Belle Isle

Belle Isle

Favorite
Detroit, MI
Is this your business? Claim this listing
• Customize your Storefront with your business info
• Network with and learn from other professionals
• Showcase your work with photos & videos
• Collect reviews from your clients and build more credibility

2.6
Profile Picture
Private User
Recently Married
1.8

Very hard to get in contact with the administative office. I'm from detroit but live out of town and the business office would not answer the phone nor return phone calls so I had to drive into town twice after paying for the facilities to speak to people. No refunds. The fountain was beautiful but was not reserved for just us as there was a wedding taking place on the other side at the same time. The information on the website for contact info is out of date. Only continued dealing with them because i had already paid.

2.0

HORRIBLE staff. Darlisa was completely unresponsive and caused excessive unnecessary stress for me when it came to organizing the details or my wedding. She was nearly impossible to reach, which left me with constant unanswered questions and made it difficult to communication clearly with other vendors. At one point I was trying to add additional time to my reception. Belle Isle requires you to make these additions a certain amount of time before your event date, and I had called over a month before this deadline to reserve my additional time. I left a message with Dan in the office, who never called me back and clearly didn't pass the message along. After attempting to reach Darlisa multiple times, I finally got the name of another employee who was apparently hired on to help with events. Kathryn, the alternate contact, booked my extra time for me. In the meantime, Darlisa informed me that I was technically past the deadline to secure this extra time and she couldn't guarantee that I would get the additional hours until payment was secured and the contract was updated. She took absolutely no responsibility for her lack of response and for the irresponsibility of herself and her staff.

This venue was beautiful, but my experience with the staff left a bad taste in my mouth. It was very affordable though, so I guess you get what you pay for.

Profile Picture
Chrissy
07/18/2015
0.1

The gardens are beautiful, but another bride showed up and tried to crash my wedding!!! Also, someone from the garden was rude to my husband and threatened to kick us out because we were still taking photographs at 5:30 even though we were renting the garden until 6pm (I have the signed contract to prove it). The week before my wedding they tried to charge me $11 per guest car for my guest to enter the park. The said they wanted cash only, would NOT to give the the $11 vouchers to my guest at the booth nor would they allow me or anyone else to do so. They tried to justify the total $1120 (350+770 in vouchers) by changing the terms of our contract. This was ONE WEEK BEFORE MY WEDDING! Thank goodness we kept copies of our signed contract and we have friends/family who work for the state. Long story short, they were not allowed to retroactively manipulate our contract. A few days prior to my wedding someone from the Belle Isle office called and tried to debate with me over the phone saying when I met her in person she explained that there might be a charge for entry later down the road. However, I never met with this woman and when she realized that she yelled at me saying "Well I have over 150 brides, I can't remember them all" Also, they have a bunch of rules including: no power on site, no generators allowed, no loud speakers, no amplifiers, no tossing of petals rice or anything, no decorations, no signs, no tents, no canopy, no runners on the grass, no more than 150 chairs (when I post my BAM you will see the garden can easily fit double) etc... They almost ruined the most important day of my life. There are many beautiful outdoor venues downtown now. Some are even by the water. Choose one of them instead.

Services Used: Ceremony & Reception Venue

I am SO happy that we had our ceremony in the Conservatory Gardens on Belle Isle. The gardens looked beautiful!! The staff was super nice throughout the entire processed. It went off without a hitch. Please remember when booking that you may experience private parties in the shelter next to the gardens that may be loud. There was a party there the day of our wedding but we didn't mind it at all. It was perfect!

4.3

The venue was absolutely beautiful for our Earth Day wedding. There were lillies and florals everywhere. Even with rain, it was a great location. We didn't really have a problem with getting the venue reserved but you are pretty much on your own after that. We set up an alter inside the main room there and the visitors gave us our space. We had a few onlookers but they were welcome to witness. They didn't interfere. Overall, good experience.

