reccomend this vendor! First, this vendor was not responsive! i had to chase her several weeks just to get some info.! The decoration of my wedding cake was Average! She charged $1,800 to excute a cake half of it was a styrofoam! Honestly i dont feel much effort was put into it! The taste was average too with several flavours, and that was the guests' feedback too! The vendor ( Judy) advertises heavily for her services but the delivered cake would not have the same fantastic taste of her samples neither the 'wow' factor of decorations that she carries arround! Also, watch out for hidden fees, in my case she did not return full deposit for few days delay in returning a bunch of disposables; (boards $ pillars) which shows no flexibility as part of rating!!

Cake Sensations responded with the following comments:

We are extremely shocked to read this review after the email we received from Soha 3 days after her wedding which read, "Hi Judy! Thanx for the amazing cake! Beautiful!!!" Exact Quote.
We responded to multiple phone calls and emails, met for a longer-than-average complimentary consultation. The cake flavours were exactly the same as the samples Soha tasted and loved.
The Styrofoam portion was at the Bride's request, despite being advised that Styrofoam tiers don't greatly reduce the cost of a cake since most of the cost is for decorating time, not baking or ingredients. This was a four-tiered centre-piece standing 3 feet tall, covered with hand-made edible details. The edible displays between tiers were illuminated. During the complimentary consultation, we offered several options for cost reduction which Soha declined.
The "hidden fees" Soha refers to were not for disposables, but for the late return of structural items used in the cake. This late fee is clearly explained in the contract and was voluntarily reduced by 65% by Cake Sensations, as a goodwill gesture. Despite the terms of the contract stating that the couple are responsible for returning the structural items, which are free-of-charge but must be returned within 3 days of the wedding, and discussing this at our consultation in detail, we received an email from Soha, 3 days after the wedding, asking if we had picked up the items at the venue. We emailed to let her know we could pick up the items at the venue, for a charge of $75.00 (75 km). The components were eventually returned to us by a friend of Soha's, 11 days after the wedding. The main cake plate was not returned at all, but was retrieved at the venue by our staff, for which we only charged $25.00.
Although we are very disappointed to read Soha's surprising review, we stand by our reputation as being a company that exceeds the expectations of our couples and we have thousands of very satisfied clients and wedding guests that would agree.

Services Used: Wedding Cake

This vendor provided us with our wedding cupcakes. When we first met up with them, they provided a fantastic sample platter and had a variety of flavors to choose from. We went with orange, lime, butter pecan, chocolate and a few other yummy choices. They set up cupcakes just like we had requested at our reception. Everything was fantastic- definitely recommend this vendor if you're looking for a wedding cake in Calgary!

Private User
1+ year ago
4.7

We found a picture of a cake at a wedding show and when we presented it to Judy, she had never before created a cake quite like the one we chose. However you never would have known it! The cake turned out beautifully! It was a stand-out on our wedding day, with many of our guests going over and gawking at it during the reception and cocktail hour. Also, after taste testing multiple cakes, we found that Judy's cakes were by far the most moist and delicious.

The only downside we encountered with Cake Sensations was the communication after the cake was chosen and the deposit given. Even after emailing and phoning to get information about final payment methods and to confirm delivery, we would not hear back for days to a week. This did add a bit of unnecessary stress to the final weeks before the wedding, but it was all undue, as Judy ensured the cake was perfect and was delivered in perfect shape exactly on time.

I would recommend Cake Sensations to ANY of my friends with future wedding plans - in Calgary or anywhere in the region, as we got married in Banff and Cake Sensations delivered our beautiful cake there no problem!

Joni
07/03/2014
4.7

We rented our wedding cake from Cake Sensations. The decoration and craftsmen ship of their cakes is above all other cakes i've seen! The cake we wanted happened to be too large for my vehicle so last minute we were able to pick a different one - which was beautiful as well. If you want an elegant cake I would recommend Cake Sensations!

Private User
1+ year ago

Everything was excellent. The cake was absolutely beautiful and delicious! Our planning meeting was so easy and comfortable that I knew I wanted to choose Cake Sensations from the beginning. There were models, styrofoam tiers to play with, and lots of pictures for inspiration. It made designing a cake easy and the visuals made me confident in my choice. Judy was also happy to make a dairy free tier for me, which most vendors wouldn't do. She also made the cake fit in my budget by adjusting the sizes of the tiers while keeping the height.

She also made a croquembouche for the groom's cake. It was incredible! Very tasty and very pretty.

We were completely satisfied.

Ashley
05/03/2014
3.1

Firstly, I must start by mentioning the positives. I am a gluten free bride and our wedding cake was delicious. Additionally, it was beautiful and constructed perfectly. However, we experienced communication issues with this vendor that were stressful. Note, she wanted payment in full 6 weeks before the wedding but does not make this clear in her correspondences. This lead to stress for the people that went to pick up the cake. We had sent her the money transfer online the week before the wedding as we had done with all our vendors and sent the people going to pick up the cake with the cash deposit (which she would not accept a cheque to hold without having time to deposit it which seems strange to me for a deposit) and she demanded that the balance be paid in full from the people that picked up the cake even though we had already sent her the money. After sorting things out with her, she then informed us that we should have paid 6 weeks prior and that the e-transfer was missed by her. What I don't understand is why we didn't receive an email reminder from her about payment 6 weeks earlier because is it such a strange payment schedule. We would have gladly cleared things up then. My honest interpretation is that we didn't receive the same level of service because of our comparatively low budget compared to the other brides she works with. As well, given how small our wedding cake was (it was smaller than I had expected), I do not feel it was good value especially because it was essentially just a white cake with ribbon on it. That said, it was perfectly executed. All in all, the service we received was dissapointing, I don't feel we got the cake we should have for the money we spent, but that said, our gluten free cake was both beautiful and delicious.

Cake Sensations responded with the following comments:

It was a pleasure to make Ashely's wedding cake. We are so very sorry that the payment terms caused stress. That is why we have them clearly marked in the contract, signed by the bride or groom at the time of placing their wedding cake order, to prevent confusion. We extended the payment schedule to accommodate this couple's situation. When final email transfer didn't arrived until 2 days prior to the wedding, despite several reminders, it was missed amid weekend wedding deliveries. When the cake was being picked up, the individual was asked for the cash balance, which we had explained by email, several days prior. There were no "demands", just a pleasant conversation.
We give equal service to all clients, regardless of the size or value of their order, recognizing that every wedding is an important day!.
We feel that it is important that all couples know exactly what they are ordering, so at this, and every consultation meeting, we assemble a display cake that is the exact size of the cake that is being ordered. We also provide samples of our cake flavour choices, so that they can taste them, also.
We are very disappointed that this bride was unhappy with her order, as we did everything we could to explain, and show her what her cake would look and taste like.

Services Used: Wedding Cake

Our cake was gorgeous and I was told it tasted amazing (we were too busy to try any yet!) Judy added my fresh lillies and matched my vision perfectly!