Barr Mansion & Artisan Ballroom

Flexibility
4.7
H&M2015
Recently Married

We loved Barr Mansion as a wedding venue. The food for our reception was top-notch and the house/overall area is beautiful. The staff was very helpful, friendly and courteous.

All of our guests enjoyed themselves and got the most out of Barr during their visit.

Services Used: Ceremony & Reception Venue

We got married at Barr Mansion in May 2015 and everything about this venue was perfect! The grounds are gorgeous, and you have full access to the main Victorian-style house, the glass-façade Ballroom, and the outdoor covered Farmstead. The grounds also include a rose garden, a big beautiful pecan tree, and gardens where they grow their own food. Guests ranted and raved about how spectacular the venue was and how they had never seen anything like it before!

Upon signing our contract with Barr Mansion, we were invited to monthly cocktail events where we got to sample appetizers and drinks, view decorations from different vendors, listen to DJs and string groups perform, and ask questions of the coordinators and staff on site. Also included is a harvest tasting, where you get to sample all the food that will be available to choose from on your wedding day. The venue prepares all their food on-site and offers selections based on which season your wedding is in and which foods are in harvest at that time. The food was absolutely amazing and everyone loved what we picked out!

The awesome thing about Barr Mansion is how much they do for you. All set-up and take-down is done by their staff, and they provide a full set of staff for the day of. They also provide a day-of coordinator, which was a huge selling point for us. Shanna was our coordinator and she was amazing! She knew exactly what to do and kept the ball rolling all day/night. She was very knowledgeable, personable, and easy to work with. She made the day-of seem like a breeze and we did not have to worry about anything!

This place in UNBELIEVABLE and I would HIGHLY recommend it!

Recently Married
3.4

This is a tough review to write. First and foremost, I have to say that venue presents it self beautifully, and provided the amazing indoor/outdoor options that we wanted to utilize. Our guests had an amazing time, and our wedding was picturesque (thanks in part to great weather). That was the good, now onto the most disappointing aspects of Barr Mansion:

1. The employee we signed our contract with at Barr Mansion quit shortly after. As such, it was like pulling teeth to get the venue to agree to terms that were offered and agreed upon in the contract.

2. When we signed the contract, we were advised that a "day of wedding coordinator" would not be necessary, as the venue provided this service. Thankfully, my wife talked me into getting one anyways. The lady the venue gave us was cold, uncooperative, forgetful, and at times obstinate. "The Customer is Always Right" was not a motto she lived by. I can only imagine the disaster that would have occurred if we had not hired our own coordinator, which luckily rendered Barr Mansion's employee useless day of. She got the last laugh, however, as she showed up to our wedding wearing a dress that was completely inappropriate, and made everyone in her presence uncomfortable.

3. We were told the staff would provide wine service during dinner, instead, they placed an unattended cart with bottles of wine outside the Farmstead, which caused our guests to have leave the dinner room to wait in line at a bar in the ballroom, which is what we wanted to avoid from the beginning.

In short, the venue is beautiful, the food is good, and you can bring your own booze, which are the most important items we considered. However, the people we worked with make things very difficult. Be very clear with what you agree to from the start, and be diligent to make sure they follow through with their promises.

Morgan Melissa
06/15/2014

My wedding was an absolute dream thanks to Barr Mansion. The process was easy, the coordinators were dependable, and the venue was absolutely breath taking. We traveled from out of the state to make our wedding happen in Austin and the distance seemed non existent because of the coordinators hardworking attitude and high quality of service.