2.9

I had my wedding and reception at the belle isle casino On 7/11/10 it was very nice and clean set up was as i ask but the office staff was very rude so unprofessional at times and here it is October and we still haven't received our deposit back Through all of that I really enjoyed myself there

4.2

We used the Belle Isle Casino for both our wedding ceremony & reception. They did a great job, the place was clean & they set up the chairs & tables like we had requested. I wish i would have been able to tour the building before our wedding, but couldn't since they only gives tours one day per week when i had to work. It was a good value & a beautiful building. Loved the light up dance floor!

0.8

Used the conservatory for my wedding ceremony. I have to say it was incredibly beautiful and I would totally do it again but I can not say that it was an easy experience or even that it was a pleasant one. The people at the office were rude and disorganized and disinterested and the woman or actually the troll would be a better description who is at the conservatory was a nightmare. Rude, rude, RUDE and downright mean! If you want a breathtakingly beautiful spot for your ceremony use the conservatory, it was snowing madly outside the day of my wedding and it was summer inside! FABULOUS photos and so romantic! Just be prepared to be treated horribly to get it.

2.2

Belle Isle is a very special place to my husband and I. We went there on some of our first dates, and would take trips there during summers. When we became engaged, it was no question where we wanted to be married; the Belle Isle Flower Gardens and Conservatory, and have our reception at the Belle Isle Casino. They are both beautiful places, out of a storybook wedding. Our experience was closer to a nightmare.
The first day they were accepting bookings for 2007 weddings, I was waiting at 7am for the offices to open. I secured my date, 7-7-07, paid my deposits, and went on my way. Three weeks later, I recieved a phone call telling me I could no longer have my date, because they rescheduled another event, even though I was the first person on the books. I was very upset at this, but we eventually reached an agreement; I would get the next weekend, 7-14, for 25% off. We accepted, and continued with plans. I didn't find out until later that 7-14 was the weekend of the Belle Isle Boat Races, which we were NEVER told. We lucked out that it rained and they were cancelled, but we were terrified that there would be no parking, and boats driving during out outdoor ceremony.
Things are going fairly smoothly, although getting a return call is impossible with them, but payments are in, questions are answered, and all is ready for our wedding. The day of the rehearsal we showed up, wedding party in tow, and were ready to do the rehearsal. We saw a large group sitting around where we were about to rehearse, so we went inside the Conservatory to ask what the issue was. We were told we were not in the books for our rehearsal, even though we had booked it, and too bad. My fiance walked to the offices, the Conservatory staff called the office to let them know, and I spoke with one of the women at the office, who, after insulting me, said we could rehearse for 30 minutes, but we had to tell the other group they had to leave. The other group was nice enough to understand, but by the time they cleared out we were only left with about 15 minutes to rehearse. We were able to speed rehearse, so wedding day will surely go well, right?
We arrive at the Casino at 1pm, the earliest we could arrive, to set up. We didn't have too much time, since the ceremony was at 3, but with a bridal party, friends, and vendors, we were assured 4 hours would be plenty of time. When we arrived, the building was locked. We had to call maintenience to let us in, and when we got in, the building was not set up as the floorplan had been submitted. I mean, we were missing tables, chairs, doors were locked, there was junk piled everywhere (a broken tv, paper towel everywhere, garbage bag from the night before, and the bathroom was a mess). I started moving tables and cleaning things, while trying not to cry and mess up my makeup. I realized the area where we were supposed to have half of our buffet tables were locked, and the tables on the other side were uneven and wobbly. The head table was not placed either, and the floor was sticky! Yet again, we had to call maintenience, and they were very irritated about being called, and didn't help move anything, they just unloced the doors and left again. The bar was dirty, and really in bad condition. We did the best we could before we had to go to the ceremony (we were 10 minutes late because we had to clean stuff). Luckily my friends and family, as well as our vendors, were able to set up the reception hall, and it was beautiful, before the reception. However, I learned that the doors were locked again during the ceremony, and the guests could not enter the building for the reception, so they were stuck outside!
I know this is very long winded, but I would only reccomend Belle Isle Conservatory and Casino because it is a pretty location. The service, however, was rotten.