Services Used: Catering, Ceremony & Reception Venue, Wedding Cake
1+ year ago

When I first got engaged I knew I had to go and see Barr Mansion. I had always heard how beautiful it was, and pictures do not do it justice, gorgeous! When I first contacted Barr Mansion for a showing, they were very responsive and helpful! After we decided to have the wedding brunch reception at Barr Mansion I was paired with Elyse Shumsky-Alcorn as our event coordinator. I was so lucky to have been introduced to Elyse and to have her at my side as our coordinator! She not only represents Barr Mansion with grace and class, but she also helped me tremendously with the stress and responsibilities that come with planning a wedding! She answered all emails promptly and professionally. She helps with all the tiny details that need to be taken care of. The actual wedding day: once we arrived at Barr Mansion the staff immediately greeted me, and I knew that the rest of the day would be smooth. Elyse was there right way with a water, and to offer me a glass of champagne - She then directed me to where I needed to be, in fact, she kept me on track throughout the wedding in a very discreet manner, so as not to interrupt a guest - I loved that about her, very thoughtful! She is really a terrific coordinator - she is organized, and a great communicator. The food was absolutely delicious, and I still have guests commenting about how good the food was, and how beautiful the venue was. The cakes were gorgeous, and tasted wonderful! Their efficiency in getting everything taken down was also very good, and fast! I would highly recommend working with Elyse at Barr Mansion, I had no stress, but pure Joy the whole day. Thank you Elyse and Barr Mansion for a wonderful experience.

1+ year ago

Barr Mansion was a fabulous venue for our wedding. It accommodated 100 people perfectly and the flow from the outdoor ceremony to the indoor reception was seamless. Our wedding coordinator Thea was easy to work with and so helpful with suggestions. The food was great and our wedding cake perfect.

Services Used: Catering, Ceremony & Reception Venue, Wedding Cake, Wedding Planning
Renna
05/25/2014

We had such a positive experience with Barr Mansion! We especially loved our coordinater, Thea. She was top-notch; I couldn't have asked for a better coordinator!!

Services Used: Ceremony & Reception Venue

This is the most beautiful venue! Our guests can't stop talking about how beautiful it was. Elyse took care of us like a pro and we would have given them 10 stars if it were available! The staff is fantastic and the wedding and reception went like clockwork. I would definitely recommend this venue.

B. Austin, Mother of the Bride

Ivonne
04/19/2014

Barr Mansion was absolutely gorgeous. All the staff is so friendly, helpful and flexible. Our coordinator was Thea, and we couldn't have asked for anyone better for us. She understood everything we envisioned and helped make it happen. Every detail was perfect that day thanks to the wonderful staff.

Ann
04/13/2014

Our wedding at the Barr Mansion was everything I hoped for. It was beautiful & the food was delicious. There aren't too many options for food selections, but that's because it's all organic, which was preferable to me. Even my friends with eating restrictions could eat almost everything because there were no hidden ingredients. They were also super helpful in ensuring my grandmother had enough sauce. The only problem I experienced was that I did not know the coordinator would not be there the entire night until she told me goodbye sometime between 8-9. Everything was well planned, so we didn't need her to be there, but it would have been nice to have known beforehand and to have had a secondary contact whom we had met before to speak with should any problems arise.

Services Used: Catering, Ceremony & Reception Venue, Wedding Cake
Catherine
03/22/2014
3.5

Thea was really great and my experience changed dramatically after she was assigned to me as my event planner. I would give her 5 stars across the board. My experience with Barr Mansion was less than impressive before Thea came on in January (I booked our event in November). Communication was poor and unorganized. I often felt like my event was not given the attention that other events were receiving due to our wedding being during the day and not the 'main event' for the night. Thea came in an took the time to give me all the information needed, answered all my questions, and did her best to make all things right. The day of the event, Thea was organized, calm and professional.

I would recommend Barr Mansion to others as long as they were working with Thea. The rest of The Barr Mansion staff definitely treats you like it's a privilege to be using their facility.

As far as the facility goes, the grounds are well kept and the space presents itself really well. The food was delicious (we had a brunch) and everything turned out beautifully. The cakes were pretty and everyone raved about the german chocolate grooms cake. Everything was set up on time and the layout was per our request.

Overall, it's a beautiful place to get married and it's nice to have a one stop shop that handles the food, tables, linens, set up, servers, etc. The staff could be more organized and friendly. Just make sure you get Thea.

1+ year ago

We got married at Barr Mansion at the end of February and everything was just perfect. The weather gods heard our prayers and gave us a brief 48 hours of fabulous weather. I loved workimg with Elyse! She was the best! She had some great suggestions and good opinions. I found her guidance to be invaluable. She was always very responsive to my questions and wildly prompt in summarizing our meetings and sending out follow up emails with work papers and plans. I thought the venue was perfect and looked beautiful. I especially appreciated that Elyse was always on time for our appointments; never had to wait; loved that!

Barr Mansion is a beautiful venue - with flexible options for ceremony, reception, and dinner/dancing. All of the staff was helpful throughout the entire event. I couldn't be happier - and I wouldn't change a thing. Loved every second of planning to the day of our wedding! Again - Elyse is just awesome - a great person, fun, and makes the entire process enjoyable and not stressful. Adore her!

1+ year ago

We got married the first weekend in February, and everything turned out perfectly! The staff at Barr Mansion are incredible! The weather the day of the wedding was crazy, and the plans had to be changed the week of the wedding. I was nervous how it would all turn out since I really wanted the ceremony outside, but everything looked so great!
Elyse Shumsky is the best! She was our day of wedding coordinator and contact during all of the planning stages! She answered all of my questions, and even offered suggestions of who to use for makeup, tent rental, etc. SHE IS AWESOME! I would have been so stressed the day of the wedding if she would not have been there!
Elyse and Andy are seriously the best! They handled any problems that came up the day of the wedding, and made sure everything started on time!
And the venue is awesome- everyone is still talking about how pretty everything was and how good the food tasted!

1+ year ago

Elyse Shumsky-Alcorn (our day-of wedding coordinator and point-of-contact up to the wedding day itself) was ABSOLUTELY AMAZING. She went above and beyond our expectations, and represented Barr Mansion incredibly well. She answered all of my emails promptly, I didn't have to worry one bit about coordination/flow issues on the day of, I was allowed to bring my photographer/parents/future in-laws on the site to show it off (just give them a heads up). Most of all, she catered to us personally (offered to grab us food and drink during the wedding reception). She gave us wonderful tips for our wedding, highlighting details my fiance and I had not even thought of. The highlight of my night was when she rescued our exit from the reception. We forgot to order sparklers, and some happened to be stored away (from previous weddings). Instead of just letting that go, she said we could use the spare ones. She revved up the crowd, and sent us on our way!!! Could NOT have asked for a better wedding coordinator...if the reception grounds and services offered alone do not convince you, Elyse is the BEST coordinator in Austin, Texas, and you'll definitely want her to help you plan your wedding.

Barr Mansion itself is beautiful!!!! Even at night, even if it was blizzarding or snowing or sleeting in Austin (threat of sleet is moderately high in Feb in Austin), the grounds are still so gorgeous. We were looking for a non-country but sweet place mixed with industrial or modern touches, and this was the place. The glass wall itself makes for an incredible backdrop in pictures (especially with the walkway lights glowing in the background at night). My friends and family kept on saying (with non-feigned enthusiasm), that the place was so elegant but not stuffy. Food was incredible! Cake and pie were incredible! Projects are in the works, I hope to see pics of it online when their additions are completed (more outside patio stuff I think). Get married/have your reception HERE!

Services Used: Ceremony & Reception Venue, Wedding Planning

We got married at Barr Mansion in early October 2013 and it was a fantastic experience. Barr provided us with everything we wanted in a venue: gorgeous grounds, a unique ballroom, delicious food, and an amazing coordinator.

The old Victorian house has such photogenic interiors and exteriors, which really gave the photographs an antique charm. When people see our photos, they always ask us where we got married because of how unique the spaces are especially for Texas. Guests also raved to me about the food, especially the beef tenderloin so I highly recommend having that on the menu. You can't go wrong with the food at Barr-- that part is taken care of if you book there.

One of the biggest perks of this place is that it comes with a coordinator, which in retrospect, I couldn't imagine the day without. Elyse, our coordinator, was the absolute best-- she's so organized yet low-key and efficient; plus, she's such a great person to be around and it made the wedding day all that more smooth. I miss working with her already.

Overall, Barr Mansion is a great place to get married in Austin if you're looking for something less conventional than a hotel reception and more elegant than a ranch. Plus, your photographers will thank you!

1 person found this review helpful

We LOVED our wedding at Barr Mansion! The facility is beautiful and provided the perfect setting for our romantic and fun wedding! We planned on getting married under the tree but due to the rain the day before we moved the ceremony inside. The windows in the ballroom gave us the feel of outside without the humidity :) it was beautiful! We worked with Elyse through our wedding process and she was great! She made sure everything was taken care of the day of the wedding so that my parents and family could enjoy the day! The guests raved about the food and how beautiful it all was!